9Likes

post #15451 of 20451 Old 12-11-2010, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post

I've always wanted to know what dual conquest's would sound like. My theater is 12'W x 20'L x 9'H which is a small room.
ON IN II was generous enought to sell his conquest so I can fulfill my conquest of dual conquest.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1018797

I doubled up on the 5/8 drywall with extra green glue.(Got extra green glue if interested). My current conquest is shaking the nails out of my T-111 siding. I just pull the nail out by hand and replace it with a screw. I'm quite confident dual conquest will blow my window out which is what I'm aiming for The more I see my drywall crack, the happier I am. Looks like I won't need those butt shakers anymore. You can never have too much bass.

Considering how much my dual Towers shake my house, I can only conclude that you are INSANE! Welcome to the IBM (International Brotherhood of Madmen)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15452 of 20451 Old 12-12-2010, 11:23 PM

Anxiously waiting for some reviews and or response from the Legend owners!

Alot of happy campers with the Empire thus far!!

Any happy campers with the Legend?
post #15453 of 20451 Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybr549 View Post

Anxiously waiting for some reviews and or response from the Legend owners!

Alot of happy campers with the Empire thus far!!

Any happy campers with the Legend?

Umm, way back when it was first available a bunch of new owners posted their thoughts. Have a look through the posts from late-October through early-November.

e.g.:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post19377463

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #15454 of 20451 Old 12-13-2010, 01:00 PM

I received a legend a couple weeks ago. This is my first time getting a real sub so I haven't really given a review much thought as I don't have a valid reference point for making a good comparison.

A friend of mine also recently got the Lava 12. so we decided to do a mini comparison. We both felt that the Legend hit lower and did so with better accuracy. Since we didn't' have an spl meter, we weren't able to see which could go louder. For both HT and music, we both felt the legend did a better job and the difference was noticeable.

Granted the legend is roughly twice as expensive as the lava and it's pricing seems justified based upon our unofficial testing.
post #15455 of 20451 Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Shinksma

Thanks for the info I've scanned the threads and must have overlooked them. Thanks!

And if anyone has not posted yet thier reviews/opinions on EPIK subs please do so.

We enjoy reading them, and to us that have not puchased one yet it helps us to make

up our minds.
post #15456 of 20451 Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM

Just received an Empire and finally getting this monster started. Question, I tried to search, but couldn't find the answer. Before running Audyssey, what settings do I dial the sub? I believe you put the volume at 50%, the phase at either 0 or 180, but what position do I dial the crossover (4 or 150?)
post #15457 of 20451 Old 12-14-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbender4 View Post

Just received an Empire and finally getting this monster started. Question, I tried to search, but couldn't find the answer. Before running Audyssey, what settings do I dial the sub? I believe you put the volume at 50%, the phase at either 0 or 180, but what position do I dial the crossover (4 or 150?)

If you use the LFE input the subwoofer's crossover setting gets ignored. Otherwise, or for your own sanity, dial it to 150 (as high as possible), since the implementation of the crossover will be handled by your AVR.

And put the gain knob (not a volume knob, technically) at about 30% or 10 o'clock. Otherwise Audyssey will probably drop your SW channel relative to the other speakers by too much.

Hope that helps,

shinksma

post #15458 of 20451 Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Interestingly, when I ran Audyssey on my Denon 4810, I had to turn the Empire down to about 9 o'clock on the volume dial. But, no complaints. The Empire strikes back every time it's played!!
post #15459 of 20451 Old 12-14-2010, 08:55 PM

I've owned an empire about 5 months. I recently started playing with a SPL Meter and REW. I thought I'd post some measurements since I haven't seen any for the Empire. These measurements were taken from the SPL Meter on top of a tripod at ear height pointed straight up. The tripod was partially extended and resting on the blue futon.

I only tried four positions for the sub so the placement is not optimal but the results are still pretty flat after equalization.

My room:
http://img17.imageshack.us/i/img2097r.jpg/

REW Results:
http://img251.imageshack.us/i/subresponse.jpg/

There is a room null at 68 which Audyssey does a pretty good job correcting. We can also see that the sub tails off at 17hz in my room.

Karl
post #15460 of 20451 Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/blog/

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #15461 of 20451 Old 12-18-2010, 04:58 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

If you use the LFE input the subwoofer's crossover setting gets ignored. Otherwise, or for your own sanity, dial it to 150 (as high as possible), since the implementation of the crossover will be handled by your AVR.

And put the gain knob (not a volume knob, technically) at about 30% or 10 o'clock. Otherwise Audyssey will probably drop your SW channel relative to the other speakers by too much.

Hope that helps,

shinksma

Do you want to set the gain on the sub, so that Audyssey sets the level roughly the same as your mains, or closer to 0db? Right now my mains are set to -6, and the sub to -4db. I am also wondering about the crossover it set for the mains (paradigm monitor 9) Currently the crossover is set to 40HZ. Would I be better to bump that up to 50-60HZ so the sub is handling more of the low end?
post #15462 of 20451 Old 12-18-2010, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaC View Post

Do you want to set the gain on the sub, so that Audyssey sets the level roughly the same as your mains, or closer to 0db? Right now my mains are set to -6, and the sub to -4db. I am also wondering about the crossover it set for the mains (paradigm monitor 9) Currently the crossover is set to 40HZ. Would I be better to bump that up to 50-60HZ so the sub is handling more of the low end?

Generally you want your mains to be around 0db in your AVR, since they don't have internal amplification, so to get max SPL at lowest SNR you should have the mains as high as possible without distorting due to clipping.

In general, the SW can be the same unless you are using an external EQ like a Behringer Feedback Destroyer 1124, in which case usually you have to back off the SW to -4dB or even less to avoid clipping the inputs on the BFD.

So having the SW the same as the mains (within 2 or 3 dB) is a good idea usually, but I'm not sure why your AVR has set the overall levels so low.

shinksma

post #15463 of 20451 Old 12-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaC View Post

PoppaC, I have Paradigm Monitor 9s as well, and my levels are similar to yours. I believe the reason for this is the efficiency of the Paradigms (it's pretty high). Also, I've gotten the best results by using the recommended THX settings of 80Hz crossover for all speakers.
post #15464 of 20451 Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 AM

Liked: 18
Thanks for the replies shinksma and Kevin. I have run Audyssey several times, and the results are about the same as far as what it sets the levels at. I believe all of the speakers are in the -5 to -7 range. As far as the crossovers, it sets the mains to 40, the center to 100, and the surrounds to 120.

I'll do a little experimenting with the gains and crossover settings and see if it sounds better. I'm pretty happy with it now.
post #15465 of 20451 Old 12-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Liked: 15
It's been too quiet in this thread over the last few weeks. I get the feeling there is going to be a new model dropping soon from Epik.
post #15466 of 20451 Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 PM

So Ive been following the epik loyalists for a while and am looking to purchase soon. I should have enough $$$ right after Xmas to buy two Empires, should I pull the trigger or wait a bit to see if something else comes out...... Ill be awfully disappointed if I purchase a set of empires and let say a 18 inch driver version of the empire comes out a month and a half later... What do you guys think?
post #15467 of 20451 Old 12-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTom83 View Post

So Ive been following the epik loyalists for a while and am looking to purchase soon. I should have enough $$$ right after Xmas to buy two Empires, should I pull the trigger or wait a bit to see if something else comes out...... Ill be awfully disappointed if I purchase a set of empires and let say a 18 inch driver version of the empire comes out a month and a half later... What do you guys think?

I usually don't suggest this.....but in this case I would wait for a bit before making a purchasing decision. Epik is overdue for a new product release. And since they have not had a large sub on their ticket in quite a while, I would bet my left deltoid Chad will be releasing an 18" sub near the beginning of 2011.
post #15468 of 20451 Old 12-18-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If a new product is being unveiled, according to Epik's release history, it should be around late January. I'd consult with Chad (email or better yet by phone) and swear to him you won't post anything about it on the forums.
Then....PM me the info (a simple "yes new product is expected" will do ) and I too would swear not to not only post, but not pm anyone the info you learned.

post #15469 of 20451 Old 12-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Liked: 11
You folks who have been following this company for awhile might be able to answer this: What is Epik's policy on defective or damaged delivered units? I can't find anything on the site about this, and I'm wanting to order sooner rather than later. Does the company makes exchanges in such a case without additional shipping costs to the consumer?
Thanks!
post #15470 of 20451 Old 12-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

If a new product is being unveiled, according to Epik's release history, it should be around late January. I'd consult with Chad (email or better yet by phone) and swear to him you won't post anything about it on the forums.
Then....PM me the info (a simple "yes new product is expected" will do ) and I too would swear not to not only post, but not pm anyone the info you learned.

lol, a true trustworthy person.
post #15471 of 20451 Old 12-19-2010, 06:24 AM

Did a ton of searching in this thread and really didn't see this discussed..

Probably going to pull the trigger soon on an empire. I have a large room with half of one side that opens up to another room. next to the couch/main listing area there is a closet that i can sink this sub into. This also happens to be the wall i set the sub in front of anyway but this guy is a big sub so would like to hide it.
Any thoughts? Concerns?

Thanks,
Martin

Martin
----------------
marantz SR6006, Panasonic 58" v10 plasma, Dual Epik legends subs, Polk monitor 70 towers, Polk CS2 center, (4)Polk rm7200 sats, Sony s550 bluray - Demopad- iPad remote
post #15472 of 20451 Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 AM

With the possibility of a new product coming out or being announced, is there a chance that the other subs will see a price drop?
post #15473 of 20451 Old 12-19-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_w View Post

Did a ton of searching in this thread and really didn't see this discussed..

Probably going to pull the trigger soon on an empire. I have a large room with half of one side that opens up to another room. next to the couch/main listing area there is a closet that i can sink this sub into. This also happens to be the wall i set the sub in front of anyway but this guy is a big sub so would like to hide it.
Any thoughts? Concerns?

Thanks,
Martin

Hiding a sub in an enclosed space like that is probably not ideal for room response and overall frequency response, especially if you close the door. Subs have the most even response when well away from a wall - we stick them in corners to use room gain caused by the close boundaries (walls) to boost the ultra-low frequencies (below 20Hz).

However, it really depends on the room. Try it and see (hear) if you like it. Use an SPL meter and FR software like REW to see what your room and freq response is like.

So...in other words: Dunno, YMMV.

shinksma

post #15474 of 20451 Old 12-19-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undyingforce View Post

With the possibility of a new product coming out or being announced, is there a chance that the other subs will see a price drop?

Not likely. The only price drops I've heard of happening is when Epik closes out a line and is getting rid of the last few items in stock that might be considered B-stock. Legends and Empires aren't being closed out - they look to remain staples in the line up for a while.

i.e. Epik uses the Saturn (car) method: the price is the price. Don't wait around for a sale.

AFAIK,

shinksma

post #15475 of 20451 Old 12-19-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Hiding a sub in an enclosed space like that is probably not ideal for room response and overall frequency response, especially if you close the door. Subs have the most even response when well away from a wall - we stick them in corners to use room gain caused by the close boundaries (walls) to boost the ultra-low frequencies (below 20Hz).

However, it really depends on the room. Try it and see (hear) if you like it. Use an SPL meter and FR software like REW to see what your room and freq response is like.

So...in other words: Dunno, YMMV.

shinksma

after i posted my question i realized they are side pushed so probably a real bad idea!
thanks.

Martin
----------------
marantz SR6006, Panasonic 58" v10 plasma, Dual Epik legends subs, Polk monitor 70 towers, Polk CS2 center, (4)Polk rm7200 sats, Sony s550 bluray - Demopad- iPad remote
post #15476 of 20451 Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Epik Vanquish on the gon y'all

ftwdk, gon = audiogon.com

post #15477 of 20451 Old 12-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 117
This thread has been really quiet these days. I guess we are all waiting for Chad to dump the dual 18" atomic deep bass BOMB!!!!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #15478 of 20451 Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm looking for an Epik Conquest.....AGAIN

I had a deal worked out with ON IN II but we lost communication. Maybe thats a sign he changed his mind. So it's back to the drawing board looking for something to keep my Conquest company. Is there a wanted section on Audiogon?

Gov...I hope your right, because if I don't hear from ON IN II, I will be all over Chad's new bass bombs!!

Bring it on Chad!!!
post #15479 of 20451 Old 12-23-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post

I'm looking for an Epik Conquest.....AGAIN

I had a deal worked out with ON IN II but we lost communication. Maybe thats a sign he changed his mind. So it's back to the drawing board looking for something to keep my Conquest company. Is there a wanted section on Audiogon?

Gov...I hope your right, because if I don't hear from ON IN II, I will be all over Chad's new bass bombs!!

Bring it on Chad!!!

Waffles check your email as I just got back from house hunting again and have not been around.
Thanks
post #15480 of 20451 Old 12-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON IN II View Post

Waffles check your email as I just got back from house hunting again and have not been around.
Thanks

There goes the "Dual 18" atomic deep bass BOMB"
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page