Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2008, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The freight company called and will be delivering my Conquest Monday am before 11:00 am.. Looks like a great way to start the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbushman View Post

Just FYI... I ordered a castle on 7/14 and it shipped today (got tracking # yesterday)...while waiting I decided to switch my shipping address to the FED EX terminal (about 5 miles from my house) instead of having it shipped to my house. My thinking was it may be a little cheaper and the less handling the better...I was happy to see that the shipping went down from $157 to a tad over $100! I just emailed Karen and she changed the address for me...she originally said it would only go down a few dollars,but it ended up being $57.

I will post impressions when I get it...I am upgrading from a Hsu VTF-3.2...I also have a MBM-12...does anyone else have a Castle and MBM-12? I'm wondering if I will even need the MBM-12? Bill

Try them both together full range, differnet combos. You never know what you will get until you fool around with them.

Bill
Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 PM

Liked: 21
Just thought I'd tell you all something about my valor.

I've had it for about 6 months now, and it has been great. It is basically the only thing I havn't upgraded in this time period. It is also the only thing I havn't even contemplated upgrading.

My closest neighbor is about 1/6 mile away, and they complain about the bass. They say the have to wear earplugs at night just to sleep. So if you are questioning the valor's output, please don't unless you have a HUGE room, or are an absolute bass addict. And remember, if my neighbors could hear it that far away, you may want to think twice about getting a sub with more output if you have neighbors anywhere in that distance.

Oh, and I listen at levels occasionally peaking 113db.

-Blake
Old 08-16-2008, 04:25 PM

Liked: 10
Have you measured the Valor's floor with regards to frequency response? I am seriously considering dual Valors compared to the Castle or possibly the Tower. I want ALOT of kick in the chest as well as ability to play down to around 15Hz with some authority.

I have a setup now consisting of non-matching dual subs and I get peaks of around 115 on the "Bass Mechanic" cd. You can definitely feel it but the subs are mis-matched and pretty fugly together. I will be using the subs primarily for HT but I want my Arcam AVR300 to sound really good with music as well...hence the dual Valors idea.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:45 PM

here are some pics of the caliber incase someone wants to know how big it really is
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...pik%20Caliber/
the sub to the right is a velodyne vrp1200 which is big too. You can see the differnece in size.

Mother should I trust the government
Old 08-16-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvckmiller View Post

Have you
I have a setup now consisting of non-matching dual subs and I get peaks of around 115 on the "Bass Mechanic" cd. You can definitely feel it but the subs are mis-matched and pretty fugly together. I will be using the subs primarily for HT but I want my Arcam AVR300 to sound really good with music as well...hence the dual Valors idea.

Curious which subs do you use now?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Have you measured the Valor's floor with regards to frequency response? I am seriously considering dual Valors compared to the Castle or possibly the Tower. I want ALOT of kick in the chest as well as ability to play down to around 15Hz with some authority.

I don't have the software to do a FR graph, though I would love to get it someday. And FWIW when I said 113db I meant without the subwoofer on. (So the sub has to be quite loud in order to keep up which it does nicely)

I have run sine waves on my bass mechanik discs, and it puts out nothing below about 18hz in my room. If I were you I would get a buttkicker. I have 2 of the smaller buttkicker gamers and they are the best $140 I ever spent on audio. They cover the super low stuff, and give you visceral impact from movie/game content.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

Just thought I'd tell you all something about my valor.

I've had it for about 6 months now, and it has been great. It is basically the only thing I havn't upgraded in this time period. It is also the only thing I havn't even contemplated upgrading.

My closest neighbor is about 1/6 mile away, and they complain about the bass. They say the have to wear earplugs at night just to sleep. So if you are questioning the valor's output, please don't unless you have a HUGE room, or are an absolute bass addict. And remember, if my neighbors could hear it that far away, you may want to think twice about getting a sub with more output if you have neighbors anywhere in that distance.

Oh, and I listen at levels occasionally peaking 113db.

-Blake

Is your sub in a basement or ground floor. I would assume that if it's in a basement that it won't bother the neighbors at all.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON IN II View Post

The freight company called and will be delivering my Conquest Monday am before 11:00 am.. Looks like a great way to start the week.

Sounds like it!

I expect a call Monday and my duel Conquests will be delivered Tuesday. It's been a long 6 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Who needs buttkickers when you have an Epik Tower?

Even with the Conquests I will still use my BK setup.

John
Old 08-17-2008, 02:33 AM

I have an M&K MX-350 with dual push-pull 12's and a DIY sub. The DIY uses a Dayton Titanic MKlll 12" driver with a PE 250 watt class ab amp. The box is a 3cu.ft vented enclosure tuned to about 22Hz. Actually the M&K doesn't look bad at all but the DIY is much shorter but longer. Since I have them co-located they kinda stick out like a sore thumb. They sound surprisingly good together although I do have a little problem with cancellation down really low. I have adjusted phase and it really isn't that noticeable until you measure them together.

I am hoping the Valors can play lower and still give me that kick in the chest. Their musical reputation is really intriquing to me.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since I have them co-located they kinda stick out like a sore thumb. They sound surprisingly good together although I do have a little problem with cancellation down really low. I have adjusted phase and it really isn't that noticeable until you measure them together.

I am hoping the Valors can play lower and still give me that kick in the chest. Their musical reputation is really intriquing to me.

Thats what I was wondering if they were co-located or separate. I wonder why they cancel each other if they are pointing the same direction? But they sound pretty good together you say? I like the post of the Valor being musical with HT. I finally ordered one but will see how it sound for HT co-located with my 2 Svs Pb10. Curious. If they sound like crap all together then I will move the worst ones. But imo for Ht the Svs sound good just not enough mid. With a Valor in the mix together i don't see any cancellation? But whatever I will try and make adjustments from there. Maybe 3-4 valors??
Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Is your sub in a basement or ground floor. I would assume that if it's in a basement that it won't bother the neighbors at all.

I have it on the second floor, on a subdude (which doesn't do anything for neighbors in different houses.)
Old 08-17-2008, 08:18 PM

Actually the M&K fires up into the cabinet and out into the room whereas the DIY is downward firing. There is a LITTLE cancellation because I can measure the M&K at 20 and get stronger readings than with both simultaneously.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24 dB per octave View Post

I'm still trying to find someone in the SF Bay Area who's willing to let me audition a Valor. (Maybe there aren't any?) I'm in Santa Rosa & willing to drive.

Thanks, Alan

Anyone? I'm interested in Epik's Valor or AV123's MFW-15.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually the M&K fires up into the cabinet and out into the room whereas the DIY is downward firing. There is a LITTLE cancellation because I can measure the M&K at 20 and get stronger readings than with both simultaneously.

I wonder if the M&K has more at 20 then the diy anyway? Or do they read the same? Anyways I'm going to mix my Valor and see how I like it. man I have alot of room for subs in height and width but with I'm limited to 22" depth. Or I would just get a Tower or at least a Knight. Hope the Valor delivers.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

Sounds like it!

I expect a call Monday and my duel Conquests will be delivered Tuesday. It's been a long 6 weeks!

John

Yes it has! I wish I had a second coming along with a couple MBM's. Your a lucky man!!

I also read you are going to use the Anti-Mode 8033b. I am also thinking of getting one as I love the automatic set up and I am not a big enough tweeker to get a Behringer or do the REW thing. Please let me know what you think of the 8033 as it will help me to get some feedback from someone with the same sub.

I'll be listening for you.

Mark
Old 08-18-2008, 03:22 PM

My wife just called....the freight company just delivered my second Conquest underneath the carport! These next few hours of work will drag by, knowing that when I get home I'll have ANOTHER Conquest to play with!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post

My wife just called....the freight company just delivered my second Conquest underneath the carport! These next few hours of work will drag by, knowing that when I get home I'll have ANOTHER Conquest to play with!

How big is your theater room that you need 2 conquests?

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:

How big is your theater room that you need 2 conquests?

That in unimaginable. My valor is just fine for me. I have a feeling he wants more vicseral boom in his chest, and rumble in the floor creating more rumble in his chair. Get a buttkicker man! They are probably like adding 2 conquests to a system as far as "feeling" the bass goes.

Either way, enjoy! I'm sure it will be ear drum flapping bliss...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:00 PM

Holy Smokes!!!! Thats all I could say after hooking up my Conquest and watching the end of Transformers on HBO HD. I still haven't stopped smiling.
I can not believe the output and sound quality of this Beast. I have a 5500cu ft open room and this thing not only completely fills the room with intense bass but it fills the entire house and block with it and I only have it set at 4.
The wife thought we were having an earthquake while she was in the bathroom when the Transformer punched the concrete in the movie and that bass line rumbled through the house.
I'll play with it more tomorrow and move it around some to see if there are any changes and get the spl meter going but I can't say enough about the Conquest.
Thanks Chad!!!!

I have some pics I'll post later of the packaging and set up.

Mark
Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

That in unimaginable. My valor is just fine for me. I have a feeling he wants more vicseral boom in his chest, and rumble in the floor creating more rumble in his chair. Get a buttkicker man! They are probably like adding 2 conquests to a system as far as "feeling" the bass goes.

Either way, enjoy! I'm sure it will be ear drum flapping bliss...

My duel Conquests are being delivered in the morning. I already use 2 original Buttkickers each driven by a bridged Crown K2.

My room is 2048 cf

John
LL
Old 08-19-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

My duel Conquests are being delivered in the morning. I already use 2 original Buttkickers each driven by a bridged Crown K2.

My room is 2048 cf

John

i cant imagine, wow!
i have twin towers in 2400cf room, now with treatments.
it is down right scary. even on the most demanding passages they seem
like they are barely getting a workout.
2 conquests thats a lot of headroom.
so are you taking the day off to play with new toys?
enjoy!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

i cant imagine, wow!
i have twin towers in 2400cf room, now with treatments.
it is down right scary. even on the most demanding passages they seem
like they are barely getting a workout.
2 conquests thats a lot of headroom.
so are you taking the day off to play with new toys?
enjoy!

The falcon has landed... the fat man walks alone.

The Conquests have arrived. Very nice exterior packaged. I may need to wait until this evening for help moving them inside.

My room treatments should be here in a few days.

John

John
Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Yes wait for help, I popped two hernias moving a Knight around, yes I said Knight. June 27th, then July 18th were the repair surgeries, they are not fun, especially when they were both done open and not laproscopy.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post

Yes wait for help, I popped two hernias moving a Knight around, yes I said Knight. June 27th, then July 18th were the repair surgeries, they are not fun, especially when they were both done open and not laproscopy.

I hear ya, I had double hernia laproscopy, and even it was no fun.
Now to my Valor that I received yesterday, in good repair. I have only 1700 cubic feet of sealed room space. The Valor should be more then enough for me, I do like the Valor's looks. And the music I have played so far, its been right on. Just need more time to get it all tuned in.

JuS a KiL'n tImE, MayHaPs Me tHiNks, TiS kIl'n Me...
Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVBard View Post

Now to my Valor that I received yesterday, in good repair. I have only 1700 cubic feet of sealed room space. The Valor should be more then enough for me, I do like the Valor's looks. And the music I have played so far, its been right on. Just need more time to get it all tuned in.

How long did it take to receive after you ordered? Post your impressions after a movie
Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

when are your credit cards charged for a conquest? when you order? during your order (within a month)? or right before shipment? (a day or two before)

Mike C
MKC International
SVSound Philippine Dealer
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit View Post

when are your credit cards charged for a conquest? when you order? during your order (within a month)? or right before shipment? (a day or two before)

My Castle was charged on 8/9 and it shipped 8/14...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 PM

your credit card is charged right when it ships. I ordered my caliber about 2 months ago and when you first place your order your bank will hold the money, but i a week it will release it. then right before it ships they take it. if anyone thinks they have a month or so to get the money together you can not. you can spend it after the bank releases but will have to have it back for shipment. Hope this helps

Mother should I trust the government
Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

How long did it take to receive after you ordered? Post your impressions after a movie

I ordered on Aug 1 and received it on Aug 18. Fairly quick I thought. Yeah will post my impressions after first movie or movies. albeit awhile, mybe even a week, before I can get around to it.

JuS a KiL'n tImE, MayHaPs Me tHiNks, TiS kIl'n Me...

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer