Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 403 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #12061 of 20378 Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Holy Smokes on an impulese I order a pair of empires yesterday and just got an email that they shipped. I got a tracking number for dbschenker but punching it in nothing comes up yet. To those that ordered any idea how long it takes to reflect in their system, and how long it takes on average to come to your door at this stage?

When they deliver do they at least make sure its inside your front doors or is it a curbside delivery? With 2 140lb boxes just hoping things go smoothly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 20378 Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eantala View Post

Holy Smokes on an impulese I order a pair of empires yesterday and just got an email that they shipped. I got a tracking number for dbschenker but punching it in nothing comes up yet. To those that ordered any idea how long it takes to reflect in their system, and how long it takes on average to come to your door at this stage?

When they deliver do they at least make sure its inside your front doors or is it a curbside delivery? With 2 140lb boxes just hoping things go smoothly.

It took about 4 days shipping time from IL to Vegas for me. It'll take some odd hours for any info to pop up on the shippers site. There is no way 2 Empires will fit through the front door on the pallet LOL. I had my delivery guy plop the pallet in the garage and I unstrapped everything and hand-trucked them into the front door one at a time. There was a small 6" "scuff" puncture on one of the boxes but since it was double boxed, the interior box was not damaged at all, nor the contents for that matter.

Getting them out of the box was "fun" LOL ... had to rotate on side and slide them out carefully. Make sure you rotate where the front of the sub is face down because the other 3 sides are the rear with the connectors and the two drivers and I didn't want either of those 3 sides face down on the floor. I HIGHLY recommend furniture mover discs that you can get everywhere and plop them under the sub feet. It makes moving them around extremely easy. The feet are rubber and are NOT carpet friendly.

Congrats on your purchase and let us know how you like them!

ala Yoda...

"Tweeters". Heh! "Treble". Heh! A basshead craves not these things! ...
post #12063 of 20378 Old 02-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The initial info should take about 24 hours to reflect from when you received the tracking no. (at least it did for my order)

Regarding the delivery. I am in the middle of sorting this out now, DB Shenker cannot seem to find the package on the truck. . . although it arrived yesterday. I took the time off to go pick this up and now dont know if I will even be able to do that. I get the details of delivery directly from DB Shenker and they said that they drop it off at the curb and that is it.

Let us know how you make out, I am a little annoyed with DB Schenker at this point. The lady on the other end of the phone made me feel like I am putting her out by calling and scheduling this.

-B
post #12064 of 20378 Old 02-19-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eantala View Post

Here's how it went for me. Tracking # was on the site in about 12 hours. Actual final delivery was to Billings, MT. I could have received it on the 14th but wasn't home when they called. The driver helped me get it on the porch. Enjoy!!

15-Feb-2010 1158 1 Out for Delivery Denver, CO, US
12-Feb-2010 1138 1 Arrived Toledo, OH, US
12-Feb-2010 0600 1 Departed Chicago/O~hare Airport, IL, US
12-Feb-2010 0432 1 Scanned Chicago/O~hare Airport, IL, US
12-Feb-2010 0010 1 Arrived Chicago/O~hare Airport, IL, US
11-Feb-2010 2230 1 Departed Rockford, IL, US
11-Feb-2010 2145 1 Scanned Rockford, IL, US
11-Feb-2010 1924 1 Shipment Labeled Rockford, IL, US
11-Feb-2010 1425 1 Received Rockford, IL, US
post #12065 of 20378 Old 02-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post

Getting them out of the box was "fun" LOL ...

open all 4 flaps on both boxes and turn the whole mess over, then you can just lift off the packaging and end up with an upside down sub sitting on the top foam padding. then roll it onto the front and remove the last foam. sliding it around on the front (assuming carpet) is quite easy as well. hook it up like that (the amp will be facing up), try all the spots, and when you find home just roll it onto its feet. despite its mass, i had no difficulty handling it myself this way.
post #12066 of 20378 Old 02-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerm2 View Post

Here's how it went for me. Tracking # was on the site in about 12 hours. Actual final delivery was to Billings, MT. I could have received it on the 14th but wasn't home when they called. The driver helped me get it on the porch. Enjoy!!

15-Feb-2010 1158 1 Out for Delivery Denver, CO, US
12-Feb-2010 1138 1 Arrived Toledo, OH, US
12-Feb-2010 0600 1 Departed Chicago/O~hare Airport, IL, US
12-Feb-2010 0432 1 Scanned Chicago/O~hare Airport, IL, US
12-Feb-2010 0010 1 Arrived Chicago/O~hare Airport, IL, US
11-Feb-2010 2230 1 Departed Rockford, IL, US
11-Feb-2010 2145 1 Scanned Rockford, IL, US
11-Feb-2010 1924 1 Shipment Labeled Rockford, IL, US
11-Feb-2010 1425 1 Received Rockford, IL, US

My delivery will take a little longer, but I also ordered it late on a Friday with the following Monday being a holiday.
My timeline
Ordered on Feb 12
Received shipping confirmation on Feb 16
ETA in San Diego Feb 23rd

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #12067 of 20378 Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 View Post

open all 4 flaps on both boxes and turn the whole mess over, then you can just lift off the packaging and end up with an upside down sub sitting on the top foam padding. then roll it onto the front and remove the last foam. sliding it around on the front (assuming carpet) is quite easy as well. hook it up like that (the amp will be facing up), try all the spots, and when you find home just roll it onto its feet. despite its mass, i had no difficulty handling it myself this way.

I will do just that! Thanks for the tip!
post #12068 of 20378 Old 02-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000 View Post

My delivery will take a little longer, but I also ordered it late on a Friday with the following Monday being a holiday.
My timeline
Ordered on Feb 12
Received shipping confirmation on Feb 16
ETA in San Diego Feb 23rd

Did you get that ETA from the shipping company? Because I think that's a worse case estimate. I received mine, delivered, 2 days before the delivery estimate.

ala Yoda...

post #12069 of 20378 Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Did you get that ETA from the shipping company? Because I think that's a worse case estimate. I received mine, delivered, 2 days before the delivery estimate.

I did get the ETA from the shipping company. I sure hope they deliver it earlier...that would be nice.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #12070 of 20378 Old 02-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, here is my first attempt at REW. What do you guys think? This is both Empires spotted after an hour of crawling around hehe. I followed the calibration instruction to a tee, at least I thought so. I prolly screwed something up though. Please fire away with questions and try this and try that so I can make sure I did this right.

Don

By the way ... How do I actually insert the image in here instead of a link you have to click to see? Do I have to upload it to a 3rd party and "Insert Image"? If so, who can I use to host this file? Thanks.

Attachment 167684
LL

ala Yoda...

post #12071 of 20378 Old 02-19-2010, 11:56 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Ok, here is my first attempt at REW. What do you guys think? This is both Empires spotted after an hour of crawling around hehe. I followed the calibration instruction to a tee, at least I thought so. I prolly screwed something up though. Please fire away with questions and try this and try that so I can make sure I did this right.

Don

By the way ... How do I actually insert the image in here instead of a link you have to click to see? Do I have to upload it to a 3rd party and "Insert Image"? If so, who can I use to host this file? Thanks.

Attachment 167684

That actually doesn't look like a bad response for no EQ. No steep 12 db peaks or valleys, could be alot worse!

It's funny, I was in the same boat you were last week trying to figure out REW for my dual MFWs, and I feel like I did at least one thing wrong as well, haha. It is a lot to grasp all at once. And so many advanced options I have no freaking clue what to do with!

I would advise you to get a BFD like I did though. I've had it for about a week, and it really is a big step up.

I am also interested in how to post pictures on here without people having to click on a link. So +1 on the posting picture instructions....
post #12072 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 12:05 AM

I just bought another empire Thursday to go with my other one I ordered Tuesday. Hey why the hell not right! So I will have 1 valor, 2 MFWs, and two empires all at once. Maybe I'll go out and get a couple more Y splitters so I can have them all bumping simultaneously. That would probably spoil me actually. I'd have myself quad empires by the end of the month.... and dual ruptured eardrums....

I was thinking before I had this plan to get an empire and then maybe get another after I heard it, since I dropped about $1700 after shipping for the dual empires, I was thinking why not go for something with 1 MASSIVE UBER driver, instead of 4 15"s since I just love truly bad-ass drivers. But nothing came to mind. The PB13 is right around that price, and is actually more $ than the two empires. I thought about it, and realized I would be choosing between 1 13" driver, vs 4 15" drivers! How could that possibly, in any realm of sanity make sense if you are looking for straight output? So I said no to that idea. The DTS-20, A7-900, and submersive all have multiple drivers and are HUGE. The conquest is discontinued, and the PB13 just doesn't have enough surface area for the $ I think. What else out there really would make sense that has 1 crazy nuts driver?
post #12073 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

I would advise you to get a BFD like I did though. I've had it for about a week, and it really is a big step up.

I am also interested in how to post pictures on here without people having to click on a link. So +1 on the posting picture instructions....

Yes, I knew I forgot something in my post. I DID pick up a BFD today but haven't touched it yet. I can't wait though! I think I'm going to pick up a USB to MIDI module though so I can send the filters straight to the BFD from my laptop.

ala Yoda...

post #12074 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That actually doesn't look like a bad response for no EQ. No steep 12 db peaks or valleys, could be ....

Actually, I've got the friggin GRAND CANYON at around 86hz LOL ... but nothing I don't think can't be fixed.

ala Yoda...

post #12075 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
To embed a picture, copy the online url of where the picture is uploaded (ends in "...jpg"). Then you click on the button second from the right (yellow box with mountains in it, says "insert image" when you mouse over). Click that, paste the URL into the pop-up box, and it auto-tags it in your post.

If you don't have a place to post it, do the Advanced reply and attach it directly to the post.

Regarding your graph, dondino, that looks pretty darn good.
post #12076 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just bought another empire Thursday to go with my other one I ordered Tuesday. Hey why the hell not right! So I will have 1 valor, 2 MFWs, and two empires all at once. Maybe I'll go out and get a couple more Y splitters so I can have them all bumping simultaneously. That would probably spoil me actually. I'd have myself quad empires by the end of the month.... and dual ruptured eardrums....

I was thinking before I had this plan to get an empire and then maybe get another after I heard it, since I dropped about $1700 after shipping for the dual empires, I was thinking why not go for something with 1 MASSIVE UBER driver, instead of 4 15"s since I just love truly bad-ass drivers. But nothing came to mind. The PB13 is right around that price, and is actually more $ than the two empires. I thought about it, and realized I would be choosing between 1 13" driver, vs 4 15" drivers! How could that possibly, in any realm of sanity make sense if you are looking for straight output? So I said no to that idea. The DTS-20, A7-900, and submersive all have multiple drivers and are HUGE. The conquest is discontinued, and the PB13 just doesn't have enough surface area for the $ I think. What else out there really would make sense that has 1 crazy nuts driver?

Man you and I were both on the same page. After a week of researching, I really wanted a conquest and would have definately ordered it but ... oh well. I was torn with the PB13 also, I had it narrowed down between it and dual Empires. But I've read so much about the benefits of duals I had to go that route. Plus just the one Empire was an upgrade for me as I was coming from a 12 year old Velo (which still sounds good, kudos to Velo). Submersive was looking soooo sweet but the WAF with the moolah killed that.

Yeah an 18" driver would have been nice but don't forget, dual 15" moves as much air as a 21" driver (if such a thing exists) so there's peace of mind with that. Anyhoot, I'm very happy with my purchase.

ala Yoda...

post #12077 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

To embed a picture, copy the online url of where the picture is uploaded (ends in "...jpg"). Then you click on the button second from the right (yellow box with mountains in it, says "insert image" when you mouse over). Click that, paste the URL into the pop-up box, and it auto-tags it in your post.

If you don't have a place to post it, do the Advanced reply and attach it directly to the post.

Regarding your graph, dondino, that looks pretty darn good.

Thanks Cyber, I did that however, attached it directly to the post in an advanced reply. All that did was create a link to the picture that was uploaded.

ala Yoda...

post #12078 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:

Yeah an 18" driver would have been nice but don't forget, dual 15" moves as much air as a 21" driver (if such a thing exists) so there's peace of mind with that. Anyhoot, I'm very happy with my purchase.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/T...ec%20sheet.pdf

I will have one of these one day. Think it will have enough output in a 800 square foot room?
post #12079 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnocchi View Post

I will have one of these one day. Think it will have enough output in a 800 square foot room?

That's insane... I love it! So, technically, one of those is equivalent to 2 Empires, from an "air pushing" point of view...

ala Yoda...

post #12080 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:

That's insane... I love it! So, technically, one of those is equivalent to 2 Empires, from an "air pushing" point of view...

I think one of those is equivalent to a category 5 hurricane worth of "air pushing".
post #12081 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:

Actually, I've got the friggin GRAND CANYON at around 86hz LOL ... but nothing I don't think can't be fixed.

That valley is likely from your crossover, but yeah that is bad. And unfortunately you will have trouble fixing it, unless you want to boost +16 on the BFD, which I think kind of made the bass sound weird when I did that with my MFWs. Plus that is like a 32db valley, and the BFD only goes up to +16! It's a pretty narrow bandwidth gap so you may just want to leave it, I don't know. CryberBri is the EQ pro around here. You sure arn't going to bring down the entire rest of the FR to get near the level of that valley's trough, I do know that! Good luck!

And as for that dual 21" horn sub,

WOW

3000 watts plus 109db sensitive = HEAVEN

Now I have to go get something to wipe the drool off my keyboard. What will one of those run you when the day comes to get yourself one?
post #12082 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:

Now I have to go get something to wipe the drool off my keyboard. What will one of those run you when the day comes to get yourself one?

If memory serves, please don't hold me to it, around 10,000 clams, and by clams, I mean bones.

To be honest, I am surprised that I have not seen someone with one of these monsters yet here on AVS.

I am still loving my Phoenix though.
post #12083 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

dondino, thats a nice looking response for un-eq'd n un-treated. whats the size of ur room again? how do you have the Empire placed in it (eg one in each corner etc).

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #12084 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:

Do not expect to fix that with the BFD. You sweep is only with the subs, right? Then this is phase cancellation not with the mains at the crossover but between the two subs themselves. Could possibly be adjusted by moving the relative positions of the subs. Wavelength at 86Hz is about 12 feet so perhaps 1-2 feet change in relative distance would do it.
Now of course you may create another null at some other frequency which you will have to smooth it down, and then may create another null.....Can get crazy

On the other hand, just put the microphone 2 feet away from your LP and problem solved with no effort

post #12085 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

dondino, thats a nice looking response for un-eq'd n un-treated. whats the size of ur room again? how do you have the Empire placed in it (eg one in each corner etc).

Thanks, the listening area is our living room which is 25x15x9 that has 3 openings. Attached is the floor plan with a rough layout of the system. As you can see, it leads to a larger great room. That opening is about 5 feet. I haven't experienced pressurization and I don't think I will because of that opening and the hall to the rest of the house but then again I really haven't pushed the Empires either.

So we're talking about 3375 cft in the listening area (minus the turret @ the main entrance) and the great room is probably twice that size.

I really wish I can figger out how to embad a pic in the thread! You wouldn't think I'm an IT tech for 20+ year eh? lol
LL

ala Yoda...

post #12086 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy133 View Post

Wavelength at 86Hz is about 12 feet so ...

Funny you should mention that because the subs are set at a 12' distance in the speaker set up on the Onkyo as configured by Audyssey. And yes those are only the subs.

ala Yoda...

post #12087 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:

I just bought another empire Thursday to go with my other one I ordered Tuesday....

Neumei,

I take it they gave you the dual price, curious anyone originally ordered one Empire, received it, then ordered a second? If so did they get the dual price break? I have had the Empire for almost two weeks, love it, considering adding another. Really don't "need" it but it would be nice.
post #12088 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Funny you should mention that because the subs are set at a 12' distance in the speaker set up on the Onkyo as configured by Audyssey. And yes those are only the subs.

You can go into the receiver's sub distance setting and experiment with different settings, although it mostly helps sub+speaker phase so I'm not sure what it would do for 2 subs. You could always try turning one sub 90 degrees just to see what happens on the REW graph. Rotating it would change where the sound is coming from, could give you a bit of a change in result.

Here is the combined response my sub and mains at various "sub distance" settings, with nothing else changed.

Then again, that dip is so narrow you probably aren't going to notice it much. When there's bass, it usually hits multiple frequencies at once, not just one narrow frequency band.
post #12089 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnocchi View Post

2 ohm impedance? imagine the amp you'll need...
post #12090 of 20378 Old 02-20-2010, 11:42 AM

OK, just picked up my dual empires this morning and wanted to give anyone interested my first impressions...HOLY CRAP these are unbelievable. as a background I've owned a SVS PB10-NSD, and Axiom EP-500, and my last sub was an Epik Sentinel. I hooked up just one of the empires first and it completely blew every other sub I've owned out of the water (forgive the enthusiasm, i can't help it). fantastic, tight, mid bass (haven't even run audyssey yet) and CRAZY low end. i was really worried about losing sacrificing the deep stuff going from a sentinel to a empire, but no one should ever worry about that. my girlfriend instantly could tell how much better it sounded than the last sub.

...and then i hooked up the second sub. Gobs and Gobs and Gobs of bass across every frequency. I literally could not believe it. I've been wanting subs that could duplicate the double bass i heard at a Gwar concert a couple months and i finally have it.

My regular bass test disc is the sonic cannon scene in the incredible hulk. i had both empires hooked up, and mistakenly had their gain on 12 o clock. terrible idea. why? because when those sonic cannons went off, oh my god, i've never NEVER experienced bass like that. it was like a giant grabbed my apartment and just shook the hell out of it. i thought the stud walls were going to fall apart. i had to hit the stop button immediately. it was too much. can you believe i just said that? I have too much bass. i had to turn the subs way down to a quarter of their gain just to finish the scene.

that's it for now. i'm going to continue working on placement and EQ to get everything dialed in perfectly. I have a feeling that as amazing as they sound now, they could go so much further in terms of sound quality once i fine tune everything and get some bass traps.
LL
LL
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page