9Likes

post #631 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Please don't poke fun of my religion. We anti-bloggers are very sensitive.

To be honest, I prefer a website with nicely organized specs, pics, etc. My logical mind just works better that way -- what can I tell ya?

it would actually be better if there is an option in boards where the starter can, after thorough consideration, pick the best reply. that way other forum members with the same concern can read the best possible answer right away. it will also allow others to take note of replies and avoid giving out similar opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 05:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

I was responding to the text in front of me. What you wrote elsewhere was utterly out of the scope of my comment.

As for the no driver pictures, others have told you why it's a stupid complaint. The only thing I have to add is that TC released some drivers that looked a lot like yours and were very expensive at the time (4HP motor) but were truly, spectacularly, unbeatably awful. Pretty, but it's not getting anywhere near my system.

Also, let's be honest. In a $1600 giant 18" sub with a well conceived cabinet it's kind of foolish to expect Peerless XLS levels of fit and finish. After all, one's buying a complete unit, not a raw driver.

I don't want to buy a Conquest. I just put an appallingly similar sum of money in an broken Avalanche 18 (bought knowing it was broken, with a commensurate discount), fresh recone for same, a Crown XTi2000, and a bespoke sealed cabinet from eD. (The sub in my nearfield system, FWIW, uses a JBL W15GTi in a bespoke cabinet.) In fact, except for one exception (a Tannoy B475, which had an 18" woofer in an industrial-looking 160L vented cabinet) I've not owned an off-the-peg subwoofer in fifteen-odd years. Which is precisely my point.

At prices like these, assuming one is just going to do a stupid bloody rectangular box anyway, DIY loses an awful lot of its lustre. At least for people like me, who DIY'ed subs primarily for two reasons:
1) Adequate performance was simply not available in the commercial sub market.
2) An off-the-rack sub isn't going to fit into my living room (or bedroom/office) aesthetic.

And yes, time is valuable. And even if you don't count time, you have to count things like wear and tear on tools, etc., as part of the cost of a DIY sub. (Unless you do the paint-by-numbers game that I prefer to play, where you do the design based on a woofer you've bought and measured and outsource the cabinetry; screwdrivers rarely break.) All things considered, this whole line looks like an outstanding value proposition. Unless, of course, a big rectangular sub will never find its way into your home. Then DIY or bespoke is still a better (and generally costlier) option.

Winston, any possibiliy of seeing the bespoke subwoofer you commissioned eD to construct on your behalf ?

Note: I read all your posts utilizing a Winston Churchill accent. It makes bespoke sound good.
post #633 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

Thanks for the nice insult and probably warranted by what I said but, it still stands that some of use want other options also if Ed can build drivers I'm sure they can find somone to do veneers (even thought its a real pain). I never said it wasn't a good thing that they are, more competion is always good. As for the performance well I will hold jugement until good third party data is available.

Regardless I'm very inerested to see Epiks design choices.

There was no insult in his post. I have no idea where you perceived any slight from the poster.

As far as a choice of veneer, I am ok with the look vs. performance. I think many others will be ok with it also. If you need veneer, there are others like SVS and HSU offering veneer options. Now if you are put out that you have to sacrifice price-performance for the sake of a veneer, well that is the individuals problem. You seem to want it all for $600. Beggars can't be choosers and I for one am ok with the look of the sub. All A/V components are black when the lights go out and I have never heard of one veneer sounding better than another.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #634 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
there's no doubt that ED's designs are not exactly living room friendly however I believe it's unreasonable to expect every sub manufacturer to offer exactly what you want just because you want it

lots of their competitors do veneers, and not too long ago finding affordable quality subs the likes of which we see today was next to impossible
post #635 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 12:00 PM

Well spoken. Pioneering companies like Hsu, SVS, and now eD and Epik are turning this part of the industry on its head. The big guys (velo, jl, etc.) have to work a lot harder to compete. eD and now Epik are bringing us performance that was previously unheard of just about any price, so we should all be thankful.

-Dennis
post #636 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

what I really like about ED is that they offer a certain level of custom work for both home and auto
post #637 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

what i like about epik is someone asks for a product and like a week later chad is shipping them (referring to the valor)
Haha, i think that was mostly coincidental but it still was cool. It will be even cooler when chad releases a single sub that bests the f113(supposing it does happen).
post #638 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Guys, after some circumstances here changed last week I went ahead with a Conquest order and it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow! I may not be able to get the help needed to take it upstairs to my media room and test it until Monday, especially since my in-laws are visiting now, but I will provide pics and listening tests as soon as possible. I'll be running it in a 2500c.f. sealed room treated with bass traps and panels, calibrated with Avia and RS meter. I am greatly looking forward to seeing what marvel Chad hath wrought

Cheers,
Ross
post #639 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Most excellent Ross! That sub in your size listening area should be really fun.
post #640 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Ross, what other subs have you had in that room?
post #641 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd View Post

Most excellent Ross! That sub in your size listening area should be really fun.

That is my hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

Ross, what other subs have you had in that room?

Single and dual HSU VTF-3 mk3, single and dual SVS PB13-Ultra (all still currently on hand).

Now I understand AGS may not be delivering until Monday which is the original timeline I was expecting, so hopefully by late next week I will have pics and initial listening impressions posted using a variety of movie DVD and music CD source material...
post #642 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM

I decided to join the party and order a Conquest- it shipped out today via freight. It will probably take a few days to get out to the West Coast, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait. It will replace an SVS PC-Ultra, which replaced a Velodyne HGS-10.

My room is 18'-6" x 15'-6" x 9'H, but it is completely open on one of the 18'-6" sides to the kitchen, hallway, and basically the rest of the first floor of my house. The PC-Ultra was awe inspiring in my old house where it was in a closed small room (15' x 11' x 8' h)- but only "adequate" in the family room setup. And we all know that "adequate" when it comes to bass doesn't keep one satisfied very long. I'll be sure to post a bunch of pictures and listening impressions after I get it set up, which probably won't be until next weekend.

I knew nothing of Epik up until a couple of weeks ago, but after discovering the website and speaking with Chad on the phone a couple of times made me very comfortable trying out his product sight unseen.

More to follow as soon as it arrives...

-Dennis
post #643 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone buys a conquest in the seattle area, let me know, I'd love to audition . I can bring people over and we can have some TRULY amazing impressions.
post #644 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post

Guys, after some circumstances here changed last week I went ahead with a Conquest order and it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow! I may not be able to get the help needed to take it upstairs to my media room and test it until Monday, especially since my in-laws are visiting now, but I will provide pics and listening tests as soon as possible. I'll be running it in a 2500c.f. sealed room treated with bass traps and panels, calibrated with Avia and RS meter. I am greatly looking forward to seeing what marvel Chad hath wrought

Cheers,
Ross

That's awesome. As you know, I too have been in search of the perfect subwoofer. I know you have had many subs as I have. I have had many SVS subs in my house and the new PC Ultra for SVS is one of them. I now have the eD A5-350. I am sure that I am going to bit the bullet on shipping costs and send it back even though it is a great sub. I can't wait to hear your impressions of the Conquest. I am off tomorrow, I get to go pick up my Rocket RS-850's tomorrow!

I'm your Huckleberry
post #645 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 06:23 PM

All I can say is I'm glad my setup is on the first floor.
post #646 of 20451 Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPagoulatos View Post

All I can say is I'm glad my setup is on the first floor.

Me too.. Yesterday my arms and legs were sore just getting this thing in my house. I can't imagine having to get it upstairs. That would be a real pain. Although entirely possible. I think i spent most of my energy unscrewing the screws from the crate because my powered screwdriver is somewhere not to be found.. That and pulling the sub from tne porch into the house with it sitting on a cardboard box.. There was not enough clearance in the area where I de-crated it to get it on to the hand truck, plus i had no one to push the thing from the opposite side to get it off the ground.. I probably could have done it but i fought it for a few minutes and realized it would be easier to pull the cardboard box it was already sitting on.. I had no idea that i would be sore the next day but i was.. Still kinda am.
post #647 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Kuypers View Post

We are also considering an option for it that will make some people jump for joy if they already have their own high power amplifier laying around...

Ooh!

I just glanced at my QSC, smiled, and did a little hop.

post #648 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post

That is my hope!

Single and dual HSU VTF-3 mk3, single and dual SVS PB13-Ultra (all still currently on hand).

Now I understand AGS may not be delivering until Monday which is the original timeline I was expecting, so hopefully by late next week I will have pics and initial listening impressions posted using a variety of movie DVD and music CD source material...

I'm seeing a trend in your sub purchases. Clearly Ross and Wendy can't share . I envision a second sub soon.

Seriously, though if you have some feedback on the difference in your subs I would highly appreciate it. You have the subs I'm considering and have had them in single comparison. And you are getting the next up and comer. Glad to see people sicker than me here.

This bloody Redcoat said I was a terrorist.

Somewhere along the way I become an Elitist who looks down on the
cheap bastards who call themselves my AV Hobbyist peers.
I am not prepared.
post #649 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Chad,

Will you be putting frequency response charts on your product pages in the near future? From the product pages/specifications and most of the documentation is null of how deep or loud any of your products go. I looked through the entire blog and really only found stats for the Conquest and Valor. I am really impressed with the build quality of the cabinets and am strongly leaning towoard an Epik purchase in the future over my previous preferences being SVS or eD. The products I am specifically interested in are the Castle and Tower as well as the Knight (well lets just say all of them are intreaging).

Thanks,

Micah
post #650 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Alright i just watched the scene in finding nemo with the submarine falling down (about 30 minute into the movie) with my reciever at -10. I've never heard bass that loud in my life. I was just laughing at the end of the scene because it probably scared the $h*t out of my neighbors.. it actually scared me.. I wasnt sure if i was damaging the building so i've turned it down.. I should go to work soon but this is too fun. I then played the scene again with it not quite as loud and took the speaker grill off to watch the sub move.. They weren't lying when they said extreme excursion.

[edit]

just played the darla scene at -12.. i better stop, someone is going to call the cops. that was insane.

[/edit]
post #651 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 12:48 PM

Try War of the Worlds- come on, you know you want to.
post #652 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try War of the Worlds...

I permanently keep this one on the DVR just to show people the bass.
post #653 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you can't or won't do the pod emergence at reference you're not allowed in the bass addict club . I get 116dbs at 3.5 meters...I bet you do better.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #654 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

i moved my sub facing forward and moved my left tower speaker to the outside of the sub.. i had to flip the sub upside down to keep it from affecting my screen (the driver is in the top of the box if facing upright so its further away when placed upside down). Not sure yet, but it doesnt seem quite as loud from the listening position, but i can now put my center channel on top of my subwoofer if i want to.. Currently its sitting out in my storage room all boxed up and waiting to be hooked up. Same with my surround speakers.
I'll probably try War of the worlds this weekend. I don't have the movie though so i'll either have to rent it or borrow from someone who has it (i dont think i want to pay for it).. not sure who has it that i know though. I may go buy a radioshack spl meter just to see if i can max it out. Given the awkwardness of my room that may not happen without finding a real good placement.. The direction I had it facing before may have done the trick.
One bad thing about moving it around is that sliding it on the carpet gave it light scratches.. I wonder if these can be buffed out later in my new house when i get it a permanent location.
post #655 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolfe38 View Post

i had to flip the sub upside down to keep it from affecting my screen

Yikes. Shouldn't the speaker have some type of shielding to prevent that from happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolfe38 View Post

One bad thing about moving it around is that sliding it on the carpet gave it light scratches.

Double-yikes. It got scratched from sliding it on CARPET? That doesn't seem right.
post #656 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 02:05 PM

If you slide Piano Gloss around on carpet- you can see hairline scratches. I would think the matte finish is more forgiving- but who knows. It's also possible the finish hasn't even completely hardened yet- it seems like they are shipping them out as fast as they can make them.
post #657 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Yikes. Shouldn't the speaker have some type of shielding to prevent that from happening?

I'm not surprised by this, but maybe the experts can weigh in...I think it would be very difficult to magnetically shield a driver like that (in any of these new huge driver subs).

-Dennis
post #658 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 02:20 PM

Liked: 30
Does the Valor have variable phase control ?
post #659 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. If you could name even a couple high output subs that have this shielding you speak of, I'd be impressed. Most don't notice any issues because they aren't using CRTs (or if they are, the sub isn't place closed enough to cause a problem).
post #660 of 20451 Old 10-05-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you slide Piano Gloss around on carpet- you can see hairline scratches.

Oh, I didn't realize this was a Piano Gloss finish.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page