post #31 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

You do realize that you are the only person to post something this obnoxious about the JL Audio subs.

This forum has seen enough of the juvenile comments from guys like you.

Naw I agree with his comment.

Its a cute sub though.... If your girlfriend doesn't let you buy something big or if you don't like manly looking/sounding subs then the jl will do the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LOL that was a good one. (@ craigsub)

What about the other Epik subs, they look good to me, introductory size is the 15", very intriguing!
post #33 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:18 PM

Iggster and Cracky ... This thread is about the Epik subwoofers. It is not about your asinine opinions of the JL Audio Fathom. In fact, it is not about the Fathom, period.

I know this is hard for you 2 to understand, but if you concentrate REALLY hard, perhaps it will sink in.
post #34 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackyflipside View Post

LOL that was a good one. (@ craigsub)

What about the other Epik subs, they look good to me, introductory size is the 15", very intriguing!

I think a Conquest needs to be pitted against the A7-900 and the dual Sealed SDX-15's.

Of course, I will have to see if my girlfriend will allow me to add that to the collection ...
post #35 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Iggster and Cracky ... This thread is about the Epik subwoofers. It is not about your asinine opinions of the JL Audio Fathom. In fact, it is not about the Fathom, period.

I know this is hard for you 2 to understand, but if you concentrate REALLY hard, perhaps it will sink in.

Oh the irony..... (gets flashbacks to the LMS5400 vs JL debates) But you gotta remember, this is an internet forum, a topic longer than one page is bound to go off-topic.

I wish there were some more specs on the 18" driver they are using!!!
post #36 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I was comparing their top of the line sub with mine since the box design is identical but mine is probably louder and probably has the same sq if not better

But this one probably will give others like the jl a run for its money. heh even the new tc sounds sub probably will give the jl a run for its money.

btw I hope to see some reviews of this sub soon maybe even demo one locally for fun.
post #37 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

Well I was comparing their top of the line sub with mine since the box design is identical but mine is probably louder and probably has the same sq if not better

But this one probably will give others like the jl a run for its money. heh even the new tc sounds sub probably will give the jl a run for its money.

btw I hope to see some reviews of this sub soon maybe even demo one locally for fun.

I don't know about identical box design. The guys at JL really know how to make enclosures. That is one thing I will never make fun of them about. I am still impressed at how well those enclosures are built. But I do wish they would venture into the world of 15" and above drivers, same things goes to SVS.
post #38 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:

I forgot the exact number ... what was the SPL you claim to have gotten from your subwoofer ? That is a single driver TC-2000 (15 inch), right ?
post #39 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I forgot the exact number ... what was the SPL you claim to have gotten from your subwoofer ? That is a single driver TC-2000 (15 inch), right ?

126db at 18 hertz in a 1000 cubic foot room.... ( the termlab usb mic)

Heres the fr of my sub

post #40 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know about identical box design. The guys at JL really know how to make enclosures.

I was talking about the epik and my sub, look at page 1.
post #41 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:

126db at 18 hertz in a 1000 cubic foot room.... (mic corrected to read like the termlab usb mic)

Heres the fr of my sub

126 dB @ 18 Hertz ... and at what distance ?

1000 Cubic feet ? The entire ROOM is 1000 cubic feet ? Is that a dorm room ?
post #42 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't seem impossible, if the tuning is right around 18hz I can see him getting those dB's.

1000cuft seems like a bedroom to me. Iggster, you should build a second one also.

I want to see that flagship subwoofer in veneer finish! How many trees would that thing need to dress it?
post #43 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Doesn't seem impossible, if the tuning is right around 18hz I can see him getting those dB's.

1000cuft seems like a bedroom to me. Iggster, you should build a second one also.

With a true 2000 watt amp, and 13 dB of room gain, it is possible.

I am just surprised that all you guys talking about huge subs having 12x10 foot listening areas. My wife's closet is 24x18.
post #44 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With a true 2000 watt amp, and 13 dB of room gain, it is possible.

I am just surprised that all you guys talking about huge subs having 12x10 foot listening areas. My wife's closet is 24x18.

Pshhh, my current listening 'room' is 5' x 10'.... I'd stick twelve 18" subs in here if I could.

It's an addiction.
post #45 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

126 dB at what THD? Kind of useless without knowing the THD.
post #46 of 20458 Old 08-19-2007, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

bingo!

Its in a bedroom I am currently sharing a house with a roomate but I will be moving out come october to a 3 bedroom house and making a dedicated ht room. I had planned on getting a second tc 2000k but not anymore with the new prices. I might get a pair of fi qs and build an identical box to mine for the second or maybe even get 4-15s. but I dunno I might go with the SS rl-s 15's.

Thd beats the hell of out me I just know its one clean sounding sub (running it off an ep2500)

btw I was looking at someones setup over at home theater shack and they had theirs in a 6x10 room I think he had 4-12" tck3000 or at least 2 and the rest were pr's
post #47 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I was talking about the epik and my sub, look at page 1.

LOL....no disrespect there Igg, but I got a $50 bet your TC2k box will hardly keep up an Epik Tower, much less the Conquest

If Chad's preliminary measurements are any indication, the Conquest has more clean ( <10% THD) output while retaining better compression levels, than one of my Avalanche 18" LLT's....and by quite a good amount I might add (at least from 20hz and above, as mine are tuned to 12.4hz).

No worries though, sooner or later they will appear somewhere.
post #48 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

LOL....no disrespect there Igg, but I got a $50 bet your TC2k box will hardly keep up an Epik Tower, much less the Conquest

If Chad's preliminary measurements are any indication, the Conquest has more clean ( <10% THD) output while retaining better compression levels, than one of my Avalanche 18" LLT's....and by quite a good amount I might add (at least from 20hz and above, as mine are tuned to 12.4hz).

No worries though, sooner or later they will appear somewhere.

Sherv ... The Conquest and eD A7-900 would make for a pretty cool mammoth $2000 subwoofer comparison.

The A7 is about 19.5 cubic feet externally, the Conquest about 13.75 feet ...

Dual 18's vs. a single more powerful 18 ... Guess I will have to call Chad this afternoon ...
post #49 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone own one of these Epik subs? Like an early release or "beta" test?
post #50 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Does anyone own one of these Epik subs? Like an early release or "beta" test?

Just the owner of the company, Chad.

Sherv has some output compression graphs but he isn't spilling the beans.
post #51 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hey man...I got my own things to worry about

there are quad 18" avalanche sealed 24"cubes waiting to be put to the burner, with dual Crown K2's, DEQ2496, and Chuck's DIY subsonic phase controller + PEQ.............

a man has only so much time in his hands!
post #52 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the guy who built my box has built thousands of boxes and he has built world record spl cars. Yah its spl but we know what can hurt output and what helps. Their is many things I see on builds here that people skimp on to help output but heh manufacturers do it to, to reduce costs...

Its not really whats outside the box but whats inside.

heres some stats of my box builder and some of his friends that he either help build the ride or he built himself.

heres his

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competito...=1858&Season=0

and some guys his helped out.

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competito...on=2007&Page=1

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competito...10515&Season=0

and I remember him telling me him and team xs spl roger built this world record car a couple of years back.

heh you even see chad standing next to the volkswagen (skinny dude all the way to the right holding a soda)

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competito...on=2007&Page=1
post #53 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now what kind of background does epik have??

Just like many of you have seen with say the jl sub, size doesn't matter.... and the jl uses a sealed enclosure so their really is no tricks to that....
post #54 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Read the first post in this thread.
post #55 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LOL....you are too funny Iggy. "High SPL" boxes? what kind of "background" Epik has?

good one!

Ok..back to the Epik subs.
post #56 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL....you are too funny Iggy. "High SPL" boxes? what kind of "background" Epik has?

good one!

He just doesn't build spl box's.......He has been running a car stereo shop for a very long time.

DBDRAG world spills over to most of the daily car audio stuff. Just like some of the technology that is used on race cars is first tested on them then later on your regular car.

If we go by theory will say this.

I use a 15" subwoofer and the highest end epik uses a 18" and the 18 has roughly two times the cone area as the 15" so about 3db gain on that alone

I use a 2000 watt amplifier that has been tested to do 1950 watts they use a 1000 watt amplifier that will most likely do a tad less. So on power In theory I have a 3 db advantage

And from the outside they both look identical all thats left is whats inside the box.... and do you really think "epik" will spend hours inside the box on something you will never see? It doesn't make business sense for epik to do it anyways.

Now what kind of driver does the conquest use? any specs on it?

You still havent posted what kind of history "epik" has like awards or anything, I posted dozens of awards my friend has won/helped others win.

Respond with more then LOL then I might believe the epik might outperform my sub.....Anyone can come give my sub a demo if they want
post #57 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

sorry igg....you are not worth my time. If you think cone area and wattage alone can increase and decrease your output in dB in a general 3dB scale, you have a lot more learning.

driver size has a lot more to do with how much air it will push, ie, surface area vs Displacement (Xmax)... that Conquest driver has a lot more Cone excursion than your TC2k buddy

Amp size? have you ever designed and built a system before?? ....do you not understand the relationship between a driver's T/S params, volume size of enclosure, driver sensitivity, and power?
here, I'll give you a little help:

here is an Avalanche 18" driver, with "only" 28mm Xmax, driven by a mere "800w" of Crown K2 power:

one of these has this FR, normalized:

one of these had more output than an AV15 DIY sub, and an PB12 Ultra.....combined! How about that?! .............with only 800W. I guess those 3dB here, and 3dB there, just went right out the window, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggster View Post

You still havent posted what kind of history "epik" has like awards or anything, I posted dozens of awards my friend has won/helped others win.

uh huh.....so you expect major reviews and awards from a product line of a company that's not even out, huh? you are a sharp one I tell ya!

oh but let me guess.....your "award winning buddy's enclosure", your 2000W of juice on a 15" driver, has some special powers, eh?

you should ask the likes of WillD if your enclosure will be able to even keep up with his Sonotube TC2k LLT driven by a Lot less power..... maybe then he can also educate you for a minute or two.
post #58 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry igg....you are not worth my time. If you think cone area and wattage alone can increase and decrease your output in dB in a general 3dB scale, you have a lot more learning.

Reading comprehension>you

I said in theory, Ive built more boxes right now then you ever will in your lifetime, and I can bet chad has built more then everyone you know combined...

So you think big and ugly=loud

right....

You build what 4 towers and think you know more then me and chad? com'on man get off the clouds... seriously you couldn't even get something as simple as carpeting right LOL

Can you call any manufacturer and get a free ride? I know we sure can and have.. thats how well known we are.. Well me I can only do it with some manufactures LOL chad pretty much anyone...
post #59 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

added to ignore list for retardation.

back to topic. Looks like the prototypes are looking very nice:

if I remember correctly, Chad said the shipping products would have a black top instead.
post #60 of 20458 Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The finish doesn't seem to look as nice as the SVS subs.

Is that true, or is it a bad pic?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page