Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #8131 of 20380 Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yea, well this is a sealed dragon with no ports.......so how is this the same thing?

I turned the whole sub 90 degrees and it lessened the noise.

Getting 104 db peaks while watching Iron Man, at the seating position, with quiet scenes well under 60. Love the dynamic range of lossless audio...

I can def hear a difference between my ported and sealed sub at this point...the footsteps def sounded different as he was leaving the cave....

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8132 of 20380 Old 07-08-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX250F View Post

Thanks for the opinion fab5. It was a great way to put things without turning it into a pissing contest. I love the JL's and they have done great by me over the last 2 years. What I'm actually thinking about doing is going with two Dynasty's for the LFE and keeping the JL's to blend with the mains. I have the Denon processor with 3 sub outputs that can be configured this way. I'll use a Y adaptor for the Dynasty's.

I think that's a good idea. You love the SQ of the JL's and having them blend with your mains would give you an awesome front sound stage. Adding dual Dynasty's would grant you a ton more headroom for LFE, especially in the 15-30hz range. Movies will have no shortage of impact with that setup.

It's also a good idea so you can directly compare the F113 and the Dynasty. I know we'd all like a detailed review .
post #8133 of 20380 Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

y
Getting 104 db peaks while watching Iron Man, at the seating position, with quiet scenes well under 60. Love the dynamic range of lossless audio...

I can def hear a difference between my ported and sealed sub at this point...the footsteps def sounded different as he was leaving the cave....

I feel the same way, the sealed Dragon makes my floor shake.
post #8134 of 20380 Old 07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

yea, well this is a sealed dragon with no ports.......so how is this the same thing?

I may be misunderstanding your question, but I believe they were referring to taking the driver out and rotating it so the internal lead cables don't fall onto the driver when it is in its normal, upright position. The ports, or lack thereof, don't change that as the wiring would rub with or without them. Of course yours being a cube (IDK if you have feet on the sub) you could try flipping the sub upside down, but if the lead is too close to the driver, kinked up, misaligned, it may still hit the cone when it is starting to have decent excursion due to volume.

I may be off base to what you are asking, if so, I appologize.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8135 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 06:50 AM

What setting do you guys leave your subs on? Auto or On? Seems if I leave it on auto it takes a long time til it turns on. By the way, this sentinel is awesome. I didnt get to use it too much last night but I am very impressed with the sound. Another thing I was wondering...when I ran the auto mcacc on my reciever it set the sub level at -6.0....and reason why it would set the level so low?
post #8136 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I may be misunderstanding your question, but I believe they were referring to taking the driver out and rotating it so the internal lead cables don't fall onto the driver when it is in its normal, upright position. The ports, or lack thereof, don't change that as the wiring would rub with or without them. Of course yours being a cube (IDK if you have feet on the sub) you could try flipping the sub upside down, but if the lead is too close to the driver, kinked up, misaligned, it may still hit the cone when it is starting to have decent excursion due to volume.

The dragon is a cube with no feet. You can turn it any way you want. Just the knobs in the back will be upside down. You can always take out the amp and check inside.
post #8137 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Sorry for the confusion if any theelviscerator, I was referring to taking the driver out and rotating it or pulling the wire back so it doesn't tap on the driver itself. From chatting with Chad, the Driver is last to go in (or at least was) and the extra length on the cable can tend to get bunched up in the front of the box and rest on the driver. I experienced the rattling only with higher volumes. Now I don't experience it at all since I pulled it back from the driver. Hope this helps.
post #8138 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayhemNJ View Post

Recieved my Sentinel today and just hooked it up. Going to see how it sounds in a little bit. One thing I noticed...the power cable fits very loose and will fall out very easily. Anyone else have this problem with one of theirs?

Take some electrical tape and go around the end of the cable that plugs into the amp, this will make it fit snug.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #8139 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Take some electrical tape and go around the end of the cable that plugs into the amp, this will make it fit snug.

Good idea. Thanks
post #8140 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleATheater View Post

Sorry for the confusion if any theelviscerator, I was referring to taking the driver out and rotating it or pulling the wire back so it doesn't tap on the driver itself. From chatting with Chad, the Driver is last to go in (or at least was) and the extra length on the cable can tend to get bunched up in the front of the box and rest on the driver. I experienced the rattling only with higher volumes. Now I don't experience it at all since I pulled it back from the driver. Hope this helps.

Is it possible to buy a sub that JUST WORKS?

This is nuts....ok will pull the driver and see whats up with the wire..

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #8141 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Perhaps you just found the subs limits. Get another one.
post #8142 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:

For most people it just works, I was upset when it happened to me as well, but luckily it isn't a major issue. Chad said that between a little extra length on the cable, putting the driver in last, and shipping (bouncing around), sometimes the cable can end up resting on the driver. A fairly easy fix and you won't have to ship the whole thing back to Epik.
post #8143 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

What setting do you guys leave your subs on? Auto or On? Seems if I leave it on auto it takes a long time til it turns on. By the way, this sentinel is awesome. I didnt get to use it too much last night but I am very impressed with the sound. Another thing I was wondering...when I ran the auto mcacc on my reciever it set the sub level at -6.0....and reason why it would set the level so low?

I have mine set on Auto. Sometimes it seems like it will take a second or two to come on. I think it depends on the strengh of the signals that are sent to it. When you say long, do you mean more than a few seconds (less than 5).

Maybe your receiver set the level low because you have the gain too high on your sub. Most people have it set in the 10-12 o'clock position.

...and yes, the Sentinel is awesome. After reading one of mcjason's posts the other night about its subtlety and blending in, I turned it off while I had some music playing. The bass definitely fell out and it was very noticeable that something was missing, now that I've gotten used to hearing it. This was at a relatively low volume (-40), where sometimes it's not so obvious that it is working. At that level, even to the touch the vibrations are not that strong to let you know it is working.
post #8144 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have my Tower set between 10 and 11. Mcacc set my sub at -8 after auto setup. MCACC recommends a 75db for t he sub at the listening position. This was way too low for music in my opened space, and more so for movies at a listening position (LP) of 12 ft. An easy fix since you can manually change this in the audio setup menu to a level. I increase mines to 82db for music, and 80db for HT, with the other speakers at 75db (all measured initially with a Radioshack digital spl meter and noting the reciever incriments to get there).

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #8145 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I use the "auto-on" on my Phoenix. It works much better than my old HSU VTF3 MK3. I find that it is fairly sensitive and works quite well.
Before my HSU, I had a Mirage Omni-S12 and the "auto-on" work well on that one too.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #8146 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Have some patience You have a great subwoofer!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #8147 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I noticed that with mine also, doing REW sweeps mostly, during regular listening I probabaly wouldn't notice if I wasn't specifically listing for it. I don't think it's a sensitivity issue because it does come on at even the lowest volume levels. Just takes a few seconds to trip at first.

The -6 that MCACC set was so it would level match with the mains. No biggie I'd personally leave it but if you don't like the -6 reading for some reason you can lower the gain on the sub a little bit and then MCACC will set the sub level in the receiver a little higher to compensate.
post #8148 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Ok pulled the driver....looked like NO way the wire is touching....the poly fill was overstuffed it seemed, and maybe getting between the cone and basket, I removed a slight amount and tried to distribute it evenly yet not jam packed inside the cast frame area..

Everyting working great, but still getting that same pop/click during the opening of scene 2 Transformers...when the rotor bass hits for about 4 seconds of thump thump thump rotor wash..

The sub is calibrated using RS meter using test tone to be 3 db hotter then all other channels...

HKSVR try that scene will you with yours....and once again its loud but my system feels about 70 to 80 percent only...and still getting that click...

Ironhide flip scene didnt faze it a bit.

The 606 I have doesnt go by dB but around 50 and -4 to the sub...no sound..at 55...click....I normally can run up to 65 on the receiver before things go nutty....

O yea sub gain is set to about 11 on sub amp maybe less.

post #8149 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 03:34 PM

I just threw in the Dark Knight to see how the Sentinel sounds and I am in awe. I never thought it would sound this good. My whole friggin house shakes. Which scene is considered the pod scene in WOTW?
post #8150 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

I just threw in the Dark Knight to see how the Sentinel sounds and I am in awe. I never thought it would sound this good. My whole friggin house shakes. Which scene is considered the pod scene in WOTW?

nice, glad you like it. mine continues to impress me.

the pod scene everybody refers to is when they first come out of the ground in the very beginning. i think it's like the 4th or 5th scene. i was getting about 107-108db or so (uncorrected) in that scene and it didn't sound like it was really breaking a sweat. be careful at first, keep trying it louder and louder.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
post #8151 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Ok pulled the driver....looked like NO way the wire is touching....the poly fill was overstuffed it seemed, and maybe getting between the cone and basket, I removed a slight amount and tried to distribute it evenly yet not jam packed inside the cast frame area..

Everyting working great, but still getting that same pop/click during the opening of scene 2 Transformers...when the rotor bass hits for about 4 seconds of thump thump thump rotor wash..

The sub is calibrated using RS meter using test tone to be 3 db hotter then all other channels...

HKSVR try that scene will you with yours....and once again its loud but my system feels about 70 to 80 percent only...and still getting that click...

The 606 I have doesnt go by dB but around 50 and -4 to the sub...no sound..at 55...click....I normally can run up to 65 on the receiver before things go nutty....

Sorry to hear about the issues, it definitely sucks troubleshooting an issue on a brand new piece of equipment. Hopefully it is something that can get taken care of quickly/correctly/painlessly.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8152 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 113
Quote:

so, the RS meter was showing 78db? if that's the case then it is actually closer to 6db hot, not 3.

how big is your room?

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
post #8153 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

so, the RS meter was showing 78db? if that's the case then it is actually closer to 6db hot, not 3.

how big is your room?

I figure on a pink noise test tone. its pretty close....not exactly a 20 hz note...

the room is 2200 cu ft...small really...but with two openings....

the MFW did not have the same issue..

actually I calibrate to 70 since its straight up the meter.....sub running 72 73 ish on test tone from onkyo..

post #8154 of 20380 Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Chapter 5 at around 20min 50 sec.
post #8155 of 20380 Old 07-10-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:

Could it just be a bad sound bite on the disc?
post #8156 of 20380 Old 07-10-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:

How is the sound different? Do you like sealed sound better? Does it still have a good visceral feel? Sorry, so many questions.
post #8157 of 20380 Old 07-10-2009, 04:03 AM

Liked: 19
Is Elemental Designs A7-450 equivalent to Epik Dynasty, or is it more like the Conquest? i want to purchase the Conquest but they r not selling it @ this time, so i thought i would purchase a sub similar to it. thx
post #8158 of 20380 Old 07-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnocchi View Post

Could it just be a bad sound bite on the disc?

Nope, it doesnt happen at low to med levels..only med high levels..

post #8159 of 20380 Old 07-10-2009, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnocchi View Post

How is the sound different? Do you like sealed sound better? Does it still have a good visceral feel? Sorry, so many questions.

You can hear there is no overhang...more bang, less boom sounding...they do stop and start on a dime compared to ported...

post #8160 of 20380 Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 AM

thinking of getting the dynasty but placement must be on its side on carpet. does anyone think the carpet will get in the way of the grill?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page