Subwoofer in cabinet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-15-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still trying to figure out whether I can make subs work inside this big cabinet we had built. My wife won't let me have the carpenter insert acoustic cloth into a big opening on the cabinet doors - too FUGLY.

Thought I would have to find another solution to allow air out (another fabric, a decorative grate/panel). Reading the threads here, it sounds like there are more than a couple of people who have subs inside of cabinets and they just run 'em with the cabinet doors closed.

Can this work with solid wood doors? We won't be cranking the volume up very often, if ever.

Wanted to get two PSB10's, but they won't fit. Am considering two UFW10's instead. Or I already own one Axiom EP175 and could pick up a matching one.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-16-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I am in the same boat. My wife has ruled that the sub must not be placed in open view. She compromised and said that it could go in the home theatre cabinet without anything in front of it. I tried a downfiring sub at first and that just did not work. I have the PB10 coming in about 2 hours. Front firing front ported should work well! I will post pictures once I get the beast in there.

What does your cabinet look like? Do you really need two subs in there? Could you get away with one really big one? Post some pics so we can see what you are trying to achieve.

Here is my setup with the old sub.
LL
post #3 of 15 Old 06-21-2007, 04:52 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

I am in the same boat. My wife has ruled that the sub must not be placed in open view. She compromised and said that it could go in the home theatre cabinet without anything in front of it. I tried a downfiring sub at first and that just did not work. I have the PB10 coming in about 2 hours. Front firing front ported should work well! I will post pictures once I get the beast in there.

So, how does the front-firing PB10 sound in the HT cabinet as compared to outside it?
post #4 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanfrac View Post

Thought I would have to find another solution to allow air out (another fabric, a decorative grate/panel). Reading the threads here, it sounds like there are more than a couple of people who have subs inside of cabinets and they just run 'em with the cabinet doors closed.

Can this work with solid wood doors? We won't be cranking the volume up very often, if ever.

With solid doors closed, it will be crap. The more you put between the speaker and the listener, the more you compromise. If you must have doors, open them when listening. This is the least pernicious option.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 09:49 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

How much, if any, clarity is lost (power is unimportant to me), if there is no door in front of the front-firing sub?
post #6 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

How much, if any, clarity is lost (power is unimportant to me), if there is no door in front of the front-firing sub?

It really depends a lot on the arrangement and placement. In general, one has to move the sub into an appropriate position in the room for best effect and placing it in a cabinet prevents that. In addition, any voids in the enclosure may be problems as well as any vibrations directly transmitted to/by the cabinet. Power is not the issue at all.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #7 of 15 Old 06-24-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
why do women care so much about wheather the sub is visible or whether the speakers go with the room or not?

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #8 of 15 Old 06-24-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

why do women care so much about wheather the sub is visible or whether the speakers go with the room or not?

Dunno except that many have a very traditional view of what constitutes good design. My black JL f113 is behind all the main speakers and amps and I had to point it out to my wife after it had been there almost 6 months. Yet, she is very particular about the design and finish of the main speakers.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #9 of 15 Old 06-24-2007, 01:09 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Dunno except that many have a very traditional view of what constitutes good design. My black JL f113 is behind all the main speakers and amps and I had to point it out to my wife after it had been there almost 6 months. Yet, she is very particular about the design and finish of the main speakers.

How exactly did you configure the components like that?
post #10 of 15 Old 06-24-2007, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How exactly did you configure the components like that?

??? The sub is against the front wall of the room below the windows/drapes. The L/C/R speakers are about 5feet from that wall with several large amps on the floor between the L/C/R speakers and the sub. I guess all the other stuff, bigger and flashier, camouflages the sub.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #11 of 15 Old 06-24-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, how does the front-firing PB10 sound in the HT cabinet as compared to outside it?

It was very close to the same response outside of the cabinet in the corner as opposed to inside the cabinet. I think it was about 1-2 Db louder at about 60 Hz outside the cabinet. That is a compromise I can live with!
post #12 of 15 Old 06-24-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

post #13 of 15 Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 AM

I'm in the same situation with my sub in new home theater. Wife would like the sub in the cabinet (actually on a side wall cabinet - I know not the best location but...). How is the sub working out in the cabinet now that you have been running it for a couple of months?

Only losing 1-2 Db seems like a small compromise. I have the room wired where I can move the sub to the front but the wife would be alot happier if it would work in the cabinet. I would be very interested in your response - trying to make a over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Thanks
post #14 of 15 Old 08-12-2007, 08:03 PM

Thank God! I thought I was the only one in this situation. I also will have to put the sub in a cabinet so size is a factor for me. I'm hoping to go listen to some Sunfire subs tomorrow, they are only 12-13" on a side and would easily fit. What other subs are less than 18" on a side and front firing?

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!"
post #15 of 15 Old 08-12-2007, 10:48 PM

I'm just now searching for the front firing/front port subs. I think SVS PB10 might fit your cabinet (15" width, 18" tall & 21" deep). My understanding is the the SVS subs are very highly regarded. I was going to check other subs from SVS before I replied but the site is down right now. I think they may have one or two other subs.

Another option may be the upcoming AV123 MFW-15. Proposed dimensions are 24" high, 18" wide and 12" deep?

I would appreciate any recommendations for these types of subs.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page