Forum Jump: 

post #12451 of 20368 Old 03-15-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Well,
It's been a couple of years since my Tower was delivered. At the time, it was the second highest in Epik's lineup. To date, I have to say without hesitation that I am COMPLETELY satisfied with this sub! People come over and are just amazed at what this thing can do, paired with a MBM-12 mid bass module. From subtle to just house-shaking ACCURATE bass...

I would like to know if there are still some Castle/Tower/Conquest owners out there that feel the same, or have "upgraded" to the newer lines. One of the coolest things about the older lines is that Chad used the expensive 6 inch ports that look awsome. Anyway, happy subbing and have a good week

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12452 of 20368 Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i still have the caliber and i am still happy with it.

Mother should I trust the government
post #12453 of 20368 Old 03-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Liked: 11
Hey KBMAN I use to own the Valor, but now I have the Dragon. I am more and more impressed everyday with my Dragon its one amazing sub. The Valor was also an awesome sub. Its nice to look back and pay tribute to the old lineup. One thing about Epik subs is they are built like tanks especially the drivers, they never run out of steam.
post #12454 of 20368 Old 03-15-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

My Tower is still the big boy SUB in the house that does all the heavy duty stuff. When ever I sit down to watch a movie, there is not a time I haven't looked at the Tower in amazement or regretted getting it. I've re-read my first post on the Epik thread numerious times after getting it, and I feel the exact same way now about it's performance as I did then. The Tower is EFFORTLESS. I've been battering it since mid 08 and no problems. I first thought I was crazy for spending that much money on a sub, but it's ~$1.4K well spent IMO. My single Empire is nice as well and really shines on music. For the price and size, it was close to the Tower's in-room exentsion down low (16 vs 14). Together I'm getting 12Hz inroom and they provide a formidable package for my needs. The only regret I have was not getting another Tower (for symmetry up front...yes folks, mild OCD here ) or even the Dynasty as they were similair sized. Two Towers upfront with Two Empires near field....I think that would be bass bliss in my large shared room. I hope Chad has a new ported monster in the works. But knowing Chad, based on his previous lines, he dosen't introduce a new sub or new subs unless they offer an appreciable performance boost than the previous.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #12455 of 20368 Old 03-15-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Hey KBMAN,

The Castle I received in October 2008 is still shaking my <1,000 cubic foot room really well. I've toyed with "upgrading" (or at least trying something new) from time to time but I always come back to the realization that the Castle is a heck of a subwoofer and more than any sane person should need in a room my size. I think I'll have to get my setup in a larger room before I can justify spending the dough on something else. The Castle is a tank and performs effortlessly with just about anything I throw at it.
post #12456 of 20368 Old 03-15-2010, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hey Lakersfan34!
I'm glad you still are enjoying your Castle. I almost bought the Castle (for those of you who don't know, it's the same as the Tower but slightly smaller footprint), but I had the extra dough at the time and opted for the Tower. Eventually I'm going to move to my parents' bigger house, and think that the Tower will fit the bill with that. Right now my theater/living room is 16x22x8 and my Ma and Pa's room is about 16x 26 with vaulted ceilings. I've already had a older, more inferior systems in their main room and the acoustics are to die for.....not that I'm waiting for my parents to die!!! (It's just a great room and the Tower would kick some booty in there

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #12457 of 20368 Old 03-16-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I always liked the old and orginial line of Epik subs. I envy them when I first laid my eyes on them. I was determined to save money and one day, own one. No matter how much room it took up, I would own one. The 15" drivers looked awesome. The smooth cone area was attractive. By the time I had enough money, Chad discontinued them and came out with the 18" offerings. The Dragon is an amazing sub and its always a pleasure to listen and feel the bass. Its just so effortless.
post #12458 of 20368 Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 AM

I got the SVS EQ1 coming in today which I'll pair with my dual Empires, hopefully it makes a noticeable improvement. Anyone have and is using this eq with their Empire have any pointers/suggestions to get the most out of it or is it a pretty simple setup like running audyssey on my Onkyo receiver?
post #12459 of 20368 Old 03-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I don't know, but my Phoenix continues to suck and under perform

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #12460 of 20368 Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I don't know, but my Phoenix continues to suck and under perform

I know same with the twin towers. Maybe i should upgrade to the mfw-15. LOL!
post #12461 of 20368 Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

I know same with the twin towers. Maybe i should upgrade to the mfw-15. LOL!

My conquest has never been up to par. I wish someone would be willing to take it off of my hands.
post #12462 of 20368 Old 03-17-2010, 04:07 AM

Liked: 13
Anyone know the slope of the Empire's low pass filter (e.g. 6/12/18/24 dB)?
post #12463 of 20368 Old 03-17-2010, 08:16 AM

i ordered my empire thursday. it got to atlanta monday. its wednesday its still sitting in atlanta . i live an hour south of atlantathey told me it wasnt coming until friday. i ask them what was the hold up. they said my package wasnt a priority and they didnt ship too much residental. i paid 140 for shipping . dbschenker sux. ive always had good experience with fedex and ups. its too heavy 4 those guys.
post #12464 of 20368 Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Not at all. Two guys an carry it easily I should say. The compacted wood crate its on top of is about 20 lbs. Remove that and it's easier fetching.
The thing about dbshenker is that deliveries is on a priority basis. I waited 2 days and decided I can't wait no longer and picked it up myself. About a 20 min drive to. Congrats on the purchase- finally .

post #12465 of 20368 Old 03-17-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinzoe View Post

Anyone know the slope of the Empire's low pass filter (e.g. 6/12/18/24 dB)?

Send Epik an email or call if you haven't already.

post #12466 of 20368 Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

My conquest has never been up to par. I wish someone would be willing to take it off of my hands.

How much?
post #12467 of 20368 Old 03-17-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

How much?

I was joking.
post #12468 of 20368 Old 03-17-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eantala View Post

I got the SVS EQ1 coming in today which I'll pair with my dual Empires, hopefully it makes a noticeable improvement. Anyone have and is using this eq with their Empire have any pointers/suggestions to get the most out of it or is it a pretty simple setup like running audyssey on my Onkyo receiver?

Please let us know..I'm also looking into getting one of these.
My Empires are comming tomorrow!
I bet my Radio Shack sub still hits harder than these so called "EPIK" speakers any day
post #12469 of 20368 Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

I just cant get myself to spend that much money for the SVS EQ1. I can almost buy another Empire for that! LOL

I'm happy with my bfd1124 ... will I really notice much of a difference with the EQ1?

ala Yoda...

"Tweeters". Heh! "Treble". Heh! A basshead craves not these things! ...
post #12470 of 20368 Old 03-17-2010, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dunlop View Post

Please let us know..I'm also looking into getting one of these.
My Empires are comming tomorrow!
I bet my Radio Shack sub still hits harder than these so called "EPIK" speakers any day

I think you're in for an eye-opening experience . Should be a LOT of fun getting a pair of real subs. Enjoy, and make sure to come back and post pics and impressions.
post #12471 of 20368 Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post

I just cant get myself to spend that much money for the SVS EQ1. I can almost buy another Empire for that! LOL

I'm happy with my bfd1124 ... will I really notice much of a difference with the EQ1?

I definitely hear you on the price issue for the SVS EQ. I may eventually talk myself into trying the antimode 8033. First I'd have to find the time to peruse the thread to figure out if the thing is usable with a dual sub setup. Off hand is anyone using an antimode 8033 with duals?
post #12472 of 20368 Old 03-18-2010, 12:43 PM

my empire came in today. started puliing it out of the box thinking this thing is a beast. its built like a tank. hooked it up right where my jamo sat . listening to music channel on tv it didnt shake the mirror on the wall anymore than my jamo 12. i was thinking kinda sounded muddy . got my crossover on receiver set at 80 thats low as it goes. its a different sound than what i expected then again im only 30 minutes into it. what can i do to improve sound besides stick it in a corner . my ceiling is 13 or 14 ft tall that hurts too.
post #12473 of 20368 Old 03-18-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

I definitely hear you on the price issue for the SVS EQ. I may eventually talk myself into trying the antimode 8033. First I'd have to find the time to peruse the thread to figure out if the thing is usable with a dual sub setup. Off hand is anyone using an antimode 8033 with duals?

It treats them as a single signal and eqs that to be flat. That's how it should be, because you want the combined signal as it reaches your ears to be flat. You need to level-match the subs before running the eq so they are playing at the correct/even volumes.
post #12474 of 20368 Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by michwill36 View Post

my empire came in today. started puliing it out of the box thinking this thing is a beast. its built like a tank. hooked it up right where my jamo sat . listening to music channel on tv it didnt shake the mirror on the wall anymore than my jamo 12. i was thinking kinda sounded muddy . got my crossover on receiver set at 80 thats low as it goes. its a different sound than what i expected then again im only 30 minutes into it. what can i do to improve sound besides stick it in a corner . my ceiling is 13 or 14 ft tall that hurts too.

It's trial and error until you find the right spot in your room. If you haven't done so, set all speakers to small and 11 o'clock on the sub's gain knob.
post #12475 of 20368 Old 03-18-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post

I hear you on that one, the price of the SVS EQ1 is nothing to sneeze at and I also thought for that price I could buy another sub. But my dual empires were sounding one-notey and boomy to me even after much trial and error. My apt is terrible speakers that sounded incredible in past residences sound horrible, walls are so thin I could sometimes clearly make out what my upstairs neighbors are saying!

Anyway Im new to all this HT/Audyssey stuff being a 2 channel music guy for so long but I can tell you after hooking up the EQ1 I notice a difference. The subs don't sound boomy any more and don't seem to be boosting every sound like they used to. At first it seemed like a substantial loss in bass but I know the system sounds alot less "annoying" to me then it use to prior to using the EQ1. There maybe be other cheaper options offering compareable funtionality but for me thus far this has been a good buy with my dual empires. Im a plug and play guy , don't really do graphs or spl meters (YET!).
post #12476 of 20368 Old 03-18-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

I hear you on that one, the price of the SVS EQ1 is nothing to sneeze at and I also thought for that price I could buy another sub. But my dual empires were sounding one-notey and boomy to me even after much trial and error. My apt is terrible speakers that sounded incredible in past residences sound horrible, walls are so thin I could sometimes clearly make out what my upstairs neighbors are saying!

Anyway Im new to all this HT/Audyssey stuff being a 2 channel music guy for so long but I can tell you after hooking up the EQ1 I notice a difference. The subs don't sound boomy any more and don't seem to be boosting every sound like they used to. At first it seemed like a substantial loss in bass but I know the system sounds alot less "annoying" to me then it use to prior to using the EQ1. There maybe be other cheaper options offering compareable funtionality but for me thus far this has been a good buy with my dual empires. Im a plug and play guy , don't really do graphs or spl meters (YET!).

I have Audyssey Pro installed on my Integra DHC 9.9 and Audyssey Sub EQ which is similar to the SVS EQ1 for the LFE bass. All speakers are set with a 80 hz crossover and the sub crossover (in the sub channel in reciever) to 120 hz. To get a better feel for bass in the system, I went down 2 db on the speakers and left the sub db where the setup set it. More life in the bass now.

Bill
post #12477 of 20368 Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM

I plan on putting an Empire in a 20x24 room with 11' ceilings. I'm coming from a bose base module, lol. Right now I only want a single and may add a second later. Just want to hear and feel the bass.

What are some of your experiences with a single empire in a large room?
post #12478 of 20368 Old 03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michwill36 View Post

Hi michwill36,

What receiver are you running? Mabye you're running it too hot. After 1 o'clock on the Empire's volume knob it starts to sound muddy even with my receiver's sub level out at -2.5. Make sure you've got it plugged into "LFE in" and not "Crossover" at the back of the Empire. It might also help too if the Empire's Crossover knob it turned all the way to 150Hz.
Like Hksrv4 said, you'll have to play around with placement and listen from the Listening Position (LP) to find the best spot. A first step would be to place the Empire at the LP and go around the room noting the spots where the bass sounds good. Hopefully you'd be able to place the Empire there. Lets us know your findings.

post #12479 of 20368 Old 03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurfk View Post

I plan on putting an Empire in a 20x24 room with 11' ceilings. I'm coming from a bose base module, lol. Right now I only want a single and may add a second later. Just want to hear and feel the bass.

What are some of your experiences with a single empire in a large room?

Whats the distance from the speakers to the main listening position? We share nearly the same volume room, but mine's is more rectangular (37x15x10). My LP is 13 ft and the Empire does pretty well on it's own.

post #12480 of 20368 Old 03-18-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

But my dual empires were sounding one-notey and boomy to me even after much trial and error. My apt is terrible speakers that sounded incredible in past residences sound horrible, walls are so thin I could sometimes clearly make out what my upstairs neighbors are saying!

I bet your upstairs neighbors can tell how your duals sound as well.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page