post #7081 of 20380 Old 05-14-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Dont forget the bass that hits your chest and the rolling bass that rolls into your couch and seat of the pants No wonder my GF likes the bass

She's just dating you for your system?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 20380 Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON IN II View Post

My Conquest powercord is the same way and I have tried a Monster Powerline400 and a Verrastarr Silver Reference with Furatech connectors and it was still very loose. I would have to say that is my only complaint about my Conquest and I have had it since 8/08. I have heard about people wrapping a bunch of electrical tape around the plug to make it fatter so it fits tighter into the plug but haven't felt comfortable enough to try it.
I got my Pop to get a Dynasty for his house/room, which is pretty open like mine, and his cord is the same also.

I have it with my Energy Veritas 2.3, 2.0 and PSB S50 surrounds and a Pioneer SC07. I twisted the sub 90degrees the other day so it is firing into our couch and a corner, moved some speakers a bit and changed speakers wires. I had to rerun MCACC and I had to turn the Conquest down to 10 o'clock and it set the sw level at -10. The Hulk will still rattle my neighbors awning when I have it turned up to -15 but I feel like a wuus for having it set so low. I have a 5500cu ft great room with a wide open kitchen that is 3000cu ft and a double wide foyer and a double door opening into the den that adds another 3000+ cu ft and it still "hits" no matter where you are.(even in the shower)

Now I need to get some inexpensive bass traps for the corner behind the couch as it is a bit boomy there and for the upper corner as well but I need something that the Wifey will approve and I can paint or it will be a no go.

Anybody have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it. I could even do a DIY trap or if there is a foam block I can buy and then cut I could do that as well but it can't be big or ugly.

Thanks for all the great posts and stories. I especially love to read about the "newbies" once they get them set up and hit in the chest for the first time.

How would you compare your Dad's Dynasty to your Conquest?
post #7083 of 20380 Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleATheater View Post

My speakers for my HT are Aperions and they blend so nicely with the Phoenix.

Nice set up. I have a pair of PSB Synchrony Ones ... quite a bit more coin and the best floorstander I've ever heard in terms of tight, well defined bass. My Phoenix blends perfectly with them - now that I've got it dialed in I cannot locate the sub it is such a nice blend. That is for music with the ports plugged, of course. Ports open are best for heavy bass and low-lows material; ports stuffed for all non deep bass music hands down.
post #7084 of 20380 Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydfp View Post

I'm a long time lurker and this is my first post but I thought I might share some information to help you with your decision. I too have pondered dual Dynasties and considered them against a single Conquest or ED A7-900. I asked Chad about these comparisons and here is how he responded:

"Two Dynasty subwoofers will easily outperform a Conquest. Co-location will allow you to fiddle around with their frequency resposne at your listening position as well as a little bit more flexibility. I think that two Dynasty subwoofers will keep up if not outperform an A7-900. You've got similar power, driver size and quantity as well as cabinet size. The other advantages would be finish quality, and portability. I am biased of course. "

I am trying to fill a 7000 cubic foot space and asked Chad whether one Dynasty would work. Here is his response to that question:

"I think it would be best to start with a single Dynasty and go from there. If it can't get you there in regards to visceral impact due to your huge room size, a second one could be added at a later date. That way you only upgrade if you needed it."

Hope that helps.

boydfp:

Your post was very helpful and I appreciate you putting that information in this thread. Thanks!

If Epik is phasing out the Conquest, I'm just curious as to why. The Conquest is well-known and is Epik's flagship subwoofer and the praise it's received has been quite favorable, some even saying it's the best if not one of the best subwoofers you can buy.

I have no doubt that 2 of the Dynasty subs could give ED's A7-900 a tough challenge. However, I feel that ED's A7-450 which seems to get absolutely no attention, appears to be more of a competitor or challenger to Epik's subs, even the Conquest.

The A7-900 is a sub that everyone seems to know very well with those dual 18" drivers and its 1300 watt amp and huge enclosure.

But ED's A7-450 to me seems like the one to beat against Epik's single 18" driver subs. The A7-450's dimensions are actually slightly larger than the Conquest. Plus instead of having a 1300 watt amp to power the A7-900's 2 18" drivers, the A7-450 has the same 1300 watt amp driving the A7-450's single 18" driver and the Conquest has a 1000 watt amp. So on paper, to me it's ED's own A7-450 that comes the closest to challenging the A7-900 and matching or challenging Epik's Conquest. The A7-450 is only about $50 more than the Conquest, but ED offers free shipping.

Since the specs on the Conquest and ED's A7-450 are so close - weight, size, price, it's a very close call for someone figuring out which would be their ultimate choice for dual subs.

I've been spending alot of time basically figuring out which Epik sub I could get for now and then as time/space/finances permit, get a 2nd identical sub. If I was going with a single sub only, the Conquest or the A7-900 would be excellent choices. But after reading the specs on the A7-450, it seems to trump Epik's subs like the Phoenix and Dynasty and possibly the Conquest. That's why I'm surprised that this sub does not get mentioned as a direct competitor to the Conquest and even over at the Elemental Design thread, this sub is rarely mentioned, so I'm going by specs and various other information I've been able to find on the internet, so don't flame me.

I'm sure I could be quite happy with one Dynasty sub and get another 6 months later. Of course, you can never have enough bass and it would be awesome to have dual Conquest's and never think about upgrading to something better (unless maybe it was dual A7-900's). But I would be more than open to giving the A7-450 a try and if it's specs matches its performance, it would be like having a Conquest and I could easily live with that as a solo sub and getting a 2nd one would be kind of like getting ED's flagship sub, but in 2 pieces and each sub still has a 1300 watt amp in it.

I'm just curious as to why would Epik phase out the Conquest and why doesn't the ED A7-450 get more attention? I know this is an Epik thread and you guys have purchased your subs for a reason and apparently are extremely happy. I'm sure all of you probably checked out ED and know about their flagship A7-900, but it's also nice to do some comparison between the two company's offerings and when you see a sub like the A7-450 potentially matching the Conquest or exceeding it, it does make me wonder why so little is known about it.
post #7085 of 20380 Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Chad has not said the Conquest will be phased out, did he?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #7086 of 20380 Old 05-14-2009, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Gov:

I've just gotten the impression from reading this thread from the beginning that the Conquest doesn't seem to be that available and more than one person has mentioned it as potentially being "discontinued". I'm just going by what I've read and other's impressions on this thread. I think it would be sad if the Conquest was dropped and it would be hard to understand unless Epik doesn't sell many or they have an upgraded model in the works or something. I didn't mention anything in my previous post that hasn't been either hinted at or mentioned previously.
post #7087 of 20380 Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Chad has not said the Conquest will be phased out, did he?

I hope not I love my Conquest. I would defintely buy another one if I had a bigger HT.
post #7088 of 20380 Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

Gov:

I've just gotten the impression from reading this thread from the beginning that the Conquest doesn't seem to be that available and more than one person has mentioned it as potentially being "discontinued". I'm just going by what I've read and other's impressions on this thread. I think it would be sad if the Conquest was dropped and it would be hard to understand unless Epik doesn't sell many or they have an upgraded model in the works or something. I didn't mention anything in my previous post that hasn't been either hinted at or mentioned previously.

Give Chad a call and ask. Tell him you really had your heart set on a Conquest, I am sure he would be honest with you.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #7089 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

chad replied to my email i sent asking about the Sentinel. i asked him a lot of questions and he answered every single one in great detail. he seems to think it'll be plenty for me.

so far awesome awesome awesome customer service. i'll be sure to post up a few words and maybe some RTA results once i get it. THE WAIT BEGINS!!!!

Same here, I conversed with him for over a week before pulling the trigger. I expected him at any time to say (oh you again) haha. He answered everything in detail and provided some great information and insights.

I should be a few days ahead of you on the wait...hopefully...nothing personal.
post #7090 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:

How would you compare your Dad's Dynasty to your Conquest?

That Dynasty is a Rockin sub! The size difference is nice as you can put the Dynasty almost anywhere as it is not to tall compared to my Conquest which Is laying on its side and make a great large end table.
The difference in sound is that the Conquest goes lower and has a bit more mid bass punch but that is really the only difference I heard. I would say it is about 75%-80% of the Conquest.
They both blend wonderfully with our speakers for music once you get it set up right and placed correctly.
My Pop is using a Dennon 4806 with Audyssey and I have a Pioneer Elite SC07 that uses MCACC and they both did a good job of setting them up but both could probabaly benefit from a seperate EQ for them. (I think almost all subs will benefit from a seperate EQ for them).
I don't know what else you would like but I only had 2 days to help set it up and listen. It still needs some break in but I can honestly say it is an outstanding sub and pumps out a load of good bass.
If you have any other questions let me know.
post #7091 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesc View Post

Also I meant to say I have the volume at the 3 O clock position or around 8 out of 10.

I don't think many people are running their subs that hot. It seems post people end up between 9 and 12 o'clock. Do you hear any hum when it's in those ranges? What is the setting on your receiver's LFE output? Have you done anything to calibrate the sub to make sure you're using correct levels? How big is your room?

I don't want FOP, *********! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
post #7092 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:

Gov:

This is what Chad from Epik posted about the Conquest:
"The Conquest is currently out of stock, just to clear up any confusion. No time frame yet on when they will be available again, but I will post that information as soon as I can."

I was one of the speculators saying perhaps it was being discontinued, but now I doubt it. Based on what Chad said, it sounds more like a parts supply issue, because Chad is definitely indicating that it will be available again at some point.

I don't want FOP, *********! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
post #7093 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON IN II View Post

That Dynasty is a Rockin sub! The size difference is nice as you can put the Dynasty almost anywhere as it is not to tall compared to my Conquest which Is laying on its side and make a great large end table.
The difference in sound is that the Conquest goes lower and has a bit more mid bass punch but that is really the only difference I heard. I would say it is about 75%-80% of the Conquest.
They both blend wonderfully with our speakers for music once you get it set up right and placed correctly.
My Pop is using a Dennon 4806 with Audyssey and I have a Pioneer Elite SC07 that uses MCACC and they both did a good job of setting them up but both could probabaly benefit from a seperate EQ for them. (I think almost all subs will benefit from a seperate EQ for them).
I don't know what else you would like but I only had 2 days to help set it up and listen. It still needs some break in but I can honestly say it is an outstanding sub and pumps out a load of good bass.
If you have any other questions let me know.

Thanks. Your is the first post I've seen that compares these two great subs (other than Chad of course). The Dynasty looks like a bargain.
post #7094 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:

boydfp:

Your post was very helpful and I appreciate you putting that information in this thread. Thanks!

If Epik is phasing out the Conquest, I'm just curious as to why. The Conquest is well-known and is Epik's flagship subwoofer and the praise it's received has been quite favorable, some even saying it's the best if not one of the best subwoofers you can buy.

I have no doubt that 2 of the Dynasty subs could give ED's A7-900 a tough challenge. However, I feel that ED's A7-450 which seems to get absolutely no attention, appears to be more of a competitor or challenger to Epik's subs, even the Conquest.

The A7-900 is a sub that everyone seems to know very well with those dual 18" drivers and its 1300 watt amp and huge enclosure.

But ED's A7-450 to me seems like the one to beat against Epik's single 18" driver subs. The A7-450's dimensions are actually slightly larger than the Conquest. Plus instead of having a 1300 watt amp to power the A7-900's 2 18" drivers, the A7-450 has the same 1300 watt amp driving the A7-450's single 18" driver and the Conquest has a 1000 watt amp. So on paper, to me it's ED's own A7-450 that comes the closest to challenging the A7-900 and matching or challenging Epik's Conquest. The A7-450 is only about $50 more than the Conquest, but ED offers free shipping.

Since the specs on the Conquest and ED's A7-450 are so close - weight, size, price, it's a very close call for someone figuring out which would be their ultimate choice for dual subs.

I've been spending alot of time basically figuring out which Epik sub I could get for now and then as time/space/finances permit, get a 2nd identical sub. If I was going with a single sub only, the Conquest or the A7-900 would be excellent choices. But after reading the specs on the A7-450, it seems to trump Epik's subs like the Phoenix and Dynasty and possibly the Conquest. That's why I'm surprised that this sub does not get mentioned as a direct competitor to the Conquest and even over at the Elemental Design thread, this sub is rarely mentioned, so I'm going by specs and various other information I've been able to find on the internet, so don't flame me.

I'm sure I could be quite happy with one Dynasty sub and get another 6 months later. Of course, you can never have enough bass and it would be awesome to have dual Conquest's and never think about upgrading to something better (unless maybe it was dual A7-900's). But I would be more than open to giving the A7-450 a try and if it's specs matches its performance, it would be like having a Conquest and I could easily live with that as a solo sub and getting a 2nd one would be kind of like getting ED's flagship sub, but in 2 pieces and each sub still has a 1300 watt amp in it.

I'm just curious as to why would Epik phase out the Conquest and why doesn't the ED A7-450 get more attention? I know this is an Epik thread and you guys have purchased your subs for a reason and apparently are extremely happy. I'm sure all of you probably checked out ED and know about their flagship A7-900, but it's also nice to do some comparison between the two company's offerings and when you see a sub like the A7-450 potentially matching the Conquest or exceeding it, it does make me wonder why so little is known about it.

JimmyDaves:

Just a few more thoughts. I also considered the A7-450. My only concern was that they changed the driver recently to have more excursion (a good thing) but it is now different from the A7-900 which is described as more musical by Alex. In fact Alex describes the A5-350 as being more close to the musical sound of the A7-900 than the A7-450. If movie watching is your only concern then this may not be an issue. It is for me.

The A7-450 is described by both Alex and another poster (pwnd I believe) as bottom heavy. These two things make me wonder whether the A7-450 lacks midbass slam. It would be a good question for Alex who is very good about responding to posts and emails.

Another comparison I noticed between the Epik subs and the A7-900 is that the A7-900 is not really tuned to go that low (about 20 Hz). The Dynasty frequency response is +/- 3 dB to 14 Hz so it seems that the Dynasty will dig deeper.

Having said that I doubt you would regret either purchase. The A7-900 does have tremendous output and slam from what other posters have said. Chad says the new line has a flatter frequency response and also provides more slam than the old line.

Regarding the Conquest going away, the same thing happened to the old Epik line (Castle, Tower) before the new line was introduced. My guess would be that a replacement model for the Conquest is headed our way.
post #7095 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 07:26 AM

Does anyone else sub pop when it comes out of standby/sleep mode? Every time mine first picks up a LFE signal it pops as it comes on.

I turned the sub up to 12 o-clock and left the LFE on -3dB. I popped in Transformers last night and the sence where ironhide shoots himself over the screaming girl was awesome! The vents in my house were rattling.

Gov: I'll give that pipe organ music a try tonight as long as nothing comes up.
post #7096 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Same here, I conversed with him for over a week before pulling the trigger. I expected him at any time to say (oh you again) haha. He answered everything in detail and provided some great information and insights.

I have had a few emails back and forth between Chad and myself lately. I'll add a solid +1 in Chad's responses. He is very thoughtful and thorough taking the time to fully answer every question I have asked. He also did this in a pretty good time frame 24-36 hours or so. I have been pretty impressed by him so far.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #7097 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acpmadness View Post

Does anyone else sub pop when it comes out of standby/sleep mode? Every time mine first picks up a LFE signal it pops as it comes on.

I turned the sub up to 12 o-clock and left the LFE on -3dB. I popped in Transformers last night and the sence where ironhide shoots himself over the screaming girl was awesome! The vents in my house were rattling.

Gov: I'll give that pipe organ music a try tonight as long as nothing comes up.

I wouldn't describe mine as a "pop", but rather an audible "click" when it first comes out of stand by.
Cool on the pipe organ, let us know your thoughts

post #7098 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Well, I pulled off one of the Ports on my Phoenix and moved the wire away from the driver basket and the top of the cabinets and ports. I didn't expect so much polyfill. I couldn't see anything.

Previously, due to the sound of the wire hitting the ports/cabinet I was only getting a max of 93 dB (uncorrected) at my listening position due to the annoying sound of the tapping that began at that point. I'm happy to say now that the tapping is gone, and I'm getting 100 dB (uncorrected) from 17hz on up at my listening position.

Gov, thanks for all the info!!
post #7099 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy joe divola View Post

Well, I pulled off one of the Ports on my Phoenix and moved the wire away from the driver basket and the top of the cabinets and ports. I didn't expect so much polyfill. I couldn't see anything.

Previously, due to the sound of the wire hitting the ports/cabinet I was only getting a max of 93 dB (uncorrected) at my listening position due to the annoying sound of the tapping that began at that point. I'm happy to say now that the tapping is gone, and I'm getting 100 dB (uncorrected) from 17hz on up at my listening position.

Gov, thanks for all the info!!

Excellent!! The Phoenix is quite unbelieveable at how well it does everything.

post #7100 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertma View Post

I don't know if this info will help but- I'm running a single Conquest in a 5000 cu ft room 12.5' x 40' x 10', it's narrow with no openings (three closed doors and no windows). I can't imagine any more sub than this in this room. It has never failed to impress with movies or music. I have a test tone that I play to show it off, it starts at 35hz and slopes down to 1hz. At high volumes it sounds like a 747 is landing on the roof and the look on people's faces is priceless. I think the alley-like shape of the room and putting the driver near the floor really helps to couple the sub with the room- lots of gain for only 1000watts.

Awesome system. Good to hear that the Conquest has no problem with such a large space.
post #7101 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a few more thoughts. I also considered the A7-450. My only concern was that they changed the driver recently to have more excursion (a good thing) but it is now different from the A7-900 which is described as more musical by Alex. In fact Alex describes the A5-350 as being more close to the musical sound of the A7-900 than the A7-450. If movie watching is your only concern then this may not be an issue. It is for me.

The A7-450 is described by both Alex and another poster (pwnd I believe) as bottom heavy. These two things make me wonder whether the A7-450 lacks midbass slam. It would be a good question for Alex who is very good about responding to posts and emails.

Another comparison I noticed between the Epik subs and the A7-900 is that the A7-900 is not really tuned to go that low (about 20 Hz). The Dynasty frequency response is +/- 3 dB to 14 Hz so it seems that the Dynasty will dig deeper.

Having said that I doubt you would regret either purchase. The A7-900 does have tremendous output and slam from what other posters have said. Chad says the new line has a flatter frequency response and also provides more slam than the old line.

Regarding the Conquest going away, the same thing happened to the old Epik line (Castle, Tower) before the new line was introduced. My guess would be that a replacement model for the Conquest is headed our way.

boydfp:

I guess that my primary use for a subwoofer would be home theater, probably 90%-95%. Yes, it would be nice if it could handle music well also, but I have the Paradigm Signature 8's and when I listen to music, I don't really use a subwoofer because of my speakers' 4 bass drivers. I find the music more natural/realistic just with the left/right speakers.

Now with home theater, it's just not home theater without a subwoofer and I don't want my speakers to have to reproduce those powerful deep and dynamic bass notes below 60hz. Even though the Dynasty's 3db point is 14hz, I can't seem to find what the 3db point is for the A7-450 or even the A7-900. What is the 3db point for the Conquest?

Learning that the A7-450 lack's "midbass slam" is somewhat confusing to me because I'm not sure how that would affect a sound sytem in music or home theater. This is something new for me to factor into this equation of comparing subs. I've been comparing the Epik Conquest to the A7-450 because of the great similarities in their specs. It's hard to argue that. The A7-450 is slightly larger, heavier, very close in price and the A7-450 has a 1300 watt amp compared to Epik's 1000 watt amp.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm an ED fan infiltrating this thread; I'm just trying to compare what I consider a great subwoofer, the Conquest, to offerings from what I feel is Epik's main competitor, Elemental Design. The comparison I've been talking about is valid I feel and given a choice, it would be very tough with a slight edge going to the Conquest because of more reviews, it's more well-known plus has balanced inputs. I do like the fact that Epik has graphs of the frequency response of its subs except the Conquest but ED does not.

I've actually tried to order the Conquest to see what shipping would be to my location, but it won't let me do that like it does with the Dynasty or Phoenix, so that must say something about the availability of the Conquest. So my question about the Conquest being phased out or replaced was more out of buying one subwoofer now and getting a second identical sub 6 months from now. I know the Conquest probably isn't a good example of this, but I do believe that one person on this thread has dual Conquests. But if I wanted to buy one Conquest now and get an another one in 6 months, I don't know how secure I'd feel in getting the same subwoofer or same version.

This would be more feasible or realistic with getting two of the Phoenix or Dynasty subs.

boydfp: what sub do you currently have and if cost were no object, which sub from either Epik or ED would you purchase and why?
post #7102 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Jimmy,

I think the Conquest will get down to an honest 10hz in most rooms. Maybe even 8 or 9hz

If I had to guess, if for whatever reason Chad decides to retire the Conquest from his line up, I would bet he adds something to replace it.

post #7103 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I pretty much traumatized my daughter. We had a very bad thunder storm in our area yesterday afternoon. I asked my daughter if she heard and felt that thunder. She responded yes it was pretty bad it shook the house. Then she thought about and said let me guess that was you with the Conquest. I responded no it wasn't me this time it was actually the bad weather outside.
post #7104 of 20380 Old 05-15-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

It would be interesting to see what would replace the Conquest if it were to be discontinued. The size of the cabinet and the price. I doubt the driver size would change. Double 18" ?!?! sick.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #7105 of 20380 Old 05-16-2009, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My guess, dual 18" passive sealed.
post #7106 of 20380 Old 05-16-2009, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I read somewhere that the Conquest puts out over 100db at 12hz? Is that true? If so, how can it accomplish that vs the likes of ED's A7-450 which has a much larger enclosure and dual 18" drivers and a more powerful amplifier?
post #7107 of 20380 Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:

boydfp:

I guess that my primary use for a subwoofer would be home theater, probably 90%-95%. Yes, it would be nice if it could handle music well also, but I have the Paradigm Signature 8's and when I listen to music, I don't really use a subwoofer because of my speakers' 4 bass drivers. I find the music more natural/realistic just with the left/right speakers.

Now with home theater, it's just not home theater without a subwoofer and I don't want my speakers to have to reproduce those powerful deep and dynamic bass notes below 60hz. Even though the Dynasty's 3db point is 14hz, I can't seem to find what the 3db point is for the A7-450 or even the A7-900. What is the 3db point for the Conquest?

Learning that the A7-450 lack's "midbass slam" is somewhat confusing to me because I'm not sure how that would affect a sound sytem in music or home theater. This is something new for me to factor into this equation of comparing subs. I've been comparing the Epik Conquest to the A7-450 because of the great similarities in their specs. It's hard to argue that. The A7-450 is slightly larger, heavier, very close in price and the A7-450 has a 1300 watt amp compared to Epik's 1000 watt amp.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm an ED fan infiltrating this thread; I'm just trying to compare what I consider a great subwoofer, the Conquest, to offerings from what I feel is Epik's main competitor, Elemental Design. The comparison I've been talking about is valid I feel and given a choice, it would be very tough with a slight edge going to the Conquest because of more reviews, it's more well-known plus has balanced inputs. I do like the fact that Epik has graphs of the frequency response of its subs except the Conquest but ED does not.

I've actually tried to order the Conquest to see what shipping would be to my location, but it won't let me do that like it does with the Dynasty or Phoenix, so that must say something about the availability of the Conquest. So my question about the Conquest being phased out or replaced was more out of buying one subwoofer now and getting a second identical sub 6 months from now. I know the Conquest probably isn't a good example of this, but I do believe that one person on this thread has dual Conquests. But if I wanted to buy one Conquest now and get an another one in 6 months, I don't know how secure I'd feel in getting the same subwoofer or same version.

This would be more feasible or realistic with getting two of the Phoenix or Dynasty subs.

boydfp: what sub do you currently have and if cost were no object, which sub from either Epik or ED would you purchase and why?

JimmyDaves:

If money were no object I would get a Danley TH-50 subwoofer ($4000 with amp). Four of these are used in the Chicago IMAX and provide a flat response to 10 Hz. They are about the same size as the A7-900 but weigh much less and can provide over 130 dB of clean bass in a typical room.

If I were to go with ED I would go for the A7-900. It has received positive reviews from several posters and was ranked first on Craigsub's now outdated subwoofer list.

The A7-450 could be a great sub but I only know of one poster for the new design. He seems to like his. I don't know if this subwoofer has strong mid-bass slam or not as I haven't heard it. I only wonder because Alex of ED describes this subwoofer as not being as musical as the A7-900 and also describes it as bottom-heavy. If I were interested in the A7-450 I would ask Alex how the midbass slam of this model compares to his other models. Alex is pretty good about describing the differences in sound between the ED subs.

I think midbass slam is as important for movies as music. Its what gives you that "hit-in-the-chest" feel for explosions and other sound effects.

By the way I'm not sure I would be too worried about balanced inputs. Most of these larger subs will require some kind of EQ and the most common EQ units (Velodyne, Antimode, SVS) don't have balanced input/outputs anyway.

I currently have an ADS Sub 12 which is over ten years old. I just purchased a new preamp and will need to replenish my funds before I can get my subwoofers which will be two Dynasties. I think this choice will sound musical, provide plenty of slam, and allow smoothing out the bass frequency response by moving the subs to different locations. Also, it will be easier to move these subs around (compared to an A7-900) and experiment with location which is critical for a sub.

The frequency response for both the A7-900 and A7-450 is listed on the eD site as -3 dB at 16 Hz but this includes room gain. The actual frequency response for the A7-900 is shown by selecting A7-900 and then selecting Gallery. Its one of the pictures. This graph shows a tuning of about 20 Hz. I don't see a similar graph for the A7-450.

Actually its hard to go wrong with either the Epik or ED subs. Both are probably going to sound fantastic. I'll be looking for your review when you get your subs.
post #7108 of 20380 Old 05-16-2009, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

boydfp:

You bring up a good point about 'midbass slam". You mentioned you'd go for ED's A7-900 so I assume that if you went with Epik, you'd aim for the Conquest?

With Epik's other subs, it allows me to add them to my cart so I can figure out what shipping costs would be to my location, all except the Conquest. It doesn't let me add it to my cart at all.

I wonder now since ED has a front-firing version of their A7-900 how that would affect the entire sound quality, bass extension, mid-bass slam, etc.?
post #7109 of 20380 Old 05-16-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:

boydfp:

You bring up a good point about 'midbass slam". You mentioned you'd go for ED's A7-900 so I assume that if you went with Epik, you'd aim for the Conquest?

With Epik's other subs, it allows me to add them to my cart so I can figure out what shipping costs would be to my location, all except the Conquest. It doesn't let me add it to my cart at all.

I wonder now since ED has a front-firing version of their A7-900 how that would affect the entire sound quality, bass extension, mid-bass slam, etc.?

Jimmy:

If I went Epik I would go with two Dynasties because my budget doesn't allow for two Conquests. Two Conquests would be even better although I don't know if my room could utilize all that output.

I'm in California and when I did add the Conquest to my cart the shipping was $300. I believe it was close to the same for most places.

The reason for the higher costs was that the unit could not be sent Fed Ex but had to be delivered by a shipping company. It was also placed in a wood crate so packaging was more expensive.

One of the ED folks described the difference between the front firing and down firing A7-900s. He said he would be lying if he said he could tell the difference. However, the front firing A7-900 is suppose to have slightly greater output because the internal space is slightly greater.
post #7110 of 20380 Old 05-16-2009, 01:41 AM

I am contemplating on getting a Dragon and was wondering if it had good tactile bass; I like to be able to feel the bass?

How does the Dragon compare to the Phoenix in this manner?

In general, will a ported design have a more tactile feel over a sealed design, or is it just that a ported design can play louder with more efficiency?

Thanks for your help.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page