The OFFICIAL Jamo Subwoofer Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 102 Old 07-09-2007, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys! I have noticed no Jamo Subwoofer thread here, so I will start one off!

I am the proud owner of my Jamo E 7Sub Subwoofer! Just bought it a few days ago! I havent heard it yet (will soon! ) but I'm optomistic!

So what Jamo sub do you have?

My Home Theater Thread

The real honest reason I am using my Bose, is because one of the JBL woofers blew out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I don't own one, but just wanted to say congrats on the purchase.

Be sure to let us know what you think.
post #3 of 102 Old 07-09-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Will do, I know Jamo isnt very popular here as its not heavily marketed in the USA like it is overseas. Im quite optomistic on this decision as the Jamo bookshelfs I recently bought are freakishly awesome!

My Home Theater Thread

The real honest reason I am using my Bose, is because one of the JBL woofers blew out.
post #4 of 102 Old 07-10-2007, 04:34 AM

Nice buy, do you have the other E7 sats?

I've recently picked up the E770 floorstanding speakers & E7 cen, they're matched with an older pair of E510s for the left & right surrounds and Marantz receiver. Gotta say I love the sound. The decoupled tweeter tech seems to make a distinct difference, highs that are incredibly crisp and sharp while the bass extensions on the E770s are surprisingly good. They reach down to 35hz which I'm told is good for floorstanding speakers.

Yep, currently my setup is only a 5.0 config, between now & Xmas I'm planning on buying the other E7 sats & E7 Sub. Would love to know what you think of the sub, 675 watts & floor of 25hz if I remember correctly.

Have had the speakers for approx 7weeks now anyway last week was hectic at work & I hadn't had a chance to do any listening all week so I came home 1 night & put on The Eagles HFO - I literally said wow out loud - the sound is that clear. All the more satisfying considering I'd had them around 7weeks & you'd think I would've grown accustomed to the sound by now.

Let me know what you think
post #5 of 102 Old 07-10-2007, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 344
I'm certain Jamo makes very good subs, Tom Nousaine reviewed one of their top models not that long ago and it produced good results. However they are a bit pricy and their specs really don't tell you much. They often publish their amp ratings using peak power output rather then continuous (RMS) and they fail to include decibels when listing the frequency response.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 102 Old 07-12-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy112 View Post

Will do, I know Jamo isnt very popular here as its not heavily marketed in the USA like it is overseas. Im quite optomistic on this decision as the Jamo bookshelfs I recently bought are freakishly awesome!

Hows the setup going? Post your impressions when your able. If you're looking for test material the first thread here is a good place to start - Master list of DVDs With Bass....

Don't feel like anyone is pressuring you or anything
post #7 of 102 Old 07-12-2007, 09:06 AM

I also have a Jamo set up with 770s for the fronts with a 7cen and 2 sets of E700 for the surrounds. I am also using a sub650 for the woofer. So far I am happy with everything.

Andrew
post #8 of 102 Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Okay guys,

Sorry it took so long to respond! I just got the sub this afternoon, and let me tell you HOLY BALLS! I mean HOLY BALLS!

My HSU cant stand up to it, So far I've been having trouble getting it to bottom out or blow fuses like my HSU!

It looks really beautiful, but sonically my house is crying out. I think it moved off the foundation a bit:|.

In response to a couple of your guys' questions, I don't have the rest of the E7 Series speakers sadly. However this subwoofer is just as good a match for the E8 series I find. The E825's I have sound perfect with it!

I guess the most amazing part is the fact that it has SO MUCH BASS for a sealed enclosure, And also the RMS of the amp for those curious is 350W Continuous. For the price, which seems steep to some, its worth every cent. I didnt go wrong here let me tell you. When I first turned it on and played some music, the Wow effect hit me immediately. Its comact size you wouldnt expect much, but it puts out quite a lot for its subtle looks.

Words cannot describe what I am hearing as I type this. The lows, gosh its so good to have them back!

My next endeavor is to get a pair of the E875 Floor standing speakers, since I love the sound of them. Its a shame the local A/V place here wont let me take a pair home to test!

But to the point: If your going to get a "650W Max" subwoofer for $450, you may just want to wait until you get one of these. The Klipsch Synergy 12 cannot compare at ALL.

So there's my input on this subwoofer, quality in every way. I wonder what craigsub would rate it at?

My walls are crumbling!:O

My Home Theater Thread

post #9 of 102 Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Also, forgot to add, I havent tried it with any movies yet, I will be testing it out with some DVD material, as well as some HDTV Content tonight. I will let you all know how it sounds for the explosions and earthquakes!

My Home Theater Thread

post #10 of 102 Old 07-13-2007, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I tried some HD Material out on the sub last night, watched CSI. And Im officially blown away. For a 10" This sub sounds like a 12"! Now for some DVD Material. I checked out the Master list of DVD's with BASS. I saw Aeon Flux and Titanic were on it, so I will be trying those movies out as well tonight. I know titanic has loads of bass, so it will be interesting. I will have to try out some THX Surround modes tonight. I didn't get to test them with the sub last night because the TV Viewer's in my house were gettin crabby for me playing with the stereo while the show was on!

One said "theres too much bass" Pfft! Can NEVER have too much bass!

After I test it out on some DVD's Im going to try a Dual Sub setup with my old one and my new one. I dont know if it's safe but I like to take risks !

My Home Theater Thread

post #11 of 102 Old 07-13-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaserfi View Post

I also have a Jamo set up with 770s for the fronts with a 7cen and 2 sets of E700 for the surrounds. I am also using a sub650 for the woofer. So far I am happy with everything.

Good to hear, I was tossing up between the 650 & E7 sub. I think the 650 is larger 12" & has a floor of 24hz, over here in oz though it costs another $500 more than the E7 sub. I was impressed by the bass extensions on the E770s, if you couple that with a 12inch 650 I imagine you would get some really nice effects?

Quote:

Well, I tried some HD Material out on the sub last night, watched CSI. And Im officially blown away. For a 10" This sub sounds like a 12"!

I guess the most amazing part is the fact that it has SO MUCH BASS for a sealed enclosure, And also the RMS of the amp for those curious is 350W Continuous. For the price, which seems steep to some, its worth every cent. I didnt go wrong here let me tell you. When I first turned it on and played some music, the Wow effect hit me immediately. Its comact size you wouldnt expect much, but it puts out quite a lot for its subtle looks.

Good o, I'll be off to audition 1 in the next month or so.

Quote:

One said "theres too much bass" Pfft! Can NEVER have too much bass!

Wholeheartedly second that.

How bout some suggestions for music dvds with some good bass effects? I'll buy now so they're ready to go for when the sub arrives. I try & stick to titles with either a pcm or dts soundtrack. My limited collection is mostly easy listening stuff from the Corrs to Phil Collins to Eagles.....
post #12 of 102 Old 07-13-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flec04 View Post

Good to hear, I was tossing up between the 650 & E7 sub. I think the 650 is larger 12" & has a floor of 24hz, over here in oz though it costs another $500 more than the E7 sub. I was impressed by the bass extensions on the E770s, if you couple that with a 12inch 650 I imagine you would get some really nice effects?

Thats the exact set up I have and I love it. The 650 matches the 770s wonderfully.

Andrew
post #13 of 102 Old 07-13-2007, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Also, if it helps anyone out, the room I tested the sub in is 14'x16'x8' and the subwoofer was located in the middle of the room. I will have to try it out in different locations to see where the best spot would be to put it in.

My Home Theater Thread

post #14 of 102 Old 07-14-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:

Thats the exact set up I have and I love it. The 650 matches the 770s wonderfully.

Thanks but you guys are sure making it difficult to choose, guess it comes down to how far the budget will stretch.
post #15 of 102 Old 07-14-2007, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking of getting the Jamo Sub650 for the lower bass yet, seeing as its vented, and has a larger woofer, a dual (or even triple) sub setup really is the way to go for me, seeing as my "theater" room has many openings in it and its not entirely closed off, I figured it would improve the quality, which it does. Unfortunately my HSU STF-2 doesnt have enough power to even be noticed, thanks to my new sub So I am thinking of the sub650!

Any comments on this idea?

My Home Theater Thread

post #16 of 102 Old 07-14-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:

I was thinking of getting the Jamo Sub650 for the lower bass yet, seeing as its vented, and has a larger woofer, a dual (or even triple) sub setup really is the way to go for me, seeing as my "theater" room has many openings in it and its not entirely closed off, I figured it would improve the quality, which it does. Unfortunately my HSU STF-2 doesnt have enough power to even be noticed, thanks to my new sub So I am thinking of the sub650!

Any comments on this idea?

I think the 650 is similar to the E7 sub in that its a closed cabinet design. As far as setup questions go I can't really offer much advice, guess you can never have too much bass though
post #17 of 102 Old 07-14-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Isnt that the truth

My Home Theater Thread

post #18 of 102 Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 AM

The 650 is not a ported sub, it is sealed. One thing to try to give yourself better bass response is place both subs on opposite corners with opposing phases. That can help your frequency response even out. Another thing you could do is actually figure out your response and see what it lacking. You don't always need to add more woofers. In fact you would probably get much more gain out of proper placement, room treatments and then an eq rather than adding another sub.

Andrew
post #19 of 102 Old 07-16-2007, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The 650 is not a ported sub, it is sealed. One thing to try to give yourself better bass response is place both subs on opposite corners with opposing phases. That can help your frequency response even out. Another thing you could do is actually figure out your response and see what it lacking. You don't always need to add more woofers. In fact you would probably get much more gain out of proper placement, room treatments and then an eq rather than adding another sub.

Thank you avaserfi!

I tried what you said before you posted it actually, and it INDEED makes a huge difference, the HSU I have i switched the phase and the bass increased dramatically, the HSU is in the opposite corner of the Jamo, and it sounds terrific. right now Im playing the Jamo by itself and it still sounds terrific, I only use the HSU now for when watching movies for that extra oomph!

I had a slight rattle in the Jamo, which is how it was when I received it but I didnt want to open it up to fix that issue... Well I did. I carefully removed each of the 14 screws on the back and placed them in order after removing them to keep it as original as possible.

Let me tell you this sub as far as construction goes BLOWS AWAY the HSU. the MDF board is a solid 1" Thick all the way around, the subwoofer itself has a MASSIVE magnet compared to the HSU magnet. the amp is BEEFY compared to the HSU, and weighs a good 10 pounds more than my 2 pound HSU amp (yes i weighed them). I didnt disconnect any cables inside the sub though no need to!

I fixed my rattle, and i even found a peice of loose solder inside it! I will keep it as a momento. My Jamo is now rattle free and sounds even better than new! :P

So sonically, and construction wise, this subwoofer blows away the HSU, all the more reason I am glad I got it, and recommend it to anyone out there looking at Jamo equipment.

YOU CANT GO WRONG!

My Home Theater Thread

post #20 of 102 Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the extra post, but I thought you guys might like to see what the inside of the E7 Sub looks like!
LL
LL
LL

My Home Theater Thread

post #21 of 102 Old 07-18-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:

Let me tell you this sub as far as construction goes BLOWS AWAY the HSU. the MDF board is a solid 1" Thick all the way around, the subwoofer itself has a MASSIVE magnet compared to the HSU magnet. the amp is BEEFY compared to the HSU, and weighs a good 10 pounds more than my 2 pound HSU amp (yes i weighed them). I didnt disconnect any cables inside the sub though no need to!

I fixed my rattle, and i even found a peice of loose solder inside it! I will keep it as a momento. My Jamo is now rattle free and sounds even better than new! :P

So sonically, and construction wise, this subwoofer blows away the HSU, all the more reason I am glad I got it, and recommend it to anyone out there looking at Jamo equipment.

YOU CANT GO WRONG!

Nice to know & thanks for the pics.
post #22 of 102 Old 07-18-2007, 06:55 AM

Can I ask which HSU you replaced with the Jamo, so we have an idea of what you're comparing it against? I'm considering the 650 as well as an alternative to a SVS/HSU unit.
post #23 of 102 Old 07-18-2007, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I am comparing the Jamo to the HSU STF-2 I used to use for my main subwoofer, I know its an easy win for the Jamo, but it is all I have to compare against! Also, if your looking for a good deal on a brand new Jamo Sub650 check ebay for them, i saw an auction for 4 brand new black ash ones for $480 I beleive (each) Buy it now. If the sub650 is relatively close to my E7 Sub its worth every penny!

My Home Theater Thread

post #24 of 102 Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Just had to post it, I LOVE my Jamo sub its incredible! Also the Sub650 if I remember correctly has a 12" driver. Would a larger driver produce the more "rumble" type of bass? The shaking part of it I mean, to me it seems it would? If my E7 sounds like this, then a 12" would just get me thrown out of the street! :O

My Home Theater Thread

post #25 of 102 Old 07-21-2007, 03:17 AM

Quote:

Just had to post it, I LOVE my Jamo sub its incredible! Also the Sub650 if I remember correctly has a 12" driver. Would a larger driver produce the more "rumble" type of bass? The shaking part of it I mean, to me it seems it would? If my E7 sounds like this, then a 12" would just get me thrown out of the street! :O

I'm new to HT & had the same thought which is why I'm considering the 650 (12") over the E7 (10"). At a basic level you'd expect the 650 to move more air but having said that the E7 sub also sounds like you made an excellant purchase.
post #26 of 102 Old 07-21-2007, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Flec,

It depends on the type of bass you want, and the area your subwoofer will be going in, if your room is rather large the sub650 is what you would want to use. My rooms in my house arent that big, so the E7 suites me fine. Everywhere I go in the house while the sub is playing all I can hear and feel is vibrations and bass, so Id say im set!

(until upgraditis hits me again )

My Home Theater Thread

post #27 of 102 Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Flec,

It depends on the type of bass you want, and the area your subwoofer will be going in, if your room is rather large the sub650 is what you would want to use. My rooms in my house arent that big, so the E7 suites me fine. Everywhere I go in the house while the sub is playing all I can hear and feel is vibrations and bass, so Id say im set!

(until upgraditis hits me again )

sounds like the E7 sub is well suited to the size of your house/lounge. My place is also of averge size, the lounge room is closed off & I have wooden floorboards which do a great job of transmitting the vibrations of the lower frequencies. Maybe the E7 will be more than adequate.
post #28 of 102 Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:

So what Jamo sub do you have?

I have very old SW500 passive sub powered by very old Rotel RB-980BX.
Does anyone else have SW500?
post #29 of 102 Old 07-26-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueuserid View Post

I have very old SW500 passive sub powered by very old Rotel RB-980BX.
Does anyone else have SW500?

nope, how has it performed over the years?
post #30 of 102 Old 07-27-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

I know im posting this in the wrong area, but seeing as there are more people that have a jamo subwoofer (or are planning on getting one). But to compliment my ever changing HT System, I got the E 8CEN.2 Center channel today off ebay, was supposed to be a used one with less than 100 hours, but they sent me a brand new one! I am currently testing it out with the Pioneer VSX-80TXV and the other Jamo speakers I have, I'm also testing it by itself, so far its blowing away my old HSU Ventriliquist center (though that still is a awesome center!) More updates soon!

My Home Theater Thread

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page