AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayhemNJ View Post

a really crappy 90w polk audio sub lol

oh cool. then you should be REALLY impressed. i like mine a whole bunch.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8103 of 20385 Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by robobob View Post

Hi Larry:

I am doing what you are considering, using an active crossover (Behringer cx3400 to get control over delay or the cx2310, which does not allow control over the low end delay but is cheaper) and it works very well!

I am using this with two Valors to provide stereo bass for the smaller Maggies (MG12)

You can play with the crossover point and placement until you find the best fit for your room.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the headsup robobob. I'll check it out. I received another tip suggesting the NHT-X2 which looks like a great EQ. Only problem its a little costly at $400.
post #8104 of 20385 Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

just out of curiosity, what happens when Epik subs are pushed to their limits? i have never pushed my Sentinel to any level that i was uncomfortable playing it at. i have never heard any bad noises, no clipping, no bottoming out. so, when it does reach it's limits, what will happen first? amp clipping, the driver bottoming out, or will it just stop getting louder? if it does just stop getting louder does that mean that the amp has some kind of protection against clipping? maybe this would be a good question for me to ask Chad himself, but i am sure there are people on here who are crazier than me, that should know the answer.

I've had my Castle for over a year now and I've never heard any strange noises from the driver. I have it calibrated with my mains only by ear, no SPL meter, but I've done many adjustments both on my receiver and the sub to get it right. I've played my sub loud enough to believe that it just stops getting louder. I've shut the sub down twice and both times it was from playing music for about 4 hours or more. After about 10-15 minutes it began to work again. Still even then , no abnormal driver sounds.
post #8105 of 20385 Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Noah_ View Post

I've had my Castle for over a year now and I've never heard any strange noises from the driver. I have it calibrated with my mains only by ear, no SPL meter, but I've done many adjustments both on my receiver and the sub to get it right. I've played my sub loud enough to believe that it just stops getting louder. I've shut the sub down twice and both times it was from playing music for about 4 hours or more. After about 10-15 minutes it began to work again. Still even then , no abnormal driver sounds.

interesting. it just shut off?

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8106 of 20385 Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Yes. The red protection light came on in the back and the sub was silent. The first time I unplugged the power and signal cable because I didn't know why it stopped. I thought it may have over heated , but the amp was only warm, no where near hot. After powering everything down and making sure all my cables were secured, I turned it all back on again and the sub fired back up. A total of 10 minutes max. I was having a party and the music was much more demanding than any movie ever would be. I've learned that if I drop the sub trim on my receiver 5-6db I don't run into any trouble playing music loud and long, and I still get good enough bass.
post #8107 of 20385 Old 07-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

From the Epik website regarding the Conquest:

"With nearly 3000w worth of power handling thanks to its cooling system, even the power from its 1000w amplifier is handled with ease."

The Conquest driver is much more capable than the amp is able to perform. I wonder if Chad continued that thinking down the entire Epik line? It would make sense. Finding the limits of a driver can destroy it, finding the limits of an amp can be predictable and preventable.
post #8108 of 20385 Old 07-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I don't really think its possible to blow out the 18" driver in these things. I have run my Phoenix very very hard and it just stops getting louder and nothing else. They are simple amazing drivers!
I think Chad once said that he has never had one come back with any driver failure. If this is a fact, It is simply magnificent

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #8109 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Same here. I played music on the Dragon for 5hrs straight at -15db. Then a movie right after, the amp got hot but it didn't shut off.
post #8110 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Hope this doesnt cause any trouble....but here goes

I asked Chad about the diff between my MFW and his Dragon...

Quote:

<<How do you guys compare the relative abilities of the two.>>

I own two MFW-15's (and a LOT of other subwoofers) that I use for
testing. If I don't know how they compare, I can't really offer you a
true idea of how my products perform compared to other products.

The Dragon basically has more output at every frequency. At 20 Hz it
is 2-3 dB louder than the MFW-15. Below 20 Hz, the Dragon gradually
increases its advantage because of its sealed design. Because their is
no rolloff below tuning, it has a large advantage in the subsonic realm.

Musically speaking, I don't think there is any contest between the
two. Remember, that I am horribly biased. The Dragon sounds much
more refined to my ears on movies AND music. Its sealed design gives
it amazing sound quality and it stops on a dime.

However, you have to look at what you are getting. The MFW-15 uses a
15 inch driver with a stamped steel frame and a 2 inch voice coil. The
Dragon utilizes an 18 inch cone with a cast aluminum frame and a 3
inch voice coil. The magnet structure on our 18 is also far larger.
You are also comparing 300/350 watts to 600 watts.

You get what you pay for. A larger amplifier coupled to a huge
subwoofer driver and a much more capable motor are going to make a
difference. It is just physics. The MFW-15 is a capable subwoofer
as you know, but the Dragon is in another league in regards to output,
sound quality, and subsonic capability.

I hope that this answers your question. Your decision to purchase a
Dragon to replace your MFW-15 definitely makes sense in regards to
output and overall performance.

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #8111 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

cool.

post #8112 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 09:20 AM

Despite the amazing performance, I am taking offers on my Phnx. It's in perfect condition inside and out. Purchased it in April and have used it mostly on the weekends and 90% for music. Selling because we don't watch that many movies with the 11 month old right now, and we will be moving shortly plus is just too big for what I am looking to work with right now. Performance-wise it is amazing as I have posted on here - I have measured 118+db in my room and it's not a small room by any stretch. I will miss it but my system is mostly music right now so the sub is not hitting its potential.

I paid $1,178 our the door for it and would like to get rid of it with say ... not less than a $200 loss. I have the orignal box, packing material, and 2 high quality foam port plugs for it. PM me if you are interested - you can check my feeback on ebay under haltrop. I am a stand up guy and will ensure it is packed like a brick sh*t house. Thanks.
post #8113 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

The Dragon basically has more output at every frequency. At 20 Hz it
is 2-3 dB louder than the MFW-15.

The MFW-15 produced 105dB at 20Hz according to Craig's test, I somehow doubt the dragon can produce 107dB.
post #8114 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin View Post

The MFW-15 produced 105dB at 20Hz according to Craig's test, I somehow doubt the dragon can produce 107dB.

It is possible that the MFW's Chad has produce less output than the MFW's Craig has and measured. Each of my two MFW's go to hell in a hand basket at around 100 DB at 20 Hz in room (running solo, not combined, but both were pretty similar, the response over 35 Hz was very strong though). Of course, my wife was threatening to kill me at the same time that I was doing that test.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8115 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

It is possible that the MFW's Chad has produce less output than the MFW's Craig has and measured. Each of my two MFW's go to hell in a hand basket at around 100 DB at 20 Hz in room (running solo, not combined, but both were pretty similar, the response over 35 Hz was very strong though). Of course, my wife was threatening to kill me at the same time that I was doing that test.

That was my thinking. I'm guessing the Dragon is ~ 103 @ 20hz.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #8116 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

That was my thinking. I'm guessing the Dragon is ~ 103 @ 20hz.

The wife has left..perhaps I will due a 20 hz tone and see what happens!

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #8117 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowered View Post

Despite the amazing performance, I am taking offers on my Phnx. It's in perfect condition inside and out. Purchased it in April and have used it mostly on the weekends and 90% for music. Selling because we don't watch that many movies with the 11 month old right now, and we will be moving shortly plus is just too big for what I am looking to work with right now. Performance-wise it is amazing as I have posted on here - I have measured 118+db in my room and it's not a small room by any stretch. I will miss it but my system is mostly music right now so the sub is not hitting its potential.

I paid $1,178 our the door for it and would like to get rid of it with say ... not less than a $200 loss. I have the orignal box, packing material, and 2 high quality foam port plugs for it. PM me if you are interested - you can check my feeback on ebay under haltrop. I am a stand up guy and will ensure it is packed like a brick sh*t house. Thanks.

Hey Jeff,

Sorry to hear you are selling your Phoenix. If I had waited a little longer could have saved a few bucks. I know that your not selling for lack of performance, I've got the Great Fantasy Adventure cd movie tracks, with some floor shaking bass down to 10 hz, if you don't have it or something similar, to demo your Phoenix if someone wants to hear what it's capable of. My company the other night were almost jumped off the couch, I guess I should have warned them. Let me know if you'd like to borrow it.

Brian
post #8118 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

The wife has left..perhaps I will due a 20 hz tone and see what happens!

Indoors, it will probably do better, but listening to 20hz sinewaves loud...hmmm...I think I'll pass .

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #8119 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Well I just got my dragon to make a funny noise...during the opening seq of Transformers..when the err...chopper plane thing first pops in...

Got a funny click/pop kind of noise from the driver..sounded like it came from the lower side of the voicecoil...during heavy excursion...

dropped the spl quite a bit before it would stop happening...

post #8120 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I just got my dragon to make a funny noise...during the opening seq of Transformers..when the err...chopper plane thing first pops in...

Got a funny click/pop kind of noise from the driver..sounded like it came from the lower side of the voicecoil...during heavy excursion...

dropped the spl quite a bit before it would stop happening...

It could be a wire touching the cone. Try rotating the sub.
post #8121 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

I currently own two JL Audio Fathom 113's and was wondering if anyone has compared a F113 to a Dynasty. I have been considering going with two Dynasty's in place of the two JL's and have spoken to Chad about this a couple of times over the last few months. Obviously the Dynasty is going to have more output down low versus the JL's. My main concern is sound quality which I feel the JL's excels at especially on music, but I also feel like I am pushing the JL's sometimes to much to get the output that I want especially on movies. Like most of you here I am a little bit of a bass fanatic so I push things a little more than the average joe

I'm worried that the Dynasty is going to sound boxy compared to the JL. The JL is half the size but weighs just as much. I know this doesn't always mean anything but the JL's are solid and more importantly they sound solid.

Just for the record I own a Epik Valor and love it. I've had this sub in a second system that my son and I use for gaming for over a year and a half so I am a Epik supporter. I just want to make a good rationale decision and would like your guys input.
post #8122 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

It could be a wire touching the cone. Try rotating the sub.

Will do.........didnt seem like it should be happening.....wasnt running all out.....dropped gain from 12 to 1030 at -5db @lfe level...still got the pop/click...

post #8123 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will do.........didnt seem like it should be happening.....wasnt running all out.....dropped gain from 12 to 1030 at -5db @lfe level...still got the pop/click...

TRy the pod emergence scene in WOTW. I had the speaker wire problem with my Phoenix and during that scene from about -15dB and louder, I had a loud ticking/clicking that was only noticable with just the subwoofer playing from the 14 foot away listening position.
It has been clearly documented in this thread what to do for it.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #8124 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

TRy the pod emergence scene in WOTW. I had the speaker wire problem with my Phoenix and during that scene from about -15dB and louder, I had a loud ticking/clicking that was only noticable with just the subwoofer playing from the 14 foot away listening position.
It has been clearly documented in this thread what to do for it.

REALLLLLLLAHAHALY.....hmm first I heard of it...

is it a 180 or 90 rotate

post #8125 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX250F View Post

I'm worried that the Dynasty is going to sound boxy compared to the JL. The JL is half the size but weighs just as much. I know this doesn't always mean anything but the JL's are solid and more importantly they sound solid.

I don't know if folks really want to touch this one.. As the JL is an awesome sub.. Craigsubs rated it like this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768150 go down a bit and you'll see..

The Dynasty is rated up with the Ultra 13 with more output across the board.. If you can get a Dynasty in the house I don't think you'll regret it.. The boominess will be dependant on set-up, location and EQ.. The Dynasty has a very impressive flat responce and an upper end that is not sacrificed for the low end abilities.. But the JL is a monster sub for it size but as you push it hard it is cossed over to have a slight hump at mid upper bass FR's so when pushing it to near max level your low end is of coarse sacraficed..

Again for some this is the perfect sub, as they can't get dual Ultra 13's or Dynasty sized subs in the door.. WAF.. But if you could you would be matching and bettering the JL.. Even the Conquest had review of how punchy this thing is, and it's huge.. Very tight and haevy motors in these 18" drivers..

For me -my idea is going with dual Phoenix' should get very low responce into the low teens and an imprssive mid to top end, even past 80 hhrtz.. The output should exceed a Conquest.. My first Phoenix should be on the way in a few days.

RT gave me the best advice in this area and that was to call up Chad. -The late afternoon/early evenings is were I was able to reach him.. That guy is great to talk with as he knows a lot.. As you probably know from already owning an Epik.. The JL is an easy taget to go after as the price point is so high.. It appears to be able to be bested, but it's still a sweet sub.. Small, beatiful finish, self calibration etc... But tough to swallow at >$3K.. -Love those drivers in the JL they are certainly cool!!! They make great stuff!!

fab

-fab5

Bass, an obsession or addiction?
post #8126 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab5valentine View Post

I don't know if folks really want to touch this one.. As the JL is an awesome sub.. Craigsubs rated it like this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768150 go down a bit and you'll see..

The Dynasty is rated up with the Ultra 13 with more output across the board.. If you can get a Dynasty in the house I don't think you'll regret it.. The boominess will be dependant on set-up, location and EQ.. The Dynasty has a very impressive flat responce and an upper end that is not sacrificed for the low end abilities.. But the JL is a monster sub for it size but as you push it hard it is cossed over to have a slight hump at mid upper bass FR's so when pushing it to near max level your low end is of coarse sacraficed..

Again for some this is the perfect sub, as they can't get dual Ultra 13's or Dynasty sized subs in the door.. WAF.. But if you could you would be matching and bettering the JL.. Even the Conquest had review of how punchy this thing is, and it's huge.. Very tight and haevy motors in these 18" drivers..

For me -my idea is going with dual Phoenix' should get very low responce into the low teens and an imprssive mid to top end, even past 80 hhrtz.. The output should exceed a Conquest.. My first Phoenix should be on the way in a few days.

RT gave me the best advice in this area and that was to call up Chad. -The late afternoon/early evenings is were I was able to reach him.. That guy is great to talk with as he knows a lot.. As you probably know from already owning an Epik.. The JL is an easy taget to go after as the price point is so high.. It appears to be able to be bested, but it's still a sweet sub.. Small, beatiful finish, self calibration etc... But tough to swallow at >$3K.. -Love those drivers in the JL they are certainly cool!!! They make great stuff!!

fab

Thanks for the opinion fab5. It was a great way to put things without turning it into a pissing contest. I love the JL's and they have done great by me over the last 2 years. What I'm actually thinking about doing is going with two Dynasty's for the LFE and keeping the JL's to blend with the mains. I have the Denon processor with 3 sub outputs that can be configured this way. I'll use a Y adaptor for the Dynasty's.
post #8127 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is it a 180 or 90 rotate

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16446936

post #8128 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 PM

Recieved my Sentinel today and just hooked it up. Going to see how it sounds in a little bit. One thing I noticed...the power cable fits very loose and will fall out very easily. Anyone else have this problem with one of theirs?
post #8129 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayhemNJ View Post

Recieved my Sentinel today and just hooked it up. Going to see how it sounds in a little bit. One thing I noticed...the power cable fits very loose and will fall out very easily. Anyone else have this problem with one of theirs?

Yeah, that's the way it is.
post #8130 of 20385 Old 07-08-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:

is it a 180 or 90 rotate

Thanks Gov, you saved me from having to find that post. Yea just take your driver out and rotate it so the cord is facing down and the slack isn't resting on the cone. That's what happened to my Phoenix. Only happened at high output volumes as well.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page