Forum Jump: 

post #10081 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Guys most smaller ID's go through this.

Elemental designs was know to have 6-8 week wait times on some products before they got more staff, Jeff from JTR is on a 7 week wait right now, AV123 (despite their other issues) has often had a 2 month wait in the past never mind waiting for parts, Seaton submersives too a long time to get shipped at first and I am sure I am missing more.

Smaller companies don't need to carry as many employees so we get better prices but are also subject to inconveniences.

Moving up the line there are major ID's like SVS or HSU where you still need to order and wait a small amount of time. If you really want convince and performance go spend 12K on a JL audio Gotham at a B&M store. Thats the only way to get the performance we desire without dealing with some compromise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 10:56 AM

Liked: 10
The need for instant gratification and immediate responses in the digital age is what's messing alot of people up. Try ordering a custom holster from any of the top makers and you'll find yourself on a list for at least 6 months if not several years!

I have 2 Sentinels on order and due to the wait times involved I'd say Epik is building subs on an as ordered basis and an incredibly small staff size. Due to their sale they may not have predicted the amount of stock they needed as well as they could have and sometimes **** happens. Don't be bitter because you dragged your feet, are indecisive and missed out on a great opportunity.

What the hell's playing basketball got to do with subwoofers? MBA?
post #10083 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

The need for instant gratification and immediate responses in the digital age is what's messing alot of people up. Try ordering a custom holster from any of the top makers and you'll find yourself on a list for at least 6 months if not several years!

I have 2 Sentinels on order and due to the wait times involved I'd say Epik is building subs on an as ordered basis and an incredibly small staff size. Due to their sale they may not have predicted the amount of stock they needed as well as they could have and sometimes **** happens. Don't be bitter because you dragged your feet, are indecisive and missed out on a great opportunity.

What the hell's playing basketball got to do with subwoofers? MBA?

NBA - National Basketball Association
MBA - Master's of Business Administration

He could always outsource to China or Colombia, thereby increasing his overhead which would ultimately increase the price of the final product and (potentially) reduce quality. Or, he could offer a pre-order and potentially upset future customers by not meeting their delivery expectations.

I think he's doing the right thing, and he is to be commended. Potentially losing a sale is less important than continuing to offer a consistently high quality, reasonably priced product. I'm not an Epik owner personally, but I appreciate his business decision.
post #10084 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
It's not unusual for any of the ID companies to OOS. It's happened to all of them. With the world economy such as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a case of a supplier not being able to fulfill a resupply within Epik's requirement. The orders were probably made prior to the sale. Epik made the OOS annoucement when it became evident that new parts weren't going to make it. I'm sure they didn't forecast or want this situation.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #10085 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysan View Post

NBA - National Basketball Association
MBA - Master's of Business Administration

He could always outsource to China or Colombia, thereby increasing his overhead which would ultimately increase the price of the final product and (potentially) reduce quality. Or, he could offer a pre-order and potentially upset future customers by not meeting their delivery expectations.

I think he's doing the right thing, and he is to be commended. Potentially losing a sale is less important than continuing to offer a consistently high quality, reasonably priced product. I'm not an Epik owner personally, but I appreciate his decision business.

I was attempting to bring some humor to this thread, albeit sarcastically, obviously I failed in your eyes. I also know what an MBA is and it's relevancy here is miniscule to say the least. I know plenty of college degreed idiots, a piece of paper doesn't make one superior and bragging about your accomplishments in a sarcastic, condescending manner doesn't do anyone any good.

Eric could outsource and probably run into some of the same problems as AV123 and the experiences they've had. I wouldn't recommend it and I think he's proven through a small high quality operation that his products are still in great demand, even with the wait. I completely agree with your last paragraph.
post #10086 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 11:40 AM

Irish,

No, you didn't fail, I figured as much and I did find it humorous. I was merely clarifying the difference to those lowly, "non-college degreed" forum members amongst us
post #10087 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysan View Post

Irish,

No, you didn't fail, I figured as much and I did find it humorous. I was merely clarifying the difference to those lowly, "non-college degreed" forum members amongst us

No offense taken and none meant to be directed towards you or anyone else, just trying to clarify

P.S. I don't have a college degree but do consider myself very well read and have educated myself past the level of any of my degreed friends & colleagues. A library card, internet access and the desire to learn sure beats a half assed earned degree. Not to mention an intelligent person with a strong work ethic and the desire to succeed in business will trump a dipshit with a piece of paper, ask me how I know

My apologies and back on topic... I can't wait to get my Sentinels!!! WOOO-HOOOO!!!
post #10088 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

Eric could outsource and probably run into some of the same problems as AV123 and the experiences they've had. I wouldn't recommend it and I think he's proven through a small high quality operation that his products are still in great demand, even with the wait. I completely agree with your last paragraph.

x2

A company(a very small one at that) that comes out front and tells it's customers the truth, even if it's not what they want to here is better than lying about it, taking pre-orders and then not delivering for 12-24 months later.

You can't please everyone but as long as you maintain quality control, value and customer service you will always have a healthy customer base.
post #10089 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Reading this page makes me realize how lucky I was to find a like new phoenix for 299.00 lest than list within a reasonable driving distance.
It pays to keep an eye on agon.

post #10090 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I waited one month from order to my door for my Tower. At that time, this was considered "the norm" from Epik (and other ID's). That month was very long for me, but it DEFINITELY PAID OFF. Some of you guys need to understand this type of business and HAVE SOME PATIENCE! I would hate to see some of you going to AV123 and REALLY get screwed. If you HAVE to have a sub right now, go to Best Buy and "rent one" for 30 days

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #10091 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Yeah, mock the guy and his "half-ass" degree. Since it's so easy, I'd highly recommend whipping through business school, as I can tell you it's well worth the time and energy to the overwhelming majority- REGARDLESS of their chosen discipline.

Playing the "academic" card is like playing the race card: it's a great soundbite, but needs to be backed up with substance before it means a whole lot.

The intro of my MBA has nothing to do with anything other than providing a base from where I'm coming from. Because when I read some mocking a very sound, narrow analogy between 2 companies prime product(s)/service(s) and a shortage of them during a high demand window, I perhaps felt for those 5 seconds that such a brief statement may not hurt...guess I was wrong.

Some will always be insecure about different avenues of their life: for some it's earning power, their automobiles, families, etc. And, for many it seems, their education these days.

Yes, I realize you do not "need" a college education to be successful. Any fool knows that "success" in and of itself is one of the most relative terms in the English language- a homeless person could, for instance, argue that he/she is highly successful because they live how they want to live and answer to no one...and god bless them for it. My success may not necessairily mirror your own, or, imperatively, vice versa.

Attempting to marginalize someone for being educated appears, well, dumb.

I'd stick to justifying why a company, in a HIGHLY competitive arena, can turn folks away from their sole product for months at a time.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #10092 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

^

You dragged your feet, get over it.
post #10093 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

And Irish, you should exhibit some of the intelligence that you appear to feel us "papered" people lack and re-read my post, as nothing of it asserts of a "condescending", superiority complex.
See the above post for reference.

James

post #10094 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

"You dragged your feet, get over it."

just. odd. If selling a sub and looking for a new one within 24 hours constitutes the "dragging of feet"...guilty as charged. Wow.

James

post #10095 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

And Irish, you should exhibit some of the intelligence that you appear to feel us "papered" people lack and re-read my post, as nothing of it asserts of a "condescending", superiority complex.
See the above post for reference.

James

Just for reference:

Quote:

But what do I and my MBA know?

This seems to fit the bill in my eyes. Internet argument over for me, I honestly care less and we obviously have a difference of opinion on what constitutes a condescending, superiority complex.

Enjoy your evening.
post #10096 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Online subwoofer companies aren't huge operations for the most part. They start off small with just a couple of people and grow from there. Then once they get established, they grow big and sometimes outgrow the supply and demand and this also goes for the raw product used in manufactuering. My backgroiund is production and I know how it can happen from time to time. Some build completely in house except for the amps and others outsource to China or whatever country that can supply them. Customer orders can be feast or famine for them and they can have a hard time keeping ahead of the popular curve. A wait of 2 to 8 weeks is not uncommon for any of them for product. These companies come and go and it all depends on customer satisfaction, internet reviews, magazine reviews, and just plain old word of mouth. So if you can't get what you want when you want, move on to another company, or buy used. Most of the online companies do make a "good to great subwoofer" so everybody should be able to find what they want in all price ranges.

Bill
post #10097 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a college degree and STILL have to spellcheck. FWIW, people with dissertations still have to understand the principle of PATIENCE and get on with your life...PLEASE....and YES, i did have to spellcheck this post

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #10098 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I have a college degree and STILL have to spellcheck. FWIW, people with dissertations still have to understand the principle of PATIENCE and get on with your life...PLEASE....and YES, i did have to spellcheck this post

I do not know if that was done intentionally for effect or not, but it did make me laugh.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #10099 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I can't wait. Just two more weeks and I can be a college-grad smarty-pants as well!
post #10100 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 11:12 PM

My BMW is FUBAR and AFAIK you all can SIUYA. TTYL and RSVP.

See, I can use and make up fancy acronyms too.
post #10101 of 20368 Old 11-27-2009, 11:20 PM

I really wish this thread would get back on topic.

My small equipment list in on profile.
post #10102 of 20368 Old 11-28-2009, 01:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by master maybe View Post

Yeah, mock the guy and his "half-ass" degree. Since it's so easy, I'd highly recommend whipping through business school, as I can tell you it's well worth the time and energy to the overwhelming majority- REGARDLESS of their chosen discipline.

Playing the "academic" card is like playing the race card: it's a great sound bite, but needs to be backed up with substance before it means a whole lot.

The intro of my MBA has nothing to do with anything other than providing a base from where I'm coming from. Because when I read some mocking a very sound, narrow analogy between 2 companies prime product(s)/service(s) and a shortage of them during a high demand window, I perhaps felt for those 5 seconds that such a brief statement may not hurt...guess I was wrong.

Some will always be insecure about different avenues of their life: for some it's earning power, their automobiles, families, etc. And, for many it seems, their education these days.

Yes, I realize you do not "need" a college education to be successful. Any fool knows that "success" in and of itself is one of the most relative terms in the English language- a homeless person could, for instance, argue that he/she is highly successful because they live how they want to live and answer to no one...and god bless them for it. My success may not necessarily mirror your own, or, imperatively, vice versa.

Attempting to marginalize someone for being educated appears, well, dumb.

I'd stick to justifying why a company, in a HIGHLY competitive arena, can turn folks away from their sole product for months at a time.

James

BECAUSE THEY KEEP COMING BACK!!! The smart ones wait as they know $$ for $$ you can't beat Epik and the ones who went elsewhere, well a few of them 86'd the so called "equal" subs and bought an Epik.

Besides you really think Chad wants to turn away your business? I am sure from the numerous conversations I have had with him he would rather be building his subs than this. This isn't a "OH heck James, I think that since you and many others want my subs I am going to take off a couple months."
That is not Chad nor how he runs his business. If he cold make you a sub and take your money he would and he would make you a great sub but he can't.
In the past it has always been a supplier issue that has caused the problem and as you know from ur schooling even the best laid plans have supplier problems. ALL companies have supplier problems that are out of your control. By the time he tries to find some one to make replacment parts, manufacturing, quality control, testing, fixing (the first one never works right) again and again would be a waste of money and time. If I remember correctly he spent over 3 months on the design and testing of the current line up.
At least he's not one of those "sketchy" places that will take your order, money and then not get you a product for 3-12 months, lie, lie some more and lie even more.
So considering the options I think he is doing the best thing and leting everybody know whats up. An I am sorry but with all the MBA types stealing and running companies into the grounds and ruining peoples lives I like Chads approach much better. Enron, etc...

But on the subside of things James, if you can wait and get over the frustration of the delay( My Conquest was almost 7weeks and well worth the wait) you will be greatly rewarded every day you hear it. If you can't wait and need something now, I understand that , but don't start trashing and being a troll about something you know nothing about. Go buy your sub elsewhere (Best Buy and Walmart are having sales this weekend I hear get a HTIB)and there will be no hard feelings when you come back!!

Have a Great Holiday and safe New Year!!

On another note I just started the veneering of my speakers and should have the Conquest veneered after the 1st. I have been practing the last couple months to make sure I do it right but what a giant PITA and next time I will pay somebody to do it. When its done I'll post the pics and I think you are going to love it and the stain I picked is hot!!

Game idea- take all the letters I missed or typed incorrectly and see what words you can spell with them!!
post #10103 of 20368 Old 11-28-2009, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by opiy View Post

I really wish this thread would get back on topic.

I agree, I visited this thread late Friday afternoon and this morning all I'm reading the last page and a half is usless bickering back and forth
post #10104 of 20368 Old 11-28-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
The Dragon is an amazing sub. We had family over for thanksgiving and watch Revenge of the Fall and UP. They were amazed at how good the bass was. I had the thing pumping pretty loud too. They also said it sounds like a movie theater. Good Stuff!!

Happy Holidays!
post #10105 of 20368 Old 11-28-2009, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
My Phoenix was 3 weeks, order to front door delivery. Don't know how long it will take Chad to ramp back up. Basing a time frame on what I read on Epik's site, sounds like it's going to be after the first of the year.

If you absolutely need a sub now, there are plenty of places to get one....some pretty good ones, too.

But, if you can wait, it is worth it.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #10106 of 20368 Old 11-28-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

The Dragon is an amazing sub. We had family over for thanksgiving and watch Revenge of the Fall and UP. They were amazed at how good the bass was. I had the thing pumping pretty loud too. They also said it sounds like a movie theater. Good Stuff!!

Happy Holidays!

Good to hear! I'm still amazed at Star Trek from last weekend, great LFE in that movie. I have never seen either of the Transformer movies. I'll have to rent on Blu-ray.
post #10107 of 20368 Old 11-28-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Good to hear! I'm still amazed at Star Trek from last weekend, great LFE in that movie.

What is LFE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Happy Holidays!

That is what you want to hear. I can't wait to get my Phoenix dialed in when I finish collecting all my speakers. It will be exciting i'm sure.

My small equipment list in on profile.
post #10108 of 20368 Old 11-28-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Low Frequency Effects.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #10109 of 20368 Old 11-28-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

Low Frequency Effects.

Yep
post #10110 of 20368 Old 11-28-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Stark Trek is a good movie. I've seen it on blu and it has a good amount of LFE.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page