post #8311 of 20368 Old 07-23-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantMore View Post

Yeah, duals are attractive and I am thinking of adding another Sentinel after Christmas. . .but I have also been thinking of moving the Sentinel to my bedroom music setup and stuffing a Pheonix or even a Dynasty in its place.

Do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8312 of 20368 Old 07-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by is250sp View Post

woohoo! got my shipping email notification today!

You lucky dog!
post #8313 of 20368 Old 07-23-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Yeah, duals are attractive and I am thinking of adding another Sentinel after Christmas. . .but I have also been thinking of moving the Sentinel to my bedroom music setup and stuffing a Pheonix or even a Dynasty in its place.

Sweet
post #8314 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Don't drink the Kool-aid! Look at all these positive Epik comments and almost never a complaint. . .sounds suspicious to me. . .

J/K. . .Looks like a suspiciously good line of Subs is all . . .

I'm a very happy customer (Sentinel) and follow this thread pretty much daily. . .It's good to see such an active thread with little to no drama. . .others could learn a thing or two. . .(. . .hopes he doesn't jinx things . . .)

This thread hasn't been without its share of drama. I had a few people hating on me for being too realistic with my opinions on this thread. I just don't state those anymore. Rule of thumb for the Epik thread: If it isn't positive, don't post it!
post #8315 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
SnowmanNick....as requested, these pics are for you. There's already some pics posted of the big ports on the bottom of the Phoenix, as well as the flush mounted amp....no need to add to that.

Couple of notes...
1. Until I saw the MFW and the Phoenix side-by-side, I could have sworn the Phoenix was bigger. A little wider, yes. But the MFW is taller.

2. Don't know if the pics show this, but the 18" driver in the Phoenix is much more robust (with a more robust rubber surround) than the driver in the MFW.

Just a couple of odd comments.....the 18" driver doesn't move as much as the 15" in the MFW, yet produces louder and lower (saw this with "Cloverfield" last night). The Phoenix does this effortlessly, too.

I was curious about hooking up the Phoenix directly to an outlet, without surge protection. E-mailed Epik. Here's Karen's reply...

"Everybody has opinions about surge protectors. It isn't a bad idea as long as it doesn't limit the power to the subwoofer.

I've never had a surge protector prevent a lightning strike from getting to my equipment, so I don't use them much anymore. If you can easily use one and it isn't expensive or difficult to install, it might be worth it.

Please let us know if you have any other questions and sorry for my delayed reply.

Enjoy your Phoenix!

All the best,

Karen"
LL
LL
LL

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #8316 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Couple more shots....
LL
LL

post #8317 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

This thread hasn't been without its share of drama. I had a few people hating on me for being too realistic with my opinions on this thread. I just don't state those anymore. Rule of thumb for the Epik thread: If it isn't positive, don't post it!

I don't remember that bit of drama, or anyone getting hostile, but this is a long thread, so I'm not doubting you. In any case, I'd say that the majority of owners have had no problems and are pretty well satisfied with their subs, myself included.

Of course you can't please all the people all the time, and there are definitely comparable subs that others have preferred over the Epiks. I don't think it can be denied that it's hard to go wrong with one of these Epik subs. To anyone on the fence, if you aren't satisfied with your purchase, I believe you do have 30 or 45 days to return it. Check the Epik website for details. Of course you will still be out shipping costs, which might not be negligible depending on which sub you shipped and your distance from Chicago. As with anything else, evaluate the product as best you can based on reviews and needs, and make your choice from there.

Bottom line, the water is warm, jump on in.
post #8318 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

SnowmanNick....as requested, these pics are for you. There's already some pics posted of the big ports on the bottom of the Phoenix, as well as the flush mounted amp....no need to add to that.

Couple of notes...
1. Until I saw the MFW and the Phoenix side-by-side, I could have sworn the Phoenix was bigger. A little wider, yes. But the MFW is taller.

2. Don't know if the pics show this, but the 18" driver in the Phoenix is much more robust (with a more robust rubber surround) than the driver in the MFW.

Just a couple of odd comments.....the 18" driver doesn't move as much as the 15" in the MFW, yet produces louder and lower (saw this with "Cloverfield" last night). The Phoenix does this effortlessly, too.

I was curious about hooking up the Phoenix directly to an outlet, without surge protection. E-mailed Epik. Here's Karen's reply...

"Everybody has opinions about surge protectors. It isn't a bad idea as long as it doesn't limit the power to the subwoofer.

I've never had a surge protector prevent a lightning strike from getting to my equipment, so I don't use them much anymore. If you can easily use one and it isn't expensive or difficult to install, it might be worth it.

Please let us know if you have any other questions and sorry for my delayed reply.

Enjoy your Phoenix!

All the best,

Karen"

Not too big of a deal if it is, but is that grill on the MFW crooked, or is that just the camera angle? I'm referring to the first picture, by the way.
post #8319 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
graphicguy, thanks for the photo's. They are petty close in overall size too each other based on those shots, I would have assumed the Epik to look....bigger, lol.

On a side note, I just wanted to post an interesting couple of driver size comparison shots. This is the Phoenix next to the MFW that graphicguy shared with us:

And this is an old photo of mine showing a SVS PB12-Plus (12.3)'s driver next to one of my old MFW's.

Of course it they are different angles and ratios but I thought it helped give a little scale to just how big that 18" driver is. The MFW's 15" seemed to dwarf the 12" er, that 18" bullies right over the 15".....it's BIG.

Thanks again for sharing those shots and your impressions.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8320 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

Not too big of a deal if it is, but is that grill on the MFW crooked, or is that just the camera angle? I'm referring to the first picture, by the way.

Sharp....the MFW grill is held on by magnets. I just slapped it on there and didn't take time to straighten it out before I shot the pics.

I had the MFW taken apart and hastily put it back together to take the pics. The grill can indeed be lined up to be straight, however. I just didn't take the time to do it.

post #8321 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It takes alot to move the surround. Although, I think it would move more in the sealed configuration. The MFW has a really nice finish.

I don't have a surge protector. I turn mine off evey night.
post #8322 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

graphicguy, thanks for the photo's. They are petty close in overall size too each other based on those shots, I would have assumed the Epik to look....bigger, lol.

On a side note, I just wanted to post an interesting couple of driver size comparison shots. This is the Phoenix next to the MFW that graphicguy shared with us:

And this is an old photo of mine showing a SVS PB12-Plus (12.3)'s driver next to one of my old MFW's.

Of course it they are different angles and ratios but I thought it helped give a little scale to just how big that 18" driver is. The MFW's 15" seemed to dwarf the 12" er, that 18" bullies right over the 15".....it's BIG.

Thanks again for sharing those shots and your impressions.

Nick....pics really don't convey how big the Phoenix 18" driver really is....Just like the MFW's 15" driver well overshadows the SVS 12" driver.

Obviously size isn't the only issue, but what can be done with that sort of "mass" in a driver. In that dept, Epik excells. Impressive what Chad's done in combining the "tightness" of a much smaller driver, with massive output and low end capabilities.

Even though the cabinet isn't small, it's also amazing how Chad did all that in a relatively compact enclosure.

post #8323 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

It takes alot to move the surround. Although, I think it would move more in the sealed configuration. The MFW has a really nice finish.

I don't have a surge protector. I turn mine off evey night.

hksvr......the MFW cabinets in the veneers (the one pictured is "Diamond Cherry") are indeed very nice. I'm awaiting a new MFW to replace the one in the picture. Everything went "kablooey" on it and MLS is supposed to be sending me a new one. Once that happens, it will take up residence in a 2nd HT room as an end table....the finish is that nice.

I doubt seriously I'll add any sort of surge protector to the Phoenix. I've never had one on any of my subs. And, I agree with Epik, no surge protector is going to stop a lightening strike.

That said, I leave my subs on "standby" all the time with no ill effects. I do, however, have all of my other electronics being fed into a Monster HT MASTER 3500 Mk II. It has indeed tripped a couple of times during bad storms. Did it same my equipment? I suppose so, as it all still works.

Would it still work without the HT MASTER? That, I don't know. I do know that none of those times did the surges have any ill-effect on my subwoofers, though.

post #8324 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
We get some decent lightning storms in the summer out here so I originally used a surge protector on my subs. A guy I know from work had a lighting strike near his house that took out all of his electronics (everything from the TV to the microwave). His TV, computer and audio equipment were all on decent surge protectors and the lightning just fried right though them like nothing. I suppose you could state the equipment protection guarantees associated with several of these may be beneficial, beyond that I don't think they will be much protection if something powerful comes down the wiring.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8325 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

We get some decent lightning storms in the summer out here so I originally used a surge protector on my subs. A guy I know from work had a lighting strike near his house that took out all of his electronics (everything from the TV to the microwave). His TV, computer and audio equipment were all on decent surge protectors and the lightning just fried right though them like nothing. I suppose you could state the equipment protection guarantees associated with several of these may be beneficial, beyond that I don't think they will be much protection if something powerful comes down the wiring.

I don't believe that a surge protector will protect against lightning. I worked for an insurance company adjusting claims for lighting damage and many times people would tell me that their surge protector didn't do any good.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #8326 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 03:21 PM

I just got my Sentinel yesterday! Just... awesome! This sub plays much bigger (lower?) than I anticipated. I can't really compare it to anything else since I've never owned a subwoofer before but this thing is just wonderful. I currently have it hooked up straight to the display so it's always on. At some point I'll pick up an AVR. I played some '300' and was grinning from ear to ear at how low it was able to reach. I was on the fence about 'Cloverfield' but after seeing it rated so high on the Master Bass List it seems like a must-get.

Some quick pics of my setup from my camera phone.
LL
LL
LL
post #8327 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 03:38 PM

Well....Pheonix #2 has arrived!! In about an hour Ill have the DUEL peonix set up and thumping!
post #8328 of 20368 Old 07-24-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

I don't believe that a surge protector will protect against lightning. I worked for an insurance company adjusting claims for lighting damage and many times people would tell me that their surge protector didn't do any good.

I believe that to be true as well. A guy I work with has tons of money invested in very expensive surge protectors (top of the line). House struck by lightning. Not a single surge protector worked to protect any of his electronics.
post #8329 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookfisher View Post

Well....Pheonix #2 has arrived!! In about an hour Ill have the DUEL peonix set up and thumping!

Er, um, ah...

DUEL = Pistols at 20 paces
DUAL = Two of something

The 2nd Amendment does NOT apply to arming subwoofers!

But seriously, as an owner of dual Towers, I'm sure you'll love your dual Phoenix setup (what the hell is the plural form of Phoenix anyway?). Enjoy!
post #8330 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snookfisher View Post

I'd be interested in hearing your impressions about the clean output capabilities of your dual Pheonix's. What is the volume of your room?
post #8331 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry523 View Post

Er, um, ah...

DUEL = Pistols at 20 paces
DUAL = Two of something

The 2nd Amendment does NOT apply to arming subwoofers!

But seriously, as an owner of dual Towers, I'm sure you'll love your dual Phoenix setup (what the hell is the plural form of Phoenix anyway?). Enjoy!

Phoenices

Matrix = Matrices...

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #8332 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

Phoenices

Matrix = Matrices...

Phoenii?

post #8333 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm usually not into doing waterfall graphs, nor sweeps of any kind and plotting them, other than for sub set-up.

However, since you guys "urged me" to give impressions, I wanted to see what the Phoenix was doing in the famous WOTW pod scene. My understanding is that this scene does, indeed, have some 10 Hz tones, I was wondering if the Phoenix hit those in my room. Now, I'm not sure exactly where those 10 Hz frequencies are. But, using the lowest tone I have in my tone arsenal (12 Hz), I'm getting appreciable output on the Phoenix at 12 Hz, in my room. Didn't expect that. Now, I need to find some lower test tones to see exactly how low I can go in my room.

My previous subs were HSU VTF2 and a HSU VTF3, and the MFW 15. None of those subs offered that....not close. Truth told, I'm noticing LFE with familiar sources that I never heard before, with any previous sub.

I've got subsonic material that I didn't even know existed.

post #8334 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleATheater View Post

I believe that to be true as well. A guy I work with has tons of money invested in very expensive surge protectors (top of the line). House struck by lightning. Not a single surge protector worked to protect any of his electronics.

I guess I wasted my money, glad to find out early, lot of lightening here in FL.
post #8335 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:

I'm usually not into doing waterfall graphs, nor sweeps of any kind and plotting them, other than for sub set-up.

However, since you guys "urged me" to give impressions, I wanted to see what the Phoenix was doing in the famous WOTW pod scene. My understanding is that this scene does, indeed, have some 10 Hz tones, I was wondering if the Phoenix hit those in my room. Now, I'm not sure exactly where those 10 Hz frequencies are. But, using the lowest tone I have in my tone arsenal (12 Hz), I'm getting appreciable output on the Phoenix at 12 Hz, in my room. Didn't expect that. Now, I need to find some lower test tones to see exactly how low I can go in my room.

My previous subs were HSU VTF2 and a HSU VTF3, and the MFW 15. None of those subs offered that....not close. Truth told, I'm noticing LFE with familiar sources that I never heard before, with any previous sub.

I've got subsonic material that I didn't even know existed.

Epic advertises 14hz or lower in room extension, smaller the room more extension, plus Chad at Epic said a corner position was best for max extension. Where did you find test tones as low as 14Hz? Glad to hear you are getting volume at 12hz. I'm sure you know the lower the bass the more volume required to feel it.

Hard to find anyone who is disappointed with his Epic sub.
post #8336 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizRod1 View Post

I guess I wasted my money, glad to find out early, lot of lightening here in FL.

Wrong if the house struck 4 doors down gets struck you should be ok.

There are thousands of line surges your equipment will face that it will help with.

Much as a crappy foxhole can save you from a 2000 lb bomb 50 yards away...while without it.....splat...

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #8337 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So how good is the Dynasty in the Epik line? I'm thinking of a pair of them for my dedicated theater. Is this the "top gun" of the line now that the Conquest is no longer available?
post #8338 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 06:24 PM

I just order the dragon, now the hard part. WAITING!
post #8339 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

So how good is the Dynasty in the Epik line? I'm thinking of a pair of them for my dedicated theater. Is this the "top gun" of the line now that the Conquest is no longer available?

Conquest says out of stock on their website. Whats the deal with this freekin subwoofer. I want another one but I keep hearing that the overall availability of this thing is up in the air. I say take the damn sub off your site if your not going to make it anymore. This waiting is driving me crazy. I'm about ditch Epik and move on.
post #8340 of 20368 Old 07-25-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisernaut View Post

I just order the dragon, now the hard part. WAITING!

It's worth the wait.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page