post #8341 of 20368 Old 07-26-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizRod1 View Post

Epic advertises 14hz or lower in room extension, smaller the room more extension, plus Chad at Epic said a corner position was best for max extension. Where did you find test tones as low as 14Hz? Glad to hear you are getting volume at 12hz. I'm sure you know the lower the bass the more volume required to feel it.

Hard to find anyone who is disappointed with his Epic sub.

Griz...actually, someone here at AVS sent numerous Hz tones to me a long while ago. I can't remember who it was, though.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8342 of 20368 Old 07-26-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post

Conquest says out of stock on their website. Whats the deal with this freekin subwoofer. I want another one but I keep hearing that the overall availability of this thing is up in the air. I say take the damn sub off your site if your not going to make it anymore. This waiting is driving me crazy. I'm about ditch Epik and move on.

In my conversations with both Karen and Chad, I'm not so certain they have the bandwidth to make the Conquest right now. Sounds like they're busy enough with the current 5 models they offer. I do think Chad's leaving open that possibility, however.

Then again, I'm speculating based on merely the times I've talked to them.

post #8343 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizRod1 View Post

Epic advertises 14hz or lower in room extension, smaller the room more extension, plus Chad at Epic said a corner position was best for max extension. Where did you find test tones as low as 14Hz? Glad to hear you are getting volume at 12hz. I'm sure you know the lower the bass the more volume required to feel it.

Hard to find anyone who is disappointed with his Epic sub.

I used these test tones with my Conquest and they worked great. They start at 10hz and go up 1hz at a time and are broken down to 10hz tracks (10-19hz track1, 20-29hz track 2, etc). Plus its free, which is nice.

http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

Have fun as at 10hz I felt like I was about to have an Alien pop out of my stomach as I was sitting right in front of the Conquest. Also get something you can use to fix ALL the stuff that vibrates/rattles as this will be very obvious during these tests( got my wife off my butt too).

Enjoy!!
post #8344 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON IN II View Post

I used these test tones with my Conquest and they worked great. They start at 10hz and go up 1hz at a time and are broken down to 10hz tracks (10-19hz track1, 20-29hz track 2, etc). Plus its free, which is nice.

Have fun as at 10hz I felt like I was about to have an Alien pop out of my stomach as I was sitting right in front of the Conquest. Also get something you can use to fix ALL the stuff that vibrates/rattles as this will be very obvious during these tests( got my wife off my butt too).

Enjoy!!

II, the feeling you describe regarding 10 Hz (actually, anything I measured below 20 Hz) gave me the same feeling. You feel it in your stomach, more than you can hear it. I experienced the same "pictures rattling" with those tones. I ended up going to a fabric store and bought felt. I cut it into small pieces and glued it to the edges of my pictures to keep that from happening.

Nice find on the test tones.

post #8345 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a try, but I don't think my Phoenix will reach that low with adequate volume to feel it. Last I heard Chad wanted use some different internal component, or components, I think he said the amp. for the Conquest and was trying to work that out, but don't quote me.
post #8346 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post

Conquest says out of stock on their website. Whats the deal with this freekin subwoofer. I want another one but I keep hearing that the overall availability of this thing is up in the air. I say take the damn sub off your site if your not going to make it anymore. This waiting is driving me crazy. I'm about ditch Epik and move on.

Call Epic and talk to Chad, he will give you the skinny on the Conquest. If you have to leave a message he will call you back, at least that's been my experience.
post #8347 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

Wrong if the house struck 4 doors down gets struck you should be ok.

There are thousands of line surges your equipment will face that it will help with.

Much as a crappy foxhole can save you from a 2000 lb bomb 50 yards away...while without it.....splat...

Thanks for that information.
post #8348 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 AM

got my phoenix today. testing some rap music....this thing hits hard! i am coming from a sunfire true sub and i thought that little sucker hits hard. the phoenix absolutely kills it. i am finding myself turning up the gain just to see how much this thing can dish out (hey chad say to beat the sh#t out of it so i must comply). so far i got it at 3 pm and my head hurts lol. attach is a side-by-side pic of my soon to be for sale sunfire. sorry for the crappy iphone pic
LL
post #8349 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by is250sp View Post

got my phoenix today. testing some rap music....this thing hits hard! i am coming from a sunfire true sub and i thought that little sucker hits hard. the phoenix absolutely kills it. i am finding myself turning up the gain just to see how much this thing can dish out (hey chad say to beat the sh#t out of it so i must comply). so far i got it at 3 pm and my head hurts lol. attach is a side-by-side pic of my soon to be for sale sunfire. sorry for the crappy iphone pic

the sunfire is just a little baby when sitting next to it.

glad ya like the phoenix.

Nearfield music: Laptop w/REW & Equalizer APO -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2

H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel

My last.fm profile

post #8350 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

awwww.....look at the cute little baby sub :P . Thanks for ur feedback. When did you order?

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #8351 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

awwww.....look at the cute little baby sub :P . Thanks for ur feedback. When did you order?

ordered on july 14 which means i got it in less than 2 weeks
post #8352 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

niiice. processing times are still pretty good.

post #8353 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got a phoenix on the way also....looks like the phoenix had a baby sub!

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #8354 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

LOL, talk about an extreme makeover!
post #8355 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 PM

I also have a Phoenix ordered and on the way. Looks like this is the most popular Epik sub at the moment!!
post #8356 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb450r View Post

I also have a Phoenix ordered and on the way. Looks like this is the most popular Epik sub at the moment!!

looks that way.

Nearfield music: Laptop w/REW & Equalizer APO -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2

H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel

My last.fm profile

post #8357 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
No love for the Dragon..lol
post #8358 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

"when I grow up, I wanna be this big".

post #8359 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

No love for the Dragon..lol

Dragon is a great sub, by itself I found it just a tad lacking down low, with my MFW working the two of them work the room nicely.

But I guess my taste runs to HT more then music in the end...

So does someone here have dual phoenix yet in a small room? ( ultimate goal...)..

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #8360 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Enjoy!!

Various noise as well as tones in 1 Hz increments down to 5 Hz.

Test Tones

John
post #8361 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

Various noise as well as tones in 1 Hz increments down to 5 Hz.

Test Tones

John

John,

Nice. I can't wait to try it with my Conquest and see how low it can go.

Its killing me that the Conquest is still not available as I finally got wifey to let me get a second for my B-day.

I'll have to call Chad and see whats up as I NEED my second Conquest.

Maybe I'll start a home demo company with 2 Conquests.

Great posts as usual and I really enjoy all the "Newbie" stories as it brings me back to when I first got my Conquest, hooked it up and had my real sub cherry popped and the grin that hasn't left my face yet.

Keep them coming, also some of the posts about moving the subs around-get some of those furniture disc's and your sub will slide on carpet, tile and wood floors without any damage to them and its very easy to move around with those.
post #8362 of 20368 Old 07-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

John,

Nice. I can't wait to try it with my Conquest and see how low it can go.

Its killing me that the Conquest is still not available as I finally got wifey to let me get a second for my B-day.

I'll have to call Chad and see whats up as I NEED my second Conquest.

Maybe I'll start a home demo company with 2 Conquests.

Great posts as usual and I really enjoy all the "Newbie" stories as it brings me back to when I first got my Conquest, hooked it up and had my real sub cherry popped and the grin that hasn't left my face yet.

Keep them coming, also some of the posts about moving the subs around-get some of those furniture disc's and your sub will slide on carpet, tile and wood floors without any damage to them and its very easy to move around with those.

Be careful those tones are recorded loud at 0dB.

I never thought about using furniture moving discs under my Conquests. I will have to give that a try.

John
post #8363 of 20368 Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Just out of interest what epik subs compares to a SVS PB13 ultra?

cheers

Graham
post #8364 of 20368 Old 07-28-2009, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post

Just out of interest what epik subs compares to a SVS PB13 ultra?

cheers

Graham

good question. i'd have to say output wise that the 18" Phoenix should have it beat, but the Ultra should beat the Sentinel. so i'd have to guess the ultra would be somewhere between the two.

maybe the Dragon is closest.

My last.fm profile

post #8365 of 20368 Old 07-28-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

good question. i'd have to say output wise that the 18" Phoenix should have it beat, but the Ultra should beat the Sentinel. so i'd have to guess the ultra would be somewhere between the two.

maybe the Dragon is closest.

I agree, the Dragon is the closet to the Ultra13. I was actually doing a comparision with the charts. With the Ultra sealed, the Dragon has it. In 20hz, 15hz, or lower, the Ultra does better. I think the Phoenix is more comparable to the Ultra in ported mode.
post #8366 of 20368 Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Per several postings regarding this question being discussed with Chad, the Ultra falls between the Phoenix and the Dynasty in overall output.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8367 of 20368 Old 07-28-2009, 09:48 AM

theelviscerator........I have my duel Pheonix set up up and running. Lets just say my bass needs have been met...PERIOD. My room is a dedicated 17.5 x 19.5 theater room. I havent even "dialed" them in very well yet. All ive done so far is place them on the inside of my mains and set levels. I havent tried facing them different ways or different placement ect. and they are SWEET! On Jeff Becks live at ronnie scotts bluray the kick drum hits me square in the chest to the point that it will startle you. On concert discs the bass lines and kick drums are ABSOLUTLY life like. On movies the thing that struck me most (aside from the obvious bone jarring LOW LOW stuff) is how much more lifelike gunshots are ...whether its the shotgun scene in Ratatoulie(sp?) or the pistol w/silencer scene in lucky #sleven....It FEELS like the guns are IN the room going off. Of coarse the pod scene in WOTHW and others stuff like that is ...well...incredible. The scotch in my cup holder actually had the ripples on the surface (like the footsteps in jurasic park)!!!

With critical recorded music listening I had to turn the bass levels down a bit...what i ended up doing for music was sealing one and turning the other off. This sounded GREAT with music. The duel set up did increace the overall output..but the biggest improvement was "smoothing" out the room. I HIGHLY recomend DUELS if you can do it.
post #8368 of 20368 Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 AM

OOPS I did it again...Replace "duel w dual above!!
post #8369 of 20368 Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookfisher View Post

theelviscerator........I have my duel Pheonix set up up and running. Lets just say my bass needs have been met...PERIOD. My room is a dedicated 17.5 x 19.5 theater room. I havent even "dialed" them in very well yet. All ive done so far is place them on the inside of my mains and set levels. I havent tried facing them different ways or different placement ect. and they are SWEET! On Jeff Becks live at ronnie scotts bluray the kick drum hits me square in the chest to the point that it will startle you. On concert discs the bass lines and kick drums are ABSOLUTLY life like. On movies the thing that struck me most (aside from the obvious bone jarring LOW LOW stuff) is how much more lifelike gunshots are ...whether its the shotgun scene in Ratatoulie(sp?) or the pistol w/silencer scene in lucky #sleven....It FEELS like the guns are IN the room going off. Of coarse the pod scene in WOTHW and others stuff like that is ...well...incredible. The scotch in my cup holder actually had the ripples on the surface (like the footsteps in jurasic park)!!!

With critical recorded music listening I had to turn the bass levels down a bit...what i ended up doing for music was sealing one and turning the other off. This sounded GREAT with music. The duel set up did increace the overall output..but the biggest improvement was "smoothing" out the room. I HIGHLY recomend DUELS if you can do it.

must be nice. i can't wait to get my hands on a second Sentinel.

My last.fm profile

post #8370 of 20368 Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Per several postings regarding this question being discussed with Chad, the Ultra falls between the Phoenix and the Dynasty in overall output.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Dynasty? I'm very interested in a pair of these to take the place of my Klipsch THX Ultra 2 subs. Would I notice an improvement?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page