Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 325 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9721 of 20368 Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just "applied" to the Epik family and ordered (2) Sentinels this evening after pouring over a lot of data.

My current sub is a Hsu VTF3 MK3 that works quite well, but you never really have enough bass. I would have added a second VTF3 but Hsu improved the 3 since I purchased mine and improved the HW and finish. It would not have been an exact match to my current one, although that was my justification to crossover, lame as it is. The shipping cost was also a factor for another unit. No disrespect to the Hsu as it still is a damn fine sub and I have no regrets buying it in the first place.

The Sentinels price, reviews and the fact that it's close enough to me to have local pickup persuaded me to take the plunge

My HT:

14x19x7 semi enclosed room that opens into a larger rec room in the basement. Commercial grade carpet over concrete floor and drywall poured walls, with suspended ceiling rounds it out.

The Sentinels new family will include:

Onkyo PR-SC886 Processor
Outlaw 770 200w/ch power amp (300W into 4 ohm)
Oppo BDP-83
LSi15 fronts
LSiC center
Fxi5 side surround
Fxi3 rear surround
16x9 110" DIY Wilsonart screen
Panasonic AE3000

My favorite movie to impress my friends is of course Master and Commander.
I am looking forward to impressing their bowels even more.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 20368 Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 PM

I ordered my Sentinel on 9/22 and it was shipped on 9/30 and arrived a few days later.

I'm still lovin' it. We had some friends over last Saturday and everyone left except another couple and their kids (and mine), so I threw on Bolt and had the AVR set to -20. When the movie started and the LFE kicked in, my friend said "What was that?!" We were standing in the kitchen (open to our great room) about 40' away from the sub and it sounded like a true to life explosion. We could feel the floor vibrate from where we were standing and it sounded so lifelike. I had to turn it down to -26 from Reference, because everyone thought it was "ridiculously loud." I thought it sounded great Later on my buddy and I were sitting with the kids watching the movie and an explosion went off and we could feel it through the furniture and our bodies and he looked over at me and smiled. I of course had a silly grin on my face.

It's funny, when I first got it I think I was more critical of it and took every opportunity to listen to the sub, but since then my enthusiasm has dwindled (ever so slightly), but I find that I appreciate it more when I haven't played it loud for awhile. It's still startling at times when the bass kicks in. I think I'm even more impressed with the Sentinel now than when I first got it.
post #9723 of 20368 Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
BleedGreen - and thats how it all starts. Soon you will be watching every clip with explosions, gunfire, etc that you can remember from all your DVD's. The wife will tire of it but she will know exactly where to find you!

Bill
post #9724 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 04:44 AM

My wife is convinced that my subwoofer demo's is why we have to rodents in our house. Hmmmm..where another drywall crack appears.......
post #9725 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
After the wife comments I need to gloat/share:

My gf (who bought the dynasty and as-eq1) recently decided we should have one tenant in our three bedroom house leave and she would pay more rent for us to move into a room 1/3 the size of the one we have now so that the big room can be turned into a dedicated theater!!

I need to find a job asap to fund this, damn economy!
post #9726 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I need to find a job asap to fund this, damn economy!

I like the way this guy thinks.

Yamaha RX-V3800--Klipsch Icon XF-48 (L/R)--Epik Phoenix x2--DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033
post #9727 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Something might be wrong with the amp on my Phoenix I keep my amp in "auto-on" mode and had the Jazz cable station on like I often do and at pretty low level. I noticed the amp light was red "stand by" and normally at the volume it is always enough to trigger it on and keep it on. I then turned up the volume and still nothing was coming out of the sub! I kept turning it up until I got near reference level and it suddenly kicked in. Before turning up the volume, I switched it into the "on" mode and I still had nothing coming out. I also noticed that the amp plate was not as warm as it usually is.
Anyone have any idea what happened here?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #9728 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Something might be wrong with the amp on my Phoenix I keep my amp in "auto-on" mode and had the Jazz cable station on like I often do and at pretty low level. I noticed the amp light was red "stand by" and normally at the volume it is always enough to trigger it on and keep it on. I then turned up the volume and still nothing was coming out of the sub! I kept turning it up until I got near reference level and it suddenly kicked in. Before turning up the volume, I switched it into the "on" mode and I still had nothing coming out. I also noticed that the amp plate was not as warm as it usually is.
Anyone have any idea what happened here?

You have the same problem I have. What I did was, I turn it off. The next day I turned it back on to "auto" and it was fine. I think the amp needs to rest or "cool down" once in a while. I e-mailed Chad but haven't heard back from him yet.
post #9729 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

You have the same problem I have. What I did was, I turn it off. The next day I turned it back on to "auto" and it was fine. I think the amp needs to rest or "cool down" once in a while. I e-mailed Chad but haven't heard back from him yet.

Thanks for responding. Sometimes I do turn off the subwoofer overnight just because, maybe once a week. This is a strange problem. Did you have to turn up the volume way up as well to get it to work?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #9730 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Thanks for responding. Sometimes I do turn off the subwoofer overnight just because, maybe once a week. This is a strange problem. Did you have to turn up the volume way up as well to get it to work?

Yeah. One day I come home from work and turned on the radio. Same volume as usual. I'm wating for the bass. Waiting and waiting. wtf? Where's the bass. So, I turned up the volume to get the sub to work. Strange. I hope nothing happend to the amp. I'm going to say that the amp get really hot during heavy use. It gets to a point where I can't leave my hand on it for a few seconds. I asked Chad if it was ok to use a heat sink and he said it was ok. Just make sure the glue you use is not flammable.
post #9731 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Yeah. One day I come home from work and turned on the radio. Same volume as usual. I'm wating for the bass. Waiting and waiting. wtf? Where's the bass. So, I turned up the volume to get the sub to work. Strange. I hope nothing happend to the amp. I'm going to say that the amp get really hot during heavy use. It gets to a point where I can't leave my hand on it for a few seconds. I asked Chad if it was ok to use a heat sink and he said it was ok. Just make sure the glue you use is not flammable.

About how much did you have to turn it up to get the sub to kick in? I have experience the amp plate get rather hot with heavy LFE movies, but I think that is the normal for this newer designed amplifier Epik is using. The problem we are experiencing needs an explaination for Chad.

post #9732 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 01:43 PM

I noticed one night my sub was not playing and I went over to check on it only to notice that the power cord had vibrated loose. I pushed it in all the way and haven't had a problem since. I was curious if maybe the loose cord could have messed up some circuitry in your amps? I'm just thinking out loud. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. Hope you guys have better luck.

Yamaha RX-V3800--Klipsch Icon XF-48 (L/R)--Epik Phoenix x2--DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033
post #9733 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had that 'amp/sub not turing on' problem twice since owning my Tower. On the 2nd time it happened (Feb 09) I really thought the amp was dead for real. So I turned the switch to off, unplugged and waited for about 1 min. Plugged it back in, and the green light came on.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #9734 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

I've had that 'amp/sub not turing on' problem twice since owning my Tower. On the 2nd time it happened (Feb 09) I really thought the amp was dead for real. So I turned the switch to off, unplugged and waited for about 1 min. Plugged it back in, and the green light came on.

Interesting.......and you have the old BASH amp...WTF

post #9735 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 02:59 PM

Doesn't the Phoenix have internal heatsinks? I would think that they would want to pull heat away from the inside of the subwoofer.

I would also think that the excessive heat would be detrimental to the amp,
but I admit that I am no expert on such things.
post #9736 of 20368 Old 11-06-2009, 06:55 PM

The heat buildup is typically not a direct issue unless of course it reaches extreme temperatures. The problem is the expansion and contraction of circuitry that comes with the change in temperature. Heat causes expansion and cold causes contraction. Over long periods of time, the constant expansion and contraction can eventually cause enough wear on the circuitry that it breaks down (e.g., blown capacitor). The problem with it getting really hot is that it causes greater expansion and thus more wear on the circuitry when it contracts (powered down).
post #9737 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 02:10 AM

Should I worry about the heat issue when my Phoenix arrives?

How far should I have the amp away from the wall?
post #9738 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnocchi View Post

Should I worry about the heat issue when my Phoenix arrives?

How far should I have the amp away from the wall?

Nothing to worry about. The cord sticks out a tad so you will have to space it at least that far for that. Honestly an inch or 2 past that would be far than enough.

post #9739 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just saw this posted over at Epik:

"November 6, 2009
Epik has experienced a huge increase in orders this season due to both the ever-growing popularity of our products and our recent sale. As a result, all products are currently back-ordered. Orders placed before November 6th are not affected by the back-order.

New components to build more product will be available mid-December. We are still accepting orders for those that want to get in line for when the product becomes available again. The current sale on the Sentinel and the Vanquish will still be in effect until otherwise noted. Epik does not charge our customers until the product ships. Customers will be kept up to date on their order status.

It is worth noting that there are a limited amount of components coming and our stock is very much depleted. If you want to enjoy a subwoofer from Epik before the end of the year, we highly recommend getting in line quickly. Otherwise you may find that you will have to wait until January for more product."
post #9740 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

"November 6, 2009
Epik has experienced a huge increase in orders this season due to both the ever-growing popularity of our products and our recent sale. As a result, all products are currently back-ordered. Orders placed before November 6th are not affected by the back-order.

New components to build more product will be available mid-December. We are still accepting orders for those that want to get in line for when the product becomes available again. The current sale on the Sentinel and the Vanquish will still be in effect until otherwise noted. Epik does not charge our customers until the product ships. Customers will be kept up to date on their order status.

It is worth noting that there are a limited amount of components coming and our stock is very much depleted. If you want to enjoy a subwoofer from Epik before the end of the year, we highly recommend getting in line quickly. Otherwise you may find that you will have to wait until January for more product."

Phew, glad I got my order in before this took place. I guess its good for EPIK though to have this much work coming in.

My small equipment list in on profile.
post #9741 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

"November 6, 2009

growing pains can be difficult. hopefully quality control won't suffer.
post #9742 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:

"November 6, 2009

Maybe they're secretly redoing the line again. Just kidding. That's great to hear they are doing so well. Hopefully they will get more components and maybe even some staff to roll out these babies.
post #9743 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 04:24 PM

CRAP! I just saved enough money to order another Phoenix on Monday. Now I am going to be on the sit around and wait list I am happy that Epik is doing so well but this really upsets me. Somebody tell me it will be ok?!!?!?

post #9744 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister House View Post

CRAP! I just saved enough money to order another Phoenix on Monday. Now I am going to be on the sit around and wait list I am happy that Epik is doing so well but this really upsets me. Somebody tell me it will be ok?!!?!?

Another? Meaning you already have one? Yeah It'll be ok, I and several others have placed orders and waited when we didn't have one to speak of, so I think you'll be fine with 1 Phoenix while you want for the other.
post #9745 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

so does that mean you like it so much that you have to have another? or is it inadequate in some way?
post #9746 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Another? Meaning you already have one? Yeah It'll be ok, I and several others have placed orders and waited when we didn't have one to speak of, so I think you'll be fine with 1 Phoenix while you want for the other.

Thank you for the reality check. Next time let's keep it above the belt lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

so does that mean you like it so much that you have to have another? or is it inadequate in some way?

Yes I have 1 already. It is in no way inadequate. I personally need more. My friends think I am crazy.

P.S. I am!

post #9747 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Yes I have 1 already. It is in no way inadequate. I personally need more. My friends think I am crazy.

P.S. I am!

It's an addiction. I recently moved and in my previous place I couldn't go duals and was perfectly content. Since I have I'm wanting to move again so I can go quads.

The difference is astounding, to say the least.
post #9748 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Just figured I'd throw this out there....... STILL LOVING MY DRAGON! One of the first ones and still no problems. I never physically turn it off, its always plugged in and switched on and every time I turn on some nasty dance music or watch a Blu-Ray it never disappoints. Shakes the concrete walls of my bedroom
post #9749 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post

Just figured I'd throw this out there....... STILL LOVING MY DRAGON! One of the first ones and still no problems. I never physically turn it off, its always plugged in and switched on and every time I turn on some nasty dance music or watch a Blu-Ray it never disappoints. Shakes the concrete walls of my bedroom

Same here, the Dragon is an amazing sub. I recently ran my mains and center on "full-range" with the sub off. Even though its enough bass, the sounds is extremely different and prefer the Dragon sound.

The bass on the Dragon blends and sounds better than the woofers on my mains and center. Even at low volumes it sounds amazing.
post #9750 of 20368 Old 11-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

I'm going to watch Transformers2 tomorrow night.... can't wait to get the REAL experience!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page