post #12991 of 20458 Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post

Please post feedback when you get them hooked up. I emailed Epik yesterday, and heard from them today. I am still a bit down their list and they can't give me a date, I ordered the Duals 4/25. They are waiting for some components to come in I don't expect to see mine till the end of the month.

You will be glad you waited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12992 of 20458 Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Got my dual Empires today and will set them up with my Conquest on Saturday. Wife's mouth fell open when I was unpacking them. In looking at the width, it seems that these 15" subs are looking like the type used in car audio with short stroke fitting back to back.

Bill
post #12993 of 20458 Old 05-06-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quick question about the packaging and delivery of the empires. Currently I am having them shipped to my office, because someone is always there to receive packages. However, getting them home might be an issue. Thus, 1:how big are the boxes (I have a SUV, and I suspect that folding down the middle seats, I should get both of them in. 2:Is it possible for 1 person to lift them in/out of an SUV because of the weight/bulk of the box 3:If I change delivery to home, does someone have to be there to receive the packages? (is the shipping company flexable)?

Thanks in advanced. I ordered mine on 4/17 so hopefully only a few more weeks.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #12994 of 20458 Old 05-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would advise against lifting the Empires by yourself; I believe they way close to 150 lbs. each. I was able to get mine from the driveway to the foyer, but chose to wait a few days for a friend to help get them downstairs. Big and bulky, hard to get a grip on in the box.
post #12995 of 20458 Old 05-07-2010, 01:02 AM

Box came strapped to a small pallet which was 24" x 40" for a single. Not sure what pallet size is used for dual order. The cardboard box (22 6/8 W x 27 1/2 H x 28 6/8 L) doesn't give you much of a grip for the 120lb weight, but once on the ground you can wrestle with them. If you could fit them in the back of the SUV you could probably rig a ramp to slide them out on your own, but you are much better off with two people. It would really suck to drop one or pop a nut.

Usually you have to call the shipping outfit, once online tracking indicates it is in their possession, to schedule a delivery time. Best they could tell me was morning or afternoon, but I was able to pick the day. Might want to check with local shipping office.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...7&d=1264647277
Duals on pallet - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=12291
post #12996 of 20458 Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replys. It seems that removing the boxes from the palate and then lifting (with another person) each box individually might be the best thing to do. Similarly, my wife and I both work, so receiving the packages at home during business hours will be an issue. If I do not have to sign for them, then I suppose they can be left at my door, but with the heat comming (here in Arizona), it might not be the best idea. Thanks for the pictures.

post #12997 of 20458 Old 05-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Someone has to sign for them, they won't leave them as far as I know.
post #12998 of 20458 Old 05-07-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweeb View Post

Someone has to sign for them, they won't leave them as far as I know.

I would hope so.

You can have a neighbor sign if needed, normally.
post #12999 of 20458 Old 05-07-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

If the distance from you home is not too far or perilious from DB Shenker, you can also arrange to pick them up yourself after work hrs. Two guys can easily load it into the suv one at a time. Furniture sliders (~$5 for 4 @ Lowes, Homedepot, carpet or hardwood floors. You may need 8.) will also help moving them after they are out of the box, as well as placing them around the room looking for that "sweet spot" at the LP.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #13000 of 20458 Old 05-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rweeb View Post

Box came strapped to a small pallet which was 24" x 40" for a single. Not sure what pallet size is used for dual order. The cardboard box (22 6/8 W x 27 1/2 H x 28 6/8 L) doesn't give you much of a grip for the 120lb weight, but once on the ground you can wrestle with them. If you could fit them in the back of the SUV you could probably rig a ramp to slide them out on your own, but you are much better off with two people. It would really suck to drop one or pop a nut.

Usually you have to call the shipping outfit, once online tracking indicates it is in their possession, to schedule a delivery time. Best they could tell me was morning or afternoon, but I was able to pick the day. Might want to check with local shipping office.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...7&d=1264647277
Duals on pallet - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=12291

For any confused this is completely different than busting one, which is actually something most men enjoy doing.

lol, sorry had to do it...he started it!
post #13001 of 20458 Old 05-08-2010, 03:29 AM

After years of watching Epik, moving, building a 2000 sq foot basement w/HT, lurking here, saving $ and gaining WAF, I NOW HAVE A PAIR OF EMPIRES ON THE WAY!

So when they get here, I need to be ready.

My HT area is cool, but is in a room that is about as acoustically unfriendly as it gets. Very big. Very unsealed. Very asymmetric. The space eats bass for breakfast, but that's why I ordered these. The Audyssey setup seems to help compensate for the room's inadequacy, but I haven't had much sub up 'til now.

These will be paired with:
AVR: Denon 4810CI
SC: Klipsch RC64 (a center channel beast I LOVE)
L/R: Klipsch RF-5
L/R Wide: Klipsch KSB-2.1
L/R Height: Klipsch RB-15 (not installed yet)
L/R Surround: Klipsch CDT-5800 C
L/R Rear: Klipsch SS-1 (not installed yet)

As you can see, these subs will take me from 7.1 to 7.2. I'm looking into an Emotiva amp, and when I pull that trigger, I'll be at 11.2- full Audyssey DSX.

I don't have an SPL meter, or really know how to use one if I did. I just have been counting on Audysssey to do it right. I don't have a lot of choice where these subs will go, but I can aim them and move them a little.

Anybody have any particular suggestions to help me get these dialed in when they arrive? Is there a catch-all setup guide on the forum I haven't been able to find yet?

After reading all the "OMG!!" posts, I CAN'T WAIT TO UNLEASH THESE!!!
post #13002 of 20458 Old 05-08-2010, 06:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 376
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ge...-calibration-1

I realize you said:
Quote:

I don't have an SPL meter, or really know how to use one if I did. I just have been counting on Audysssey to do it right. I don't have a lot of choice where these subs will go, but I can aim them and move them a little.

...and that the article above relies heavily on measurements to optimize subwoofer/listening position prior to running Audyssey. However, if you read it closely, you will learn all the complexities involved in optimizing dual or multiple subs. You can certainly just plop your subs in the most convenient or aesthetically pleasing positions, and hope for the best with Audyssey. Audyssey will likely make the system sound "better".

However, if you take time, and put forth the effort to optimize things before running Audyssey, then Audyssey can make your system sound GREAT! Here is an Audyssey Setup Guide than can help to ensure you address all the details to optimize your Audyssey run:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Good luck and enjoy your new subs.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #13003 of 20458 Old 05-08-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Any benefit with using the XLR connector on the Empires (instead of RCA). I will need to get a splitter for my sub out, and then need to get correct lenghts, but my pre-amp has balanced out for all channels, so I was thinking of usuing the XLR because I personally like the connector because it is a secure fit. If there is a performance advantage either way (RCA vs XLR), that is the wire I will use. (plus I will need to know where to get a XLR slpitter as I cannot find one on monoprice).

post #13004 of 20458 Old 05-08-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Installed dual Empires with a Conquest last night. I have Audyssey Sub EQ with dual Empires on "Sub 1" and the Conquest on "Sub 2". Somewhat disappointed as Audyssey really stomps down the spl output. I had better output when I ran the Conquest with a MFW-15 (sealed vs ported). The problem probably lies with the Integra DHC 9.9 Audyssey Pro. I didn't take advantage of the "design" feature for raising the sub output by +3. I will look at redoing the whole thing in a couple of weeks as right now, I'm out of my hobby time (WAF).

Bill
post #13005 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Played around with the system and the Empires seem to have made the bass higher and not lower due to sealed and ported mixed. Just my own personal taste liking the ported bass sound over sealed. Funny, becuase I had the same situation with dual Ed A7S-450's. I thought that the Empires would be diff due to all the hype. Now I really know that sealed is not for me. So I will probably at some point be selling the Empires. Any one out there have sucess mixing a Conquest with the Empire(s)?

Bill
post #13006 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Played around with the system and the Empires seem to have made the bass higher and not lower due to sealed and ported mixed. Just my own personal taste liking the ported bass sound over sealed. Funny, becuase I had the same situation with dual Ed A7S-450's. I thought that the Empires would be diff due to all the hype. Now I really know that sealed is not for me. So I will probably at some point be selling the Empires. Any one out there have sucess mixing a Conquest with the Empire(s)?

Bill

That is what I am worried about. I ordered the Empire's but I do not have them yet. I want the bass to go low. I am thinking I need a ported sub.
post #13007 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 05:50 AM

Liked: 11
Gents, A ported subwoofer won't necessarily go "deeper" than will a sealed subwoofer. Take a look at the 100's of comments on Submersives over the past few year, and that is proof that sealed subwoofers are quite capable of deep bass.

Rythmik subs are another example.

Perhaps the Empires are not the last word in extension, but this does not mean sealed is not capable.
post #13008 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I only have a single Tower. So far, the best way I've integrated my Empire into my system was having it near field (~ 4 ft) at the side of the LP, line of sight uninterrupted, with one driver firing in the direction of the LP (the Tower is upfront). Stumbled upon this a day ago. Listened to them whole day yesterday and I liked how they both sounded together. So basicaly, I'm using the Empire to help with midbass issues nearfield at the LP. If I could get another Tower, and an Empire for the opposite near field side....I'd be in bass bliss. Stop reading avs speakers and subwoofers section all together .

post #13009 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Most of them have multiples (at least two). And I personally think if your room has lots of openings to other rooms, or is quite large, multiple Empires will sound better.

post #13010 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've just never understood this dual Empire being the ultimate proclaimation. I think the more we hear from folks who have owned former 18" models, the dual Empire set up isn't even in the same ballpark as a single Conquest, and perhaps even a Dynasty, or maybe even a Phoenix.

If he wanted to replace the Vanquish and Sentinel with the Empire, that's fine and dandy. In that case, the single Empire is definitely an improvement, but suggesting to their customers that dual Empires are sufficent to replace the 18"s is just unreasonable.

While I understand the efficiency and profitability angle of just making one model, the reality is, all they've done is diminish Epik's star. There was a time where the Conquest was rated with some of the best subs out there, but you'll be hard pressed to see the Empire viewed as anything more than a middle of the road value, imho. Too bad...
post #13011 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

Most of them have multiples (at least two). And I personally think if your room has lots of openings to other rooms, or is quite large, multiple Empires will sound better.

I agree that room layout is key. A sealed room with no openings (well maybe one to get in and out) will be best, more openings more loss.
post #13012 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post

I've just never understood this dual Empire being the ultimate proclaimation. I think the more we hear from folks who have owned former 18" models, the dual Empire set up isn't even in the same ballpark as a single Conquest, and perhaps even a Dynasty, or maybe even a Phoenix.

If he wanted to replace the Vanquish and Sentinel with the Empire, that's fine and dandy. In that case, the single Empire is definitely an improvement, but suggesting to their customers that dual Empires are sufficent to replace the 18"s is just unreasonable.

While I understand the efficiency and profitability angle of just making one model, the reality is, all they've done is diminish Epik's star. There was a time where the Conquest was rated with some of the best subs out there, but you'll be hard pressed to see the Empire viewed as anything more than a middle of the road value, imho. Too bad...

I thought that Epik claims that a single Empire performs the same as having a 21 inch sub??
post #13013 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Bill

Your issues are likely not related to sealed and ported mixed together. They are likely related to the fact that the Empires don't have as deep extension as the Conquest. When calibrating all the subs *together*, the level of the each sub, (including the Conquest), is decreased. Since the Conquest is the only sub producing the infrasonics, the infrasonics are decreased relative to the rest of the bandwidth accordingly. This is always a problem when trying to integrate multiple subs with different extension capabilities. This is also likely the issue you were having with trying to mate the MFW-15 with the Conquest.

Before you throw in the towel on the Empires, let me suggest a different alignment for them. Since the Conquest is a "bottom dweller", stick it in the corner and use it as an "infra-sub". Set it up with a crossover so it is only reproducing the lowest couple of octaves. According to Tom Nousaine, it has good output (104 dB) to 12 Hz: http://epiksubwoofers.com/C2.pdf
(That 104 dB was measured in the middle of a large room. Move it to the corner and you could expect about 6 dB more output across the board.)

The Empire's claim to fame, according to the Epik website, is mid-bass slam, so use them for that:
Quote:

Even when compared to a separate midbass module, it still has more overall output capability. In fact, it has more overall midbass output than any other subwoofer we have ever offered.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/newre...ply&p=18609708

Therefore, use the Empires as mid-bass modules. Set them up with a crossover eliminating the lowest bass, (which will be reproduced by the Conquest.) Then, place them around the room were they interact best in the modal region, (up to about 80 to 120 Hz). You should be able to reduce the modal peaks and nulls over a large listening position with 2 Empires and good placement. If your room is a rectangle, dual, mid side-wall or mid front/rear wall placements should be the best for modal flattening. If your room is not rectangular, you'll need to experiment with different placements to find the best locations, but you should be able to get much flatter response through the mid-bass bandwidth with 2 properly placed subs.

This type of system requires a crossover between the infra-sub and the MBM's, but dividing the frequency spectrum into the 2 bands can increase headroom for each portion of the spectrum. IOW, each sub, (or sub pair), should be able to reproduce it's assigned portion of the audio spectrum louder and with less didtortion by eliminating the other portion of the spectrum.

A Behringer DCX2496 crossover can be used to do all the crossovers, delays/phase alignments, level settings and EQ: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx

You could set a crossover in the Behringer of 30 to 40 Hz, and send the deep stuff to the Conquest and the mid-bass to the Empires. Since the Conquest is ported, it will likely have some "group delay" that the Empires don't have, so the Behringer will be needed to set some delay on the Empires to compensate. Finally you can level-match all 3 subs and set EQ filters with the Behringer. You may no longer be able to use your Audyssey SubEQ, but it would be replaced by the Behringer unit. You would have a terrific *system*.

IMO, this would be a much better way to integrate the Empires into a system with a Conquest. It takes advantage of each of their strengths while eliminating the issues with trying to use them both "full band".

Good luck.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #13014 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Your issues are likely not related to sealed and ported mixed together. They are likely related to the fact that the Empires don't have as deep extension as the Conquest. When calibrating all the subs *together*, the level of the each sub, (including the Conquest), is decreased. Since the Conquest is the only sub producing the infrasonics, the infrasonics are decreased relative to the rest of the bandwidth accordingly. This is always a problem when trying to integrate multiple subs with different extension capabilities. This is also likely the issue you were having with trying to mate the MFW-15 with the Conquest.

Before you throw in the towel on the Empires, let me suggest a different alignment for them. Since the Conquest is a "bottom dweller", stick it in the corner and use it as an "infra-sub". Set it up with a crossover so it is only reproducing the lowest couple of octaves. According to Tom Nousaine, it has good output (104 dB) to 12 Hz: http://epiksubwoofers.com/C2.pdf
(That 104 dB was measured in the middle of a large room. Move it to the corner and you could expect about 6 dB more output across the board.)

The Empire's claim to fame, according to the Epik website, is mid-bass slam, so use them for that:

Therefore, use the Empires as mid-bass modules. Set them up with a crossover eliminating the lowest bass, (which will be reproduced by the Conquest.) Then, place them around the room were they interact best in the modal region, (up to about 80 to 120 Hz). You should be able to reduce the modal peaks and nulls over a large listening position with 2 Empires and good placement. If your room is a rectangle, dual, mid side-wall or mid front/rear wall placements should be the best for modal flattening. If your room is not rectangular, you'll need to experiment with different placements to find the best locations, but you should be able to get much flatter response through the mid-bass bandwidth with 2 properly placed subs.

This type of system requires a crossover between the infra-sub and the MBM's, but dividing the frequency spectrum into the 2 bands can increase headroom for each portion of the spectrum. IOW, each sub, (or sub pair), should be able to reproduce it's assigned portion of the audio spectrum louder and with less didtortion by eliminating the other portion of the spectrum.

A Behringer DCX2496 crossover can be used to do all the crossovers, delays/phase alignments, level settings and EQ: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx

You could set a crossover in the Behringer of 30 to 40 Hz, and send the deep stuff to the Conquest and the mid-bass to the Empires. Since the Conquest is ported, it will likely have some "group delay" that the Empires don't have, so the Behringer will be needed to set some delay on the Empires to compensate. Finally you can level-match all 3 subs and set EQ filters with the Behringer. You may no longer be able to use your Audyssey SubEQ, but it would be replaced by the Behringer unit. You would have a terrific *system*.

IMO, this would be a much better way to integrate the Empires into a system with a Conquest. It takes advantage of each of their strengths while eliminating the issues with trying to use them both "full band".

Good luck.

Craig

Awesome post.I was thinking the same. Good luck to anyone able to just plug in ANY given sub/subs and be in bass heaven. I traded my SVS PC12-Ultra for a single Empire and couldn't be happier. The Empire sits in a corner where the Ultra was. It is amazing how much of a difference a few inches make. I will need to learn REW when I move later but right now my apt is slammin.
post #13015 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post

Why don't you folks go beat up on SVS for never offering a 15"/18". Dude go get a Seaton. Oh wait, the price right!
post #13016 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good luck.

Craig

You hit the nail on the head! I had dual MBM's in the past with HSU 3.3's and it worked great in my room. My room is over 6000 + cu ft with large openings on the left wall to other parts of the house. The Conquest and MFW with Audyssey Sub EQ worked real good for me. The thump of the Huey copter blades in BD, Irene was right on. With the Empires, it sounds too bright not thumpy. However, I have a WAF as all of this is in the living room and I can get away with a lot but going to this next step as you suggested would not fly.

thanx for the info, Bill
post #13017 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I thought that Epik claims that a single Empire performs the same as having a 21 inch sub??

I doubt Epik would ever claim that because there is a lot more to "performance" than simply the size of the driver(s). They may have claimed that the Empire, with it's 2 15" drivers, has similar "radiating surface" as a 21" driver.* However, to make any claim about "performance", one would need to know a lot more about things like maximum excursion, driver sensitivity, resonant frequency, alignment, cabinet volume, available amplifier power, etc.

(*The area of a 21" circle is 346 sq. in. The area of (2) 15" circles is 353 sq. in. These are very similar, but, since drivers are conical, one would need to know the depth of the cone to calculate the "radiating surface" area.)

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #13018 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I doubt Epik would ever claim that because there is a lot more to "performance" than simply the size of the driver(s). They may have claimed that the Empire, with it's 2 15" drivers, has similar "radiating surface" as a 21" driver.* However, to make any claim about "performance", one would need to know a lot more about things like maximum excursion, driver sensitivity, resonant frequency, alignment, cabinet volume, available amplifier power, etc.

(*The area of a 21" circle is 346 sq. in. The area of (2) 15" circles is 353 sq. in. These are very similar, but, since drivers are conical, one would need to know the depth of the cone to calculate the "radiating surface" area.)

Craig

You are correct. I went back to the Epik site. I am planning to use my 2 Mirage Prestige S10 which are ported along with the Dual Empires. I just hope I can get the deep bass I am looking for. Great info by the way, thanks.

John
post #13019 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You are correct. I went back to the Epik site. I am planning to use my 2 Mirage Prestige S10 which are ported along with the Dual Empires. I just hope I can get the deep bass I am looking for. Great info by the way, thanks.

John

You may end up with the same kind of issues mixing dissimilar subs as what Bsoko did. In addition, you may have an issue with dissimilar max output capabilities. IOW, the dual Empires will have higher SPL capability than the dual Mirage's. The Mirage's will go into distortion/compression long before the Empires. Therefore, you'll never realize the full output potential for the Empires as you have distortion coming from the Mirage's at lower SPL's. My suggestion would be to try the Empires by themselves first. If you don't have all the bass your require, I would sell the Mirage's and add more Empires.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #13020 of 20458 Old 05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

For all those looking to integrate multiple subs, here is an excellent guide to help with the process:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ge...-calibration-1

Note that he highly recommends using *identical* subs.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page