Blown Velodyne Subwoofer, repair or replace - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have determined that my Velodyne SPL-1000 has a blown woofer. I called Sound Advice (Tweeter) service and wouldn't you know the warranty expired a month ago. Unfortunately I can't go down to the store and work with them on this, since my local store (Tallahassee, FL) shut down shortly after I bought this speaker.
At this point I see myself with three options. Pay a hugh shipping cost to ship off to Sound Advice (S. Florida), or directly to Velodyne (California) and pay to have it fixed. Drive 3 hours to the nearest store and drop it off and then hope they will ship it back to me when it's fixed, or start shopping for a new sub and part this one out on ebay.

The reality is, I love this sub... it is by far the best sounding sub I have had, it even beats my old Velo F1200R it replaced. I am leaning towards repair, but am wondering since this sub is two plus years old, if I might be better of with something newer. Has any of this technology made it in to a lessor priced model, or brands? Unfortunately, my budget for the replacement is almost nothing, thus the couple hundred I am guessing it will cost in shipping and repair, may be more worthy.

Any sugestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-02-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Go over to the Velodyne thread, and you can post your issue there or grab curts info and give him a call... he is very helpful... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=304306

Warp
post #3 of 8 Old 07-02-2007, 03:40 PM

Liked: 11
A while back, I had to replace a woofer in an older CT-120 (a little lower on the Velo food chain, I know). Velodyne custy service was top notch and the prices were very reasonable. They even upgraded the woofer to update me to a CHT-120 for no additional cost over the CT. Always contact the manufacturer first as you may be pleasantly surprised.

We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Short Pause......Hold your breath for the dynamic duo!
post #4 of 8 Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Model: HGS12BGII
Serial: 62071034
Date: Mar 12, 2002

Hello Velodyne

Really enjoyed this subwoofer. Just recently, I started to get static anytime the sub was powered on. I had my AV guy out and he said the sub amplifier was blown and that I should be able to order a replacement and swap it out myself (or he would do it).

Can I get this great subwoofer repaired for significantly less than trying to find a replacement?

Thanks for providing great products and support!

Regards,
BrianPC
brian.plackis@usa.net
post #5 of 8 Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.pc View Post

Model: HGS12BGII
Serial: 62071034
Date: Mar 12, 2002

Hello Velodyne

Really enjoyed this subwoofer. Just recently, I started to get static anytime the sub was powered on. I had my AV guy out and he said the sub amplifier was blown and that I should be able to order a replacement and swap it out myself (or he would do it).

Can I get this great subwoofer repaired for significantly less than trying to find a replacement?

Thanks for providing great products and support!

Regards,
BrianPC
brian.plackis@usa.net

Answered on the Official Velodyne Support Thread

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I would say since you like it that much and as its only going to cost $235 or so to fix I would go that route.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 PM

Liked: 15
I own both a SPL1000R and an Epik Empire. If repairs are around $200 or so I'd do that. If the overall cost approaches $4-500 I'd get an EPIK legend.

While I think the Velo sounds decent, the Empire sounds better. I suspect the Legend would as well.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM

use lakeside electronics university andsunrise area ,they re coned my infinity speakers
$70 each work like new
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page