Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

Old 09-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just very happy to read these impressions. For 549- the Valor performs as well the PB12 + 2 that is 1299. SVS must be hearing shockwaves.

How does the valor compare in an HT setting with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Does it play as loud and powerful as the plus/2?

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd View Post

Gee, maybe cause of comments like these?

Ahhh, but the Valor is only around 16 inches wide. Plenty of room to spare. When I say I want a sub that's as small as possible, I mostly mean the depth of the sub (and Chad is well aware of that ).
Old 09-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:

How does the valor compare in an HT setting with it?

Very good. I ran some scenes of Incredibles and it did a very good job in a open basement HT where my prev SVS Pb10 was completely lost. Didnt fill it like the plus/2 but didnt lose the impact. For $550 this is a great deal!

Quote:

Does it play as loud and powerful as the plus/2?

I cannot answer this quantitatively, if i were to hazard a guesstimate based on Incredibles scenes i ran yest night it gets about 60-70% of the plus/2 from 30hz and above.

After struggling to do A-B comparision yest night, I gave up and turned both the Valor & Plus/2 on un-eqed Sounded great until my wife stomped down and said "you dont care about anything else - help me put the kids to bed"

More A-B testing tonight after the kids are sleeping and I open a bottle of Glenlivet

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhack View Post

...until my wife stomped down and said "you dont care about anything else - help me put the kids to bed"

Why does that sound so familiar to me???

Old 09-21-2007, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Ahhh, but the Valor is only around 16 inches wide. Plenty of room to spare. When I say I want a sub that's as small as possible, I mostly mean the depth of the sub (and Chad is well aware of that ).

Sure, but hey, why make it any wider if it doesn't need to be?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

chad do you have any comments on how the Valor should compare to the PB/12 plus two?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
On sound quality...

The SVS new Ultra being ranked over the Fathom.The SVS being more efficient and driver's piston having to work less(less excursion)to reproduce a given frequency contributes to the better percieved SQ.

Look at the SeatonSound Submersive,uses two 15" drivers in place of one 13.5" very high excursion unit.Again the SQ would be in favor of the Submersive at high SPL. IMHO

This will be the case with any two high quality subs,the less excusion you have the better.Even with the quite advanced "linear" motors found sound quality worsens when you start to reach very high excursion.

Not that it matters that much as hearing is not linear and at very high SPL natural ear protection kicks in.

It is fun to see a beefy driver with 4" P to P excusion,but it does not add at all to sound quality,better use duals each with half the excursion.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR View Post

On sound quality...

The SVS new Ultra being ranked over the Fathom.The SVS being more efficient and driver's piston having to work less(less excursion)to reproduce a given frequency contributes to the better percieved SQ.

hmm...... just curious, but how do you know what the efficiency in each is? did you measure each driver? Both the Fathom W7 driver and the Ultra are 13.x" derivatives, with the JL driver having the much beefier motor and TONS of excursion....so i'm curious as to why your think the ultra 's piston has to work less?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Ssabripo,
The Ultra should be more efficient at the lower freq's due to the port contribution.

The 13W7 is probably beefier than the ultra 13 driver but if you look at the pics at SVS it is pretty substantial looking itself.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Ssabripo,
The Ultra should be more efficient at the lower freq's due to the port contribution.

The 13W7 is probably beefier than the ultra 13 driver but if you look at the pics at SVS it is pretty substantial looking itself.

the only thing certain is that the EBS alignment and larger enclosure should make it more efficient around tuning frequency only! everywhere else is unknown.

as for the drivers, i've seen them both, in person....touched them, sniffed them, played with them ( )........The JL is MUCH beefier. Not that the Ultra is a snoozer.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

I just talked to my wife about getting a sub. I'm not sure why but she wants me to get the best and keeps talking me into getting a conquest. She says if i'm going to spend a bunch of money i might as well get the best.. I'm moving into a house where my entertainment room will be 16 x 20 x 8. The lengthy side actually is about 24 at its longest point because of the shape of one side (its not a rectangular room, one side is more like a trapezoid). Anyways. I just ended up talking to chad also on the phone, he seemed to think getting a conquest was my best bet as i'll shouldnt ever have upgraditis. The price is fantastic, however i'm not exactly overflowing in funds at the moment, still have a bit of money on the CC. Ahh sh*t what the hell, this is why i have a job right?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure, but hey, why make it any wider if it doesn't need to be?

Caus' it looks like they made it really close to the edges!
Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolfe38 View Post

I just talked to my wife about getting a sub. I'm not sure why but she wants me to get the best and keeps talking me into getting a conquest. She says if i'm going to spend a bunch of money i might as well get the best.. I'm moving into a house where my entertainment room will be 16 x 20 x 8. The lengthy side actually is about 24 at its longest point because of the shape of one side (its not a rectangular room, one side is more like a trapezoid). Anyways. I just ended up talking to chad also on the phone, he seemed to think getting a conquest was my best bet as i'll shouldnt ever have upgraditis. The price is fantastic, however i'm not exactly overflowing in funds at the moment, still have a bit of money on the CC. Ahh sh*t what the hell, this is why i have a job right?

I hope you get the conquest!!! I would LOVE to see anyone get their hands on this asap and start to share measurements and feedback. I can just imagine what it would sound like.

btw, do you still have the AVP2 or did you just remain with the Halcro?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Caus' it looks like they made it really close to the edges!

But why do you think this is a problem?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Is it better to call in and order or just order on line? It seems real simple to place an order on line.

I'm your Huckleberry
Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

Is it better to call in and order or just order on line? It seems real simple to place an order on line.

either way.... you can email/call or place it online, unless chad is updating the website.

which one are you planning on getting? I hope a conquest or tower.....need some people out in the field with them, to post measurements and impressions... we the people are waiting
Old 09-21-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I hope you get the conquest!!! I would LOVE to see anyone get their hands on this asap and start to share measurements and feedback. I can just imagine what it would sound like.

My wife saw the Valor and goes "how come you got such a small sub?"! I am tempted to get the Conquest after a statement like that - but I want a sealed sub, now that I have enough ported subs!

Old 09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am tempted to get the Conquest after a statement like that - but I want a sealed sub, now that I have enough ported subs!

You might wanna check with Chad on upcoming sealed sub offerings.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:52 PM

I tested the Valor in a few more positions before settling on a nearfield placement behind the main listening area. Check out the FR - I dont see the insane low end gain I was getting earlier that drowned out all the mid and upper bass. At higher bass peaks (95-100db) with music I was hearing some overhang - probably due to the elevated levels all the way to 50hz. I could hear this on some bass notes (The Falls from The Mission soundtrack), but not on the bass drum thwacks on "Fanfare for the Common Man" as the bass drum has a natural decay that masks it.
LL

Old 09-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

According to the conversation i had with one of chad's employees (i think his name was dale) they have a good supply of conquests right now that are just about finished (possibly finished by now). And they will ship in 3-5 days. Hopefully I'll get mine by the end of next week.

BTW, what should i get for calibrating this thingy? I don't have an spl meter or anything yet and i'm broke. Is there anything i can get for cheap, even $50 sounds like a lot right now. I may just try to match it by ear.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

According to the conversation i had with one of chad's employees (i think his name was dale)

Not your average employee. That was Dale Kuypers, Chad's father, that you spoke to.

Quote:

BTW, what should i get for calibrating this thingy? I don't have an spl meter or anything yet and i'm broke. Is there anything i can get for cheap, even $50 sounds like a lot right now. I may just try to match it by ear.

A Radio Shack SPL meter is the cheapest thing to get. It will allow you to set your receiver's output blend the sub with the rest of the system. You can also use the SPL meter to measure your sub's response. If it isn't flat, you can add a parametric EQ to achieve a flat response.

-Robert
Old 09-23-2007, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very good. I ran some scenes of Incredibles and it did a very good job in a open basement HT where my prev SVS Pb10 was completely lost. Didnt fill it like the plus/2 but didnt lose the impact. For $550 this is a great deal!

So to get an idea of what the Valor sounds like how the PB10 sound with music compared to the Valor? Can you A/B both subs? Just wondering what the performance difference would be between the 2.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:51 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
1 conquest or 3 valors ?

both about the same price, which would be better assuming the 3 valors are stacked

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:10 AM

Liked: 30
Chad, I've got some questions for you. Where are the Valor pictures ? How much does the Valor weigh ?

I currently have an SVS PB10 ISD. Marvelous subwoofer but the Valor is roughly $100 more. It's bigger and it has a higher excursion 15" driver. Can anyone here give any indication as to how much more powerful a single Valor will be compared to the PB10 ISD ?

Please keep in mind that I want to experience the deepest and cleanest bass within my budget. The tuning frequency of the PB10 is 17.5 hz.

Thanks !
Old 09-23-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:

So to get an idea of what the Valor sounds like how the PB10 sound with music compared to the Valor? Can you A/B both subs? Just wondering what the performance difference would be between the 2.

I dont have the PB10 anymore, I did an A/B comparision with the Plus/2 over the last 2 days. I could not tell much diff in sq for music between the two - the Plus/2 appears a little bit more authoritative at higher volumes and is less localizable than the Valor. The localization with Valor was not an issue once I lowered my crossover from 70hz to 60hz (my LR mains are Aerial 7b powered by 450watts/ch from a Citation amp).

Quote:

I currently have an SVS PB10 ISD. Marvelous subwoofer but the Valor is roughly $100 more. It's bigger and it has a higher excursion 15" driver. Can anyone here give any indication as to how much more powerful a single Valor will be compared to the PB10 ISD ?

Based on my prev experience with Pb10, I can say that Valor is easily worth the $100 difference - esp for HT. The Valor fills the space more authoritatively - pls remember that my comparision is based on memory, I dont have the Pb10 for A/B comparision.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 AM

For me, the most annoying thing about the PB10 ISD is that it goes into heavy compression early on. Even Eq'ed flat and SPL set to between 73-74 dB's, it seems to go into compression on bass scenes from The Matrix. When I increase the volume to -8 on the dojo scene when Morpheus does his eagle knee smash, there is bass.

But it doesn't feel like the sub is pressurizing the room. I have a 3000 cubic foot space. The listening area is 2000 but it opens to a kitchen. If I increase the volume to reference, there seems to be virtually no bass whatsoever.

I need something that will be at least twice as powerful as the PB10. Does anyone think that the Valor will deliver twice the clean output of a Pb10 ?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I need something that will be at least twice as powerful as the PB10. Does anyone think that the Valor will deliver twice the clean output of a Pb10 ?

One would think it'd have a good chance. Afterall, its a 15" driver vs a 10" driver. Likely has twice the displacement and could be up to 3dB more efficient. Granted it isn't ported, so that'll make a difference around the PB10's Fb.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:

One would think it'd have a good chance. Afterall, its a 15" driver vs a 10" driver. Likely has twice the displacement and could be up to 3dB more efficient. Granted it isn't ported, so that'll make a difference around the PB10's Fb.

Agreed.

I was trying to determine how high the Valor goes in the mid-bass in my room, but it seems to be hitting a room mode where not much changes in the 50-60hz after around 90db. I am still scratching my head to figure out how to interpret the FR sweeps. I stopped after reaching the 3 o'clock on vol as the sub was compressing at this point.

I know I am not supposed to be looking at just 1 num, but check out the 100+db at 20hz with room gain . At the same location the Plus/2 was hitting 104db
LL
LL
LL
LL

Old 09-23-2007, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the replies ! Does anyone know what the resonating frequency is for the Valor ?

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer