post #11281 of 20408 Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleATheater View Post

For the laptop I use the Behringer UCA 202, it's usb and works great. I tried it after being recommended by quite a few others, it's also cost efficient. If interested in where I bought it you can PM me.

I know this is off topic but I really need some help with calibrating this soundcard. It's my first time using an external soundcard and I can't figure out how to adjust the levels for use in REW. When I use the REW calibration it tells me it's -37.5dB and needs to be -10dB. Please walk me through what I'm supposed to be doing. I would love to be able to run some sweeps this weekend.

P.S. I did read the instructions on Home Theater Shack.

The problem with obsessions is that they are insatiable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11282 of 20408 Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

New to subwoofer question. When people say they're running their sub/subs a few dbs hot, what exactly do they mean? Upping the setting that Audyssey makes a few dbs or a few dbs into the positive side of the range ex. -1, 0, +1, +2. I think it's the first..... thanks!

Yes, "hot" means louder.

If you measure with an SPL meter like from Radio shack, matching the sub's level to the mains means you're already 2-3dB hot. That's because the RS meter is less sensitive in the bass frequency range. If you notch it up a few dB from there, you're technically 4-5dB hot.

One thing to remember is that unless your in-room frequency response is fairly flat, some bass frequencies will be louder and some will be quieter. If you play a sweep tone, say from 200Hz down to 20Hz (like on the Avia test DVD), you'll hear the bass get louder and quieter at different frequencies, which also shows up very well on the meter. The bass test tone for calibration, though, plays over a range of frequencies, which is why the needle jumps around.

Why using other people's TV settings is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11283 of 20408 Old 02-02-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven View Post

I know this is off topic but I really need some help with calibrating this soundcard. It's my first time using an external soundcard and I can't figure out how to adjust the levels for use in REW. When I use the REW calibration it tells me it's -37.5dB and needs to be -10dB. Please walk me through what I'm supposed to be doing. I would love to be able to run some sweeps this weekend.

Basically, to calibrate the soundcard, you hook the output back into the input. Then to set the levels, you'll have to set the output level in REW/Windows mixer, adjust the volume level on the receiver (turn it up if not loud enough), and the measured range on the SPL meter.

Have you tried the online REW manual?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/room...tml/index.html

REW Forums:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/

Why using other people's TV settings is a

post #11284 of 20408 Old 02-02-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Basically, to calibrate the soundcard, you hook the output back into the input. Then to set the levels, you'll have to set the output level in REW/Windows mixer, adjust the volume level on the receiver (turn it up if not loud enough), and the measured range on the SPL meter.

Have you tried the online REW manual?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/room...tml/index.html

REW Forums:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/

That's the problem. I can't adjust the levels. Unless I'm missing something when I open up the Windows mixer all the levels are pegged and adjusting them does nothing to the levels in REW. I have read the manual and I believe I have the soundcard hooked up in a loopback for calibration. Thanks for the help.

post #11285 of 20408 Old 02-02-2010, 05:02 PM

My Empire shipped today. It will be replacing my Def Tech supercube 1. Here is a list of my setup:
JL Fathom 112
DT Supercube 1
Mythos 1 mains
Mythos 8 center
DT RSS II sides and surrounds
Onkyo 5007
12' wide dalite screen
Optoma TX1080 projector
~6000 cu. ft. room

I'm hoping the JL can keep up and compliment the new Epik.
post #11286 of 20408 Old 02-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidingTheShaft View Post

My Empire shipped today. It will be replacing my Def Tech supercube 1. Here is a list of my setup:
JL Fathom 112
DT Supercube 1
Mythos 1 mains
Mythos 8 center
DT RSS II sides and surrounds
Onkyo 5007
12' wide dalite screen
Optoma TX1080 projector
~6000 cu. ft. room

I'm hoping the JL can keep up and compliment the new Epik.

Please report back on how the Epik Empire compares to the JL Audio F112 for music.

Thanks in advance.
post #11287 of 20408 Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Yes, "hot" means louder.

If you measure with an SPL meter like from Radio shack, matching the sub's level to the mains means you're already 2-3dB hot. That's because the RS meter is less sensitive in the bass frequency range. If you notch it up a few dB from there, you're technically 4-5dB hot.

One thing to remember is that unless your in-room frequency response is fairly flat, some bass frequencies will be louder and some will be quieter. If you play a sweep tone, say from 200Hz down to 20Hz (like on the Avia test DVD), you'll hear the bass get louder and quieter at different frequencies, which also shows up very well on the meter. The bass test tone for calibration, though, plays over a range of frequencies, which is why the needle jumps around.

Thanks for the great explanation. Currently I have very limited positions I can put my subs in so I'm a bit stuck there, no crawl for me. I've only ran Audyssey thus far and increased the bass response to the subs +3db from what it set it at. Sounds decent so far but I could use a little more on the LFE.
post #11288 of 20408 Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingOK View Post

I should have more mid bass while still having some great bottom end. I personally like to really feel the kick drum, etc. and it'll be interesting to see how it fits into my listening room. I'll only have a day to test it out and then it goes to get veneered. And yes, Chad said the finish is different than on my other three Epiks.

DoingOK, we are counting on you to give us a great comparison vs. you other Epiks. What are you orther 3 Epiks again??
post #11289 of 20408 Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

DoingOK, we are counting on you to give us a great comparison vs. you other Epiks. What are you orther 3 Epiks again??

I have a Castle, Vanquish and Sentinel.

post #11290 of 20408 Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 PM

Liked: 21
[quote=DoingOK;18058427]I have a Castle, Vanquish and Sentinel.QUOTE]

Must be nice!

I have 2 MFWs, a BK LFE and a valor right now, but wish I just had one real pumper like the castle.
post #11291 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysan View Post

Wow, I guess I've never scrolled down far enough before. I stand corrected (and now, possibly infected )

This made me laugh.

I also received a threat message. Has this been fixed yet?
post #11292 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't see the Empire listed on the Epik website anywhere... anyone have a "missing link" to where I might find their information, specs, etc.?

-steve

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #11293 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I don't see the Empire listed on the Epik website anywhere... anyone have a "missing link" to where I might find their information, specs, etc.?

Like they are having some site issues in the blog/news section...where the Empire was posted.

Wishful thinking, but maybe they are updating with some new info....or specs
post #11294 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 AM

I think your right its been down all morning, hopefully some info coming later today.
post #11295 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

Some more thoughts/oberservations. Out of the box it is very clean looking and compact. Much more WAF friendly. The finish is defiently much finer than the Tower. Running your finger nails along it, it feels smooth. Also, the foam surrounds feels/looks similair to the Tower's. The box sounds solid when tapping the sides with knuckles and the cabinet is tremble free. Similair "spring" and texture when I examiend it. But the drivers are defiently different. Don't underestimate the size of the Empire. Althought dwarfed by the Tower, that thing is heavy. Realll pressure to get it in place on carpet. Had to take the grills of and do a power lift/hug from tile to carpet to get it in place.
Matched it at 75db to my Fronts, crossed at 80hz and played some music to losen it up. By ears alone, it sounds fuller than the Tower. About the same down low (mabye less impact), but defiently more "middle". Bob Marleys - "Pimpers Paradise" and "Sun is Shining" sounded really, really good. And they just seem to compliment my Ascend 340 se even more....the bass was seamless yet there.
Popped in WoW chapter 4.........what can I say.....destruction. My favorite scenes aside from the regualars with the Tower is where Tom is running from the lasers and he turns a corner passing some houses, and in the background the lasers just shreads and destroy the houses behind him. Destruction!!! Also, when he and the kids are in the stolen minivan, the scene where the highway ramp with trucks n cars get destroyed by some passes of the laser behind them...........DESTRUCTION!!!.
Impressive. The size is really friendly compared to the Tower. I could see my self with 3 more in a room. They're not as imposing as the Tower and can be tucked away in a corner. We'll see what REW says tomorrow.

I fully expected the Tower to win the "down low" battle and sheer output, but the Empire to have more midbass impact or that "kick you in the chest" feeling. It sounds almost like you prefer it through the entire frequency spectrum. What's the final verdict? Hard to tell from your descriptions above.
post #11296 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Like they are having some site issues in the blog/news section...where the Empire was posted.

Wishful thinking, but maybe they are updating with some new info....or specs

Or perhaps in Epik style they now have discontinued the Empire??
post #11297 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 AM

Does anyone have the direct link to the Empire order page? Thanks.
post #11298 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddqha View Post

Does anyone have the direct link to the Empire order page? Thanks.

Read a couple of posts up.

post #11299 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven View Post

Read a couple of posts up.

The blog may be down, but Epik emailed links to the Empire order page. I am looking for the direct link to the order page. Unless the link is down as well.

Regards
post #11300 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddqha View Post

The blog may be down, but Epik emailed links to the Empire order page. I am looking for the direct link to the order page. Unless the link is down as well.

Regards

To order one:
http://store.epiksubwoofers.com/Prod...ductCode=E-160

To order two:
http://store.epiksubwoofers.com/Prod...ductCode=E-162
post #11301 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by getech View Post

Or perhaps in Epik style they now have discontinued the Empire??

Man you really are a piece of work. If your only reason to be here is to bash Epik, why are you in this thread?

Their blog got hacked/infected with spyware, which was the only place you could order an Empire. Chad clearly stated to several customers that he would have the regular Empire ordering page up shortly, and to please have patience until they can fully move in to their new facility. Having the blog hacked certainly couldn't have made things any easier on them.

Looks like they received a lot of Empire orders and they're probably just trying to catch up.
post #11302 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Yikes at shipping...understandable given they have to use special logistics company given the weight of these things.

I keep reading here that people who are ordering are finding they have to pick up their shipments. Is this customary with the logistics company used?
post #11303 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

...By ears alone, it sounds fuller than the Tower. About the same down low (mabye less impact), but defiently more "middle". ... We'll see what REW says tomorrow.

I have a question, not necessarily to TnTBigman but to all knowledgeable. If one has used REW and EQed their SUB A (eg., Tower) and their SUB B (e.g., Empire) to about the same FR curve (flat or not it does not matter much) shouldn't the two sound very similar? Then how is it possible for B to have more mid bass than A or A to be better lower than B within the equalized range?

I assume there might be a headroom/compression argument. At very high levels the differences might show. But if one is listening below reference (say -10 or -5) is headroom an issue?

I have a Sentinel and I am wondering what I might be missing (and why) with an Empire or something similar.

post #11304 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Yikes at shipping...understandable given they have to use special logistics company given the weight of these things.

I keep reading here that people who are ordering are finding they have to pick up their shipments. Is this customary with the logistics company used?

Where did you read that? Mine was delivered. I think some people are impatient and choose to go pick theirs up at a terminal, rather than wait for a delivery date one or two days ahead.

Date Time Pieces Activity Location Remarks
02-Feb-2010 1145 1 Delivered Newark, NJ, US NAME
02-Feb-2010 1003 1 Out for Delivery Newark, NJ, US
02-Feb-2010 0036 1 In Transit From Newark, NJ, US TRK 68020110 FLT TRK0001/01 ETA EWR 0400/02
02-Feb-2010 0006 1 Scanned Newark, NJ, US
31-Jan-2010 1500 1 Arrived Newark, NJ, US
30-Jan-2010 1200 1 Departed Chicago/O~hare Airport, IL, US
29-Jan-2010 1159 1 Scanned Chicago/O~hare Airport, IL, US
28-Jan-2010 2124 1 Scanned Rockford, IL, US
28-Jan-2010 1333 1 Shipment Labeled Rockford, IL, US
28-Jan-2010 1333 1 Received Rockford, IL, US
post #11305 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 PM

Sweet... I hope it kicks ass so you will want to sell your Sentinel. LoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingOK View Post

I had a nice long conversation with Chad today about the Empire. I won't speak for him but he says he hopes to have the specs up real soon. Had a lot of other nice information and he answered my questions about differences between the Sentinel and the Empire that will be replacing it. Very busy over there and I wish him continued success. Too bad the Empire is being delivered today but I'm 225 miles away.

post #11306 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm1699 View Post

Where did you read that? Mine was delivered. I think some people are impatient and choose to go pick theirs up at a terminal, rather than wait for a delivery date one or two days ahead.

Date Time Pieces Activity Location Remarks
02-Feb-2010 1145 1 Delivered Newark, NJ, US NAME
02-Feb-2010 1003 1 Out for Delivery Newark, NJ, US
02-Feb-2010 0036 1 In Transit From Newark, NJ, US TRK 68020110 FLT TRK0001/01 ETA EWR 0400/02
02-Feb-2010 0006 1 Scanned Newark, NJ, US
31-Jan-2010 1500 1 Arrived Newark, NJ, US
30-Jan-2010 1200 1 Departed Chicago/O~hare Airport, IL, US
29-Jan-2010 1159 1 Scanned Chicago/O~hare Airport, IL, US
28-Jan-2010 2124 1 Scanned Rockford, IL, US
28-Jan-2010 1333 1 Shipment Labeled Rockford, IL, US
28-Jan-2010 1333 1 Received Rockford, IL, US

In my case it was actually 5 days ahead
post #11307 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Thanks, MDM, I misread impatience as necessity.
post #11308 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Any words of wisdom on placement of the Empire? With dual-drivers (assuming they are back to back) what considerations for placement near room boundaries should be taken into account? Room constraints and WAF make the ideal physical (not sonic) location in my room, in a corner - with one side and the back pretty tight to the walls. At first thought, I am wondering if this would work. We're talking about 3-4" max displacement from the walls.

-steve

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #11309 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 12:40 PM

I've been following this thread for a while and the question about placement has come up several times including once by myself. Chad was quoted as stating that 4" from the wall was fine and it was also brought up in the Submersive forum since that subwoofer is a similar design that it was also acceptable.

I'm banking on it since I bought two and only have about 4"-6" of clearance on my side walls were my subs are going to be positioned.
post #11310 of 20408 Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

Any words of wisdom on placement of the Empire? With dual-drivers (assuming they are back to back) what considerations for placement near room boundaries should be taken into account? Room constraints and WAF make the ideal physical (not sonic) location in my room, in a corner - with one side and the back pretty tight to the walls. At first thought, I am wondering if this would work. We're talking about 3-4" max displacement from the walls.

Several pages back (page 372 yikes!), someone posted info quoted from from Chad K., the owner/designer of Epik that 3" would be fine for clearance on the driver side so you should be good to go.

I see that Ordman beat me to it! But as I recall, the quote was that it was OK from 2-3" and greater clearance

Not a problem. Chad said 2 to 3 inches works best.

=>><<=robobob
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page