Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 20368 Old 10-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
damn thats some huge excursion also. What are you playing there towards the end, like 8hz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 12:52 AM

Liked: 10
Yes you SHOULD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolfe38 View Post

i should make one of those excursion videos of the conquest playing pods emerging and upload it on youtube for you guys, hehe.

post #993 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 06:47 AM

I see alot of people wanting a comparison of the Conquest (or Tower) to the ultra 13 but after talking to Chad I am not sure the Caliber or possibly the Castle might not be a better comparison. I am a little interested to see how Chad's lower end subs compare to the ED E5-350. ED also has the A7-450 coming out and for $785 including a 1300 watt amp, it could be a real contender.

Great days to be bass head
post #994 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvckmiller View Post

I see alot of people wanting a comparison of the Conquest (or Tower) to the ultra 13 but after talking to Chad I am not sure the Caliber or possibly the Castle might not be a better comparison.

Even on sound quality?
post #995 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
There seems to be a lot of specualation as to the actual tuning of the ported Epiks. No one seems to know for sure. Obviously this has a huge effect on how deep the low extension is. Specs on the Epiks are very hard to come by. Estimates on the tuning for the Conquest are at >20-22hz.

Chad: How about coming forth with these specs?
post #996 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 08:03 AM
btp
AVS Special Member

I don't doubt the Epik subs are a quality product, but I just couldn't see plunking down $1600 for a Conquest without even having the full specs on it.

Edit: Wouldn't it be better to tune lower, say 15 Hz, and then use EQ if necessary to tailor the response above 20 Hz? If you tune to 20-22 Hz, I don't think you can EQ the low (infrasonic) end back up in a ported design because you will quickly reach excursion limits of the driver as you dip below the tuning point.

Signature Challenged.
post #997 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

That 20-22hz number is just a number that was estimated by a couple of knowledgeble folks, not a hard measurement. It was also estimated that in order to tune it to 15hz would require ports tubes 2 meters in length. That could present a problem.
post #998 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 AM
btp
AVS Special Member

Right. I calculated the box would have 11.67 ft^3 internal volume if it was a simple 3/4" MDF box. Subtract more for double thick front baffle, driver, port tubes, bracing, and the net working volume has got to be around 10 ft^3 or maybe lower. For 15 Hz, two six inch ports would have to be around 63 inches long. Even at 20 Hz the port tubes would have to be in the ballpark 33.5 inches long. So it seems extremely likely that the port tubes make a bend inside the cabinet.

Signature Challenged.
post #999 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't speak for everyone else- but when I say it sounds clean, I'm referring to sound quality. I hear bass with texture when appropriate, and bass that is smooth as silk when appropriate. I owned an HGS-10 up until a couple of years ago, and an SVS PC-Ultra up until a month ago. The PC-Ultra (again, not the current one ) was great for movies, decent for music; it did not have the "stop on a dime" control that the Velodyne had- especially evident in mid bass in most music.

Quote:

The effortless control over midbass that the Tower exhibits makes my old PB12 sound sloppy too. It's something that I 'knew' was missing with the the PB12 since I have a few other DIY sealed subwoofers, but now that I've got the Tower its very clear that something isn't right or lacking with the upper bass region of the PB12. The Tower is much more articulate in that region not to mention it hits lower than the PB12.

Having heard many of the same subs as metioned, I always came away shaking my head with my referance for SQ ability being DD's and HGS's as well, and while I have heard talk about the potential for musicality in these overbuilt, big, ported units, I have never heard them close enough in musicality to warrant getting the extra output and depth for the trade-off in sound quality across the board.
It's funny that some of those that never would acknowledge a difficiancy before seem to be experiancing the differance now.
Quote:

The Conquest, OTOH, sounds cleaner, plays much louder, much lower, and exhibits that effortless control over midbass that the PC-Ultra could not ever muster- very similar to the Velodyne. I never thought I'd say this, but the PC-Ultra sounded sloppy compared to the Conquest.

I really hope that this might be the company that builds to satisfy every need - hopefully , even builds some of 'em smaller too , at some point.

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
post #1000 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Open letter to Chad:

Chad, you, like the rest of us here, are a sub guy. That's why you have managed to design and build the kind of subs that are so appealing to us sub guys. You also should realize that we sub guys love examining specifications. Tuning frequency, X-max, frequency response, max SPL, distortion, graphs, numbers, the more the better. We eat it right up. I ask you to seriously consider determining and posting as much detailed info as you can for your whole line. We will love you for it.
post #1001 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I just want to hear him nail the low C on his Upright Bass!

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #1002 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:

i should make one of those excursion videos of the conquest playing pods emerging and upload it on youtube for you guys, hehe.

Hey Matt, whats the progress on this

Cause I would love to see a vid of the Conquests excursion.
post #1003 of 20368 Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

you know i got home at like 3:30 and after eating some lunch and reading some threads on here, i went to go play with the sub and sure enough the neighbor was home about 2 minutes later. Plus my wife will be home in a few minutes so i don't think it will be today. Probably not until friday.
post #1004 of 20368 Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chad, you, like the rest of us here, are a sub guy. That's why you have managed to design and build the kind of subs that are so appealing to us sub guys. You also should realize that we sub guys love examining specifications. Tuning frequency, X-max, frequency response, max SPL, distortion, graphs, numbers, the more the better. We eat it right up. I ask you to seriously consider determining and posting as much detailed info as you can for your whole line. We will love you for it.

While a good idea for us, it might just be TMI for him....I wonder if he wants all the DIYers and other IDs to know everything about his designs??

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #1005 of 20368 Old 10-24-2007, 10:26 AM
btp
AVS Special Member

Yeah, well, even some very basic performance specs would be nice. No FR (-3 dB) is specified at all, let alone ground plane measurements. Just look at the "specifications" for the Conquest:

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/Conque...fications.html

Leaves a lot to be desired, don't you think?

Before anyone asks... no, I haven't read the blog and don't intend to.

Signature Challenged.
post #1006 of 20368 Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

keepin' it real ey? Anti bloggers unite!
In case your wondering, It doesnt really have much specs on there except some measurements from TN. Mostly just pictures, updates on prices/products etc.

If i can ever get my damn room eq software to work i'll post some graphs.. I actually had it working in windows the other day but my input levels were low and so i don't think the graphs were accurate and i deleted them. Since then i havent been able to get it working at all (i primarily use ubuntu linux and have had no luck getting REW to capture the microphone input correctly for some damn reason). I hate booting windows as all my work/school stuff is in linux. But i have issues with REW in windows also. I'm beginning to wonder if my SB Live 5.1 soundcard which is like 7 years old needs replacing.
post #1007 of 20368 Old 10-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

damn thats some huge excursion also. What are you playing there towards the end, like 8hz?

Wasn't my vid...found it on youtube.

-The Dave
----Check my QUAD 18" Fi IB Build Thread!! (DONE) King of the 400 lb Gorilla
post #1008 of 20368 Old 10-24-2007, 01:18 PM

It looks like the conquest will arrive at it's new home by Friday.

Popping blue and red pills
post #1009 of 20368 Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Ahem, Chad, I believe you owe me an update on that 12"

I just decided what front and center's to purchase and now I need a sub to go with them and I think I'd like it to be yours!
post #1010 of 20368 Old 10-24-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolby7 View Post

It looks like the conquest will arrive at it's new home by Friday.

Me too.

HEY! We are trying to get some sleep up here!
post #1011 of 20368 Old 10-24-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

What I would like is some knowledgable 3rd party testing Epik subs against ED subs against SVS and the rest
post #1012 of 20368 Old 10-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

What I would like is some knowledgable 3rd party testing Epik subs against ED subs against SVS and the rest

I can understand that. I am on the verge of ordering the Conquest but I keep holding myself back waiting for some more testing/reviews. Just basically more info about the sub and not making a blind jump based off of faith and little outside review.

Chad is great and his sub looks very promising but I have to make sure as I can't just drop this kind of cash on a product that I have not seen or heard. Grrr......must.......resist.

-The Dave
----Check my QUAD 18" Fi IB Build Thread!! (DONE) King of the 400 lb Gorilla
post #1013 of 20368 Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Chad

This is somewhat of a noob question, but have you considered a downward firing version of the Conquest? Esthetically I would prefer the sub not come out so far into the room. Also in some of the earlier posts, a couple of the new Conquest owners had to turn their sub sideways to get better room EQ. I assume this means the sub's acoustic center needed to be placed closer to a wall. It seems a downward firing sub would increase placement flexibility.

If there are technical reasons why this particular driver or ports in general can't be downward firing, I'm just curious to know what they are.

Thanks,
Darrell
post #1014 of 20368 Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 AM

Just so you guys know, they got some pics of the Valor up on the site products section (I know a few were waiting for it)
post #1015 of 20368 Old 10-25-2007, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post

Hi Chad

This is somewhat of a noob question, but have you considered a downward firing version of the Conquest? Esthetically I would prefer the sub not come out so far into the room. Also in some of the earlier posts, a couple of the new Conquest owners had to turn their sub sideways to get better room EQ. I assume this means the sub's acoustic center needed to be placed closer to a wall. It seems a downward firing sub would increase placement flexibility.

If there are technical reasons why this particular driver or ports in general can't be downward firing, I'm just curious to know what they are.

Thanks,
Darrell

Actually, my Caliber is laying on it's side (and facing sideways toward my center channel), and I think Dennis' Conquest is laying on it's side as well (from his initial picture). He may have been trying to keep the height down to fit under his screen. Mine just fit under the screen in the upright position, but for room EQ I was sitting about a foot too low. Perhaps that was more a case of needing to lower the sub's "acoustic center" closer to the ground. I wouldn't have had that option with a down-firing sub.
post #1016 of 20368 Old 10-25-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukoplast View Post

Just so you guys know, they got some pics of the Valor up on the site products section (I know a few were waiting for it)

Nice, it looks just like the one he shipped me The wife can't find the camera charger, so she's SOL for this weekend's party too. Hopefully that will motivate her to find the dumb thing.
post #1017 of 20368 Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 AM

I tried the Conquest standing up in the corner, but it didn't sound good, so I ended up putting it on its side under my FP screen. In this position, I only have 1 frequency hump at my seating position (a 9 db hump centered at around 32HZ), and it is remarkably flat over the rest of the frequency range- and this is without any EQ or bass traps. This is not to say it sounds better on its side- it just sounds better on its side in my room, in that specific position.

-Dennis
post #1018 of 20368 Old 10-25-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:

This is not to say it sounds better on its side- it just sounds better on its side in my room, in that specific position.

Next time use a fine print for these type of statements. It is too hard to poke holes and start a flame contest when it is perfectly stated and easy to read like that.

HEY! We are trying to get some sleep up here!
post #1019 of 20368 Old 10-25-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The better response on the side may be due to a cancellation null being created by the distance from the driver to the floor. Typically this happens in the upper bass region and is commonly known in prosound circles when setting up their subs in a venu where subs are a certain distance from a back wall for example. Sometimes it can also be addressed in a dedicated home theater environment by locating the sub face in a baffle wall.
post #1020 of 20368 Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Next time use a fine print for these type of statements. It is too hard to poke holes and start a flame contest when it is perfectly stated and easy to read like that.

I'll try and remember that for next time...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page