post #6841 of 20454 Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkeven View Post

Thanks for the compliments, I worked really hard on it and I am very happy with the way the theater turned out, and the best part was the wife couldn't believe how well it turned out too.. As for a second Phoenix sub, I almost bought two and was going to put the SVS in the back between the seats and have three subs, but I don't think my wife would understand, with the svs, she is worried it will crack the foundation. If what you all are saying is true, with the Phoenix I'm sure she will be very very worried haha... but that is what home theater is all about!!!

I really do love my SVS sub and in piano black it is such a good looking sub, I don't think I would be able to part with it. But never say never.

I'll let you know how it all works out.

Thanks again guys

X2 I LOVE SVS so much I dont know if I could own anything else, My pb13 is the best upgrade to date with my HT. Im also considering the SBS/SCS-01 5.0 Channel in the bookshelf speakers for my bedroom mini HT especialy after hearing how happy you are with yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 20454 Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

It's hard for me to know if the blocks are altering the tuning. It's difficult to tell what effect the carpet has on the tuning. If there was an effect, it might be just a couple of hz. Still, I would try finding something hard to sit the sub on just to see if it affects things one way or another. A piece of slate or a sturdy 2'x2' board would do the trick. It could even be worth an extra db or two around the tuning point by eliminating some low frequency absorption by the carpet.

Maybe I will give that a try, thanks. Of course whatever I put under it will have to pass the WAF She hates when I start again with this stuff

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #6843 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 AM

Liked: 10
Factor, I tell ya what, my room is 2300 cubic feet sealed up tight. I never run my receiver any higher than -10 since that is about the sweet spot, not to loud and not to soft and it fills the room with awesome sound, the sub pressurizes the room. I had a guy come over with his family and he was say how he paid $10,000.00 for his speakers. Well before he came down to listen to the system his younger son about 10 and his wife were down there with my son watching a movie. The son told the mom when the movie was over, "this sounds better than our movie theater" and the mom said, "don't tell your father that" I just smiled and said nothing, then the Dad came in for a demo and was in disbelief.

Now I know my speakers can't spank a $10,000.00 set of speakers but for the price I paid, and the astonished look on peoples faces is priceless...

Not that I'm trying to sway you into buying the speakers, just my 2 cents, in my little movie theater.
post #6844 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 AM

Fab, I was looking at the new SVS towers too, but I can't justify getting them because I really do love my system, just wanted a little more air moving with the subs, but with the Phoenix added I think it will be just awesome. I go down and watch movies all the time and just sit there in heaven, I play my xbox360 on a 110inch screen in full 7.1 and soon 7.2 surround, and there is no other way to play games, Call of duty games are so awesome, they are demo material themselves.

I have heard nothing but good things about the new SVS towers, and if they would have been out when I was building my theater I would have gone with them too. The axiom speakers were on my list at first, but for my size room the sbs-01's as surrounds fit the bill and then some.

whatever you get I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
post #6845 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Fab, I was looking at the new SVS towers too, but I can't justify getting them because I really do love my system, just wanted a little more air moving with the subs, but with the Phoenix added I think it will be just awesome. I go down and watch movies all the time and just sit there in heaven, I play my xbox360 on a 110inch screen in full 7.1 and soon 7.2 surround, and there is no other way to play games, Call of duty games are so awesome, they are demo material themselves.

I have heard nothing but good things about the new SVS towers, and if they would have been out when I was building my theater I would have gone with them too. The axiom speakers were on my list at first, but for my size room the sbs-01's as surrounds fit the bill and then some.

Just to clarify, does your receiver have two LFE outputs or just one? If it has just one then you can never achieve 7.2 even if you have more than one sub.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #6846 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Just to clarify, does your receiver have two LFE outputs or just one? If it has just one then you can never achieve 7.2 even if you have more than one sub.

Well it only has one, but with the AS-EQ1 sub EQ thrown in the mix, I think it might be close it will have two LFE outputs.
post #6847 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:

When you demo these guys at a buddy's house, with a nice sub I might add,
and he says-griningly.. "I'm done." Isn't that what we are all after.. and for <$600 for a 5.0 rig.. I'll say again -I was impressed.. I think speaker SQ has a lot to do with the room and think you "could" spank a much costlier set because you did things right in set-up. I hesitate to call this speaker small or even economical to label them as such, because they kickbutt in your size sealed room, -that I can vouch for IMHO. -the only way I'll be dissapointed is if his still sounds better, and knowing what he paid vs what I paid

fab5valentine

-fab5

Bass, an obsession or addiction?
post #6848 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab5valentine View Post

When you demo these guys at a buddy's house, with a nice sub I might add,
and he says-griningly.. "I'm done." Isn't that what we are all after.. and for <$600 for a 5.0 rig.. I'll say again -I was impressed.. I think speaker SQ has a lot to do with the room and think you "could" spank a much costlier set because you did things right in set-up. I hesitate to call this speaker small or even economical to label them as such, because they kickbutt in your size sealed room, -that I can vouch for IMHO. -the only way I'll be dissapointed is if his still sounds better, and knowing what he paid vs what I paid

fab5valentine

I agree totally. These next 10 days or so are going to kill me, I can't wait that long... And I don't want to watch the new Underworld until I get the setup tweaked out, good thing that movie comes out on the 12th.
post #6849 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Wrong! I have four subs with one LFE output on my reciever. Just use "Y" splitters anywhere on the LFE cable to the subs. To EQ them all, I use the Anti Mode 8033 and it looks at all the subs as one and does the complete EQ for all.

Bill
post #6850 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 AM

The AS-EQ1 will auto EQ each (up to 2) too.. Cool..!!!

-fab5

Bass, an obsession or addiction?
post #6851 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Wrong! I have four subs with one LFE output on my reciever. Just use "Y" splitters anywhere on the LFE cable to the subs. To EQ them all, I use the Anti Mode 8033 and it looks at all the subs as one and does the complete EQ for all.

Bill

I also use four subwoofers from a single subwoofer output on my processor. It is still a 7.1 sound system.

Even with two subwoofer outputs is there any discrete .2 material recorded?

John
post #6852 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

I also use four subwoofers from a single subwoofer output on my processor. It is still a 7.1 sound system.

Even with two subwoofer outputs is there any discrete .2 material recorded?

John

Agreed. And I haven't run into anything with two discrete LFE channels either. It's all ".1" right now.
post #6853 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Re: The Phoenix, I'd very much recommend sitting the sub on a large tile or slab. This sub has an unusual design where the downward ports (boundary-loaded ports) and the surface beneath the sub have a deliberate synergy. If that relationship between the ports and the boundary are changed, the tuning is also changed. This is the key to stuffing such a large driver in a relatively small box and yet being able to tune the sub relatively low. In my opinion, for the sub to play exactly as designed, it should sit on a hard surface without altering the intended distance from that surface.

Ok, I got me a piece of granite that fits perfectly under my Phoenix that is now laying on top of the carpeting. I re-ran my Anti-Mode 8033 EQ. I will watch a movie and play some music to see if I can tell any difference.
I checked the frequency response with my SPL meter and sinewaves and I still have a very good flat response.
BTW, still port noise with that 16hz bass pedal song

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #6854 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Ok, I got me a piece of granite that fits perfectly under my Phoenix that is now laying on top of the carpeting. I re-ran my Anti-Mode 8033 EQ. I will watch a movie and play some music to see if I can tell any difference.
I checked the frequency response with my SPL meter and sinewaves and I still have a very good flat response.
BTW, still port noise with that 16hz bass pedal song

This doesn't sound good, I just purchased a Phoenix and your having an issue with yours??
post #6855 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Agreed. And I haven't run into anything with two discrete LFE channels either. It's all ".1" right now.

Isn't the .1 omni directional anyway? Can't really have a .2 when the frequency range is everywhere?
post #6856 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab5valentine View Post

The AS-EQ1 will auto EQ each (up to 2) too.. Cool..!!!

Actually SVS said you can hook up to four subs, two per each port. Eventually I might, if the Phoenix is all that, buy another Phoenix for up front, combine the two into one port and put the Plus/2 on the other port and EQ them that way. That would probably cause some foundation damage tho.... hmmmm.... sounds fun tho.
post #6857 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Never heard of the AS-EQ1 and the Anti mode 8808 before til today and saw them in the posts before here. How good are these and where would i buy them at and what price? i only have one sub but would either of these make a difference?
another note Gov used a slab under his sub. with mine would it make a difference putting something under it instead of it being directly on the carpet?

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio S310 fronts, JBL Studio S26II's mid and S36's rear.
Epik Sentinel subwoofer
Slim PS3
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500
post #6858 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bill

You are still running 7.1 because the same signal is being sent to all four subs. 7.2 means that different signals are sent to the left and right subs.

post #6859 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested View Post

Never heard of the AS-EQ1 and the Anti mode 8808 before til today and saw them in the posts before here. How good are these and where would i buy them at and what price? i only have one sub but would either of these make a difference?
another note Gov used a slab under his sub. with mine would it make a difference putting something under it instead of it being directly on the carpet?

Lots of different questions in there!

The AS-EQ1 is brand new, but initial impressions have been favorable and SVS and Audyssey have the track record to suggest it will probably be the best sub-eq solution currently available. How much it would help you depends entirely on how bad (or good) your current room response is. You can read about some real-world results here. I don't know much about the Anti-Mode, but there is a thread in here somewhere that should help you out.

As far as putting your sub up on something, it kinda depends on what your flooring material is. If you're down in the basement on the concrete slab, there's not much point as far as I know in investing in a decoupling mechanism like the SubDude. But if you're dealing with wood floors under your carpet, it might well be worth checking out.
post #6860 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You are still running 7.1 because the same signal is being sent to all four subs. 7.2 means that different signals are sent to the left and right subs.

Yes, 7.1 is the number of discrete channels not the number of speakers.

John
post #6861 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

True and how would they come up with a 7.2 unless the LFE was split for 50 hz down or 50 hz up?

bILL
post #6862 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This doesn't sound good, I just purchased a Phoenix and your having an issue with yours??

I would not call this an issue at this point. That song is extremely demanding on one single subwoofer, and from what I have read, it causes port noise on a lot of the best subs out there.

Again, I have NOT experienced any audible port noise when watching movies or other music. And I sometimes listen very loud

post #6863 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:

I would not call this an issue at this point. That song is extremely demanding on one single subwoofer, and from what I have read, it causes port noise on a lot of the best subs out there.

Again, I have NOT experienced any audible port noise when watching movies or other music. And I sometimes listen very loud

Ok good!!!! I can't wait to hear.... er feel it!!!
post #6864 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 03:03 PM

Liked: 12
my sub will be on carpet which has a wood flooring underneath.

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio S310 fronts, JBL Studio S26II's mid and S36's rear.
Epik Sentinel subwoofer
Slim PS3
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500
post #6865 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Are you sure what you heard is not actually part of what a pipe organ sounds like? I seem to recall someone mentioning something like that a while ago on another thread and eventually came to the conclusion that the odd sound they were hearing was actually a subtly of the pipe organ.
post #6866 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Are you sure what you heard is not actually part of what a pipe organ sounds like? I seem to recall someone mentioning something like that a while ago on another thread and eventually came to the conclusion that the odd sound they were hearing was actually a subtly of the pipe organ.

Seal it and try again. If it's gone "Viola".

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #6867 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I dont think its part of the music because when I turn it down it goes away. Maybe its some vibration in my room? A lot of crazy stuff happens in a room with a strong 16hz bass pedal tone I guess. I am 99% sure its port noise though.
By the way, my wife loves the piece of granite I got it matches the carpet

post #6868 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Seal it and try again. If it's gone "Viola".

Yes, Ron you are correct that will tell for sure. Is there an easy way to do that with taking turning that monster over, plugging the ports, and then repositioning it? LOL

post #6869 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:

No, I dont think its part of the music because when I turn it down it goes away. Maybe its some vibration in my room? A lot of crazy stuff happens in a room with a strong 16hz bass pedal tone I guess. I am 99% sure its port noise though.
By the way, my wife loves the piece of granite I got it matches the carpet

I just played "The Vikings" from Pomp & Pipes and was getting 91-92 dB uncorrected at my listening position 12 feet away. I was getting 85dB uncorrected in a room on the other side of the house. No port noise at all. Listening room opens to the rest of the house.
post #6870 of 20454 Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True and how would they come up with a 7.2 unless the LFE was split for 50 hz down or 50 hz up?

bILL

They would actually have to split the LFE into left and right channels. So if an explosion or gunshot happened on the right side of the screen then it would only play on the right sub.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page