Forum Jump: 

post #3421 of 20368 Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sweetwater is also great on high mark ups, unwanted phone calls, and emails.

Try calling www.fullcompass.com their compassexress area will tell you their lowest price on it and not even bat an eye when you say thanks that is all I needed. If you like their price buy it, if you don't, don't buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 20368 Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post

sweetwater is also great on high mark ups, unwanted phone calls, and emails.

I guess YMMV, but I recieved a phone call to confirm my order, and one to make sure I recieved it after it was delivered. I've recieved exactly 6 emails from them since I placed my order in April. It's not like I've been bombarded by emails and ph*******s. I thought $49.97 including shipping was a fair price for my SubDude. Is there somewhere that is significantly cheaper than that?

~kyle
post #3423 of 20368 Old 07-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

Do you concur with everyone else that for the money it's well worth it? Would love to have a couple more opinions on the before and after results.I'll look into a Great GRAMMA for my Tower

I just added two Grammas under my Conquest and it was a nice upgrade. My HT is on the 2nd floor above the garage with standard plywood base flooring and the Gramma nicely decoupled the Conquest resulting in cleaner bass and less obnoxious house rattling (but it can only do so much, a powerful sub is still going to make its presence known - heck that is part of the fun ).

Cheers,
Ross
post #3424 of 20368 Old 07-26-2008, 01:14 AM

I do agree that the isolation platforms from Auralex are worth using under your sub. The only time they may not be effective is if you are placing them a thick cement floor on ground level, in which case the energy passed through the floor will not result in resonance or vibration of the floor itself. Coupling with spikes in this case would probably yield better results. In all other cases, an isolation platform will remove the interaction of the sub with the floor and tighten up the sound.

I was also going to mention Full Compass considering that the price they will charge will be significantly lower, but they will charge for drop shipping from Auralex, so I'm not sure if it would be a better deal in the end. Full Compass is located about fifteen minutes from where I live just past the west side of Madison, and I have purchased all of my Auralex products from them for a price much lower than any internet retailer, including Sweetwater, and I have been able to pick them up from their facility and save on shipping as well. I also purchased a few items from them for taking measurements of my system, and again I got a fantastic deal; much better than any other chain store or internet establishment. As long as you order by phone or in person, they will quote you a price between 10% and 25% lower than what is listed on their site or catalog.

I also will mention that the expertise and service of the consultants is top notch and that alone is worth dealing with them.
post #3425 of 20368 Old 07-26-2008, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMMB View Post

I was also going to mention Full Compass considering that the price they will charge will be significantly lower, but they will charge for drop shipping from Auralex, so I'm not sure if it would be a better deal in the end.

I just checked on a GRAMMA on their website. It's $49.95, a whopping 2 cents cheaper than sweetwater, not really "significantly lower". But with shipping (to TN), it's $64.05. If it were me, I'd pay sweetwater $14.08 less and put up with their 6 "unwanted emails" spread out over three months.

But hey, that's just me.

~kyle
post #3426 of 20368 Old 07-26-2008, 06:55 AM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemitchell View Post

I just checked on a GRAMMA on their website. It's $49.95, a whopping 2 cents cheaper than sweetwater, not really "significantly lower". But with shipping (to TN), it's $64.05. If it were me, I'd pay sweetwater $14.08 less and put up with their 6 "unwanted emails" spread out over three months.

But hey, that's just me.

YOU HAVE TO CALL FULLCOMPASS to get their lowest price, it is a 1-800 number worth $0.00 of your money. Tell them Sweetwaters price, see if they will beat it, it is not like I am going to go around screaming bloody murder if sweetwater is less money, but if you have ever been to fullcompass you would do most of your shopping there, trust me.
post #3427 of 20368 Old 07-26-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:

But hey, that's just me.

kemitchell, since you didn't bother to read what I said, here's the important sentence of the post.

Quote:

As long as you order by phone or in person, they will quote you a price between 10% and 25% lower than what is listed on their site or catalog.

Perhaps some people are too eager to spend their time trying to counter helpful advice rather than take the time to read entire posts or pick up a phone to find out the lower price. Then again, maybe that's just you.

My first experience with Full Compass was when I was shopping for the best price on Auralex room treatments. Adam Grede is the consultant there that answered every question I had about how I should go about treating my room, and when I decided to place an order for the SonoSuede system, SonoFlats, and LENRDs, he quoted me a price that was nearly $400 less than what I knew was the best price for these items on any internet site, including Sweetwater. I thought he had made a mistake, but it turns out that every order I place with Adam gets me a price significantly lower than anyplace else.

My last order included a Behringer ECM8000 measurment mic, MS7701B boom mic stand, 15-MIC XLR mic cable, and an Auralex Great GRAMMA, for which I paid $153 plus Wisconsin tax. Given that the prices for these items total about $190 on their website and everywhere else I know of, I feel that Full Compass is getting me a good deal.
post #3428 of 20368 Old 07-26-2008, 12:02 PM

I'll also throw out True Sound Control as another option for Auralex products. List prices are as you'd expect, but they also offer free shipping on all items as well. I ordered a pair of SubDudes from them before I discovered Full Compass and also got some extra mounting clips for the SonoSuede panels.
post #3429 of 20368 Old 07-26-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

kenmitchell, since you didn't bother to read what I said, here's the important sentence of the post.

geesh...sorry guys, cut me some slack already. I screwed up, I'm sorry.

...that is, if you're talking to me. I'm not kenmitchell.

~kyle
post #3430 of 20368 Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 PM

well my 2nd castle seems to be messed up. making popping and crackling noises instead of bass. i thought it might be my new receiver but it's not as i hooked up my old one and got the same thing. my first one was damaged in shipping and this one seems to have just had something fry on me (kinda sounds like a voice coil problem). anyone have any ideas before i call them up to try to get a new one?
post #3431 of 20368 Old 07-27-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybarbour View Post

well my 2nd castle seems to be messed up. making popping and crackling noises instead of bass. i thought it might be my new receiver but it's not as i hooked up my old one and got the same thing. my first one was damaged in shipping and this one seems to have just had something fry on me (kinda sounds like a voice coil problem). anyone have any ideas before i call them up to try to get a new one?

Nope call and get a new one.
post #3432 of 20368 Old 07-27-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I found a Great GRAMMA for sale on eBay. I also had a 10% off any Paypal purchase which brought the total shipped price to $76.00 and change!

Hoping for as good of results as others here.
post #3433 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 02:45 AM

Man it's been 3 weeks and my Conquest is still proccessing!!
I hope its not much longer as it has to ship to California and I am tired of looking at the empty spot I plan on putting it in.
post #3434 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

It has been 3 weeks since I ordered duel Conquests to replace a pair of
HGS-18's.
When I placed my order I was told around 4 weeks until shipment.

John
post #3435 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 AM

Hello Guys

After a few weeks of research here I have decided to go with Epik Knight. This will be my first sub and from what I have read it kind of falls into the mid range, both in price and performance. It will be paired to a Denon 988 reciever and Polk Rt-i speakers in 5.1. I'll post a "very" amateur review when it arrives. I'd like to thank all who have contributed to this thread which greatly helped me make my decision. Add me to the Epik club!

Tom
post #3436 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the club Tom! I'm sure you'll love it.

~kyle
post #3437 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 05:57 AM

For those wondering about wait times on the Conquest- I placed my order on June 24 and it left Epik on July 22. It just arrived at the delivery hub in my city this morning so I should be getting a call soon for scheduling the delivery.
post #3438 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

so when do you know there is a problem?

is it when you think war of the worlds is the greatest movie ever made
or when you cant watch a movie with out the spl meter in your hand?
post #3439 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 AM

I'm going from a 10"/75 watt sub to the 18"/1000 watt Conquest and expect to be totally blown away by the difference. I just read somewhere that "Master and Commander" was a great movie for sub lows, the person writing said the opening battle scene will crack the plaster in your walls and cause you guests to lose control of their bowels (brown note) if your sub is up to the task. I think I'm going to put a diaper on during the test phase of the Conquest .
post #3440 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:

I don't know about the dubdude...but you can get the SubDude from Sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDude

The GRAMMA's a little larger for the same price:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRAMMA/

Also check you local music equipment shops. They will also carry them. Here in MA, Daddy's Junky Music sells the for the same as Sweetwater. I was lucky enough to pick up a Gramma NEW on Craigslist for $25.

------------------------------------------------------
BinaryLinguist
post #3441 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLinguist View Post

Also check you local music equipment shops. They will also carry them. Here in MA, Daddy's Junky Music sells the for the same as Sweetwater. I was lucky enough to pick up a Gramma NEW on Craigslist for $25.

I got a Great GRAMMA on eBay for $75 shipped, but have purchased so much from Craigslist in the last 3 months its ridiculous. I estimate I've saved over $3,000 in purchases versus new prices and almost everything I've bought has been in "new" or "like new" condition.

-Chad
post #3442 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 AM

I ordered my Tower on June 26 (late/PM) and it was shipped on July 28 and is scheduled to arrive in SC tomorrow (7/30).
post #3443 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

well the time is getting close for you maybe no sleep tonight hahaha
i hope you enjoy, i am sure you have source material ready
remember to play at ref. levels
enjoy
post #3444 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

You soon-to-be Conquest owners are going to have a permagrin upon testing out your new beast .

It took me several months to really get mine dialed in with the best placement, phase settings, corssover, EQ, and room treatments, but the reward now is extremely clean, low distortion, effortlessly powerful bass. The only thing I could wish for is a 2nd stacked Conquest .

Cheers,
Ross
post #3445 of 20368 Old 07-29-2008, 11:41 PM

I've been meaning to post this video of my Knight in action, The first song does have some "stronger" language in it, but both are great songs for showoff.

Enjoy

http://www.vimeo.com/1336541

I like turtles.
post #3446 of 20368 Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Haven't posted much since receiving my Castle. First off, I am enjoying this speaker more and more every time I use it. I have it temporarily sitting in the front right corner of my living room on a great gamma pad. It will be moved under the stairs in a custom enclosure in the next few weeks (girlfriend recommended ;-) ) and I hope the sound still impresses. I've paired the sub with a complete Mythos speaker setup (7.1) and a Sony 5300ES AVR and couldn't be happier. I bought Cloverfield (so-so movie) and proceeded to vibrate and move soda cans on my OUTSIDE patio table through my brick home. Quite impressive to the point that I was beginning to worry about the structural integrity of my home and windows. My only question thus far is if I leave the sub powered on for a long time without it receiving a signal, the light goes "red" and then I have to turn it off and back on again to get it to turn green again. Not sure how to alleviate this issue.
post #3447 of 20368 Old 07-30-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingOK View Post

Haven't posted much since receiving my Castle. First off, I am enjoying this speaker more and more every time I use it. I have it temporarily sitting in the front right corner of my living room on a great gamma pad. It will be moved under the stairs in a custom enclosure in the next few weeks (girlfriend recommended ;-) ) and I hope the sound still impresses. I've paired the sub with a complete Mythos speaker setup (7.1) and a Sony 5300ES AVR and couldn't be happier. I bought Cloverfield (so-so movie) and proceeded to vibrate and move soda cans on my OUTSIDE patio table through my brick home. Quite impressive to the point that I was beginning to worry about the structural integrity of my home and windows. My only question thus far is if I leave the sub powered on for a long time without it receiving a signal, the light goes "red" and then I have to turn it off and back on again to get it to turn green again. Not sure how to alleviate this issue.

I'm assuming you have the sub switch set to the auto position and not to the on. On my Valor that is the center position Usually, your problem is due to the volume of the sub not being set high enough for it to recognize the signal and turn on. Also, check your receiver sub settings. Without any signal the sub should automatically shut off in 15 minutes and the light will be red.
post #3448 of 20368 Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

wow. someone is selling their Conquest for $1.4K in the 'speaker for sale' section. pickup only tho 60*** zip code.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #3449 of 20368 Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 PM

Well, just when you think you have seen it all. I just sold my Conquest and it fits in a Nissan Altima!!! With all doors closed and the trunk too! Impossible you say?
Pics to come! :-)
Best,
Chris
post #3450 of 20368 Old 07-31-2008, 04:01 PM

Been exactly 4 weeks since I placed my order for a Knight. Not sure what the lead times are now, though I read a month or so. My first sub, and I can't wait! But, I guess I will have to. BTW, I'm new to Epik (and subs in general), so someone give me a hi-fi, and don't leave me hangin!

I Cannot Wait!

The name of my build says it all.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page