Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #12751 of 20454 Old 04-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think I have narrowed it down to the Epik Duel Empires or the SVS PB13-Ultra. Still have time to research. I would like to see a compare on the two of them. Thanx for all the help.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12752 of 20454 Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post

I think I have narrowed it down to the Epik Duel Empires or the SVS PB13-Ultra. Still have time to research. I would like to see a compare on the two of them. Thanx for all the help.

John

I was in the exact same boat. It was tough to choose between those two. Ultimately I went the Empire route because I wanted the added benefits of dual subs and take advantage of the intro pricing.

Either way you go, however, both are excellent choices.

ala Yoda...

"Tweeters". Heh! "Treble". Heh! A basshead craves not these things! ...
post #12753 of 20454 Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

John

It's a pretty good ride from Orland Park, and those boxes will be big. Make sure you have space for them to fit in your car. Also, if money is a factor, consider that a single PB13 Ultra will cost you a fair bit more than the dual Empires. Of course the PB13 Ultra looks a lot better, IMO. I'm not sure how dual Empires fair against a single Ultra, but they have arguably beaten a single Submersive. Are you considering duals on the Ultra as well?
post #12754 of 20454 Old 04-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

It's a pretty good ride from Orland Park, and those boxes will be big. Make sure you have space for them to fit in your car. Also, if money is a factor, consider that a single PB13 Ultra will cost you a fair bit more than the dual Empires. Of course the PB13 Ultra looks a lot better, IMO. I'm not sure how dual Empires fair against a single Ultra, but they have arguably beaten a single Submersive. Are you considering duals on the Ultra as well?

I have a Tahoe, so I am sure I can get them in there. I would only go with a single Ultra. Value wise I think the Empires are the way to go, but I am looking at sound and performance. From the research I have done the Ultra's sound and performance is tough to beat. If the Empire can compete or out do, than I will be loading up the truck. Still looking at other options like Seaton subs. Thanks for the help please keep the ideas flowing.

Thanks
John
post #12755 of 20454 Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I have a Tahoe, so I am sure I can get them in there. I would only go with a single Ultra. Value wise I think the Empires are the way to go, but I am looking at sound and performance. From the research I have done the Ultra's sound and performance is tough to beat. If the Empire can compete or out do, than I will be loading up the truck. Still looking at other options like Seaton subs. Thanks for the help please keep the ideas flowing.

Thanks
John

I dont think dual empires will have the accuracy like a single Ultra will there very natural and accurate so there not only good for movies but excellent for music. The build Quality and high end finish options are more like high end furniture finishes even the textured black is a sprayed on finish not a vinyl not sure about the empire. The Driver on the Ultra is built like a tank a long with the box itself weighs I beleive over 150 pounds, they even have a option for either a cloth or metal grill . Customer service is second to none 24 hours a day 7 days a week from my first hand experience with SVS i've got a 3 or 4 hour return email sunday night when sent sunday afternoon. The ultra is proven , reviewed and has been out for years and im sure will be out for years to come. The empire from reading on this thread seems to be a great sub also but I personaly dont think its been out long enough yet or even reveiwed to even be able to compare to The Ultra yet. Again I've never owned a Epic but I do own A SVS PB12 plus and a PB13 Ultra and couldnt be happier .
post #12756 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

I dont think dual empires will have the accuracy like a single Ultra will there very natural and accurate so there not only good for movies but excellent for music. The build Quality and high end finish options are more like high end furniture finishes even the textured black is a sprayed on finish not a vinyl not sure about the empire. The Driver on the Ultra is built like a tank a long with the box itself weighs I beleive over 150 pounds, they even have a option for either a cloth or metal grill . Customer service is second to none 24 hours a day 7 days a week from my first hand experience with SVS i've got a 3 or 4 hour return email sunday night when sent sunday afternoon. The ultra is proven , reviewed and has been out for years and im sure will be out for years to come. The empire from reading on this thread seems to be a great sub also but I personaly dont think its been out long enough yet or even reveiwed to even be able to compare to The Ultra yet. Again I've never owned a Epic but I do own A SVS PB12 plus and a PB13 Ultra and couldnt be happier .

That is what I am afraid of. I use this room 50/50 movie,music. I want something that is accuate and natural. I want quality, finish is not as important to me because the sub will not be a focal point in the room but I still want build quality. I still would like to hear more about the Empires. The Seatons look good and many seem happy with them so I will look into them also. Thanks for the input.

John
post #12757 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is what I am afraid of. I use this room 50/50 movie,music. I want something that is accuate and natural. I want quality, finish is not as important to me because the sub will not be a focal point in the room but I still want build quality. I still would like to hear more about the Empires. The Seatons look good and many seem happy with them so I will look into them also. Thanks for the input.

John

Your very welcome and there are a lot of great subs out there, make a list and check them all out . It took over a year of research for me before I decided on SVS. Good luck with your choice
post #12758 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
^^Too bad the 18" drivers are not available.
post #12759 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Yeah that's the only other down side (to some) of going the Epik route is that if you want matching products in the future, you better buy them now, because they might not be available in a year or less, depending on when you purchase them.
post #12760 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
Quote:

I dont think dual empires will have the accuracy like a single Ultra will there very natural and accurate so there not only good for movies but excellent for music....

Quote:

The empire from reading on this thread seems to be a great sub also but I personaly dont think its been out long enough yet or even reveiwed to even be able to compare to The Ultra yet.

Yet that's exactly what you attempt to do above...

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #12761 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

So true : ( So very true .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

Yeah that's the only other down side (to some) of going the Epik route is that if you want matching products in the future, you better buy them now, because they might not be available in a year or less, depending on when you purchase them.

Very good points and well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

Yet that's exactly what you attempt to do above...

Dont mean to offend you and its just my op but just look at the two drivers and you tell me ? Its actualy not even a fair comparison The Ultra is in a different league at almost twice the price but the op is considering two Epics Empires and im sure thats the only reason he's even comparing the two being the SVSpb13 ultra and the Epic Empire .
post #12762 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dont mean to offend you and its just my op but just look at the two drivers and you tell me ? Its actualy not even a fair comparison The Ultra is in a different league at almost twice the price but the op is considering two Epics Empires and im sure thats the only reason he's even comparing the two being the SVSpb13 ultra and the Epic Empire .

When I look at the driver comparison of the Epik to the SVS, the SVS looks like the real deal. I am not saying the Epik is not good it just does not come off as being as good as the SVS. If the Epik is as good as the SVS musically, and gives me the earth moving experience while watching a movie then I am sold and the Epik is the one. I just have not seen anything that proves this. That is the whole reason I posted is to find out the positives and negatives. I know all about opinions and loyalty to a brand name. Thanks again, and keep the ideas flowing.

John
post #12763 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I look at the driver comparison of the Epik to the SVS, the SVS looks like the real deal. I am not saying the Epik is not good it just does not come off as being as good as the SVS. If the Epik is as good as the SVS musically, and gives me the earth moving experience while watching a movie then I am sold and the Epik is the one. I just have not seen anything that proves this. That is the whole reason I posted is to find out the positives and negatives. I know all about opinions and loyalty to a brand name. Thanks again, and keep the ideas flowing.

John

John you seem like a very knowledgeable guy and are just looking for more opinions and you are doing the wright thing . The Forums really are a great tool if you use them correctly and I also think you will pick out the wright sub for your needs if you take your time and think things out.
post #12764 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Anyone happen to have any idea offhand on an exact date of when the Empires will be in stock? I had my heart set on getting dual eD A5-350's but it could take about 2 months till they ship! %$#%$%#!!!!!!! So now I'm thinking of the Empires (More hours of research damnit.)

I was hoping to get a dual setup by the first week or 2 of May, and that might be doable according to epik's site. That is of course, assuming there isn't a few hundred or so people already have these things on order ...

My use is for 100% HT purposes. Thanks.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #12765 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not knocking anyone here but the "looks" of a driver has absolutely nothing to do with how it performs. The empire's driver was specifically designed for the Empire enclosure and it could look like Ernie's rubber ducky as far as I care as long as it performs and that it does.

There are a number of user reviews here on the Empires, all positive. I have dual empires and because of their sealed designed, they can be EQ'd to go as deep as you want. I went the Empire route because of the advantages of dual subs and even though I'm sure the SVS is fantastic, the introductory price and 4 15" drivers vs. a 12 inch+port had me sold and I certainly don't regret it.

ala Yoda...

post #12766 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post

I'm not knocking anyone here but the "looks" of a driver has absolutely nothing to do with how it performs. The empire's driver was specifically designed for the Empire enclosure and it could look like Ernie's rubber ducky as far as I care as long as it performs and that it does.

There are a number of user reviews here on the Empires, all positive. I have dual empires and because of their sealed designed, they can be EQ'd to go as deep as you want. I went the Empire route because of the advantages of dual subs and even though I'm sure the SVS is fantastic, the introductory price and 4 15" drivers vs. a 12 inch+port had me sold and I certainly don't regret it.

I Strongly disagree with you, the "looks" of a driver does tell alot along with the Weight. The PB13 Driver I beleive weighs between 60 and 70 pounds and I dont think your rubber ducky comes even close Whats most important though here is that you and many others are very happy with there Epic Empires and thats what its all about. If your happy then thats what counts, Enjoy BTW just so you know the PB13 IS A 13.5 driver with 3 ports and tunable all the way down to a sealed mode
post #12767 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I Strongly disagree with you, the "looks" of a driver does tell alot along with the Weight. The PB13 Driver I beleive weighs between 60 and 70 pounds and I dont think your rubber ducky comes even close Whats most important though here is that you and many others are very happy with there Epic Empires and thats what its all about. If your happy then thats what counts, Enjoy

Agreed. Although the weight and "looks" can give you an impression of it's performance, it should not be the determining factor in making a purchase.

ala Yoda...

post #12768 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed. Although the weight and "looks" can give you an impression of it's performance, it should not be the determining factor in making a purchase.

I agree to disagree with you it should be a determining factor but one of many lets just say it would make a good common denominator
post #12769 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Anyone happen to have any idea offhand on an exact date of when the Empires will be in stock?

I think Chad will discontinue them, after all they have been out for about 4 months or so now

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #12770 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I think Chad will discontinue them, after all they have been out for about 4 months or so now

I would agree with you, but this is the first time (that I can recall) that Chad has actually stated that more will be available soon. Without that little piece of knowledge, I would be 99.9% certain that the current Empire would be no longer.

doug.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #12771 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh wow I didnt think its been that long already So true
post #12772 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

I would agree with you, but this is the first time (that I can recall) that Chad has actually stated that more will be available soon. Without that little piece of knowledge, I would be 99.9% certain that the current Empire would be no longer.

doug.

Who knows maybe the King of Epic The 18's will re-surface as a option.
post #12773 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Too funny lol. But yeah, Chad told the 15" Empires are here to stay. Also, they're working on a 12" version at a smaller price point and something huge, evidently a Conquest killer. That's all he would say though.

ala Yoda...

post #12774 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

and something huge, evidently a Conquest killer.

He's been mentioning that to folks for a very long time. Extremely old news.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #12775 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Anyone happen to have any idea offhand on an exact date of when the Empires will be in stock?

I got an email from them this morning stating ETA is still 1st to 2nd wk of May.
post #12776 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

He's been mentioning that to folks for a very long time. Extremely old news.

Yup. Just summarizing my last discussion with him which included news of a 12" Empire, which was the first I heard of.

ala Yoda...

post #12777 of 20454 Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 PM

Other than the seaton submersive, what other subs are dual woofers in a sealed enclosure?
post #12778 of 20454 Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave888 View Post

Other than the seaton submersive, what other subs are dual woofers in a sealed enclosure?

The Acoustic Elegance P1500, you'll need allowance in the budget for an amp which can be purchased through them also.

http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/vie...5e853a1454438f
post #12779 of 20454 Old 04-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave888 View Post

B&W's $4500 DB1.

"While most subwoofers make do with just the one main driver, the DB1 has two, mounted back-to-back. It's a pioneering design that brings amazing benefits to low frequency sound - and not just in terms of reduced vibration brought about by better mechanical balance. With two 12 long-throw drivers, the speaker generates higher sound levels and less distortion than a single 15 driver - and all within a relatively compact cabinet. "

Run away little Empire! Run away little Submersive!
post #12780 of 20454 Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:

I Strongly disagree with you, the "looks" of a driver does tell alot along with the Weight. The PB13 Driver I beleive weighs between 60 and 70 pounds and I dont think your rubber ducky comes even close Whats most important though here is that you and many others are very happy with there Epic Empires and thats what its all about. If your happy then thats what counts, Enjoy BTW just so you know the PB13 IS A 13.5 driver with 3 ports and tunable all the way down to a sealed mode

You folks need to stop this nonsense. If the looks and weight of a driver is so important then go with the Fathoms or build your own using the LMS 18 inchers. The strength of good subwoofers is that they are engineered for maximum performance based on driver, amp, enclosure combination. My recent PC-12 Ultra(beautiful driver) used to flap with some movies like Star Trek. All those scenes were handled with ease by my Empire. The submersive is a well-engineered sub but I never hear anyone rave about it's drivers. I have read a lot about how well-designed the amp is. It is just a well designed product when taken as a whole. The empire is a well-designed product when taken as a whole. My old Acoustic Research 108ps was a well designed product when taken as a whole. If you haven't notice, they all have different price points. Better yet, the new Sub 25 is a well designed product when taken as a whole. The new SB16-Ultra will be a well designed product as well at $3k-$4k??? The Empire is a very solid option at it's price point.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page