AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post

Hi there,

That's a real shame because all the others, i.e: Ed, Seaton subs, funky waves etc... ship worldwide. May be they should start thinking about it or get a European supplier.

We don't have enough choice over here. I currently have a SVS PC ultra and its a good sub but the conquest sounds like a better sub.

cheers

Graham

Tell Chad you want to start a European Division of Epik in Europe.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7982 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post

Hi there,

That's a real shame because all the others, i.e: Ed, Seaton subs, funky waves etc... ship worldwide. May be they should start thinking about it or get a European supplier.

We don't have enough choice over here. I currently have a SVS PC ultra and its a good sub but the conquest sounds like a better sub.

cheers

Graham

One of your best bets is probably the SVS PB13 Ultra. If Seaton ships internationally then the Submersive would be an even better choice.

Epik has had trouble filling all orders domestically and I don't see them being able to expand too rapidly any time soon.

-Chad
post #7983 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Supporting international customers is costly and a PITA for both the OEM and customer. Without a dealer network that can stock inventory and parts, every international sale is a gamble. I agree with Epik's stand on this. I'm sure Chad's got his eye on expanding into other markets, but wants to do it the right way. If you've got a vocal international forum member with a problem, the perception last's for years. Ask eD. Everytime someone asks a this sub/that sub question, someone chimes in that Mike C (ribbit) wasn't happy with his subs. It's not fair to either party.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #7984 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Looking at the Dragon or the ed A7S-450.
ed is a couple hundered less. Is there a reason I should go with the Dragon?
post #7985 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

Looking at the Dragon or the ed A7S-450.
ed is a couple hundered less. Is there a reason I should go with the Dragon?

The Dragon is smaller, weight, and goes to 20hz. I think the finish on the Dragon is better. Not a fan of the silver cone. The balanced and unbalanced inputs. If that matters to you. Relevative newly designed sub. More to date I guess. Those are the reason's why I picked the Dragon. Although the ED has more wattage at 1300w rms.
post #7986 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 110
watched Cloverfield this morning. watched it at -14 with the Sentinel about 2-3db hot and that was plenty loud for me. pretty crazy movie for bass, that's for sure.

Nearfield music: Laptop w/REW & Equalizer APO -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2

H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel

My last.fm profile

post #7987 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ordered my logo Sunday, got it today. Now that's fast processing.
post #7988 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Ordered my logo Sunday, got it today. Now that's fast processing.

Is it an adhesive, or a pin emblem? I'll probably order one soon.
post #7989 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

It's just a sticker.

post #7990 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

It's just a sticker.

You know in the car world those are good for 10 HP.

How well is the sticker adhering to the fabric of the grill?

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #7991 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

In the audio world, it's +4db's.
post #7992 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Emblems for my Conquests and Dragons.

John

post #7993 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

It's Adhesive

Quote:

How well is the sticker adhering to the fabric of the grill?

Don't know, I really don't want one. I like the clean look without the logo so I'm not going to use it. I figured if the upgrade bug struck in the future I could put the logo on at that point which should help. I would imagine it adheres very well since it's what they are using now and how most logos adhere to fabric.
post #7994 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

I figured if the upgrade bug struck in the future I could put the logo on at that point which should help.

That's funny.

post #7995 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

John

OMG...John, that's like +4db for each!!
post #7996 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

John

Please do tell your impression of the dragon vs the conquest!

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #7997 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

OMG...John, that's like +4db for each!!

+16dB!!
post #7998 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleATheater View Post

+16dB!!

Only if the stickers are co-located.
post #7999 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 PM

I'm looking to build a second sub to go with my Phoenix possibly at some point and was wondering if anyone can help me. I wonder how much I would have to spend on a driver to match the quality/output of the Phoenix. I also wonder how much the Phoenix driver would retail for if Chad sold them separately (any guesses). If I can't find anything relatively close to the Phoenix to build I'll just have to wait till I can convince the wife that another will be worth the extra $$. Thanks.
post #8000 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleATheater View Post

I'm looking to build a second sub to go with my Phoenix possibly at some point and was wondering if anyone can help me. I wonder how much I would have to spend on a driver to match the quality/output of the Phoenix. I also wonder how much the Phoenix driver would retail for if Chad sold them separately (any guesses). If I can't find anything relatively close to the Phoenix to build I'll just have to wait till I can convince the wife that another will be worth the extra $$. Thanks.

Guessing $200-$250 retail for the driver. Maybe Chad can give you detailed schematics of the phoenix so you can try and match it as much as possible.

post #8001 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Guessing $200-$250 retail for the driver. Maybe Chad can give you detailed schematics of the phoenix so you can try and match it as much as possible.

Good thinking, Thanks
post #8002 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

... Maybe Chad can give you detailed schematics of the phoenix so you can try and match it as much as possible.

No offense, and I may be off base, but I can't imagine he would. It took him a fair amount of time, research and effort to design the sub, that gets recouped through sales of his products. I just don't see the economic motivation for him to give out the fruits of his labor.

Many good sub designs are available in the DIY section here and at Home Theater Shack, I am sure someone would be willing to help with the design and questions, I just don't see a clone with schematics provided in the future.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8003 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

No offense, and I may be off base, but I can't imagine he would. It took him a fair amount of time, research and effort to design the sub, that gets recouped through sales of his products. I just don't see the economic motivation for him to give out the fruits of his labor.

Many good sub designs are available in the DIY section here and at Home Theater Shack, I am sure someone would be willing to help with the design and questions, I just don't see a clone with schematics provided in the future.

I was about to say the same thing. None of the ID companies I know of even give out any T/S specs for their drivers. ID companies helping people build subs which are very similar to the subs they manufacture would totally shoot them in the foot. Not to mention the fact that they probably want to keep some of their driver spec information confidential from competitors as well.
post #8004 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

I was about to say the same thing. None of the ID companies I know of even give out any T/S specs for their drivers. ID companies helping people build subs which are very similar to the subs they manufacture would totally shoot them in the foot. Not to mention the fact that they probably want to keep some of their driver spec information confidential from competitors as well.

yup, i wouldn't be giving out more info than i had to if i was Epik.

it's a nice thought but they are in business to make money just like everybody else.

Nearfield music: Laptop w/REW & Equalizer APO -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2

H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel

My last.fm profile

post #8005 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 05:37 PM

I have another thread in the Sub section in reference to the AnitMode, Audessy, and my Dynasty. If you didn't see it here is the conclusion.

Reposted here because I don't want any Epik (Dynasty) owners, or soon to be owners to miss this.

For those that don't know, my HT room has the acoustics of a carnival funhouse.

------------------------------------------------------

I got a very quick response from VLSI Solution (AntiMode) in reference to the AntiMode and my Audessey 2EQ (which does not add filters to a sub).

I calibrated the Epik Dynasty with the AntiMode 8033 then I re-ran Audessey. Audessey correctly changed the distance of my subwoofer.

Audessey set the sub to -3 on my Onkyo. All 7 speakers were level matched except for the sub which is 3db hotter according to my RS SPL meter. I don't know what frequency range Audessey uses for the sub.

Sub gain is set to 12 O'clock.

I did engage the 25Hz lift. It added clean sounding gain. No noticeable distortion.

I have been using the same test songs for the last couple of weeks trying to dial the Dynasty in. Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas was loud and boomy at the same exact notes. It was a very noticeable, muddy boom boom as compared to the other "boom booms" just before and after.

After today's setup it is now COMPLETELY GONE !!!

That song is now tight all the way through. Wow, what a difference. The beats fall off much quicker now instead of hanging around and getting mixed into the next one. Sharper and harder hitting certainly would describe the change.

Another song that I have been using is Madonna's Die Another Day (someone from another thread recommended it) Very hard hitting bass that stops and starts abruptly. I'm not sure where the majority of the bass lies but I was getting 105 Db peaks at my sitting position and I had to turn it down because the slam was resetting my heart rate. I know that the RS SPL meter reads low Db's in the bass region. I don't know what the actual Db's were during this song but I couldn't take any more. The bass reminded me of my old "clubbin days" standing near a speaker and feeling every bass note in your chest.

BTW, my main seated position is 17 feet from the speakers and the sub.

For the last couple of weeks since I got my Dynasty I have been fooling around trying to dial it in manually, Audessey on, Audessey off, tweaks here and there, applying some Db's via the Onkyo, Etc.

I never came close to what I did today in 10 minutes between the Audessey and the AntiMode. Done correctly, in the proper order was all I needed.

Thanks Pasi. I'm a believer.

-------------------------------------------------

Thanks Epik. The Dynasty is unbelievable !!!

The Evil Plan = (Dynasty + Empire) / at 40 Hz !
post #8006 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjulius View Post

I have another thread in the Sub section in reference to the AnitMode, Audessy, and my Dynasty. If you didn't see it here is the conclusion.

Reposted here because I don't want any Epik (Dynasty) owners, or soon to be owners to miss this.

I got a very quick response from VLSI Solution (AntiMode) in reference to the AntiMode and my Audessey 2EQ (which does not add filters to a sub).

I calibrated the Epik Dynasty with the AntiMode 8033 then I re-ran Audessey. Audessey correctly changed the distance of my subwoofer.

Audessey set the sub to -3 on my Onkyo. All 7 speakers were level matched except for the sub which is 3db hotter according to my RS SPL meter. I don't know what frequency range Audessey uses for the sub.

I did engage the 25Hz lift. It added clean sounding gain. No noticeable distortion.

I have been using the same test songs for the last couple of weeks trying to dial the Dynasty in. Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas was loud and boomy at the same exact notes. It was a very noticeable, muddy boom boom as compared to the other "boom booms" just before and after.

That song is now tight all the way through. Wow, what a difference. The beats fall off much quicker now instead of hanging around and getting mixed into the next one. Sharper and harder hitting certainly would describe the change.

Another song that I have been using is Madonna's Die Another Day (someone from another thread recommended it) Very hard hitting bass that stops and starts abruptly. I'm not sure where the majority of the bass lies but I was getting 105 Db peaks at my sitting position and I had to turn it down because the slam was resetting my heart rate. I know that the RS SPL meter reads low Db's in the bass region. I don't know what the actual Db's were during this song but I couldn't take any more. The bass reminded me of my old "clubbin days" standing near a speaker and feeling every bass note in your chest.

For the last couple of weeks since I got my Dynasty I have been fooling around trying to dial it in manually, Audessey on, Audessey off, tweaks here and there, applying some Db's via the Onkyo, Etc.

I never came close to what I did today in 10 minutes between the Audessey and the AntiMode. Done correctly, in the proper order was all I needed.

good to hear man.

My last.fm profile

post #8007 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

I figured that as well, that's why I haven't shot them an email. I'd way rather buy a second Phoenix than build my own sub. The wife just won't let me spend that kind of money again yet. I'll probably just wait and save some more and see if I can change her mind.
post #8008 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 06:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Supporting international customers is costly and a PITA for both the OEM and customer. Without a dealer network that can stock inventory and parts, every international sale is a gamble. I agree with Epik's stand on this. I'm sure Chad's got his eye on expanding into other markets, but wants to do it the right way. If you've got a vocal international forum member with a problem, the perception last's for years. Ask eD. Everytime someone asks a this sub/that sub question, someone chimes in that Mike C (ribbit) wasn't happy with his subs. It's not fair to either party.

So true. According to ED they sold several dozen A7-450s and Mike C was the only complaint they ever had regarding this model. However, because of the publicity that was caused ED ended up redesigning the driver and enclosure.

Besides, with all the positive buzz regarding Epik subwoofers Chad probably has his hands full just filling domestic orders.
post #8009 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizRod1 View Post

GPowered, glad to see there is a knowledgeable forum member in the area with a Phoenix. I'm in North Port. Glad you like your Phoenix. I may shoot you some questions on here, hope you don't mind.

Brian

No problem. I'm in San Francisco right now but will be back in FL this weekend. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you want as well.
post #8010 of 20368 Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjulius View Post

Very Interesting. I have a question as I am a little confused though. I have Audyssey Multi-EQ and Dynamic EQ (basically the same thing except it helps at lower volumes). It is my understanding that Audyssey sets levels, distance, type (x-over setting although this is generally more of a personal preference), AND helps to smooth out peaks and dips, etc.

Since you are running Anti-mode, what is the point of using Audyssey in addition to it? Anti-mode will smooth out FR and the levels, type, distance, etc. could be set with an RS Meter. Let me know because I was under the impression that Audyssey may not do that good of a job smoothing things. Is the Anti-mode worth the investment if I have Audyssey?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page