post #12661 of 20380 Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Was that 5 minutes part of going from 0, setting to PEQ, and learning curve?

I can enter 5 filters / filter changes in under a minute now that I'm familiar with the unit, so it definitely gets quicker once you're used to it.

The MIDI cable is just a convenience item. For $7, I think it's great. Necessary? I guess not but for some of us the bfd is 10 feet away and near the floor or high on a shelf (for example). With this connection you can input a dozen filters in 5 seconds without getting up, going to the bfd, dialing, pressing buttons x12, etc. And if your trying 10 sub positions in an afternoon, it saves you even more time. For me, my time saved is worth $7.

ala Yoda...

"Tweeters". Heh! "Treble". Heh! A basshead craves not these things! ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12662 of 20380 Old 04-01-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

Sorry, should have been more specific. It's a sound meter with a digital display, but also includes a 3.5mm AC output that can be used with REW.

Here's a review from Sound and Vision.

Here's a link to their website, which includes specs and the instruction manual.

They're usually priced at $129, but if you search around, you should be able to get it for much less than that.

Scott

$129 looks pretty standard right now... not seeing anything cheaper

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #12663 of 20380 Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 AM

anybody ever heard of using a tv coax cable for subwoofer.? the audioshop here installed 40 ft of it in my houseyears ago . i took it out. i bought some monster ultra 1000 came up a lil short had to link another non monster cable with it. i cant really tell a differece between that and the coax . will linking peices together with a splitter weaken it?
post #12664 of 20380 Old 04-01-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Save your money. I used 50ft. of RG6 for my subwoofer cable for about 8 years at my old place and never any problems. I fitted the ends w/ Rat Shack RCA connectors. Not sure about the splitter.
post #12665 of 20380 Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 AM

yep thats what i had rg6 i wasted money time and sweat in that attic i feel like. can u tell a differece ? my empire sounds muddy sittin rite next to it. whats that little link called that has female rca on each end?
post #12666 of 20380 Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

$129 looks pretty standard right now... not seeing anything cheaper

Found it $40 cheaper in about 30 seconds. Look harder.
post #12667 of 20380 Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

Thx for the link.

post #12668 of 20380 Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
post #12669 of 20380 Old 04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
gye

Quote:

How did you find it? None of the places I usually search (google, bing, pricegrabber, etc.) show it for less than $130.
post #12670 of 20380 Old 04-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

I'm curious to know how Chad runs his inventory. It seems as if they don't/can't make new inventory as they sell current stock. I guess the biggest holdup is waiting for parts to come in? *shrug*

Not knocking anyone, I'm just curious.

ala Yoda...

post #12671 of 20380 Old 04-02-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

Thx for the link.

It's against forum rules to post links to products below retail. Sorry pal.
post #12672 of 20380 Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Sentinels. Man, you went through quite a process a little while back! I think you are now the official REW master . Are you finding yourself content with the dual Sentinels? Have you grown accustomed to the sound of "flat" bass response, or do you still find something missing? Good to see you around. Keep enjoying your subs .

Thanks LakersFan34! I greatly appreciate your kindness and help in that whole process. I have grown adjusted to the flatter sound, and still grin when the low stuff sneaks up on me. I don't get to enjoy the Sentinels as often as I would like, and because of that i think I have not been able to fully analyze my tune. To answer your question, yes, the dual Sentinels surprisingly do seem to fill my appetite for deep powerful bass. I say 'suprisingly', because sometimes I think i will never be satisfied.

One thing I have been debating was to resurrect my 'How to calibrate dual non-symmetrical' sub thread'. I was listening to TV with the subs (usually watch 95% HT) and during an Usher video on American Idol I noticed that bass sounds pretty bloated and not tight. I realized that I actually don't have any true sub processing besides my Audyssey 2EQ (which has ZERO sub filters) setting a combined distance for the non-symmetrical subs, and my 1 boost and 1 cut via the BFD. I still think that my bass could be much cleaner and better if i was able to get a receiver with Audyssey MultEQ. All these thoughts and ideas cost money and compromise my marriage.
post #12673 of 20380 Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Thanks LakersFan34! I greatly appreciate your kindness and help in that whole process. I have grown adjusted to the flatter sound, and still grin when the low stuff sneaks up on me. I don't get to enjoy the Sentinels as often as I would like, and because of that i think I have not been able to fully analyze my tune. To answer your question, yes, the dual Sentinels surprisingly do seem to fill my appetite for deep powerful bass. I say 'suprisingly', because sometimes I think i will never be satisfied.

One thing I have been debating was to resurrect my 'How to calibrate dual non-symmetrical' sub thread'. I was listening to TV with the subs (usually watch 95% HT) and during an Usher video on American Idol I noticed that bass sounds pretty bloated and not tight. I realized that I actually don't have any true sub processing besides my Audyssey 2EQ (which has ZERO sub filters) setting a combined distance for the non-symmetrical subs, and my 1 boost and 1 cut via the BFD. I still think that my bass could be much cleaner and better if i was able to get a receiver with Audyssey MultEQ. All these thoughts and ideas cost money and compromise my marriage.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the subs .

If your subs sound good with DVD/Blu-ray material and are calibrated correctly for that then you should be good to go. TV can be very inconsistent when it comes to bass (or SQ in general) so I wouldn't assume the subs are calibrated poorly when a TV show doesn't sound quite right. I've often wondered about getting a receiver with Audyssey MultEQ as well but I don't think I need one right now. By the time I need another receiver, auto-EQ and sound processing will be even better. I'd hold off if I were you - especially if it's going to compromise the marriage! Sounds like the missus has been pretty supportive of (or at least not vehemently opposed to) your hobby so far. No need to push it too fast .
post #12674 of 20380 Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post

I'm curious to know how Chad runs his inventory. It seems as if they don't/can't make new inventory as they sell current stock. I guess the biggest holdup is waiting for parts to come in? *shrug*

Maybe Epik is revamping the lineup again. Each time the runs will be shorter with limited time frame for subs.

Just Kidding.
post #12675 of 20380 Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

We're not supposed to link out to discount price retailers here...

Quote:

It's against forum rules to post links to products below retail. Sorry pal.

Couldn't resist huh?

post #12676 of 20380 Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleATheater View Post

Maybe Epik is revamping the lineup again. Each time the runs will be shorter with limited time frame for subs.

Just Kidding.

lol, funny, I had to resist typing something similar.
post #12677 of 20380 Old 04-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Ok it's no secret to everyone here following this thread that I love my dual Empires. BUT. An opportunity has come up for me to get a Danley DTS 10 kit for my birthday in a few days and I'm not sure how to proceed.

The gf and I were both involved with getting the Empires and she's aware of the Danley kit. She offered to get the kit with an amp if I agreed to sell the Empires. I'm pretty sure I could sell the Empires easily as the demand is high and you can't even get them until mid may right now. After all the research, I don't think even dual empires approach the capabilities of a DTS-10.

What would you guys do? I'd hate to sell the Epiks but this Danley kit is almost too sweet to pass up?

I have a few days to decide!

ala Yoda...

post #12678 of 20380 Old 04-04-2010, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Go for it. The Empires may be back in stock middle May incase the DTS 10 don't fit all needs. Rest all doubt . And of course, let us know your thoughts with graphs etc about it wrt the Empires. I've contemplated seriously the DTS10. But the size I just couldnt live with. Price ends this April too.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #12679 of 20380 Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 PM

My Phoenix stopped working suddenly yesterday. The control led in the rear is off, I tried switching on/off, on/auto combinations, different outlets, different power cables (all that I verified work with my TV). Even though the led is off, the amplifier is a little bit warm approximately around the 'WARNING' label.

Has this happened to anyone, what's the typical warranty process with Epik and how long does it take to get it fixed? I just hope I won't have to send the subwoofer back to them.
post #12680 of 20380 Old 04-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svencz View Post

My Phoenix stopped working suddenly yesterday. The control led in the rear is off, I tried switching on/off, on/auto combinations, different outlets, different power cables (all that I verified work with my TV). Even though the led is off, the amplifier is a little bit warm approximately around the 'WARNING' label.

Has this happened to anyone, what's the typical warranty process with Epik and how long does it take to get it fixed? I just hope I won't have to send the subwoofer back to them.

Sounds like a blown fuse to me.

ala Yoda...

post #12681 of 20380 Old 04-04-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by svencz View Post

Check your fuse and if thats not it your amps probably toast. Hopefully they still stock the amps on your Phoenix .Thats the problem with discontinuing so many models so fast . Im sure Epic should have a nice fulll inventory of them after all its the only wright thing to do and it appears they are a small but reputable company .
post #12682 of 20380 Old 04-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Check your fuse and if thats not it your amps probably toast. Hopefully they still stock the amps on your Phoenix .Thats the problem with discontinuing so many models so fast . Im sure Epic should have a nice fulll inventory of them after all its the only wright thing to do and it appears they are a small but reputable company .

Thanks guys for such a quick response! How can I check the fuse? Do I need to remove the back plate to do that? There isn't much I can see on the back of the Phoenix:

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/portedphoenix.html

I've already sent an email to Epik, let's see when they come back to me (sent it today).
post #12683 of 20380 Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Actually Chad has already stated several times with other past owners that he keeps not only spare drivers, but spare amplifiers on the shelves for ALL previous models. He also stated he has "plenty" of all of them so I wouldn't be worried.
post #12684 of 20380 Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 AM

All- Has anyone seen a third party industry review on the Epik Empire. I would be interested to read one. (I am an owner).

Thanks in advance
post #12685 of 20380 Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar3 View Post

All- Has anyone seen a third party industry review on the Epik Empire. I would be interested to read one. (I am an owner).

Thanks in advance

I did a search yesterday and could not find anything. I am also interested.

John
post #12686 of 20380 Old 04-05-2010, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Epik. The greatest story never told (outside of AVS anyways). Imagine the backorders if word did ever leak out thru a mainstream review A problem like that couldn't happen to a nicer guy than Chad.
post #12687 of 20380 Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually Chad has already stated several times with other past owners that he keeps not only spare drivers, but spare amplifiers on the shelves for ALL previous models. He also stated he has "plenty" of all of them so I wouldn't be worried.

Thats good news for all previous model Epic owners and reassuring im sure
post #12688 of 20380 Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 119
The only 3rd party review of any Epik I have seen was the Audioholics Sentinel review that they (Audioholics) pulled from their site due to concerns with the testing methodology.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #12689 of 20380 Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

The only 3rd party review of any Epik I have seen was the Audioholics Sentinel review that they (Audioholics) pulled from their site due to concerns with the testing methodology.

Yes I remember that and I beleive it was a very well and respected reviewer and I also beleive that was the last time a 2nd or 3rd party got a hold of any Epics for a reveiw, that one didnt fair to well in certain areas but as you mentioned the claim was it was due to his testing practices. I know that Epic had some of there 18 subs were reviewed a few years ago I think but it seems since discontinuing all the 18's that was the end of any more reviews .
post #12690 of 20380 Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Welp, I'm selling my pair of Empires gang. I've put them up for sale here at AVS.

Hopefully this post isn't against the forum rules. If so mods, feel free to delete.

Looking forward to Epik's next sub!

ala Yoda...

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page