9Likes

Old 02-24-2010, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post

Onkyo's EQ goes down to 25hz but isn't there much more to audyssey than xovers? I guess what I need to know is the order to run these EQ's. Do I set up my sub to my liking with REW and then run audyssey? Or will doing that screw up my REQ filters? I'm using a BFD.

(btw for those of you using BFD, get a usb to midi interface, makes it MUCH easier to program!)

Because Audyssey is all-or-nothing and is worth using, I would run Audyssey first to get your baseline. Then, use REW and the BFD to fine tune the response with additional filters.

You can always run REW with and without Audyssey turned on to see what it is doing in the 15-200hz region if you think something is funky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 02:22 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

Accoriding to the in-room REW graphs I posted between the Empire and Tower, the Empire has more output between 40-70Hz.

I was kind of more curious about which of them has more overall output, when they are pushed to their limits. That graph shows me what they are like when not strained, but I am wondering which one has the capability to grind out more overall output before they bottom out.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone have Dual, Dual Empire's yet?
Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukiwhitey View Post

Does anyone have Dual, Dual Empire's yet?

I believe quite a few have. Work your way back a few pages and you should be able to catch some comments and pictures as well.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

I believe quite a few have. Work your way back a few pages and you should be able to catch some comments and pictures as well.

I think he meant dual duals ... like 4 Empires... I've been following this thread pretty closely and I haven't seen anyone with 4 Empires.

ala Yoda...

"Tweeters". Heh! "Treble". Heh! A basshead craves not these things! ...
Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

I was kind of more curious about which of them has more overall output, when they are pushed to their limits. That graph shows me what they are like when not strained, but I am wondering which one has the capability to grind out more overall output before they bottom out.

Epiks don't bottom out before your ears melt.

ala Yoda...

Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Epiks don't bottom out before your ears melt.

That is what I thought from owning the valor, but I cranked up the empire last night, and it was kind of chugging a little. My valor never did that. Maybe it is the spot, but I've moved it around a bit already.

A couple years ago he was offering two 15" subs for $1000 and $1100. Now they are 2-300 cheaper with an extra driver? I think he had to save money somewhere, and it may have been in the drivers. I know he has made money and now his company is bigger he can buy wholesale a bit more, but $2-300 less than castle/tower and WITH an extra driver? And it even has a better amp than those subs had. The knight/caliber combo would make sense cost wise to have dual drivers in one sub, but Chad told me the drivers in empire are better than the knight/caliber subs. Don't get me wrong, the empire is an awesome sub, definately better than the MFWs. And I am still planning on selling everything and keeping the empires, because I do love the one I have so far. But with the valor to compare it to, I am picky man.... I got the empires so I would have a sub that was indestructible, and instead of break down would just not get any louder. When my second empire arrives, I am planning on doing some real comparisons, moving subs around all over the place, REW'ing and spending the better part of a day putting the MFWs up against the empires and maybe a few valor comparos just for my own basis of comparison. Then I will decide what exactly the strengths of each sub are.

I was messing with REW today, and all I was getting was horrible feedback, and I couldn't fix it. I was going to move stuff around and take measurements but everything was all screwed up, I couldn't even get a measurement. I will have to buy some other cables. Problem is I need 100 feet of cable to run 2 lengths from my computer 50ft away. I'm using all kinds of adapters, and extenders, and somewhere along the line there is a problem.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I think he meant dual duals ... like 4 Empires... I've been following this thread pretty closely and I haven't seen anyone with 4 Empires.

Exactly. Does anyone have 4 Empires yet? I imagine 1 in each corner would be pretty awesome.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is what I thought from owning the valor, but I cranked up the empire last night, and it was kind of chugging a little. My valor never did that. Maybe it is the spot, but I've moved it around a bit already.

I was kidding.

I can't imagine pushing these two Empires to a point where they struggle. You must be single!

ala Yoda...

Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:

I was kidding.

I can't imagine pushing these two Empires to a point where they struggle. You must be single!

Lol, I have a girlfriend who loves bass, so I am lucky on that front. Doesn't love in constant flow of audio stuff in and out of here though...

I thought you were serious, because pretty much from what I've read, and the experience from my valor, when I thought of epik the last couple years I've thought of overbuilt rock solid subs that won't quit, and don't bottom out. The empire is good, but it can be bottomed. It's much less of a problem than with the MFWs, but still may put "set it and forget it" out the window.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My single Phoenix just won't bottom out
Long live the 18" driver!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermott View Post

With the feet installed, will an Empire sit properly on an Auralex Gramma (23"x15")?

yes, perfectly.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 View Post

yes, perfectly.

Due to the vibration cancellation of the opposing drivers, isn't a gramma unnecessary?

I have a gramma too and it is just sitting in a closet, not needed with my empire.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Test u r sub with Fight club blu ray. The airplane scene is awesome.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Chad really had a great thing with the 18 inch drivers. I'd be interested in hearing an Empire or whatever he is cooking up to go with it.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lol, I have a girlfriend who loves bass, so I am lucky on that front. Doesn't love in constant flow of audio stuff in and out of here though...

I thought you were serious, because pretty much from what I've read, and the experience from my valor, when I thought of epik the last couple years I've thought of overbuilt rock solid subs that won't quit, and don't bottom out. The empire is good, but it can be bottomed. It's much less of a problem than with the MFWs, but still may put "set it and forget it" out the window.

Hehe, yeah my girlfriend loves the theater sound and bass, she just doesn't like the associated costs! Anyway, any sub can be bottomed out - another reason I got duals. I guess I'm getting old and don't listen to stuff as loud as I used to. I've slowly weaning her to let me install an IB next ... we have tons of attic space and it looks like fun!

Going to try to nail my house curve tonight ...

ala Yoda...

Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Test u r sub with Fight club blu ray. The airplane scene is awesome.

My copy should be here tomorrow... along with gladiator, snatch and braveheart. Will wait til my other empire arrives to watch them

So I just turned on both MFWs and the empire to see what kind of bass I would get. It was great until something blew, and broke half the outlets on my monster HTS-2000 MKII. The fuse failed I guess, but it didn't trip the breaker, I went down and checked, but it wasn't orange and didn't need to be reset. It was weird. Some things in the room on some outlets (not on the monster strip) shut off, and some didn't. But now 6 out of 12 outlets on my monster power center are broken, and the on off button just flaps around freely. The other 6 outlets on the strip do work though. Strange because outlets on the strip blew that didn't even have an on component attatched to them. And come compnents that were on didn't blow the outlet it was attatched to. I will call monster tomorrow.

While everything was working though for about 3 minutes until I turned the empire amp up, BOOM! That was pretty nuts. SPL meter was maxed out at 126db in some locations....
Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Muahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Viva le Phoenix x2!!!!

Yamaha RX-V3800--Klipsch Icon XF-48 (L/R)--Epik Phoenix x2--DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033
Old 02-24-2010, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister House View Post

Muahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Viva le Phoenix x2!!!!

Viva el conquest!!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:

Viva el conquest!!!!!

is it "el" or "le" hell if I know. I took 2 years of French....passed both years and don't know anything. I could probably ask you what time is it in french but wouldn't know what you said back to me in french lol None the less ... I concede to the Conquest. I wish I had 2 of those instead. Hell I would have 2 of those along with my 2 Phoenix Subs. I ain't scared... I am just renting the house anyways... who cares if the all the windows fall out lol

Yamaha RX-V3800--Klipsch Icon XF-48 (L/R)--Epik Phoenix x2--DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033
Old 02-25-2010, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

My Conquest is Latin hench the el.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Viva el conquest!!!!!

With a box that big, the wife would KILL me I am jealous of you Conquest owners though

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With a box that big, the wife would KILL me I am jealous of you Conquest owners though

The Conquest has been the best HT purchase I have made. No looking back this time unless Epik makes something that can Conquer the Conquest. I should patent that before Epik gets a hold of that name.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Conquest has been the best HT purchase I have made. No looking back this time unless Epik makes something that can Conquer the Conquest. I should patent that before Epik gets a hold of that name.

My Phoenix was one of my best HT purchases as well. It delivers in spades time and time again.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
+1 Gov, Another happy Phoenix owner here. My friends are in awe when
they see and hear it.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnocchi View Post

they see and hear it.

+1 on the Dragon.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:

My Conquest is Latin hench the el.

Well then Carpe Conquest lol

Old 02-25-2010, 09:00 AM

Sometimes I really hate life. I got Dual Emires coming in , Db Schenker called to say they're delivering tmw, I say ok is evening available this way I dont have to take a day off. They say no I say fine and notify my employer Im taking off, then they call back saying if the snow is bad they wont deliver and try again next week. I got po'd and said let me just pick the thing up. So now I got to drive home tonight in the snow, swap out my sedan for my minivan and head over to Newark,NJ by 7pm before they close. There's a chance I might not make it by then due to the snow.

Man the bass on these 2 empires better be worth it !!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnocchi View Post

they see and hear it.

+1

Amen.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eantala View Post

Sometimes I really hate life. I got Dual Emires coming in , Db Schenker called to say they're delivering tmw, I say ok is evening available this way I dont have to take a day off. They say no I say fine and notify my employer Im taking off, then they call back saying if the snow is bad they wont deliver and try again next week. I got po'd and said let me just pick the thing up. So now I got to drive home tonight in the snow, swap out my sedan for my minivan and head over to Newark,NJ by 7pm before they close. There's a chance I might not make it by then due to the snow.

Man the bass on these 2 empires better be worth it !!

lol, so far most have agreed that it is impressive. I'm not sure how long that drive is, how bad your traffic will be, or how susceptible to road rage you are, but be sure to let us know if it is worth it if you make it.

Good luck!

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer