Forum Jump: 

post #16471 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Curious, why would you want to? What's the advantage?

I can't speak for bsoko2 situation but the main reason would be if you have a pre/pro or older avr without bass management, you can run stereo cables from pre outs to sub and then out sub to amp, setting crossover in sub for mains.
I don't need this, don't know why bsoko2 has an "issue" with this as he has quad Empires in his signature. Possible he wanted to set up individual speaker/sub combo for each channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16472 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

With one Legend, set the Legend amp gain between 10-11 o clock and run MCACC.
How are you mounting the Pio's supplied MCACC's mic? Seated ear height at the main LP or at the 3 positions (as MCACC allows) is best.

i set both of them at 10-11 and ran MCACC they are probably 6ft apart from each other. Does gain matching require a SPL meter?

as for placing the mic. i put it at the main LP at ear level (2 pillows and a box, which is all i have. lol)

I didnt have time to do any changes last night, but i did turn the sub to 0.
post #16473 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 07:42 AM

as for my buzzing, chad from epik recommend a cheater plug for my epson 8700. he sounded reassuring. lol
post #16474 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs4000 View Post
It has balanced XLRs, a crossover (line level) input (RCA jack) and an LFE input...and the standard speaker level inputs as well.
Evidently the problem is with the output impedance on the Decco's line out. This from Peachtree's customer service:

"The original Decco has a very high output impedance for it's pre-outs. This is due by them being directly connected to the tube preamp inside. They usually are fine for most external power amps, but can be problematic for most powered subs (this is one of the reasons why we went to a Class-A stage in our other models)."

So next question: are any of the subs in Epik's line "high impedance friendly"?
post #16475 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
After all of these issues with the legend should I even think about buying one???
post #16476 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 AM

i am very happy with my legends. i am just trying to calibrate them, so i can get the most out of them
post #16477 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw View Post
After all of these issues with the legend should I even think about buying one???
Not really many "issues", most are singular (with exception of auto on/off switch) caused by "system specific" items such as, what hardware is connected, how is it connected, home wiring, etc. I think if there really was a problem the forum would be flooded with complaints. For every "issue/complaint" there are hundreds/thousands of happy/satisfied owners that never post to the forum. That is my take on it all anyway. Product hasn't been out a year yet has it? In the end only time will tell.
post #16478 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw View Post
I am still not sold on the amp that comes with the Legend. As I have documented in this thread I have had a lot of trouble with it. In fact last night it shut down on me while I was watching Battle of Los Angeles. It just gets too hot! My sub volume was lower than the 9 o'clock position and I left the setting that Audyssey set on my AVR (-3db). I only made it one hour and ten minutes into the movie before it shut down.

I would like to know how other people in hot climates are doing with this sub. When I started the movie it was 97 degrees outside and 76 degrees in my house. I am curious if my environment is not cool enough for this sub. I am also curious if slapping a heat sink on the available space on the exterior of the amp would help.

ETA - I was using the sub for about 30 minutes before the movie while listening to music. This was rock music with no a lot of bass but it did warm up the sub before the movie started. So you could say I got about 1 hour 40 minutes out of the sub before it shut down.
post #16479 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBengal View Post

I would like to know how other people in hot climates are doing with this sub. When I started the movie it was 97 degrees outside and 76 degrees in my house. I am curious if my environment is not cool enough for this sub. I am also curious if slapping a heat sink on the available space on the exterior of the amp would help.
Well its not quite that hot outside, but inside my living room is typically 77/78 this time of year. Amp does get very hot but in the 1 month I have had it there have been no problems. Chad has said the "HOT" amp is normal, tho I do think its strange to be that "HOT", other power amps I have had never got that way, but they have never been enclosed in a box either.
post #16480 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbuzz View Post
I can't speak for bsoko2 situation but the main reason would be if you have a pre/pro or older avr without bass management, you can run stereo cables from pre outs to sub and then out sub to amp, setting crossover in sub for mains.
I don't need this, don't know why bsoko2 has an "issue" with this as he has quad Empires in his signature. Possible he wanted to set up individual speaker/sub combo for each channel.
Yes, i wanted to set up individual speaker/sub combo for each channel. I just like the audio with this setup better then small and subs.
post #16481 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumis View Post

i set both of them at 10-11 and ran MCACC they are probably 6ft apart from each other. Does gain matching require a SPL meter?

as for placing the mic. i put it at the main LP at ear level (2 pillows and a box, which is all i have. lol)

I didnt have time to do any changes last night, but i did turn the sub to 0.

While this is probably not your only issue, placing the mic on pillows and boxes is certainly not helping. You want the mic away from reflective (or absorptive) surfaces. I didn't have a tripod, so I used sticky-tack on top of a yard stick, which I anchored between 2 shoes on an ottoman. You've probably got some stuff around the house that can achieve the same effect.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #16482 of 20368 Old 06-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Does anyone have a REW chart for the Epik Legend? Oh btw just got my Legend today, it's a lot bigger then I thought hehe. So far I like it, have only played it like tops 2 hours I can't wait til it really sets in. Also think I found the perfect position in my room for it

By the way is it normal that when I turn it on, and also when I turn it off that I should come like a big kind of pop sound from the sub?

I thought I'd also add that I do not use the LFE, but the Crossover input since it really doesn't work good with the LFE input.

My reciever is a NAD C375BEE.
post #16483 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 01:07 AM

> Sorry for that comment.
post #16484 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtri View Post

It takes over a day to answer a simple questions or basically nobody has a answer? Not trying to be a dick..

I do not have this combo, but I would say that after many subs and receivers I have not had this pop, so to me it is not normal. I have also always used a subwoofer or lfe output though, so maybe the way you are using it may be why it does that. When you say you are turning it off, are you manually turning off the sub or is it when you turn off the receiver?

I am sure this is not much help, but I at least wanted to respond. Is suppose the best option would be to call Epik tomorrow.
post #16485 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Liked: 23
Made a decision to get onboard with Epik. After a few months of reviews I decided in the next few months to get dual Epik Empires for my theater room. My only question is should I get two Empires or two Legends. My room is 26x13x8. It is used 100% for movies. I want tight deep in your guts bass when the scene calls for it in my movies. When the Death Star explodes, I want things in my room to almost start to crack. Will the Empires be too much or will two Legends do the job well.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #16486 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

Made a decision to get onboard with Epik. After a few months of reviews I decided in the next few months to get dual Epik Empires for my theater room. My only question is should I get two Empires or two Legends. My room is 26x13x8. It is used 100% for movies. I want tight deep in your guts bass when the scene calls for it in my movies. When the Death Star explodes, I want things in my room to almost start to crack. Will the Empires be too much or will two Legends do the job well.

You'll be just fine with the two Empires. Prepare to have your jaw drop in awe.
post #16487 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Greetings:

I'm almost ready to buy an Epik Empire. My room is around 2,100 cubic feet with an open space that goes to the kitchen with adds another 1,200 cubic feet totaling less than 3,500 cubic feet. I love and prefer tight, deep and more accurate bass And visceral effect of a sub in which seems Empires will this job better than HSU vtf15h or eD a7s-450.

This is my concern. It's a 600W RMS amp but it's is split between the 2 subs; so each sub it's like outputting a max of 300w for each driver or how it works? Or do you think guys is a better idea and get the Rythmik F15HP which can output also 600W RMS on a single 15" driver and can give the the same or better SQ of the tight and deep bass the Empire can do? I don't want a ported sub. So the Rhytmik Fv15hp or hvs vtf h15 is not on list. My interest is 60% movies and 40% music.

Help please
post #16488 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

Greetings:

I'm almost ready to buy an Epik Empire. My room is around 2,100 cubic feet with an open space that goes to the kitchen with adds another 1,200 cubic feet totaling less than 3,500 cubic feet. I love and prefer tight, deep and more accurate bass And visceral effect of a sub in which seems Empires will this job better than HSU vtf15h or eD a7s-450.

This is my concern. It's a 600W RMS amp but it's is split between the 2 subs; so each sub it's like outputting a max of 300w each? Or do you think guys is a better idea and get the Rythmik F15HP which can output also 600W RMS on a single 15" driver and can give the the same or better SQ of the tight and deep bass the Empire can do? I don't want a ported sub. So the Rhytmik Fv15hp or hvs vtf h15 is not on list. My interest is 60% movies and 40% music.
Help please

I own an Empire and have heard the sealed Rythmik and for SQ they're both good choices. You would need a very controlled test environment to detect SQ differences between the two.

For output I'd expect the Empire to have a bit of an advantage based on cabinet size and the two drivers, but that's guesswork on my part....
post #16489 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post

I own an Empire and have heard the sealed Rythmik and for SQ they're both good choices. You would need a very controlled test environment to detect SQ differences between the two.

For output I'd expect the Empire to have a bit of an advantage based on cabinet size and the two drivers, but that's guesswork on my part....

Thanks for that info. Empire just missed the EQ from Rythmik. Is there any cheap Eq device that have similar EQ features to add to the Empire?
post #16490 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 05:41 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks for that info. Empire just missed the EQ from Rythmik. Is there any cheap Eq device that have similar EQ features to add to the Empire?

I've used the ED EQ2, its about $100. I got this because I also needed an HPF (not for the Empire). It's a little tricky to use and has some limitations but once you get it set up it does the job.

The Empire doesn't need a HPF, so there might be better choices, do a search. I know this has been discussed before but don't remember the details.
post #16491 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings:

This is my concern. It's a 600W RMS amp but it's is split between the 2 subs; so each sub it's like outputting a max of 300w for each driver or how it works? Or do you think guys is a better idea and get the Rythmik F15HP which can output also 600W RMS on a single 15" driver and can give the the same or better SQ of the tight and deep bass the Empire can do? I don't want a ported sub. So the Rhytmik Fv15hp or hvs vtf h15 is not on list. My interest is 60% movies and 40% music.

Help please

Power is just one part of the equation. There is also driver sensitivity and driver surface area. If you have one driver rated at 90db sensitivity, and another at 93db. It would take double the power for the 90db rated driver to reach 93dbs. WRT to a single 15" vs dual, I think this post by robobob best explains it (I hope he dosen't mind )
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19218977

Empire....F15HP...can't go wrong with either. Not detract to further from the Epik thread, but mabye the F25 (and F25HP) would suit your needs as well.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #16492 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Empire just missed the EQ from Rythmik. Is there any cheap Eq device that have similar EQ features to add to the Empire?

I use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P otherwise known as BFD (can be had for about $100 new - less used) and Room EQ Wizard otherwise known as REW (free software) to EQ my Empire. All I needed was one filter with a narrow -5db cut at 26 Hz to tame a peak. Could have gotten by without it but I already had it.
post #16493 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savior sound View Post

I use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P otherwise known as BFD (can be had for about $100 new - less used) and Room EQ Wizard otherwise known as REW (free software) to EQ my Empire. All I needed was one filter with a narrow -5db cut at 26 Hz to tame a peak. Could have gotten by without it but I already had it.

I have the Dsp1124p but I have no idea how to use it. I try to follow some instructions on the web but are for a more experience people. The manual does not explain very well. My English is good but not perfect and sadly this manual has like 10 different languages except Spanish!!
post #16494 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:

I have the Dsp1124p but I have no idea how to use it.

Go to this forum for BFD help:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ation-devices/

And this one for help with Room EQ Wizard:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/

I would start with REW and see what your room/sub combo need. REW can then recommend what filters to apply and even show a predicted outcome of what your frequency response will look like with them applied. The BFD manual is not geared toward using it for sub parametric EQ so it is not much help anyway.
post #16495 of 20368 Old 06-19-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

I do not have this combo, but I would say that after many subs and receivers I have not had this pop, so to me it is not normal. I have also always used a subwoofer or lfe output though, so maybe the way you are using it may be why it does that. When you say you are turning it off, are you manually turning off the sub or is it when you turn off the receiver?

I am sure this is not much help, but I at least wanted to respond. Is suppose the best option would be to call Epik tomorrow.

It comes when I turn it off with the off/auto/on function, I do not use auto function. I turn it off/on manually.
post #16496 of 20368 Old 06-20-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtri View Post

It comes when I turn it off with the off/auto/on function, I do not use auto function. I turn it off/on manually.

That switch (off/auto/on) has been buggy for some people. Probably best just to set at auto or on and use LARGE on/off switch.
post #16497 of 20368 Old 06-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

This thread is HUGE; so proably what I'm going to ask is here. But here I comes. Does anyone tried to put the Empires facing to LP and give better results than leaving the Empire with the Logo Facing to LP?

I know it depends on room; furnitures; etc... But just to know what is the experience to lucky Empire owners!
post #16498 of 20368 Old 06-21-2011, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had their legend for a few months now? Just wondering how are u guys liking it so far for movies? Thanks guys.
post #16499 of 20368 Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 AM

Liked: 18
Three months, and love my Legend! One of the best AV purchases I have made, unlike the crappy sub it replaced.
post #16500 of 20368 Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Same issues is happening to my Legend amp. It doesn't shut off on "auto". I see this happening when the amp is extremely hot. I can probably cook an egg on it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page