Gateway SW-303 from HSU Research... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-15-2007, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey guys,

By now some of you might actually be noticing me as i am swarming the site filled with interest, to date by far the best website ive ever been to, some of you have outstanding HT setups (some i can only dream about... for now)

I have a Subwoofer manufactured by HSU Research, made for Gateway computers

If it IS really a POS, then its no biggie I got it for free! lucky there.

Its Gateway model is Gateway SW-303 for the Gateway HTiB KAS-303 HT system, the satellites, receiver, and DVD player that came with it suck totally, but the center channel and the Subwoofer do seem to be up there in quality.

My question to you all is, have ANY of you heard of HSU research? And are they any good? the subwoofer is quite impressive sounding really, 150W 4 ohm amplifier 10" Driver. I dont know everything on it as I didnt get any manuals with the system (Got the whole system free for helping out a friend, he got screwed buying it for $1,100!)

It already died on me once when the MOSFET outputs toasted, I've since replaced them and it works good.

I plan on giving it to my dad for his HT setup (he doesnt fully understand HT systems as he is a man from the Receiver power wars era and preffers his vintage audio equipment, however hes heard the subwoofer and actually loves it, I beleive his exact words were "I cant beleive how good that thing sounds for free"

Thinking about going with the Klipsch Synergy Sub-12, or the JBL LP8400. I know they are quite different as far as specs are concerned, but those are the 2 ive narrowed my search down too, Im looking for something that will make you not only feel the bass, but put a hole through the floor too (almost)

All comments welcome!

My Home Theater Thread

The real honest reason I am using my Bose, is because one of the JBL woofers blew out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
jeremy, welcome to the forum. first off hsu reaserch is a highly respected company here and their subs are among the best. as is svs, velodyne and jl audio. check all these subs out before your purchase. forget the jbl and klipsch. see these links to get you started into the world of sub research.
http://hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html
https://svsound.com/products-sub.cfm
http://home.jlaudio.com/
Check out craisubs updated list (He's a highly respected subwoofer guru around here)

Here is an updated list:

JL Audio Fathom 113: 103 points
Velodyne DD-18: 100 points
ACI Maestro: 97 points
JL Audio Fathom 112: 95 points
Hsu VTF-3 HO + Turbo: 94 points
Hsu VTF-3 HO w/o Turbo: 92 points
Hsu VTF-3 Mark III + Turbo: 92 points
Hsu VTF-3 Mark III w/o Turbo: 91 points
SVS PB12-Ultra: 90 points
Axiom EP-500: 90 points
Hsu VTF-2 Mark III + Turbo: 88 points
SVS PB12-Plus/2: 87 points
SVS PB12-NSD: 86 points
Hsu VTF-2 Mark III w/o Turbo: 86 points
Rocket UFW-12: 85 points (provisional)
Elemental Designs A2-300: 83 points
SVS PB10-NSD: 83 points
Rocket X-Sub: 78 points
BIC H-100: 78 points
Rocket Tyke: 60 points

I Hope this helps,
Leon

My sono build

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #3 of 9 Old 06-15-2007, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Jeremy, the sub is unlikely to be a POS. HSU is one of the best respected internet sub woofer brands. The sub is probably the best part of that system.

If you are looking to make a step up from that sub, the price range you are looking at should take you right back to HSU or take a look at SVS. For approximately $500, those two brands usually get you the best subs for the money. IMHO, you can do better with HSU or SVS than with the choices you mentioned.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2007, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. So you're saying that I actually got pretty lucky then? Thats sweet! Like my dad said, it sounds pretty damn good for free. I thought as much too, has nice deeep lows and ive never had a problem with it other than when i cooked the outputs.

I took a look at those websites, HSU makes some very nice subs, as does SVS, and JL audio.

I know that this is probably out of my price range, but the JL Fathom f113 has gotten me highly interested in it, Since I couldnt find a dealer anywhere near me (sadly) I am wondering what it costs MSRP? Id be interested in getting one used but I most likely wont find one used!

Im willing to scrape up some cash for one of those babies, since it appears to be just what im looking for, something to vibrate the house off the foundation

I live in Fond du Lac Wisconsin 54935 if any of you know where I could possibly go to hear this subwoofer please let me know!

thanks for welcoming me here, Im glad to be here, and for letting me know my subwoofer is not a POS!! At least gateway did one thing right when they compiled the HTiB system, the rest of its crap aside from the center channel and subwoofer.

the receiver is like a kids toy, I wouldnt hand it over to a bum:|

Thanks again!

My Home Theater Thread

The real honest reason I am using my Bose, is because one of the JBL woofers blew out.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Went on HSU's website again I found my subwoofer (this time with their actual name on it) and I even found the rest of the speakers that go with the gateway HT system (didnt know the rest were made by HSU):

http://hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html - Subwoofer

http://hsuresearch.com/products/vt-12.html - Surround satellites and Center channel

My Home Theater Thread

post #6 of 9 Old 06-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
The sub is a bit different than the STF-2 that HSU is currently selling. It was designed specifically for Gateway...

If you are having problems with the satellites, make sure you have them wired properly.

The Ventriloquist system is a bit different than standard Center/LF/RF setups.

You actually run the left & right channels through the center and then from the center to the front left & right speakers.

The center channel has an internal crossover and handles the midbass frequencies for the sats.

As mentioned previously HSU makes some excellent products and while the Gateway system isn't exactly the same specs as it's HSU forebears, it still shares the same bloodlines and is a quality system.

If you are looking for subs in the $500 range (which I believe is where the SUB-12 sits) you really might want to take a look at:

Elemental Designs - E3-300

SVS PB10-NSD

I think either of the above will make you very happy.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2007, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm, Thanks for the links! Those subs look Good... physically and technically, but I am willing to go a little more ^ in price Honestly I suspect when I am done replacing all my current speakers, to have spent roughly $2000 - $3000 (for all 8 speakers)

As for the VT-12 I only use the center channel, and subwoofer from the Gateway system, for my system, the gateway system is just the living room setup, nothng fancy, its better than the tv speakers

So I dont really use the ventriliquist effect anyway, Seeing as it doesnt sound good with my current setup, I use the center channel for 1 thing, a center channel, not for the 3db boost

Good suggestions on the sub, keep em coming!

My Home Theater Thread

post #8 of 9 Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 AM

do you have any other comparisons to this setup? I own a pair of ELT525m's and just bought a KAS 303 speaker set from ebay. I'm wondering if i made the right choice as $30 more would have gotten me a PA-120, and ~$50 more could have gotten me a HSU VTF-1. I'm wondering if my Yamaha rx-v363 is good enough for this speaker set? also if i should replace the ELT525M's in the living room with these, and put the ELT's on my computer....

Life's Short, Play Naked.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 AM

Just wanting to give my first impressions of the sub and center. I didn't hear much difference when I plugged everything in, but after some twiddling and tweaking this sub rocks. I hooked up the center and the sub with my ELT525Ms, and the sub is amazing. The sound from the center didn't really impress (just makes dialogue really clear), but the sub is just awesome. I tested some music/300 at first and was not immediately blown away. I accidentally changed my inputs to my cable box, and my jaw dropped. Matrix was on, and there are a lot of scenes in that movie where a sub makes a huge difference. It had no problem with my living room (15'x18') that opens up on one side to a similar sized kitchen.
Looking at pics it's pretty much a down firing HSU STF-2 /w a 150 watt BASH amp. I set it to 80hz 0 phase and half volume. Then set my Yamaha rx-v363 to 80hz. does that sound right? Some places say set it on 80hz on the receiver and turn it all the way up on the sub. If i do that there's a lot more stuff coming from the sub and it seems too loud. If i turn the sub up, there's a lot more rumble, but doesn't seem to blend in real well. Am I supposed to be hearing more stuff from the sub?
I'm really impressed, and can't wait to get my HD HTPC up and running.

Life's Short, Play Naked.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page