post #6271 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

That depends on what your needs and wants are, for example more output with one tune (less extension) and better bass extension with (less output) from another tune. Personally, I want something that will offer great output and low bass extension with one tune. That is exactly what Epik gives you. When Chad says his subwoofers are "plug and play" he means just that. Nothing fancy, just plain old clean loud output capabilities, great bass extension and excellent build quality! For me, thats all I ask for.

That's another reason why I went with Epik. Plug and play. No fancy stuff here. It's nice to have all the different tuning abilities but when I saw the back of the Ultra, I got an instant headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

That's another reason why I went with Epik. Plug and play. No fancy stuff here. It's nice to have all the different tuning abilities but when I saw the back of the Ultra, I got an instant headache.

Yes the Ultra has many adjustments for a large amount of tuning but you dont have to use any except the gain . You can have everything off and then its basic adjustments are like the Epic and user friendly . I just like having the options there if and when I might want to use them. The Epic is a great sub though so you can go wrong either way .

My current HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6273 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 05:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested View Post

hey jakeman
i'm in the same predicament too. The Sentinel is one sub i'm eyeballing despite the cost around 880 which includes shipping. Tried searching this thread and everyone has the big subs and not the starter models. This will go on my card probably. I know my living room space is on the small side but it opens up to a big kitchen in behind with a slider. i'd say my room is 14 x 12 or so. The Sentinel which is over 500 watts i'm guessing would be overkill but heck why not. With my manufactured home and the sub together it'll be like an earthquake inside. lol.
Someone will be brave to order the Sentinel sooner or later. Who will it be? hmmm. unless someone has it and hasn't said anything yet

I already have the Sentinel and waiting for me at my sister's place in California. It arrived last week but I won't get the chance to see it for another 3 weeks since I am out of the country.

I guess I am the first brave soul to order it but sorry I can't comment nor write a review at this time.

3 packages waiting for me.

1. Sentinel
2. Graco Pack N Play
3. SMS-1

post #6274 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

jakeman02, you know I'm an SVS guy. That said, I think the Sentinel is a shot across the bows of the PB12+, not the NSD. It won't have variable tuning and it's a much smaller box with similar power so I think the Plus should have more overall output, but that driver/motor allows for more output at 20hz than the Epik Knight. So from that perspective, the price is a bargain, but until someone does a side by side comparison, we're all just guessing.

Ron is correct. Please do not compare the Sentinel to the NSD.
post #6275 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancehizon View Post

3 packages waiting for me.

1. Sentinel
2. Graco Pack N Play
3. SMS-1

One of these things is not like the others!
post #6276 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 PM

So if the Sentinel could be the equivalent to the PB12-plus, what is the Epik equivalent to the SVS PB13 Ultra. The Epiks look awesome. Kinda wish I would've checked them out more before getting my PC12-plus. The look like a lot of bang for the buck and great performers as well. But I'm fairly happy with the Plus.
post #6277 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

One of these things is not like the others!

Hahaha! If you invert the playplen, it can be a high subwoofer isolator.
post #6278 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleATheater View Post

So if the Sentinel could be the equivalent to the PB12-plus, what is the Epik equivalent to the SVS PB13 Ultra. The Epiks look awesome. Kinda wish I would've checked them out more before getting my PC12-plus. The look like a lot of bang for the buck and great performers as well. But I'm fairly happy with the Plus.

Chad of Epik says that the SVS 12.4 driver is comparable to the 12" Epik driver. Therefore, the 12" on the Sentinel is very capable. Due to the large motor structure and amplifier power, it has more output in the 16hz-25hz compared to the NSD. But comparing it to the PB12+, I guess the plus has more depth due to the cabinet size and variable tuning.
post #6279 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Must be torture to not see your toys for a few weeks and play with them. I'd have a hard time sleeping at night and not think about the packages waiting for me. Hope to hear about your sub when you get it hooked up.

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio S310 fronts, JBL Studio S26II's mid and S36's rear.
Epik Sentinel subwoofer
Slim PS3
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500
post #6280 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested View Post

Must be torture to not see your toys for a few weeks and play with them. I'd have a hard time sleeping at night and not think about the packages waiting for me. Hope to hear about your sub when you get it hooked up.

Yup, just like a beautiful naked woman on my bed while I am thousand of miles away from home.
post #6281 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousmatty View Post

I put the gain knob at 11 o clock. The Aperion 6ts didnt work out. My speaker quest continues. Looks like I cant relax and enjoy just yet.

Matty, go listen to some psb's. I love my Synchs. The Imagine series has gotten spendid reviews as well (I haven't heard them tho). In that price range I would check out MA as well.

My Phoenix should arrive tommorow!!! I will takes lots of pics and post my impressions soon. My new addition will join my team of superstars (Integra DTR 9.9 and PSB Synch One's). Only thing that's missin' is surrounds and blu-ray!
post #6282 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowered View Post

Matty, go listen to some psb's. I love my Synchs. The Imagine series has gotten spendid reviews as well (I haven't heard them tho). In that price range I would check out MA as well.

My Phoenix should arrive tommorow!!! I will takes lots of pics and post my impressions soon. My new addition will join my team of superstars (Integra DTR 9.9 and PSB Synch One's). Only thing that's missin' is surrounds and blu-ray!

How long did it take from order to door?
post #6283 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Step your game up and order one.

Waiting on refund check, just trying to decide what to do with it in the mean time.
post #6284 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

How long did it take from order to door?

For reference, I ordered a Dynasty on April 3rd and Fedex is delivering it this Monday, the 20th.
post #6285 of 20385 Old 04-16-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6286 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

Is Epik dropping the Conquest? I noticed a few weeks ago that they went from having 2 in stock to only 1. Today the website states they are out of stock, and it won't let you place an order for one.

Interesting question Either they're truly just running out of parts, or Chad has something in the works to scare us all.
post #6287 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpntrips View Post

For reference, I ordered a Dynasty on April 3rd and Fedex is delivering it this Monday, the 20th.

I've been with out a sub for a week and it is killing me.
post #6288 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

Interesting question Either they're truly just running out of parts, or Chad has something in the works to scare us all.

The Conquest remained available even when all the other subs were out of stock and un-orderable. Now that the Conquest is unorderable, it makes a lot of sense that they'd be replacing the Conquest with a new model just like they did with the rest of the line-up. Perhaps the reason they've waited to phase out the Conquest is that they wanted to sell their existing inventory knowing that the new top-of-the line sub would make it less desirable and they didn't want to have to discount the old Conquests.

I don't want FOP, *********! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
post #6289 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

post #6290 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Makes sense. I have also noticed over the past couple of years that not too many people buy the Conquest for one reason or another. Maybe it just isn't a money maker for Epik. Even today it seems that people are buying up the Phoenix faster than the Dynasty. Maybe size is the problem? I hope they either continue making the Conquest or they replace it with another beast. It is always fun to see pictures and read people's experiences when they get one of them.

The biggest, best, and most expensive product is NEVER the best selling among any brand that I can personally think of. This applies of course to high dollar items. There's a reason that the Camry and Accord are best sellers. Their most expensive models are not the best sellers. It's the 4 cylinder versions which are accessible financially to most. Companies design that high dollar biggest best product for those willing to pay for it and make compromises.

They will of course replace it with something (someday anyway!) and it will likely be bigger, better, and even more expensive. You have to have a carrot to dangle even in front of Conquest owners! Repeat customers are the easiest to market to.
post #6291 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #6292 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

They will of course replace it with something (someday anyway!) and it will likely be bigger, better, and even more expensive.

I don't know if it'll be bigger. The common thrust in the new models over the previous line seems to be one of trying to get similar performance out of smaller enclosures.

Quote:

Who knows, we are all just speculating at this point.

Which is the fun part! Personally, I would like to see what two of the new 18" drivers could do in a single box.
post #6293 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #6294 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

Which is the fun part! Personally, I would like to see what two of the new 18" drivers could do in a single box.

If it is, I hope it doesn't look and weight like the ED one. Man...did you see that thing!

A7-900:
Shipping Weight 435 lbs
Internal Size 10.00ft³
External Size 19.54ft³
Width 26.00"
Height 26.50"
Depth 49.0"

It's insane. How can someone use this in there homes? Maybe a disco or club.

EDIT: My Dragon was shipped 12pm today. I order it on 4-9. Not bad at all! Is there a different wait time on different subs?
post #6295 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 05:33 PM
ujb

I am looking for some advise and hoping some of you can help,

I am tossed up between the Epik Sentinel and the ED A5-350. I realize these are both new offerings, but can anyone give any input on how the 2 might compare?'

My room is about 2500 cu ft and is sealed.

they are about the same price.I know the Epik is a 12" and the ED is a 15". Also, the Epik has a 600 watt amp and the ED has a 500 watt amp.

I like the Epik for it's size, but Iwould buy the ED if it is a better sub

I don't listen at reference levels very often and watch move movies than music, but music is still important.

Any input/suggestions would be appreciated. I was waiting on the new MFW amps but am tired of waiting. Would either of these be comparable to the MFW?

thanks

Scott
post #6296 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Liked: 11
I know the Phoenix is king in this forum, but someone quoted that the Phoenix has about 4 db more output then the Dragon, does that mean only in the 20hz and below region or also in the upper bass. I would assume they are the same in the the mid-bass slam department. Any inputs.
post #6297 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

warlord260:

I agree with you. That one actually made my ED list and it ranks #9 on Craigsubs list. I'm surprised this one made the Craigsubs' list but not the A7-450 or even the A7S-450 which has the same dimensions as the Phoenix.

Craig quit doing his testing before the A7-450 and A7S-450 were released.
post #6298 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvin View Post

I know the Phoenix is king in this forum, but someone quoted that the Phoenix has about 4 db more output then the Dragon, does that mean only in the 20hz and below region or also in the upper bass. I would assume they are the same in the the mid-bass slam department. Any inputs.

Under 35-40hz only. Above that should be the same.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #6299 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousmatty View Post

Got it all setup. Calibrated. So I threw in The Hulk. Ill start off by saying that the Dragon was no slouch. It just didnt give me that deadly bass at 20hz and down that I was fiending for. The Phoenix, however, does. While watching the hulk my dad came over and said "The siding is rattling outside" I said back to him "Victory" I lost no articulation by going ported over the sealed sub that I thought I would. Actually it sounds MUCH tighter and doesnt annoyingly rattle my vents. Its just a hit you in the chest bass and you can feel ever bump in the road. Its pretty similar to the dragon until its asked to do low bass. The Dark knight hospital scene would give up slightly with the dragon and not sound clean. The phoenix puts out a freakish low end and shows no sign of giving up. You should all know that I listen at -5dbs from REFERENCE level. Yes I know ill be deaf soon. Ill just throw in that Audyssey is an amazing feature and if you dont have a receiver that is capable of this I suggest you get one. Ill be getting my 60 inch Pioneer Kuro on Monday and in combination with this sub I can die a happy man (hopefully in at least 60 years )

Get a chance to demo the conquest and consider your mind blown
On a scale of 1-10 I would rate the Dragon as a 8.5 and the Phoenix as a 9.6

Get a chance to demo the conquest and consider your mind blown
post #6300 of 20385 Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvckmiller View Post

Hey matty,

have you heard any other subs commonly talked about on these forums? How does it compare to the Castle or PB13 ultra? This sub is quickly climbing my list!

Ive heard a pb-13 once and very quickly so I cant fairly compare. Ive heard a bunch of stuff in show rooms that high end speaker companies carry and the phoenix eats them for lunch.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page