Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2007, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Chad, one quick item. I received my Caliber about a week and a half ago in the "classic" finish and the only negative thing I can say is that the LED was too bright for a light-controlled HT. I had to cover it, so you might want to see if you can get a dimmer one. Otherwise, it looks and sounds great. Thanks for a quality product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

Anyone have a Caliber yet?

Yes, but after only a week and a half, I'm still just getting into it. So far it sounds great and blends in very well, but I've got a lot of listening to do. It's in a 2,700 cu.ft dedicated HT in my basement. Currently running at about 35% volume and I usually watch movies at about -8 on my Denon AVR-1906. I could definitely feel 17.5 Hz via test tones (couldn't hear it) at pretty low volume.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorCorps View Post

Yes, but after only a week and a half, I'm still just getting into it. So far it sounds great and blends in very well, but I've got a lot of listening to do. It's in a 2,700 cu.ft dedicated HT in my basement. Currently running at about 35% volume and I usually watch movies at about -8 on my Denon AVR-1906. I could definitely feel 17.5 Hz via test tones (couldn't hear it) at pretty low volume.

I am interested in the sub as well. Please share how low the extension goes and the ouput it does it. Thanks in advance!

Micah
Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Chad,

I have noticed that the Knight/Castle and Caliber/Tower have the same box dimensions and I assume the same internal bracing. Is the Castle and Tower just more output than their respective twin (Knight/Caliber) and maybe tighter sounding as well but similar frequency responses? I am interest in the max output in the 10-35hz range for these 4 subs to see how they compare and what each incremental upgrade is providing. I am currently a SVS PB10 owner but could be enticed to upgrade.

Micah
Old 10-11-2007, 11:08 PM

Liked: 30
If dual PB10's=single Valor...

..Mine.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:23 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPagoulatos View Post

Whoa- 2 of them? Is that for Radio City Music Hall?

It probably won't make much difference in output or response. But if you spaced them on opposite sides behind the screen wall, that would make more of a difference.

What does your room look like- size, etc.?

i'm not sure about radio city but this is what madison square garden has

"Equally as proud of its part in the new sound system at Madison Square Garden is BAG END Loudspeaker Systems of Barrington, IL A total of 16 BAG END QUARTZ quad-18 loudspeaker systems supply the bass for the new sound system. That's 64 18-inch subwoofer speakers providing the foundation for the sound that fills the arena."

http://www.bagend.com/bagend/madison.htm

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

that would be a pretty substantial feat considering they are only $130 price difference. and the pb10 is ported.. I doubt the valor will be as loud as 2 pb10's but its possible. I know there is someone that posted on this thread who had a valor but havent heard anything for awhile from him.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Kuypers View Post

You will want to wait and see something else first before you make your final decision on that sealed 12. Wait until next week's blog update...

By the way, that is the best screen name I think I've ever seen. My name feels so lame next to Admiral Ackbar.

"Our cruisers can't repel firepower of that magnitude!!"

(I had to sneak in a quote too...)

I'll wait for three reasons:

I'm from Illinois (lots of friends up in Crystal Lake), damn shame about the Cubs
That's my favorite Admiral Ackbar quote
I'm vain and you complimented me
Old 10-12-2007, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolfe38 View Post

that would be a pretty substantial feat considering they are only $130 price difference. and the pb10 is ported.. I doubt the valor will be as loud as 2 pb10's but its possible. I know there is someone that posted on this thread who had a valor but havent heard anything for awhile from him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Valor is twice as loud as the PB10 at least in the upper frequency range. In outdoor measurements the PB10 seems to top out around 105dB.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah3sixty View Post

I am interested in the sub as well. Please share how low the extension goes and the ouput it does it. Thanks in advance!

Sorry, but no SPL meter. I do plan on replacing several speaker cables this weekend though, so I'll have all the speakers unplugged except the sub and can play with the test tones again at higher volume. I'll forward what results I get "by ear" and "by rumble", but obviously without a meter it won't be close to an exact science. It's currently sitting just "outside" my mains in the front right corner of the room a couple of feet out from the corner facing generally toward the center of the back wall (room is 18.5' L x 17' W) with 96 sq.ft of Sonex One acoustic panels (1" black w/ "hypalon" coating) to tame the mid/high echoes, but no bass traps.

Then I'm thinking perhaps some Star Wars this weekend!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjago View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the Valor is twice as loud as the PB10 at least in the upper frequency range. In outdoor measurements the PB10 seems to top out around 105dB.

Are you guys freaking serious?!?! Twice as loud? Come on now. It my be louder but I doubt twice as loud. The PB10 is a great sub. If the Valor can go lower louder and deeper thant the PB10 with it being more musical and accurate, sign me up. I really want the Conquest but can't afford the price on it right now but want a great sub now while I save for the bigger ones.

I'm your Huckleberry
Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Whoa- 2 of them? Is that for Radio City Music Hall?

It probably won't make much difference in output or response. But if you spaced them on opposite sides behind the screen wall, that would make more of a difference.

What does your room look like- size, etc.?

The room is a dedicated carpeted theater room 18w x 20d x 11h. 100% movies, no music. Will probably have some sort of room treatments, but I have not finished working that out yet.

It will probably be two Conquests or two a7-900s, but I have not seen any head-to-heads yet between the two, so I have not yet decided. I had been thinking about a Danley DTS-20 for the longest time, but now I am fixed on 18" drivers.

-David
Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM

I haven't seen an A7-900 in person (not many have), but I can vouch for the sound and build quality of the Conquest. If that is an enclosed space- it is just under 4000 cu ft. by my calculation- 1 Conquest will be jaw dropping. Not sure if you "need" 2 of them...but sometimes needs got nothing to do with it.

-Dennis
Old 10-12-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you guys freaking serious?!?! Twice as loud? Come on now. It my be louder but I doubt twice as loud. The PB10 is a great sub. If the Valor can go lower louder and deeper thant the PB10 with it being more musical and accurate, sign me up. I really want the Conquest but can't afford the price on it right now but want a great sub now while I save for the bigger ones.

Yes I am serious. What I mean by twice as loud is that it would be equivalent to having two PB10s. Not that it will be perceived as twice as loud by your ears, which requires an increase of 10dB.

As I said, the PB10 tops out around 105dB. The HSU VTF-3 MK3 can hit 111dB in the upper bass. So that is about equal to two PB10s in the upper bass.

The PB10 is a great sub for the price, I used to own one.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Well I just spoke with Chad himself. Great, great guy and very passionate about what he does. Was a nice conversation. Anyway, I really asked him a lot of questions in specific to the Valor and Caliber, both are very reasonably priced. I asked him about sound quality between the two and was told there is really no difference in sound quality between the ported Caliber and the sealed Valor. But that output and extension would be a lot more on the Caliber due to the size of the box and the 6 inch port. So I am sold on the Caliber. I will be placing an order for it next Friday. As always, I will report back with my impressions.

I'm your Huckleberry
Old 10-12-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I just spoke with Chad himself. Anyway, I really asked him a lot of questions in specific to the Valor and Caliber...

Did he mention anything about the upcoming sealed sub(s)?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

I didn't really get into too much about upcoming products.

I'm your Huckleberry
Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Well I just spoke with Chad himself. Great, great guy and very passionate about what he does. Was a nice conversation. Anyway, I really asked him a lot of questions in specific to the Valor and Caliber, both are very reasonably priced. I asked him about sound quality between the two and was told there is really no difference in sound quality between the ported Caliber and the sealed Valor. But that output and extension would be a lot more on the Caliber due to the size of the box and the 6 inch port. So I am sold on the Caliber. I will be placing an order for it next Friday. As always, I will report back with my impressions.

Jeffrey are you giving up on your A5-350 already? Did it not meet your expectations?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningstar67 View Post

Jeffrey are you giving up on your A5-350 already? Did it not meet your expectations?

I was hoping someone wouldn't realize that I had the A5-350.

It was a great sub. Best sub I have had in my house other than the new SVS Ultra. I think that is what tainted my experience with the A5-350. If I wouldn't have listened to the SVS at the same time of have ing the A5-350, I would have been totally fine with the A5-350. But now I just want the best, whether that be the SVS, Conquest or the eD a7-900, I want the best. But I need a sub in the meantime. I already sold my SVS PB10-NSD because of buying the eD. So now I need to pick up another sub at a good price, while I save enough money for the bigger ones. What the heck, I haven't tried Epik yet so I will give them a shot.

I'm your Huckleberry
Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I wouldn't have listened to the SVS at the same time of have ing the A5-350, I would have been totally fine with the A5-350.

Always the case until a direct comparison to something better is done......many people think they have something great and just stop......then go on and on about not being able to imagine anything better. Keep comparing and you'll be amazed at the quality of products out there.

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
Old 10-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

if you still have the ed-350 you should just stay with that until you can afford a conquest or the a7-900. The upgrade you are getting now may not be as much of an improvement as you would want. I'm not saying they have the same exact amount of output but i bet they are within 3db of each other.. maybe closer than that. You've already demonstrated that you have upgraditis, and buying something one notch better certainly won't fix that.. I'd say save for conquest or perhaps wait awhile for some good comparison between the new top guns including the ed a7-900, conquest, submersive, bmf.. etc.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:

I was hoping someone wouldn't realize that I had the A5-350.

LOL...sorry I outed you. It's just that my A5-350 is being delivered next week and I bought it sight unseen/unheard so there's some level of anxiety about whether I made a good decision there. Hard to pass up for $600 delivered, however.

Quote:

if you still have the ed-350 you should just stay with that until you can afford a conquest or the a7-900. The upgrade you are getting now may not be as much of an improvement as you would want. I'm not saying they have the same exact amount of output but i bet they are within 3db of each other.. maybe closer than that. You've already demonstrated that you have upgraditis, and buying something one notch better certainly won't fix that.. I'd say save for conquest or perhaps wait awhile for some good comparison between the new top guns including the ed a7-900, conquest, submersive, bmf.. etc.

I agree with this, and likely the path I will take...that's what is so frustrating/fun about this hobby. It's like chasing down that perfect shot in golf. I've gone from a 10" Def Tech, to a 13" F113 and now a 15" eD. I suppose the next "logical" step would be one of the new 18" monsters . My wife has been surprisingly understanding, although she might draw the line at a conquest/A7-900 size box
Old 10-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

you went from the jlf113 to an eD 350??
How did that turn out?
Old 10-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Okay here we go...here are some Conquest pictures...

-Dennis
Old 10-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:

you went from the jlf113 to an eD 350??
How did that turn out?

I don't have the eD yet. Should be delivered next week.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay here we go...here are some Conquest pictures...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... that thing is just HUGE.

Is that a Rocket 850 speaker next to the Conquest? If so, would you mind posting a pic that shows the entire 850 in the shot? I'd like to get a better perspective comparison between the two. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Great pics Dennis and very nice setup...that driver scares the crap out of me

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

It scares the crap out of me also.. I was just telling someone the other day how i may own a conquest, but the conquest owns my room.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:30 PM

Liked: 30
I really would like to see a Valor tested on the bench. I think it's about time now that we get some feedback.

Please.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:11 PM

Well, today was "move my Caliber all around the room and play test tones day". The room was quite a challenge at first. The normal sub placement positions (front corner, front between center and mains) weren't working out due to room acoustics. The room is 18.5' L x 17' W x 9' H (except for a soffet for A/C ductwork around the ceiling perimeter). If my seating position was on a one foot riser, those positions would have worked out, but I seemed to be in a bit of a dead spot. I tried upside down, on it's side, facing sideways, at angles, etc and those positions just didn't work out.

The final (for now) position is by the left wall a little bit forward of seating position facing the front wall angled a bit toward center. The sound is pretty uniform throughout the room in that position. I tried it behind me on the back wall in a couple of different positions and it sounded great, but I was able to localize the sound a bit too much, so went back to the left wall arrangement.

As far as frequencies, I kept cycling through tones from 15Hz up through 80Hz in all positions. I don't have an SPL meter, but definitely everything from 45-80Hz was flat (within a few db). My room really liked 35Hz (and 40Hz not quite as much) in every location. It may have been room resonance, or it may just have been that at that frequency the sound and vibrations had more impact to me.

For those interested in the bottom end, the Caliber easily and steadily rumbled the walls at 17.5Hz (and above obviously). There was some movement at 15Hz, but it was well reduced from 17.5Hz which seemed about the same as from 20Hz on up (slight variations due to room resonance aside).

One other item people may have been curious about:
The packaging for the Caliber (and I assume other non-Conquest subs) is not palletized or crated. It is a standard heavy gauge cardboard box with strong foam corner and edge protection. Mine arrived in perfect condition (it's probably harder for the shippers to damage boxes that they can't pick up (I think shipping weight was 125 lbs).

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer