Forum Jump: 

post #9151 of 20368 Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaeel View Post

Lol. Actually she's been pretty good about everything. She actually thought John H's room, I think it is that has the two conquests on their sides, looked pretty good. She doesn't care how much I spend or how big they are she just doesn't want me to have to keep buying equipment and speakers. Which I agree with. I want something I won't have to keep upgrading.....Yah you make a good point. I'm petty sure I'll be happy either with Epik or Ed and I am leaning towards Epik because they're a little more for the money and I've read nothing but good things about them. Are u still shopping or did u already pick one up?

madaeel I would recommend you buy an A7-900 and if the sound isn't rounded out enough, you should give it to your brother and try something else. that's probably the best advice you'll get here.

Quit readin my signature ya stupid signature reader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 20368 Old 10-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Liked: 10
As we have dropped into different sub talks.. I have been worked up over ED A7s-650 (13Av.2 drivers), maybe DIY kit. Does anyone have anything to chime in about this guy..

-fab

-fab5

Bass, an obsession or addiction?
post #9153 of 20368 Old 10-01-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab5valentine View Post

As we have dropped into different sub talks.. I have been worked up over ED A7s-650 (13Av.2 drivers), maybe DIY kit. Does anyone have anything to chime in about this guy..

-fab

Some one has two of those somewhere. Small foot print with mega output. The DIY is the best bang for the buck.
post #9154 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
STILL LOVIN MY EPIK TOWER....with an HSU MBM-12 combo....rocks the house!

BTW, for those of you who got into a receiver with Audyssey, what were your sub results? Better or worse? Thanks people

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #9155 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I am VERY confused now.

Just to test things out I turned the gain up to 2pm or so and added 7.5 db to what audyssey set and it ended up being 8db on the RS meter. Tested one of my favorite mid bass movies, hitman, and still it just not sound right. The pb13 ultra us to shake the glass on my pocket door and pressurize the room this just rumbles and I feel NO impact.
post #9156 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Liked: 11
Have you tried calling Chad he will be more than happy to help you. Something seems wrong with your Epik, I have a Dragon and it has plenty of mid-bass punch and it completely pressurizes my 3000 cu ft room.
post #9157 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

called... no answer... we will see. I hope they are generous with the return pollicy if it can't be worked out. Mine was shipped and I got it 31-32 days ago but just hooked it up yesterdat
post #9158 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 10:34 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by below90hz View Post

madaeel I would recommend you buy an A7-900 and if the sound isn't rounded out enough, you should give it to your brother and try something else. that's probably the best advice you'll get here.

Actually my brothers a jerk so i won't give him anything. I probably will wind up buying a sub from Epik and one from Ed just to compare though. I think I'll get one A7-450 and either a dynasty or whatever replaces the conquest and have a shoot-out.
post #9159 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

called... no answer... we will see. I hope they are generous with the return pollicy if it can't be worked out. Mine was shipped and I got it 31-32 days ago but just hooked it up yesterdat

You should also send him or Karen an e-mail.
post #9160 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

I am VERY confused now.

Just to test things out I turned the gain up to 2pm or so and added 7.5 db to what audyssey set and it ended up being 8db on the RS meter. Tested one of my favorite mid bass movies, hitman, and still it just not sound right. The pb13 ultra us to shake the glass on my pocket door and pressurize the room this just rumbles and I feel NO impact.

I have no idea what this means...are you saying you're 8dbs hot? What's your FR look like. Sounds like you have some major midbass suckouts.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #9161 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I have no idea what this means...are you saying you're 8dbs hot? What's your FR look like. Sounds like you have some major midbass suckouts.

I just played by gold standard test songs and WOW, not even close to the PB 13 ultra. the pb13 was SCARY, felt like it did damage to the structure of the house. The dynasty was, eh thats kind of nice if I put my head right in this spot and point it into a wall and run it 10+db hot at ref levels

Also it is not a suck out cause the pb13 ultra had the mid bass in the same scenes.
post #9162 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

I just played by gold standard test songs and WOW, not even close to the PB 13 ultra. the pb13 was SCARY, felt like it did damage to the structure of the house. The dynasty was, eh thats kind of nice if I put my head right in this spot and point it into a wall and run it 10+db hot at ref levels

Also it is not a suck out cause the pb13 ultra had the mid bass in the same scenes.

I still don't understand what you were saying on the earlier post, but I wouldn't recommend pumping the gain on the sub plus taking your channel trim to +7. You're likely clipping the signal to acheive a tactile response you're not going to get in your current placement and config. Have you tried shutting down Audyssey and calibrating by hand? I know all about the Ultra13, but the Dynasty while might not having the same sound, should physically output more SPL. Disengage Audyssey, calibrate by hand with the sub a couple of dbs hot and run some demos. Put a meter on them and measure the peaks. Let us know what you're getting.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #9163 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Why is it that I don't recall you being all that happy with your PB13 when you actually had it? I am getting the idea that you don't really know what you expect form bass performance, let alone how to go about actually getting it.
post #9164 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 11:43 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaeel View Post

Actually my brothers a jerk so i won't give him anything. I probably will wind up buying a sub from Epik and one from Ed just to compare though. I think I'll get one A7-450 and either a dynasty or whatever replaces the conquest and have a shoot-out.

actually I heard your brother can dunk and is super-strong and is buying a 3" subwoofer because he is the only one on this thread that isn't buying a huge subwoofer to overcompensate for something *cough* *cough*.

but to stay on topic, yeah i like your shootout idea. i've got two JBL psw1200's and i did a shootout with them but there was no clear winner.

Quit readin my signature ya stupid signature reader.
post #9165 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Why is it that I don't recall you being all that happy with your PB13 when you actually had it? I am getting the idea that you don't really know what you expect form bass performance, let alone how to go about actually getting it.

I was VEEEERY happy with it when I finally got it into the right place!!

Problem is i already had a verbal agreement to sell it and had people helping me plan a DIY sub so i went through ti it even though I knew it was a bad idea. I am using the same placement that finally got the right sound and it is totally not even close.
post #9166 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

STILL LOVIN MY EPIK TOWER....with an HSU MBM-12 combo....rocks the house!

BTW, for those of you who got into a receiver with Audyssey, what were your sub results? Better or worse? Thanks people

If I remember, there was about three who had issues with the Audyssey setting the sub. We suggested to them to should it down and manually use a SPL meter and it worked out.

The Ultra13 had more settings or eq. If you remember, how did you have it set up? Fillters and what hz setting?
post #9167 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

If I remember, there was about three who had issues with the Audyssey setting the sub. We suggested to them to should it down and manually use a SPL meter and it worked out.

The Ultra13 had more settings or eq. If you remember, how did you have it set up? Fillters and what hz setting?

Well thats a problem because now I have an as-eq1 ha. PB13 got us multEQ xt, same as the dynasty - didn't use any filters on it - liked the 20hz tone best, maybe set to medium room but no eq
post #9168 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:

I was VEEEERY happy with it when I finally got it into the right place!!

Problem is i already had a verbal agreement to sell it and had people helping me plan a DIY sub so i went through ti it even though I knew it was a bad idea. I am using the same placement that finally got the right sound and it is totally not even close.

Dont feel bad when I first got my PB13 was as happy as I could be, rattling bass as far as pictures, things on the table, pictures ect. and the good ole sonic bass you could feel before you heard it . But I still found myself reading other threads and posts and found myself wondering hmmm I wonder if theres more bass out there for me with just one sub ? Now thats greed lol I almost fell into the trap and im so glad I didnt Now with you though its a little more understanding why you switched based on you had setup issues and already committed to selling your sub and buying another . Live and learn from your experience my friend and it wont be a total loss. In the mean time keep trying and hopefully you'll get your epic dialed in like your PB13 was and become just as happy Goodluck !!!
post #9169 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I just played Iron Man and the cave scene and first launch it sounded about as loud as the pb13. My biggest gripe is it not there at time I would expect it, meaning when it hits is hits hard but it hits less often than I experienced with the pb13.

I think I narrowed down an issue - The pb13 had audyssey run in one area then I moved it to the other side of the room without re-running it. Maybe it was boosting the wrong frequencies and I like that sound.
post #9170 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

the good news is my speakers and onkyo are running great. I am not sure why they were SOOOOO bright without audyssey. I may still get upgrade fever and they are on sale on audiogon ha
post #9171 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

Well thats a problem because now I have an as-eq1 ha. PB13 got us multEQ xt, same as the dynasty - didn't use any filters on it - liked the 20hz tone best, maybe set to medium room but no eq

Have you tried to output some bass in stereo via a cd player?

Or, try it with the reciever EQ off with no Sine Wave engaged.

Or, go back to basics with the sub gain at 9:00 and the reciever SW pink tone db at around -5 and the Sine Wave set at +2. You should be getting some bass with those settings.

Bill
post #9172 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just played Iron Man and the cave scene and first launch it sounded about as loud as the pb13. My biggest gripe is it not there at time I would expect it, meaning when it hits is hits hard but it hits less often than I experienced with the pb13.

I think I narrowed down an issue - The pb13 had audyssey run in one area then I moved it to the other side of the room without re-running it. Maybe it was boosting the wrong frequencies and I like that sound.

There you go now try doing the same thing with your epic, sounds like your making great progress now.
post #9173 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

There you go now try doing the same thing with your epic, sounds like your making great progress now.

Can I change my name to "chicken little"?

I am still not sure I am 100% there yet but I can't go back now - still want those jtr's but I over reacted with my paradigms as well
post #9174 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=goonstopher;17287920]Can I change my name to "chicken little"?

Or maybe ''The Undecided" but I think its takened I tryed once before when I was on the great fence of debate
post #9175 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Going back to basics usually takes care of the mistakes!

Bill
post #9176 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Going back to basics usually takes care of the mistakes!

Bill

Personally I am not 100% happy yet, it really seems like it is not there most of the time (like in scenes where the guns use to have bass to them they don't anymore) but when it does go off it is very strong now that I calibrated it a good 7db hot
post #9177 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally I am not 100% happy yet, it really seems like it is not there most of the time (like in scenes where the guns use to have bass to them they don't anymore) but when it does go off it is very strong now that I calibrated it a good 7db hot

Subs from different manufacturers tune different from one another. I found this out when I went from HSU to Ed. Not all amps are the same as they are built for that sub and the tune is in a different spot each time from one to the other. Another reason why one sub in the same spot in the room will sound different from your other sub. It took me more than a month to get my Conquest just right. Sometimes you think that it is done and then play a familier movie clip with loads of bass and quess what? It didn't sound the same as the other subwoofer. That is why I said go back to basics. Don't get all down about it, tune it and then listen to different bass clips. I have a Pio '94 and my Conquest settings are: sub gain at 10:00, reciever LFE pink tone db at -3.0, Pio volume for movie at -10, and my SMS-1 gain at 10 = fantastic bass for my space at 77 to 79 db at the seat. BluRay movies dial in at the reciever -10 to -14 and SD DVD from -8 to -4.

Bill
post #9178 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I just don't know how else to calibrate it.
post #9179 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Call or email Chad! Hang in there and let him help you with the tuning.

Bill
post #9180 of 20368 Old 10-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Put an SPL meter on that thing!! Then get back to us

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page