Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 475 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14221 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally set up my Empire to where I think it sounds best in my listening position, and after running MCACC I definitely have to say it sounds amazing! Granted, I haven't had a subwoofer until now so nothing to compare to really, but I'm very glad I made the investment. Later on I will definitely have plans on adding at least one more. My first place I had it was in front, to the left of the TV, and it didn't sound very good. I did the sub crawl test and discovered a much more tight and powerful sound and feeling when I put it in the back corner next to the couch, at only a couple feet from the listening position. At first I didn't think that I would like it being that far away from the TV, where I would lose the simulated feeling of the bass coming from the TV, however I quickly got used to it.

Still haven't tweaked it as much as I can probably, but for the mean time it sounds and feels terrific.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14222 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonwrath View Post

Finally set up my Empire to where I think it sounds best in my listening position, and after running MCACC I definitely have to say it sounds amazing! Granted, I haven't had a subwoofer until now so nothing to compare to really, but I'm very glad I made the investment. Later on I will definitely have plans on adding at least one more. My first place I had it was in front, to the left of the TV, and it didn't sound very good. I did the sub crawl test and discovered a much more tight and powerful sound and feeling when I put it in the back corner next to the couch, at only a couple feet from the listening position. At first I didn't think that I would like it being that far away from the TV, where I would lose the simulated feeling of the bass coming from the TV, however I quickly got used to it.

Still haven't tweaked it as much as I can probably, but for the mean time it sounds and feels terrific.

Wow! Going from no sub at all to the Empire is a big leap. I had a puny 100 watt Polk sub before, and I am still shocked by the major difference in some scenes of some of my movies where I did not really notice the bass before. I was briefly looking at the very beginning of the movie Land of The Lost (yeah, I know that movie kinda sucks, but I think it's a hoot), and was amazed at the deep bass it had in the opening scene where you hear the T-Rex walking around.
post #14223 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 07:56 AM
ink

haha yea, big leap indeed. I started with a lame cheap-o Pioneer sub, then upgraded to the Mirage S12 which was decent, and now dual empires. I had to rearrange our wine cabinet because all the bottles rattled every time we watched a movie! I think I need to get new windows next as those rattle like crazy! I'm having fun though
post #14224 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Manual adjustment of the sub gain does the same thing. You loose Audyssey on the subwoofer. Check with Chris.

I'm not sure. My understanding is that you have to invoke the receiver's EQ (bass and treble controls) to "turn off" the Audyssey corrections. Changing speaker levels or distances does not change the Audyssey corrections. Of course it does indeed change the overall FR from the Audyssey corrected FR. And it'll make dynamic EQ's compensations way over the top, potentially.
post #14225 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

I'm not sure. My understanding is that you have to invoke the receiver's EQ (bass and treble controls) to "turn off" the Audyssey corrections. Changing speaker levels or distances does not change the Audyssey corrections. Of course it does indeed change the overall FR from the Audyssey corrected FR. And it'll make dynamic EQ's compensations way over the top, potentially.

But you are changing the sub volume at the gain and that impacts the set point on the gain at the time of calibration with Audyssey. What Audyssey saw is no longer there so the filter setting for that is no good. Now speakers can't be changed by more than + or - 3 db. Sub volume from the reciever the same and changing the sub gain at the sub is a no-no. Speakers have no gain because they are not powered at the speaker where the sub is.

Bill
post #14226 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just tried changing my crossover level in the AVR from 80 to 90 for my empires,didn't notice much difference with movies and TV but tried switching back and forth while listening to Dark side of the moon SACD came to the conclusion that it sounds much better to me at 90.Does anyone think this is too high to set them at?I have another question,If I lower the crossover to my front 3 from 80 to say 50 or 60,will this affect the LFE output in any way?
post #14227 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But you are changing the sub volume at the gain and that impacts the set point on the gain at the time of calibration with Audyssey. What Audyssey saw is no longer there so the filter setting for that is no good. Now speakers can't be changed by more than + or - 3 db. Sub volume from the reciever the same and changing the sub gain at the sub is a no-no. Speakers have no gain because they are not powered at the speaker where the sub is.

Bill

Your receiver ignores all speaker level settings when running Audyssey. The corrections are the same regardless of the volume at which the tests are made. If different base corrections are required at 80 dB than at 95 dB to achieve the target curve, then all is lost and Audyssey cannot work correctly. Because I routinely put my volume control at different places. If the corrections are only "correct" at one volume level, then they're wrong most of the time in my house.

If you've ever done an Audyssey run where there was interference sound-wise, it willre-ping the same speaker at a higher level. If it can "hear" what is going on, it calculates its corrections based on that result. The dB level at which the test occurs does not affect the needed corrections to get to the target curve. If you have a 3 dB hump at 100 Hz, you have the same 3 dB hump at all volume levels until you start getting compression.

IOW, when I turn my sub channel down 1.5 dB, what happens in the sub channel is exactly the same thing that happens in the sub channel when I turn down my volume control 1.5 dB (leaving aside dynamic EQ/Volume). Same if I turn up the sub channel. The result in that channel is indistinguishable from what happens in the channel when I turn up the master volume by the same amount.
post #14228 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your receiver ignores all speaker level settings when running Audyssey. The corrections are the same regardless of the volume at which the tests are made. If different base corrections are required at 80 dB than at 95 dB to achieve the target curve, then all is lost and Audyssey cannot work correctly. Because I routinely put my volume control at different places. If the corrections are only "correct" at one volume level, then they're wrong most of the time in my house.

If you've ever done an Audyssey run where there was interference sound-wise, it willre-ping the same speaker at a higher level. If it can "hear" what is going on, it calculates its corrections based on that result. The dB level at which the test occurs does not affect the needed corrections to get to the target curve. If you have a 3 dB hump at 100 Hz, you have the same 3 dB hump at all volume levels until you start getting compression.

IOW, when I turn my sub channel down 1.5 dB, what happens in the sub channel is exactly the same thing that happens in the sub channel when I turn down my volume control 1.5 dB (leaving aside dynamic EQ/Volume). Same if I turn up the sub channel. The result in that channel is indistinguishable from what happens in the channel when I turn up the master volume by the same amount.

+ or - 3 db has nothing to do with speaker volume from the receiver. It has to do with the signal strength of bass that is sent from the receiver to the sub. It also has to do with where the gain was set on the sub when the calibration was done. If you boost the signal volume at the sub you loose what Audyssey is doing. This is where the + or - 3 db rule comes into play with Audyssey. Go ahead and post this question on the Audyssey forum for Chris to answer. I no longer have anything Audyssey as I have gone back to MCACC. I didn't like the flat of Audyssey nor the contol that it has over the sub channel.

VBill
post #14229 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post

I just tried changing my crossover level in the AVR from 80 to 90 for my empires,didn't notice much difference with movies and TV but tried switching back and forth while listening to Dark side of the moon SACD came to the conclusion that it sounds much better to me at 90.Does anyone think this is too high to set them at?I have another question,If I lower the crossover to my front 3 from 80 to say 50 or 60,will this affect the LFE output in any way?

My LFE xover point is 100 with Dual subs. I'm not worried about localization because the subs are located up front next to the LCR speakers.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #14230 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 AM

Well, I just made the plunge and ordered an Empire. I was told it will ship on Tuesday (due to the holiday). I am VERY excited, and don't think my wife has any idea what is about to hit her when I get it hooked up, as we have never had a subwoofer before. Chad recommended the scene in Finding Nemo when the dentist's daughter is tapping on the glass of the aquarium. Cannot wait.
post #14231 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
That scene will rattle the teeth inside your head. It has really strong bass around 30Hz.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #14232 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+ or - 3 db has nothing to do with speaker volume from the receiver. It has to do with the signal strength of bass that is sent from the receiver to the sub. It also has to do with where the gain was set on the sub when the calibration was done. If you boost the signal volume at the sub you loose what Audyssey is doing. This is where the + or - 3 db rule comes into play with Audyssey. Go ahead and post this question on the Audyssey forum for Chris to answer. I no longer have anything Audyssey as I have gone back to MCACC. I didn't like the flat of Audyssey nor the contol that it has over the sub channel.

VBill

Describe what you mean by "you lose what Audyssey is doing."

When you turn up the sub, you turn it up. When you turn down the sub you turn it down. HWne you turn up the volume on your receiver, you turn up the volume, when you turn it down it turns it down. How do you think that changing the volume with one control versus with another changes Audyssey is doing? (leaving aside dynamic volume and dynamic EQ). It can't, AFAIK, for the reasons I tried to explain before. The Audyssey corrections are what they are, and they are the same, exactly the same, whether you listen at volume X or volume X + 10 dB. Nothing about the Audyssey corrections changes. If you've changed the sub output level or the volume level on the sub itself, the bass is either louder or quieter than it "should be' but the Audyssey corrections are exactly the same as they were before.
post #14233 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Describe what you mean by "you lose what Audyssey is doing."

When you turn up the sub, you turn it up. When you turn down the sub you turn it down. HWne you turn up the volume on your receiver, you turn up the volume, when you turn it down it turns it down. How do you think that changing the volume with one control versus with another changes Audyssey is doing? (leaving aside dynamic volume and dynamic EQ). It can't, AFAIK, for the reasons I tried to explain before. The Audyssey corrections are what they are, and they are the same, exactly the same, whether you listen at volume X or volume X + 10 dB. Nothing about the Audyssey corrections changes. If you've changed the sub output level or the volume level on the sub itself, the bass is either louder or quieter than it "should be' but the Audyssey corrections are exactly the same as they were before.

I see that you know about the Audyssey forum. This is what Chris had to say about the sub gain moving or any other volume more than + or - 3 db with Audyssey:

Dynamic EQ has two components: static and dynamic (hence the name). The static component looks at the volume control setting and the trims and then makes an adjustment based on the loudness curve used in the model. The dynamic part is continuously looking at the content in each channel and making fine adjustments. The soft and loud parts of the content are being treated differently because they fall on different loudness curves. A boost or cut in the sub channel trim will shift this balance from what was intended. You would be in preference land.

As has already been stated, it's best to tweak the level in the AVR so you always know what exactly was done.

Bill
post #14234 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 PM

One of my children stepped on my Subwoofer cable that is hooked to my Empire, and the cable snapped at the connector, and the metal pin is jammed all the way inside!!! Sould I take this thing apart, or just start using the crossover connection? Is there a big difference in the two? What would any of you Empire fans do?
post #14235 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by THANKGOD4PLASMA View Post

One of my children stepped on my Subwoofer cable that is hooked to my Empire, and the cable snapped at the connector, and the metal pin is jammed all the way inside!!! Sould I take this thing apart, or just start using the crossover connection? Is there a big difference in the two? What would any of you Empire fans do?

I wish I could say that I knew of a trick to extract it, but I don't. I would call Chad at Epik and see what he says. In the meantime, you should be able to turn the crossover setting up to its max frequency and use that input for your LFE. Shouldn't really be much, if any, difference.

Edit: Here are a couple of suggestions that I found:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...in-on-servo-15

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...ml#post1256829
post #14236 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see that you know about the Audyssey forum. This is what Chris had to say about the sub gain moving or any other volume more than + or - 3 db with Audyssey:

Dynamic EQ has two components: static and dynamic (hence the name). The static component looks at the volume control setting and the trims and then makes an adjustment based on the loudness curve used in the model. The dynamic part is continuously looking at the content in each channel and making fine adjustments. The soft and loud parts of the content are being treated differently because they fall on different loudness curves. A boost or cut in the sub channel trim will shift this balance from what was intended. You would be in preference land.

As has already been stated, it's best to tweak the level in the AVR so you always know what exactly was done.

Bill

Aha. I thought we must be talking past each other. THe reason I repeatedly said something like "if you ignore dynamic volume and dynamic EQ" is because of the issues dealt with by Chris's quote, which deals with DYnamic EQ.

If you turn off dynamic volume and turn off dynamic EQ then no aspect of dynamic volume or dynamic EQ will be operational at all. Yet Audyssey still is working - - applying the corrections to get to its target curve, which is why I talked about the target curve. So changing the volume on the sub channel does not change the corrections that Audyssey applies to get to the target curve. Of course, as I believe I said in my first or second post on this, it will effect how dynamic EQ and dynamic volume work in the room at the frequencies covered by the sub.

I use exactly this fact in my own setup everyday. For whatever reason, in my room, with my imperfect sub, to my ears, autosetup sets the sub just a bit too high, when dynamic EQ is on. Since I really like what dynamic EQ does, I have adjusted my sub down just a bit. Then, when dynamic EQ makes its corrections (on top of the corrections that Audyssey MultEQ XT does) things don't sound outta control.
post #14237 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 05:27 PM

So it's September now... and the "Add to Cart" button on the Legend still does nothing. Grr.
post #14238 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Aud on my avr set my sub to 11db on my avr-1910, does this number sound accurate? The sub is about 1' from me.

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #14239 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

I wish I could say that I knew of a trick to extract it, but I don't. I would call Chad at Epik and see what he says. In the meantime, you should be able to turn the crossover setting up to its max frequency and use that input for your LFE. Shouldn't really be much, if any, difference.

Edit: Here are a couple of suggestions that I found:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...in-on-servo-15

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...ml#post1256829

Hey thanks for the response! You are right I didn't notice a difference with it hooked into the crossover, still sounds great!
post #14240 of 20368 Old 09-03-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:

As long as there is no chance of anything shorting you're probably safe but I wouldn't leave it this way. If it is just a single broken off pin inside get yourself the smallest thin sheet metal screw you can find, dont think a drywall screw is thin enough, try to thread it a half turn into the pin, it only needs to grab a little then try pulling it out.
A thin brad nail scored and pushed into the pin might grab it enough to pull it out, you could try a drop of glue or super glue on the brad, push it in and wait for it to dry then pull it out but you have to be very careful or you can end up worse than you started. Good luck.

Edit: Just read down the thread a little more, nevermind, good suggestions in the links vraxoin provided, I like the needle trick...
post #14241 of 20368 Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Imho, I wouldn't try jamming stuff in there. If you can't reach the end with a long nosed pliers, then remove the mounting screws and take a look if it can be pushed our from the other side. If it's not a simple task, I'd call Chad before risking causing any perminent damage. My .02 fwiw. Good luck
post #14242 of 20368 Old 09-06-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

With a helper, turning it upside down and see if the pin will fall out on its own or at less come out enough where it can be reach with a needle nose plier. If this doesn't work, then suggest calling Chad (my .02).
post #14243 of 20368 Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

You have a working sub right now. I suggest using the crossover input (like you're currently doing) and not risk damaging anything. That's my $.02.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #14244 of 20368 Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
the Darla scene supposedly goes down to 10hz.
post #14245 of 20368 Old 09-06-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post

the Darla scene supposedly goes down to 10hz.

Counsil Basement HT
post #14246 of 20368 Old 09-06-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Just thought I'd finally post some REW graphs of my Empire. I went through a fair bit of trial and tribulation to understand the nature of my room. Due to it being a second floor bonus room over a garage, even though fully closed off, the room "breathes" too much and does not have the typical room gain one gets in smaller rooms with sturdier (e.g. concrete) walls/floors/ceilings.

First off is the raw measurement:

Next is predicted filtering results with six filters, manually tweaked (I inverted the filters to see how they follow the peaks/valleys):

And finally the actual measurement, using six filters:

yes, I used some filter gains, not just cuts, based on advice in the REW forum at HT Shack. And it was far easier to manage and provided better results.

The SW is positioned just left of my Center Channel, and the measured LP is left of the front center seat of my HT (I have two rows of seating). If I measure at the LP exactly I get bigger nulls that simply aren't practical to manage, so measuring from the seat beside it seems prudent.

I'm relatively satisfied with this, though still jealous of those who maintain good room gain well below 20 Hz.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #14247 of 20368 Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Reading the Audyessy setup guide, it says to set the subwoofer to 120hz instead of 80hz (in the avr). Did I read this right?

post #14248 of 20368 Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Reading the Audyessy setup guide, it says to set the subwoofer to 120hz instead of 80hz (in the avr). Did I read this right?

Yes, that is correct. Audyssey will give you final crossovers after you run it for the speakers. The sub is as high as you can set it in the reciever and that usually is at 120 for the crossover.
post #14249 of 20368 Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Yes, the LPF of the LFE should be 120 HZ.
post #14250 of 20368 Old 09-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The sub is as high as you can set it in the reciever and that usually is at 120 for the crossover.

It was set to 80,not 120. Your saying I need to manually set it to 120hz? will I notice a sq difference at 120hz instead of 80hz?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page