1Likes

post #5401 of 20378 Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Still massive midbass subs will have the same problems in a 12x12 room. The standing waves are 10' to 100' long, bounce back and cancel. A gym or large arena is perfect for high powered midbass. In a home theatre you want a bit of everything, extention, midbass slam and articulation up to the crossover.

Good to know...! So for a square room what you recomend? To try deaden one or two sides of the room in order to create a sound effect as the room is longer or narrower than it really is. Will it improve the bass or will it suck it from the room? And to try not to go out of topic, the new epik line of subs is impresive..the slot ported 18" sub for me is the most interesting. Looks like an oversized MFW-15

Seize the Day..!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 20378 Old 03-17-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
I wonder how the Dragon stacks up against the Ed A7S - 450? Both are near in price, sealed, and size. Then there is the Conquest vs the Ed A7 - 450? Again similar! Seeing the stats on each would be interesting.

Bill
post #5403 of 20378 Old 03-17-2009, 09:07 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

I wonder how the Dragon stacks up against the Ed A7S - 450? Both are near in price, sealed, and size. Then there is the Conquest vs the Ed A7 - 450? Again similar! Seeing the stats on each would be interesting.

Bill

Seeing the stats on each from the same person you mean . Manufacturer stats are really really worthless in the Sub domain. It is how it performs in a average room, whatever average is! lol Ground plane is even flawed. Ones room is all that matters. I get 13.1Hz from a Knight (at 80-85~ dB, never tested higher...should have but did not), but either way my room is only 1600cf/sealed. That is after you factor in risers, furniture, speakers cabinets, etc. But is that average, for the Knight, probably not.
post #5404 of 20378 Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post

Seeing the stats on each from the same person you mean . Manufacturer stats are really really worthless in the Sub domain. It is how it performs in a average room, whatever average is! lol Ground plane is even flawed. Ones room is all that matters. I get 13.1Hz from a Knight (at 80-85~ dB, never tested higher...should have but did not), but either way my room is only 1600cf/sealed. That is after you factor in risers, furniture, speakers cabinets, etc. But is that average, for the Knight, probably not.

Maybe we need Consumer Reports to do the sub testing?

Bill
post #5405 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
This thread must be quiet because there are others now taking delivery today and setting things up. It probably sounds so good, you can't stop to post your reviews Yeah, thats it.........

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #5406 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Liked: 11
Gov,

When do you expect to receive your Phoenix?
post #5407 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy joe divola View Post

Gov,

Now that one takes ages to set up right!

Before you can even start thinking about in-room placement, you have to go siphon some gas, find a safe spot in the yard, set it on fire and then wait around while it totally reconstitutes itself from the ashes. Tedious. On the plus side, it always runs really cool after that, all heat having been exchanged in advance.
post #5408 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Hey guys, new to your thread, but familiar by research only to EPIK subs. From a commercially made sub it's a design I would stand behind. Very well made subs. Reason I'm jumping over here is I'm having a subwoofer shootout and wanted to see if anyone has an EPIK sub that wouldn't mind being transported to middle TN in middle of april. We already have some hugely expensive subs on our list and I'm sure more to follow. Even if you don't have one close by come by and check out our thread. Here is the link to the thread. To entice some of you, the smallest amp we will have there has 2400 watts on tap. Read that again...The SMALLEST amp we will have there is 2400 watts. We go up to 8000 from there and mostly have 18" subs.
post #5409 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy joe divola View Post

Gov,

I ordered it this past Saturday. I was told 2-3 weeks, but probably closer to 2 weeks Karen said. So, I am thinking by the end of the month I hope.
I am really hoping someone jumps on here that has received a Phoenix to give us some input and pictures of course. I can't wait to see what the ports look like on it.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #5410 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

I got my shipping confirmation email with Fedex tracking numbers. I assume the Dragon will probably get on a Fedex truck tomorrow afternoon (if it didn't today). I'm having it shipped to the local Fedex facility, so if it gets there on a Saturday I can just go pick it up! Can't wait!!!!!
post #5411 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 12:37 PM

Liked: 11
Any other Dragon owners want to give us reviews
post #5412 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 01:27 PM

A cheaper but equally effective alternative to the GRAMMA is these spikes. I put them on my Castle and it tightened up the bass considerably. Then I added an Antimode 8033 into the signal chain and that made an even bigger difference in removing boominess and improving bass quality.
post #5413 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Is it true if u buy a used epik subwoofer the warranty is nontransferrable?
post #5414 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Is it true if u buy a used epik subwoofer the warranty is nontransferrable?

True.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #5415 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

True. I read it somewhere in this thread.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #5416 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got tile floors with a huge rug covering most of the area. And I found it necessary to use some sort of interface between my Tower and the tile surface. When I originally got it, you'd hear intermitant creeking sounds as the sub moved along the edges between the tiles. Was tempted to buy those $79-$99 isolation pads, but the packaging foam from EPIK works very well. It can even be cut to cover the whole base of the sub too.

post #5417 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Is it worth getting a used epik if u can save around 600 dollars? No warranty any major issues with these subs?
post #5418 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I ordered it this past Saturday. I was told 2-3 weeks, but probably closer to 2 weeks Karen said. So, I am thinking by the end of the month I hope.
I am really hoping someone jumps on here that has received a Phoenix to give us some input and pictures of course. I can't wait to see what the ports look like on it.

Congrats and Bump for some pics of the phoenix for ya
post #5419 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it worth getting a used epik if u can save around 600 dollars? No warranty any major issues with these subs?

I think it depends on the previous owner, if it was abused or just used like it was intended and not pushed over the top .
post #5420 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

I think the squareness of my room is a huge problem. Massive cancellation problems. I also just upgraded my amp and i find myself listening to music at -6 and movies at 0 and still finding movies to be inadequate in volume not just with the sub but with speakers. It may be time to change rooms. Although how much better would a 12 wide by 18 long room be? Its my only other option. This sub is begging for proper placement. I thought throwing money at equipment would help the problem but it seems as if the room is the most important part.
post #5421 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Seem to remember it was mentioned here a few pages back that the owner of Epik claims to have had a grand total of two returns so far. Obviously not an unbiased source there, but we've certainly not seen many quality or performance complaints detailed in this thread. Personally, my main concern would be shipping damage.
post #5422 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousmatty View Post

I think the squareness of my room is a huge problem. Massive cancellation problems. I also just upgraded my amp and i find myself listening to music at -6 and movies at 0 and still finding movies to be inadequate in volume not just with the sub but with speakers. It may be time to change rooms. Although how much better would a 12 wide by 18 long room be? Its my only other option. This sub is begging for proper placement. I thought throwing money at equipment would help the problem but it seems as if the room is the most important part.

Have you run/ran REW yet? It would help to graphically see whats going on in your room wrt bass at the listening position.

post #5423 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

I plan on running REW friday morning. I measured that the subwoofer has 7 1/2 feet in front of it. I listened to the bridge scene on cloverfield tonight per recs from people on the forums. While it sounded good I wasnt blown away which leads me to believe a) My room is just awful b) I should have got a conquest if I wanted to be blown away. Im obviously not in the position to pass a judgement on the dragon with my less than stellar acoustic problems so future dragon owners dont be discouraged. With that being said I think a conquest is in my future. I dont want to always be thinking "man this sounds good but the conquest would sound amazing" Im not giving up yet but if anyone in the pittsburgh area is interested in possibly owning a dragon this weekend pm me.
post #5424 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

What SPL are you getting for that "Cloverfield" scene from your LP?

post #5425 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Matty,

I'll let you know what I experience when I receive mine. I ordered up WOTW from Netflix yesterday and just received it in anticipation or getting my Dragon Saturday or early next week. My room is similar to yours, the only thing that doesn't make my room practically square is the fact that there is an open closet in one of the rear corners. Aside from that its essentially a square 1000 cubic feet. My only previous subwoofer in this room was a ProSub 600, so that's my only point of comparison. Can't wait.. I'll definitely post back a nontechnical opinion.

John H,

Where ya at bud? I'm waiting to hear how you feel about your purchase!

Quote:

I plan on running REW friday morning. I measured that the subwoofer has 7 1/2 feet in front of it. I listened to the bridge scene on cloverfield tonight per recs from people on the forums. While it sounded good I wasnt blown away which leads me to believe a) My room is just awful b) I should have got a conquest if I wanted to be blown away. Im obviously not in the position to pass a judgement on the dragon with my less than stellar acoustic problems so future dragon owners dont be discouraged. With that being said I think a conquest is in my future. I dont want to always be thinking "man this sounds good but the conquest would sound amazing" Im not giving up yet but if anyone in the pittsburgh area is interested in possibly owning a dragon this weekend pm me.

post #5426 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'll have to say this again, and am very curious about this; I THINK the older Castle, Tower, and Conquest designs, although a bigger footprint, would OUTperform the new line. THIS IS JUST A SPECULATION. I am slightly biased though; I own a Tower

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #5427 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

What SPL are you getting for that "Cloverfield" scene from your LP?

At -5 from reference level which i listen to all movies at I hit a peak on that scene of 104 This is from my listening position using a radioshack meter
post #5428 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you cant figure it out and or you just want the conquest wouldnt it be easier to upgrade threw Epic ? Or are you past the return policy.... just curious and BTW I hope you can work things out because I know That must be frustrating. Dont give up and good luck
post #5429 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

I just thought Id be a nice guy and offer anyone on the fence about buying a 0 day waiting period opposed to the 3 weeks that epik quotes now...plus id have to pay to have it shipped back. I looked at the dynasty and if ones going to get that they might as well get the conquest.
post #5430 of 20378 Old 03-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At -5 from reference level which i listen to all movies at I hit a peak on that scene of 104 This is from my listening position using a radioshack meter

If this is from 7 1/2 feet away, @ -5db, you should be hitting more than 104db I would think with that scene "C" weighting "fast" on the meter

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page