Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #3241 of 20401 Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for the info guys. refurbished has crossed my mind. A Onyko 705 for $499 looks pretty good.
I have the JBL Venue Stadiums as fronts and surrounds. I like em- for now. I demoed two 500 watt 5.1 recievers earlier this yr and at audiable levels for my 5000 cubic feet room, they started clipping.
I considered the HK first. But their wattage ratings are so low. I'll demo em to see if they will clip like the rest at audiable levels.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 20401 Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

I considered the HK first. But their wattage ratings are so low. I'll demo em to see if they will clip like the rest at audiable levels.

Don't be decieved by other manufacturer's bloated wattage ratings. The wattage of the HK's are real world measurements with all channels being driven and are very conservatively rated. It's a good idea to demo a few different brands and you'll quickly see what I mean.

Good luck man!

~kyle
post #3243 of 20401 Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
+1

And at any rate, you can add an external power amp later if you find you still need more power.

Why using other people's TV settings is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3244 of 20401 Old 06-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Question for Valor owners. Did any of you come from a ported SVS, HSU or comparable sub? If so, how does the Valor compare on music and movies? If you love low bass, but could live without the lowest of the low and loudest of the loud that a large ported sub might be able to attain, does the Valor measure up? Due to WAF and size constraints, the Valor is the only Epik product I can consider, and am considering it along with the MFW-15, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Plus, and perhaps HSU VTF 3.3.

Craigsub's rankings show that the Valor is clearly a very solid sub, but any other thoughts or comments would be appreciated. TIA.

post #3245 of 20401 Old 06-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

thanks for the info guys. refurbished has crossed my mind. A Onyko 705 for $499 looks pretty good.
I have the JBL Venue Stadiums as fronts and surrounds. I like em- for now. I demoed two 500 watt 5.1 recievers earlier this yr and at audiable levels for my 5000 cubic feet room, they started clipping.

1st off I would go listen to a few AVR's and just take your own material with you and go by that. We have Denon's 3808 and we LOVE IT! You might get within $200 or so now. You might want to call (by phone) 6th ave and see what price you can get for it for.
BTW We are running two pairs of Monitor Audio GS10's with the matching center and a Caliber with no problem
post #3246 of 20401 Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 AM

i am now an official epik sub owner. i got my Valor this morning! i was wondering if anybody can recommend some settings to start out with, like the phase and what not, for i am at work and i am having friends come over when i get home. I would like to show it off just a LITTLE!! any suggestions would be great. i will tweak it once i have had a little one on one time.
thanks
post #3247 of 20401 Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post

Question for Valor owners. Did any of you come from a ported SVS, HSU or comparable sub? If so, how does the Valor compare on music and movies? If you love low bass, but could live without the lowest of the low and loudest of the loud that a large ported sub might be able to attain, does the Valor measure up? Due to WAF and size constraints, the Valor is the only Epik product I can consider, and am considering it along with the MFW-15, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Plus, and perhaps HSU VTF 3.3.

Craigsub's rankings show that the Valor is clearly a very solid sub, but any other thoughts or comments would be appreciated. TIA.

The Valor measures up quite nicely. I have one as well as a HSU VTF 3.3. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I prefer the Valor. Considering the price differential I was expecting more from the VTF 3.3 but I couldn't get it where I preferred the sound over the Valor. However, I never had it placed nearfield behind the seating position as suggested by HSU. I've tried this position with other subwoofers and didn't find it as favorable.

With the recent price increase of the MFW-15, I think it makes the Epik Subs even stronger.
post #3248 of 20401 Old 06-26-2008, 10:00 AM

I am so glad I went with epik, Mfw-15's have to many problems especially having to wait 3 months and they just raised there prices, kyle at av123 did cut me a great deal on 4 subs plus shipping but chads customer service and quality of work outweighed the awesome deal av123 offered.
post #3249 of 20401 Old 06-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datgai View Post

The Valor measures up quite nicely. I have one as well as a HSU VTF 3.3. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I prefer the Valor. Considering the price differential I was expecting more from the VTF 3.3 but I couldn't get it where I preferred the sound over the Valor. However, I never had it placed nearfield behind the seating position as suggested by HSU. I've tried this position with other subwoofers and didn't find it as favorable.

With the recent price increase of the MFW-15, I think it makes the Epik Subs even stronger.

Thanks. Funnily enough, I checked back in this thread before, but missed your post for some reason. And I actually placed an order earlier today for the Outlaw LFM-1 EX. In the end, I decided to go for the ported sub.

But it really was that much of a toss-up with the Valor, that your post might have swayed me to the Valor. But, I guess it wasn't meant to be. At the end of the day, I suspect they'd have very similar performance, even if I might slightly prefer one over the other. Thanks again for chiming in though.

post #3250 of 20401 Old 06-26-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my TOWER today. When I saw the box come out of the FedEx truck, I laughed and said "Man...what have I gotten myself into." It is really an understatement to say this thing is huge. HUGE!!! I had no problems moving it even tho it's almost exactly half my weight. The box had a golf ball size puncture at middle sides near the amp. But feeling thru the box, the plastic was not punctured and the surface was smooth. Luckly the puncture angle was acute. No damage what so ever. Didn't get a chance to play with it yet, but definetly gonna beat it out this weekend .
Packaging was excellent, though I would like the shipping box to be a little thicker. The workmanship- from the grill to the sub itself. I inspected every exposed inch of it. It's really beautiful. Will post pics this week. And REW results the next. But so far, I'm very happy.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #3251 of 20401 Old 06-27-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

wouldnt it be nice if the big subs had handles. sure would be a lot easier
they are not that heavy, just cant get you arms around
and if you have a friend help, they never seem to want to leave
hahahahahah
post #3252 of 20401 Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 PM

Glad you got your Tower, TnT.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it just as much as I am.
post #3253 of 20401 Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyz View Post

That is an awfully big space to try and get decent bass with the Caliber.
It is probably even difficult space for the Castle.

You should really be looking at the Conquest for that sized space.
I have it in a 2,100 cu ft HT and it is just right.
If my HT was 5,000 cu ft I would probably use two Conquests.

You really need to work on the W part of the WAF.

My wife thought I was crazy when my Conquest showed up.
However, she now loves watching movies with it.
She complains about how the local theater has a weak bass (Warren Theaters, one of the best in the country)

I have a Conquest in a 16,000 cu. ft. loft, and from 25 ft. away, I can feel the hairs on my shins moving and the floor vibrating like there's an actual earthquake in my place when I play excerpts from War Of The Worlds and Flight Of The Phoenix, if I had 2 Conquests, that would totally overwhelm the room.
post #3254 of 20401 Old 06-28-2008, 07:22 AM

Does anybody have any Epic subs in the Chicago area that I could audition.
I am having a hard time sending emails to the the epic website.
My room is 14 X 26 X 7.5
I am not sure which models to get.
I would like two to smooth out bass response.
Thanks,
Gabor
post #3255 of 20401 Old 06-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabor1 View Post

Does anybody have any Epic subs in the Chicago area that I could audition.
I am having a hard time sending emails to the the epic website.
My room is 14 X 26 X 7.5
I am not sure which models to get.
I would like two to smooth out bass response.
Thanks,
Gabor

Call Epik, they are not good with email but Chad will happily give you recommendations over the phone. Their factory is in the Chicago area (Crystal Lake), so you could probably drop in there for a demo if you ask nicely.
post #3256 of 20401 Old 06-28-2008, 05:52 PM

Liked: 12
can i place my sub on the couch to do my crawl location test, or does it have to be on the ground? i just dread having to move all my furniture to do this test, so call me lazy or tell me it can be done on the primary listening spot
post #3257 of 20401 Old 06-28-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Couch, right in the main listening position.

If you have sweep tones (on Avia or any setup disc, or sweeps burned to a disc) plus an spl meter, that's even better since you can measure each spot for smoothest response (ideal).

Why using other people's TV settings is a

post #3258 of 20401 Old 06-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin741 View Post

Hey I just wanted to thank everyone hear for their posts. They really helped me choose the valor. As far as Chad goes If anyone has questions just give him a call he was very helpfull.

With all the pos reviews on the knight I called chad on friday to up my order to a knight thanks again for all your posts. Has anyone here had a wife acceptance issiue and if so any suggestions on how to deal with that? The knight is replacing my 7.5 inch super cube 3
post #3259 of 20401 Old 06-29-2008, 09:41 AM

I'm still trying to find someone in the SF Bay Area who's willing to let me audition a Valor. (Maybe there aren't any?) I'm in Santa Rosa & willing to drive.

Thanks, Alan
post #3260 of 20401 Old 06-29-2008, 11:47 AM

I live couple hours away from Epik, in Madison, Wi, so I took a drive down to Epik to pick up my Caliber on Friday. They had it ready for me on Tuesday, precisely a month after I had placed the order. The packaging was excellent and the build quality and finish are top notch, and of course the thing is enormous. I did a quick set-up with REW and tried a couple locations, and settled on placement at the front right corner of the room beside the right speaker, on top of an Auralex Great GRAMMA isolation platform.

I can't post a link or image in this post since it is only my second, but the Caliber achieves solid response down to 15Hz in my 2,200 cu ft room. In fact, it is nearly flat from 50Hz to 15Hz before any EQ correction.

I've since done some correction with the BFD and adjusted the crossover and will be tweaking a bit more soon, but I'm very happy with the performance of the Epik Caliber. The Caliber is overkill for my needs in my room, so anyone considering a Knight or Valor should feel at ease that they will get an extremely good results with one in a room of similar size. If you're looking for subsonic response, the Caliber will not disappoint.
post #3261 of 20401 Old 06-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Here's the response graph from REW before correction. For this measurement I had the crossover set to 60Hz, and 180 phase gave the best response in my room. As you can see, the Caliber is extremely capable in the subsonic range and gives me a near flat response from 50Hz down to 15Hz.

post #3262 of 20401 Old 06-29-2008, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Frosty,

Nice looking response curve.

If you were planning on using an external subwoofer equalizer, you may find that you get a better sound without it. a/b to check the difference.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #3263 of 20401 Old 06-29-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMMB View Post

Here's the response graph from REW before correction. For this measurement I had the crossover set to 60Hz, and 180 phase gave the best response in my room. As you can see, the Caliber is extremely capable in the subsonic range and gives me a near flat response from 50Hz down to 15Hz.

Dependent on your speakers, cut it at 50 or 60 and call it a day .

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #3264 of 20401 Old 06-29-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I live couple hours away from Epik, in Madison, Wi, so I took a drive down to Epik to pick up my Caliber on Friday. They had it ready for me on Tuesday, precisely a month after I had placed the order. The packaging was excellent and the build quality and finish are top notch, and of course the thing is enormous. I did a quick set-up with REW and tried a couple locations, and settled on placement at the front right corner of the room beside the right speaker, on top of an Auralex Great GRAMMA isolation platform.

I can't post a link or image in this post since it is only my second, but the Caliber achieves solid response down to 15Hz in my 2,200 cu ft room. In fact, it is nearly flat from 50Hz to 15Hz before any EQ correction.

I've since done some correction with the BFD and adjusted the crossover and will be tweaking a bit more soon, but I'm very happy with the performance of the Epik Caliber. The Caliber is overkill for my needs in my room, so anyone considering a Knight or Valor should feel at ease that they will get an extremely good results with one in a room of similar size. If you're looking for subsonic response, the Caliber will not disappoint.

How does that great gramma iso platform work out for you. I was going to install spikes but that looks like a realley great idea.
post #3265 of 20401 Old 06-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok sorry about this and call me stupid. Frosty I also have a Caliber and have wanted to do this REW thing but I have no idea how to go about it . I downloaded the REW(roomEQ Wizard) to my imac desktop and I do have a SPL meter. It talks about calibration of the meter,Do you plug in the meter to the computer? if so with what? Then what? do you need a mic? what kind? Anyways you can tell how lost I am with this Frosty or anyone can you help me with a little guidance please
post #3266 of 20401 Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 PM

Rob, take a look at the Room EQ Wizard (REW) Information Index at the Home Theater Shack forum.

You can use REW with your iMac and an SPL meter. Refer to REW Cabling and Connection Basics for how to do this. I use the Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic with the Behringer Xenyx 802 mic preamp/mixer which provides phantom power for the mic. I have the mic set up on a stand at ear level in my listening seat and run the mic through the mixer and into the audio input on my iMac, and run the audio output to my receiver. Just make sure that you read the REW manual, and the information index at Home Theater Shack can answer pretty much any further questions about taking measurements.
post #3267 of 20401 Old 06-29-2008, 11:14 PM

Jim and Ron,

I was also considering that my response is good enough to forego the EQ. My speakers are full range and can handle down to 40Hz if needed and my only significant problem in the response is the valley above the cut off for the subwoofer. I'll play around with it soon and probably find the EQ unnecessary in actual listening.
post #3268 of 20401 Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandworms View Post

can i place my sub on the couch to do my crawl location test, or does it have to be on the ground? i just dread having to move all my furniture to do this test, so call me lazy or tell me it can be done on the primary listening spot

i dont know about you, but would be a hell of alot easier to move my couch instead of trying to pick up the tower and set it on the couch. now that sounds like work. and maybe a nap afterwards.
post #3269 of 20401 Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Rob, take a look at the Room EQ Wizard (REW) Information Index at the Home Theater Shack forum.

You can use REW with your iMac and an SPL meter. Refer to REW Cabling and Connection Basics for how to do this. I use the Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic with the Behringer Xenyx 802 mic preamp/mixer which provides phantom power for the mic. I have the mic set up on a stand at ear level in my listening seat and run the mic through the mixer and into the audio input on my iMac, and run the audio output to my receiver. Just make sure that you read the REW manual, and the information index at Home Theater Shack can answer pretty much any further questions about taking measurements.

Frosty thanks for the info. Frosty I was reading the Rives CD info and was wondering if this is better,easier? What the difference? Would it do a good job? Is one better than the other? which one would do a better job and why?
Sorry for all the questions?
post #3270 of 20401 Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 AM

REW is extremely easy to use. Just read the manual to calibrate your soundcard and mic, and from there on out the software will handle the sweep and measurement at the press of a button, and you can adjust the parameters of the sweeps and tones if needed. I see no benefit in attempting to use a CD rather than allowing REW to do all the work for you. Give REW a try and forget about the CD.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page