Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 608 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 346
right now i have it at 80, i tested 100 briefly but didn't sound right to me at lower volumes like that, but ill be giving it a better eval again later this weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does Epik have a 1 year or 2 year warranty?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
3 year amp and driver.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post

The key to successful circumvention of the "WAF" to is seek forgiveness after the fact. Also, don't get into the details in advance and back yourself into a corner. Express surprise at first, then head right for forgiveness mode. Learn to embrace this strategy on these important purchases..

LOL, so true. I would also like to add that after the initial shock wore off I showed her this pic from the 2 Brothers Sub Shootout and explained that what was sitting in our livingroom was the "little" sub in the middle of the pic and that my second choice was the VTF-15H pictured on the far right. Didn't hear another peep after that.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Reverse physcology is wonderful!

Jeff
Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piening2150 View Post

LOL, so true. I would also like to add that after the initial shock wore off I showed her this pic from the 2 Brothers Sub Shootout and explained that what was sitting in our livingroom was the "little" sub in the middle of the pic and that my second choice was the VTF-15H pictured on the far right. Didn't hear another peep after that.

Smart man!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by piening2150 View Post

Maybe that's simply because you chose the sub that looks the nicest in that bunch...but the threat of the worst looking (aesthetically IMHO speaking only, not saying anything about the quality otherwise) couldn't hurt!

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I actually like the way the VTF-15H looks...

Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw612 View Post

I do as well. And I showed my wife the EXACT same pic before I bought the Empire. She goes, which one do you REALLY want. After I said the Empire, she called Chad and ordered me one.

Awesome
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM

To my wife they are all giant, stupid, ugly, black boxes So after reading every thread I could find and deciding I would be perfectly happy with either the Empire or VTF-15H it all came down to which would upset the wife the least
Old 04-22-2012, 10:12 AM

Why do people choose the Empire over the 15H? I agree the Empire looks better, but all of the tests seem to put the 15H on top.

I'm in the market very soon.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bym051d View Post

Why do people choose the Empire over the 15H? I agree the Empire looks better, but all of the tests seem to put the 15H on top.

Sound. It's not just looks. I haven't heard the 15H but had dual VTF3-MK3. Also, owned a few SVS ported subs. I just looked over at my Empire as I type this and can only imagine the size of the 15H. It's so much larger in the shootout pic.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bym051d View Post

The 15H has 2-3 dB more output than the Empire from 20-40 hz. Below and above that range the Empire has more output.

The 15H is considerably larger than the Empire. The Empire's prodigious midbass capabilities and dual opposed sealed design gives it a considerable advantage for music. It also allows it to be crossed over at much higher frequencies if one needs to integrate with smaller satellites/planars.
Each has its own strengths and compromises.
If you don't mind a larger sub and need to fill a large space for movies around $1K get the 15H. If you need a smaller sub, prefer the "sealed sound" or want a sub with extremely high output for music get an Empire.
Both are versatile. The 15H may have an advantage for movies bit is still musical. The Empire may have an advantage for music but is still excellent for movies.
There is no clear cut winner just differences to accommodate various preferences or needs.
morrischestnut's response is the most common reason to choose between subs in the same price range.
Good luck with your search.
Tim
PS: If you're definitely going ported and can stretch the budget the Rythmik FV15HP is a performance per dollar monster.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodorthopod View Post

The 15H has 2-3 dB more output than the Empire from 20-40 hz. Below and above that range the Empire has more output.

The 15H is considerably larger than the Empire. The Empire's prodigious midbass capabilities and dual opposed sealed design gives it a considerable advantage for music. It also allows it to be crossed over at much higher frequencies if one needs to integrate with smaller satellites/planars.
Each has its own strengths and compromises.
If you don't mind a larger sub and need to fill a large space for movies around $1K get the 15H. If you need a smaller sub, prefer the "sealed sound" or want a sub with extremely high output for music get an Empire.
Both are versatile. The 15H may have an advantage for movies bit is still musical. The Empire may have an advantage for music but is still excellent for movies.
There is no clear cut winner just differences to accommodate various preferences or needs.
morrischestnut's response is the most common reason to choose between subs in the same price range.
Good luck with your search.
Tim
PS: If you're definitely going ported and can stretch the budget the Rythmik FV15HP is a performance per dollar monster.

This might be the best comparison I've yet to read between these two subs.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw612 View Post

I was thinking more in terms of WAF and ability to blend in more rooms easily (I usually have to point mine out). The Hsu has it's own charm; it's still a sub I considered before I bought the Empire, as I don't mind its looks, with all my gear and bikes there's no WAF kind of thing going on at my place in any case.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

I do as well. And I showed my wife the EXACT same pic before I bought the Empire. She goes, which one do you REALLY want. After I said the Empire, she called Chad and ordered me one.

Awesome

Congratulations, you have a wife like mine

Next month I'm ordering my second Empire, my wife is cool with it, and she totally hates the sub but she lets me have my cave and all that dwells in it.

Dude, my wife is NOT in the HT like me, she can take but will always choose to leave it in a heart beat. But after I made the upgrade to my RTiA speakers, she's watching a movie with me and says; "Don't take this the wrong way, but now with your new sound, you need a bigger TV".

I was floored but played it cool, I'm like; "Yeah, I see your point, my 50" plasma does seem kinda small".

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
Old 04-23-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Its not exactly clear from the pictures i attached above but there is a little window on each side one my desk, the one on the right now has a very large crack in it. Old windows that don’t sit snug in the frame. It rattled until it cracked, Pretty amazing amount of bass comes out of this sub in a small room.

I know most people use them for HT and music but if any of you are gamers Battlefield 3 has some pretty insane LFE in it, and I’m not playing anywhere close to reference.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

Old windows that don't sit snug in the frame. It rattled until it cracked, Pretty amazing amount of bass comes out of this sub in a small room.

D D D DANG!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

Its not exactly clear from the pictures i attached above but there is a little window on each side one my desk, the one on the right now has a very large crack in it. Old windows that don't sit snug in the frame. It rattled until it cracked, Pretty amazing amount of bass comes out of this sub in a small room.

I know most people use them for HT and music but if any of you are gamers Battlefield 3 has some pretty insane LFE in it, and I'm not playing anywhere close to reference.

Yes, it does! Battlefield 2 was the same way. Being in close vicinity to an actively shelling tank was/is quite impressive.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

D D D DANG!

it may have already been cracked but its larger now
LL
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Had any of the Empire owners taken close mike FR measurements (1" distance from the driver so that room is not a factor) ?
I searched the forum but could not find anything.

I am curious if there is any bass boost at 25Hz similar to what I found in my Legends.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

Had any of the Empire owners taken close mike FR measurements (1" distance from the driver so that room is not a factor) ?
I searched the forum but could not find anything.

I am curious if there is any bass boost at 25Hz similar to what I found in my Legends.

Empire measurements are here:
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=50&mset=48
Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post

Empire measurements are here:
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=50&mset=48

thank you. this answered my question.

Quote:

The Empire is apparently boosted near 20Hz to extend the frequency response...
The subwoofer runs out of headroom near 20Hz where there is EQ boosting first....
..Compression performance is very good above 30Hz and almost all of the compression occurs where there is EQ boosting applied to the system (we suspect clipping).

Old 04-27-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskaard View Post

Just to make sure, what number are you calling?

(815) 337-6067 ?

Reminder
Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM

Does the Epik Empire amplifier have any EQ or DSP built-in?
My Epik Empire has died on me and Epik does not support the European distributor (Lsound) anymore and doesn't reply to my e-mails and doesn't answer the phone.
One option I have is replacing the amp with one I can source locally in the Netherlands such as a Hypex DS 8.0.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioSupra View Post

Does the Epik Empire amplifier have any EQ or DSP built-in?
My Epik Empire has died on me and Epik does not support the European distributor (Lsound) anymore and doesn't reply to my e-mails and doesn't answer the phone.
One option I have is replacing the amp with one I can source locally in the Netherlands such as a Hypex DS 8.0.

No, the amp does not have a EQ or DSP built in. Did you contact Epik directly? They should be able to take care of you.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

No, the amp does not have a EQ or DSP built in. Did you contact Epik directly? They should be able to take care of you.

Actually if you read Josh Ricci's review (and that particular bit was linked and mentioned just a few posts ago) he does believe the amp has a built in eq boost around 20hz.

I'd suggest contacting Epik and see if they can't ship you a replacement amp.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Actually if you read Josh Ricci's review (and that particular bit was linked and mentioned just a few posts ago) he does believe the amp has a built in eq boost around 20hz.

I'd suggest contacting Epik and see if they can't ship you a replacement amp.

My Epik is in theory still under warranty (it's from Nov 2010) but when Epik doesn't respond to e-mails or calls what else can I do?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioSupra View Post

My Epik is in theory still under warranty (it's from Nov 2010) but when Epik doesn't respond to e-mails or calls what else can I do?

I suggest you keep calling. They will eventually pick it up and help you. I had a similar experience when the auto on off switch on my legend stopped working for the first time and they wouldn't respond but I eventually talked to them and they took care of it.

I know it's not ideal, but it is what it is.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 11
Well my search has ended for a second Epik Conquest. The output in this room is just......WOW! Bass so low that when you speak, your words are vibrated as if you where talking in front of a fan. Any loose article of clothing you are wearing can be seen vibrating. My projector screen now has waves of ripples that go up and down the screen. Now with plenty of headroom to spare, it is time to start enjoying this room.

Thank you Chad for making a subwoofer with performance that never fails to impress. It really is a shame that these aren't in production any longer. Just like hometheaterhifi's review says, "The Conquest is an eye opening subwoofer". Pairing them up and hearing them together for the first time was a relieving experience, as in bass will never be an issue with future theater rooms.

One more shoutout goes to cnmberryman. Thank for inviting us to your home. Your setup is amazing. This transaction couldn't have gone any smoother

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer