post #61 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

The finish doesn't seem to look as nice as the SVS subs.

Is that true, or is it a bad pic?

oh that was a prototype from a WHILE back....the veneering is completely different now. This pic was the only one I've been able to dig up to show some of the internals. Even the bracing and internals have changed a bit I believe. the front baffle has double MDF, etc.

the veneering finish is more like this now:

wish we could see more info on this.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I hate to jump in to this mess but I just can't resist...

Iggster ...... Do you have any idea who the folks are behind this new Epik product line?

I don't question you or your friends history on the db circuit and their ability to design/build a sub box, however I suggest you do a little research on the "other" Chad that's the father of these Epik subwoofers.

I think the "other" Chad's history speaks for itself..... He's a legend in the car audio AND in general driver design as well. This isn't just a matter of knowing how to implement a product.. It's a matter of knowing how to design a product drivers and all. Ahh well I think the history stands for itself... I'll let you look into it.
post #63 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Uggh, I don't like that black on top.
post #64 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The finish doesn't seem to look as nice as the SVS subs.

Is that true, or is it a bad pic?

looks like the pictures are crappy but dam only single mdf layer on the face wow. and look at the overkill in bracing. Could of helped output if he would of went 2,3 mdf sheets and had less bracing but then the box would need to be bigger and heavier,
post #65 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think it looks pretty good myself. The veneer itself looks extremely close to the AV15 I built:

compared to the SVS rosewood finish:

oh wait...I was supposed to be the one who only had experience with building 4 ugly towers
post #66 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post

I think the "other" Chad's history speaks for itself..... He's a legend in the car audio AND in general driver design as well. This isn't just a matter of knowing how to implement a product.. It's a matter of knowing how to design a product drivers and all. Ahh well I think the history stands for itself... I'll let you look into it.

No I don't doubt he has the skills to build something probably better then what I have but it doesn't make business sense to put hours in each box. I can tell you that just by him routing off all the sharp edges in the bracing will help output but thats more cost that in the end goes the consumer or that he would have to eat.

Its a very nice design, its very similar to mines. That is why it caught my attention. IMO It is gonna give other sub manufactures a run for their money and I cant wait to see some test results.
post #67 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Sherv, do you know if they are building the cabinets in-house, or contracted out?

I actually like the black-top on the veneer.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #68 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Sherv, do you know if they are building the cabinets in-house, or contracted out?

dunno to be honest....but I've heard rumors that EVERYTHING is done in-house, CNC machined and all, a la JL audio.........but honestly, Chad himself would have to answer that. Hopefully he can chime in at some point.

ditto on the black-top. I love it....very nice touch. I should have done something like that with previous boxes I built. now I know for the next set of Quad Sealed..............hhmmmm:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=911
post #69 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Iggster, if we all give you credit for inventing the concept of having both a forward firing driver and forward firing ports in a subwoofer (even though JBL had one in the 1970's), will you get your homework done and eat all your vegetables ?
post #70 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Iggster, if we all give you credit for inventing the concept of having both a forward firing driver and forward firing ports in a subwoofer (even though JBL had one in the 1970's), will you get your homework done and eat all your vegetables ?

So do you think thats all their is to a box? wow no wonder you buy the "prefab" box's instead of diy

Reminds me of the guy who is scratching his head and calling his friends complaining that his jl setup just got beat by 20db at the car show by an unknown brand and he doesn't understand why if its "just a box with ports firing back" lol
post #71 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Wow, Iggster you are really making yourself look like a fool. And you think that ssabripo has reading comprehension problems? Craigsub was commenting on how you said Epik copied your design just because they both have a front firing driver to and two front firing ports.
post #72 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjago View Post

Wow, Iggster you are really making yourself look like a fool.

Well you know the saying....
post #73 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

So do you think thats all their is to a box? wow no wonder you buy the "prefab" box's instead of diy

Reminds me of the guy who is scratching his head and calling his friends complaining that his jl setup just got beat by 20db at the car show by an unknown brand and he doesn't understand why if its "just a box with ports firing back" lol

Ok, Mr. Wizard ... Let us delve into this, using the "World according to Iggster" model of logic.

Before we do, let us review some basic English. The word is not "their", it is "there". Sentences start with capitol letters. And as I have not met this mythical creature who is calling his friends about why his JL audio subwoofer "got beat" (the correct wording is "was beaten") by 20 dB, would you please stick to reality ?

You see a picture of a subwoofer showing driver, ports, and box, and declare it looks a lot like your "own design".

On what premise outside those superficial items had you based your assertion that their design was a lot like yours ?
post #74 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

guys.....just stop feeding the troll, and he'll go away. Last thing we need is for this thread to get locked because of one ignoramus.
post #75 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Ok, Mr. Wizard ... Let us delve into this, using the "World according to Iggster" model of logic.

Before we do, let us review some basic English. The word is not "their", it is "there". Sentences start with capitol letters. And as I have not met this mythical creature who is calling his friends about why his JL audio subwoofer "got beat" (the correct wording is "was beaten") by 20 dB, would you please stick to reality ?

You see a picture of a subwoofer showing driver, ports, and box, and declare it looks a lot like your "own design".

On what premise outside those superficial items had you based your assertion that their design was a lot like yours ?

Wow I didn't know this was an english only forum. English is a second language to me.

BTW go to a car show one day, well hit dbdrag world finals You will not see a single jl sub win anything. They have other classes that are not spl only and even then they wont win anything lol....

Here is a list of locations maybe you will wake up after hitting one.

http://www.termpro.com/asp/eventschedule1.asp

http://www.termpro.com/asp/members2....&MemberID=9639

http://www.termpro.com/asp/members2....&MemberID=9638

http://www.termpro.com/asp/members2....&MemberID=9637

About the design I said it joking at first....

But I bet if I would of built my box after the epik was announced I would of been called on for "copying the design" Hypocrisy at its best..
post #76 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

guys.....just stop feeding the troll, and he'll go away. Last thing we need is for this thread to get locked because of one ignoramus.

Only one that will cause this topic to get locked is another member breaking the rules, and calling another member a troll is one of them...
post #77 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread was rather interesting. New manufacturer, some cool looking boxes and then the manhoods start to swell. Can we just chill out and enjoy this thread and the new info that Sherv is providing without the bickering? You guys are smarter then this. I know it!!

Charles

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #78 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

This thread was rather interesting. New manufacturer, some cool looking boxes and then the manhoods start to swell. Can we just chill out and enjoy this thread and the new info that Sherv is providing without the bickering? You guys are smarter then this. I know it!!

Charles

I will admit I have gotten out of hand, I will stop.

Now can someone just post more pictures and possibly some more specs/pictures of the drivers
post #79 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

Wow I didn't know this was an english only forum. English is a second language to me.

BTW go to a car show one day, well hit dbdrag world finals You will not see a single jl sub win anything. They have other classes that are not spl only and even then they wont win anything lol....

Here is a list of locations maybe you will wake up after hitting one.

http://www.termpro.com/asp/eventschedule1.asp

http://www.termpro.com/asp/members2....&MemberID=9639

http://www.termpro.com/asp/members2....&MemberID=9638

http://www.termpro.com/asp/members2....&MemberID=9637

About the design I said it joking at first....

But I bet if I would of built my box after the epik was announced I would of been called on for "copying the design" Hypocrisy at its best..

I don't care if JL has won one or not. It is irrelevant to me. I have no idea why you keep bringing up JL.

Iggster, no one would have cared about your "design", either. No one would have said you copied Epik's.

Legacy Audio had a powered subwoofer using a front loaded driver and dual front loaded ports in 1985. If you will note, no one said you copied JBL's nor Legacy's work of 20-30 years ago.

You built a competent looking subwoofer. I hope you love it.
post #80 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Chad has a "really" nice CNC machine (actually, it might be a couple now) and is making the prototypes and if I understood him correctly - the final versions as well.

We need to remember that Chad has a business partner in another venture (Scott Atwell - Fi/Ascendent) who can be ranked with the best driver designers. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that Scott is making the drivers for Epik.

In talking with Chad, he seems to have everything planned well for this launch (in-house manuf., plenty of parts, construction/warehouse space, professional review forthcoming, website updates, etc.) The breadth of his product line will be as impressive as the cost/performance and prices.

JP
post #81 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't really tell from the pics, but is that black top on the Rosenut veneer sub textured and not gloss? If so then I agree with SoundsGood.

Jeremy Gillow
post #82 of 20368 Old 08-20-2007, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

We need to remember that Chad has a business partner in another venture (Scott Atwell - Fi/Ascendent) who can be ranked with the best driver designers. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that Scott is making the drivers for Epik.

JP

If scott is making the drivers their is no doubt in my mind this sub is gonna be sick...

IMO if your in the market for a sub right now I would hold off for one of these, especially after reading this...
post #83 of 20368 Old 08-21-2007, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Scott Atwek is working WITH chad from a business standpoint. Scott is still managing Ficar, and will be taking care of Ascendant Audio as well (still a big player in the car audio scene).....Chad will be concentrating on the Epik line.

Both Chad and Scott are superb driver designers....two of the absolute best! Avalanche anyone? Q18 anyone?

There will be more information posted soon, including measurements........sufficeth to say that Epik's drivers and overall system design will be a tough one to beat commercially. Exciting news for you subwoofer shoppers!
post #84 of 20368 Old 08-21-2007, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sufficeth to say that Epik's drivers and overall system design will be a tough one to beat commercially.

A lot of folks will want to know how the Epik Tower compares to the SVS Ultra13.
post #85 of 20368 Old 08-21-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow View Post

I can't really tell from the pics, but is that black top on the Rosenut veneer sub textured and not gloss? If so then I agree with SoundsGood.

It looks like it's textured.
post #86 of 20368 Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A lot of folks will want to know how the Epik Tower compares to the SVS Ultra13.

indeed....myself included.

ultra long throw 15" vs ultra long throw 13.3"
27H x 20W x 30D vs 22H x 20.5W x 27D
single 6" port vs 3 x 4" ports

let the games begin!
post #87 of 20368 Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

27H x 20W x 30D vs 22H x 20.5W x 27D

Hmmm... I much prefer the smaller size of the SVS.
post #88 of 20368 Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I much prefer the smaller size of the SVS.

definitely a good buy as well.

funny, I never thought I'd hear the day that someone would say they like the "smaller size of the SVS" in a sentence

how things have changed!
post #89 of 20368 Old 08-21-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I certainly wouldn't consider the PB-Ultra to be small, but it does happen to be by intention, a perfect end-table height. In my case, that will make it much easier to live with.
post #90 of 20368 Old 08-21-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

I certainly wouldn't consider the PB-Ultra to be small...

Oh, me neither... I just meant that the Epik Tower is quite large -- even bigger than the PB-Ultra.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page