Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

I'm listening to some music right now

that looks sweet.

Nearfield music: Laptop w/REW & Equalizer APO -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2

H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel

My last.fm profile

post #9873 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 05:18 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

That looks great! My wife is definitely gonna like the size of 2 of the Sentinels VS the 18" Phoenix behemoth Keep us updated on your progress in setting them up.
post #9874 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks guys, here's one more. The music is sounding good.
LL
post #9875 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that's good to hear.

Nearfield music: Laptop w/REW & Equalizer APO -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2

H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel

My last.fm profile

post #9876 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Are those triple 8's under those???
post #9877 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Great! Have you tried any other adjustments as far as room positioning goes or is that where they "have" to go? Any sort of recalibration?

Also, if you get a chance shoot a picture with a DVD box in front for size reference as well please, I think it helps put things into perspective.
post #9878 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I was about to ask the same... how do the JTR's sound? Particularly at high-very high volume.
post #9879 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

The one and only
post #9880 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike2069 View Post

I was about to ask the same... how do the JTR's sound? Particularly at high-very high volume.

I'm impressed with these speakers every time I listen to them. I bought the LCR's for my dedicated theater room but, have been listening to a lot of music on them as well. With movies dynamics are HUGE. At higher volumes they are just coasting along, very little power to get them going. Dialog is excellent.
post #9881 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

In am waiting on mine with the magnetic grills, have a single 2010 t8 now
post #9882 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 06:40 PM

Sentinel -- Ordered 10/28 ~ Shipped 11/17

Eagerly waiting...
post #9883 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohmony View Post

Eagerly waiting...

Congrats! I'm Interested in your thoughts whn you get it. What's the volume of the room it's going in?
post #9884 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm impressed with these speakers every time I listen to them. I bought the LCR's for my dedicated theater room but, have been listening to a lot of music on them as well. With movies dynamics are HUGE. At higher volumes they are just coasting along, very little power to get them going. Dialog is excellent.

I mainly asked because I noticed they have really high sensitivity but I also didnt see a tweeter of any kind? Maybe I'm missing it? I may be interested in something similar. Right now I have the klipsch-like BIC Acoustech's but at very high volume on Denon 2310 power, the male voice can get a tad muffled/sloppy. This is only at very high volume though... like +6db and higher. It may seem crazy to listen so loud, but the room is very big and its not quite as loud as you might think.
post #9885 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
There is an Epik Phoenix for sale on audiogon. $800 for pick-up at PA area. That's a spanking good deal.
post #9886 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I mainly asked because I noticed they have really high sensitivity but I also didnt see a tweeter of any kind? Maybe I'm missing it? I may be interested in something similar. Right now I have the klipsch-like BIC Acoustech's but at very high volume on Denon 2310 power, the male voice can get a tad muffled/sloppy. This is only at very high volume though... like +6db and higher. It may seem crazy to listen so loud, but the room is very big and its not quite as loud as you might think.

Triple 12's might be better for pure sensitivity and a very large room, there is no tweeter they use a coaxial compression driver
post #9887 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

T12's? yeah, right Goonstopher

The middle driver in the T8 is a coax as Goonstopher mentioned. 8" mid with a 1" compression driver behind the transparent dust cap. The other two 8's are the woofers.
post #9888 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

There is an Epik Phoenix for sale on audiogon. $800 for pick-up at PA area. That's a spanking good deal.

It's only 230 miles from my house in the Harrisburg area. It's on the Western side of PA. Real close to Ohio. That's a steal at 800, if you're close enough to pick it up.
post #9889 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

T12's? yeah, right Goonstopher

The middle driver in the T8 is a coax as Goonstopher mentioned. 8" mid with a 1" compression driver behind the transparent dust cap. The other two 8's are the woofers.

so it's 3 8's but the center 8 has a tweeter hidden behind it?

My last.fm profile

post #9890 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

so it's 3 8's but the center 8 has a tweeter hidden behind it?

Yep

Epik, Epik, Epik

Don't want to change this to a JTR thread
LL
post #9891 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep

Epik, Epik, Epik

Don't want to change this to a JTR thread

i know. it's cool though.

they look like killer speakers those.

My last.fm profile

post #9892 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:

This next part I don't really like but, I was really underwelmed. I started with the gains at 10 o'clock and the receiver was a 0 like I've always kept it. Hardly any bass! I messed with the phase controls and nothing different. I had to crank the gains up to 2-3 o'clock on BOTH Sentinels to get better output. I had my one PB12-NSD at around 1' oclock & receiver at 0 and it has much more impact than the 2 Sentinels. Mind you the SVS still sounded clean to me but, with more output. So, I'm a depressed this morning as I was expecting them to blow away the PB12-NSD. I'm using a Y out of the receiver and going to each Sentinel, does anyone think the output should be cranked up on the receiver? I'm at zero now and have always kept it there and using the subs gain but, it just seems like I have to use a lot of gain on the Sentinels, especially with two off them.
I will have much more time to listen on Friday and the weekend but, I'll try some more movies and music tonight.

I had the same initial impressions when I hooked up my Sentinel. I had an Outlaw LFM-1 EX and it didn't take much to get a lot of output from it. I had the SW setting at -5 dB and kept the gain between 10 & 11 o'clock. The EX was room shaking at 11 o'clock setting. When I got the Sentinel, I hooked it up at the same settings and I was shocked at how there was so much less bass in comparison to the EX. I didn't have REW and an SPL meter or anything else with exception to my own ears. I was underwhelmed too, but I remembered that it took me some time to dial in the EX, so I wasn't worried. After listening to a lot more movies and music, I realized that I had to bring the SW level (0 to +1) on the receiver up and had to set the gain higher (1 o'clock). Also, there was definitely some break-in with my Sentinel. It was very stiff at first and didn't show as much excursion. Now, if I listen to some hip hop and get close and watch it and crank the gain a little higher, I can feel the insides of my ear canals shake. The driver never complains or bottoms out when cranking the gain higher while throwing a lot of bass at it. The only thing I've notice is my lights dim when the gain is set high (3 o'clock) and there's heavy bass thumps. I don't do this very often, but I get a kick out of it every once and a while.

As it stands now, I have my SW setting at +3 dB (it goes against standard convention, but it sounds good) and the gain set at 12 o'clock. Setting the gain too high can cause high amperage peaks, so I prefer to set the SW setting higher and keep the gain at 12. I have BIC Acoustech HT-75's and HT-65 center and they're really efficient, so I feel like I need more bass to match the output of the mids and highs from my mains/center. I have a 20x20x9 great room open to a large breakfast area/kitchen, foyer (open to the 2nd story), and surrounding walkway and I feel that my lone Sentinel is quite adequate and very satisfying. I watched UP on Blu Ray this past weekend at -10 dB from Reference and there was some couch shaking and chest thumping bass during the LFE heavy scenes. There was some great LFE action in Dug's special mission too (rock moving and rocks falling while he's running ahead of the other dogs). Music sounds excellent with the Sentinel and it stops on a dime. I noticed a big difference in SQ when directly comparing the EX. The bass on the EX just hung around a bit longer and didn't seem quite as clear while listening to music. With movies, this wasn't really noticeable with the EX. The EX shook the couch a bit more too, but I think it was due to the down firing driver/ports that seemed to couple more with the subfloor. I had thoughts of getting a GRAMMA with the EX, but I don't feel it's necessary with the Sentinel.

Hope this helps. Just give your Sentinels some time. I personally feel that they have a long break in period and seem to open up more and more as I listen to them. I agree that you should start with one and then try to bring the 2nd one in later and REW and an SPL meter would definitely help you with noise cancellation issues.
post #9893 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

umm....you know you have it on it's side right. j/k. I love the look of the new EPIK driver. What's the size of ur room? Glad ur enjoying em.

The room is only 10x12. It fills it with ease. Even on its side.
post #9894 of 20368 Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dodge View Post

Wow, a Dynasty in a 10'x12' room...I can't help but smile

I'm a bit jealous, though. It trumps my Castle in my 11'x10' room. Good thing I don't have anywhere to put another sub, or I'd be tempted to add another. Enjoy, man!

Oh, and my Castle is on its side too. Fits and sounds better that way for me
post #9895 of 20368 Old 11-18-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dodge View Post

Wow, I have a 12x13 room with a phoenix and that is pretty intense. I can feel the pressure in my ears, that must be intense.

My small equipment list in on profile.
post #9896 of 20368 Old 11-18-2009, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen View Post

I had the same initial impressions when I hooked up my Sentinel. I had an Outlaw LFM-1 EX and it didn't take much to get a lot of output from it. I had the SW setting at -5 dB and kept the gain between 10 & 11 o'clock. The EX was room shaking at 11 o'clock setting. When I got the Sentinel, I hooked it up at the same settings and I was shocked at how there was so much less bass in comparison to the EX. I didn't have REW and an SPL meter or anything else with exception to my own ears. I was underwhelmed too, but I remembered that it took me some time to dial in the EX, so I wasn't worried. After listening to a lot more movies and music, I realized that I had to bring the SW level (0 to +1) on the receiver up and had to set the gain higher (1 o'clock). Also, there was definitely some break-in with my Sentinel. It was very stiff at first and didn't show as much excursion. Now, if I listen to some hip hop and get close and watch it and crank the gain a little higher, I can feel the insides of my ear canals shake. The driver never complains or bottoms out when cranking the gain higher while throwing a lot of bass at it. The only thing I've notice is my lights dim when the gain is set high (3 o'clock) and there's heavy bass thumps. I don't do this very often, but I get a kick out of it every once and a while.

As it stands now, I have my SW setting at +3 dB (it goes against standard convention, but it sounds good) and the gain set at 12 o'clock. Setting the gain too high can cause high amperage peaks, so I prefer to set the SW setting higher and keep the gain at 12. I have BIC Acoustech HT-75's and HT-65 center and they're really efficient, so I feel like I need more bass to match the output of the mids and highs from my mains/center. I have a 20x20x9 great room open to a large breakfast area/kitchen, foyer (open to the 2nd story), and surrounding walkway and I feel that my lone Sentinel is quite adequate and very satisfying. I watched UP on Blu Ray this past weekend at -10 dB from Reference and there was some couch shaking and chest thumping bass during the LFE heavy scenes. There was some great LFE action in Dug's special mission too (rock moving and rocks falling while he's running ahead of the other dogs). Music sounds excellent with the Sentinel and it stops on a dime. I noticed a big difference in SQ when directly comparing the EX. The bass on the EX just hung around a bit longer and didn't seem quite as clear while listening to music. With movies, this wasn't really noticeable with the EX. The EX shook the couch a bit more too, but I think it was due to the down firing driver/ports that seemed to couple more with the subfloor. I had thoughts of getting a GRAMMA with the EX, but I don't feel it's necessary with the Sentinel.

Hope this helps. Just give your Sentinels some time. I personally feel that they have a long break in period and seem to open up more and more as I listen to them. I agree that you should start with one and then try to bring the 2nd one in later and REW and an SPL meter would definitely help you with noise cancellation issues.

Bleedgreen, thanks.

I did read your review a while back. I was listening to music last night, no movies. The sound is very refined and clean, they almost remind me of sealed subs. They do blend really well with the mains, I changed the crossover point from 80Hz to 100Hz and they still sounded great but, went back to the 80Hz setting as I felt the T8's had enough down to 80Hz. This weekend will be movies! I'm going to pick up the new Star Trek on Blu-Ray. They are very nicely built and I like the size. The first night I did get them going pretty good with "Inside Man" I like the intro song to that movie, it has some nice low bass but, oh so clean sounding.
post #9897 of 20368 Old 11-18-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Bleedgreen, thanks.

I did read your review a while back. I was listening to music last night, no movies. The sound is very refined and clean, they almost remind me of sealed subs. They do blend really well with the mains, I changed the crossover point from 80Hz to 100Hz and they still sounded great but, went back to the 80Hz setting as I felt the T8's had enough down to 80Hz. This weekend will be movies! I'm going to pick up the new Star Trek on Blu-Ray. They are very nicely built and I like the size. The first night I did get them going pretty good with "Inside Man" I like the intro song to that movie, it has some nice low bass but, oh so clean sounding.

I have Star Trek waiting for me.. Alot of bass in this movie. The Epik subs have really good control. They don't miss a beat and stops on a dime.
post #9898 of 20368 Old 11-18-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

"Alot of bass in this movie."

Hksvr4, that's good to know.
post #9899 of 20368 Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohmony View Post

Eagerly waiting...

THat makes me excited. I ordered mine on Oct 30th with a date given of 11/20. Maybe tomorrow then? Though I haven't heard from them yet. I'm hoping to pick them up tonight or tomorrow after work.
post #9900 of 20368 Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterColin View Post

THat makes me excited. I ordered mine on Oct 30th with a date given of 11/20. Maybe tomorrow then? Though I haven't heard from them yet. I'm hoping to pick them up tonight or tomorrow after work.

If they told you the 20th you'll probably get an e-mail today or tomorrow to arrange a time to pick them up on the 20th or later. That's nice getting them on a Friday, you'll have the weekend to play.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page