ButtKicker LFE Kit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-23-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Apparently, there is not a single spot I can put my subwoofer where I will be satisfied. Either it's too boomy, too localizable, too quiet, or flat out rattles the wrong parts of my room.

I've been looking around for subwoofers that I could place very close to my listening position, since that seems to be the easiest and best solution for placement in many circumstances. I checked out the SUBstage200, but that seems more geared towards minimalists rather than audiophiles, and the closest thing I can find are the ButtKickers.

I haven't seen one negative review of the ButtKicker products, but I am concerned as to whether or not they could replace having a dedicated sub. For those who use ButtKickers, are they paired with a seperate sub, or might it be sensible to use them by themselves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Apparently, there is not a single spot I can put my subwoofer where I will be satisfied. Either it's too boomy, too localizable, too quiet, or flat out rattles the wrong parts of my room.

I've been looking around for subwoofers that I could place very close to my listening position, since that seems to be the easiest and best solution for placement in many circumstances. I checked out the SUBstage200, but that seems more geared towards minimalists rather than audiophiles, and the closest thing I can find are the ButtKickers.

I haven't seen one negative review of the ButtKicker products, but I am concerned as to whether or not they could replace having a dedicated sub. For those who use ButtKickers, are they paired with a seperate sub, or might it be sensible to use them by themselves?

The Buttkikers are great but you still need a sub. That being said if you can not have a sub for what ever reason then try the kickers with out the sub but most likely you may not like it. If your mains can handle bass fairly well you may be able to avoid using the sub while still having the Buttkickers going.

You may also consider an equalizer to help with your boomy bass. Setting the cross over on the sub too high may make the sub localizable. You can also try something like a sub dude under you sub to try to decouple it from the rest of the house - I am not sure how much this will help as I have never tried one.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Look into room treatments -- just started learning about them recently.

I actually have a bunch coming from RealTraps(.com) today and will let you know how they work. I live a few towns away and was able to stop in and see a setup of them and learn more... i have problems with my bass and am hoping this helps as well.

From what i understand they can make a huge difference in bass -- i have a giant dropout in multiple spots from my testing and these are suppose to help smooth out the curve.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSurge View Post

Look into room treatments -- just started learning about them recently.

I actually have a bunch coming from RealTraps(.com) today and will let you know how they work. I live a few towns away and was able to stop in and see a setup of them and learn more... i have problems with my bass and am hoping this helps as well.

From what i understand they can make a huge difference in bass -- i have a giant dropout in multiple spots from my testing and these are suppose to help smooth out the curve.

Very good advice. What kind of a sub do you currently own?
You can try that in nearfield placement and also go with buttkickers as IMHO that
would be ideal. You do need (and have) a sub, so by all means use it...vardo
post #5 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 04:42 PM

If you're having issues like that, I want to ask if you've dialed in your sub so it is properly in phase with the rest of your speakers. Especially if you're moving it around to all these places I would wonder whether you rephased it at each different listening spot.

Otherwise all the above ideas sound great but each costs $$ :-P
post #6 of 6 Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Buttkickers are great, but they only produce physical sensation, not auditory. If you want to hear the lower frequencies (to 20's), then you'd need a sub. If you want to hear and feel them but have difficulty doing both (which seems to be your current problem), then adding the Buttkickers to your existing sub would do the trick... and it would also help not pissing off the neighbors and or the wife . Having said all that, adjusting the phase and crossover frequencies of your sub are critical. Adding room treatments would even the response throughout the room. If you treat reflections, it will also help listening to music as well as understanding dialogue in movies... it makes the subtleties easier to distinguish. All are IMHO important to having the best experience in an HT/music room. Of course they all cost money, too. But at least with room treatments DIY options are available. If interested, check out this website.

Krister
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page