Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Well if finally happened, the Legend as died. The sub stopped working the other day. The amp board has no burns or other problems. I had a blown fuse. I replaced the fuse and the sub powers on. The red power light is on. But, no driver action. I check the speaker wire connection inside the legend and they are good. When I place the RCA sub cable in the sub I get the familiar feedback noise. What am I over looking? This thing should work. Any help is appreciated.

Do u mean by feedback a loud thump or vibrating driver? If so try resetting all the connections to the sub. Do you have a eq inbetween the receiver and sub? If so, try power cycling those things. I had a similar issue where sub stopped working. So I power cycled my sub eq and everything worked again. Just an idea to see if it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
The RCA cable has hum noise just from the EMF which is normal. The light on the amp should turn green. If I turn on the sub and then go to the auto on switch and place the switch to on, the fuse will blow. Tried a different fuse and the same result. Some must be shorting out on the amp board.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

The RCA cable has hum noise just from the EMF which is normal. The light on the amp should turn green. If I turn on the sub and then go to the auto on switch and place the switch to on, the fuse will blow. Tried a different fuse and the same result. Some must be shorting out on the amp board.

likely, one of the output transistors are fried, which could have taken out the power supply main transistors. seen it a lot of times on these amps. often the cause are the crappy Chinese capacitors drying up... they are only designed to last a couple of years after all.
one of the problems i see in this thread, are people replacing the amps with worse amps that i have worked on also. they are only extending the life for a short while.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:02 PM

oh, and of course i should mention... the leading cause of amp failure... the speaker. seen a lot of people get amps fixed or buy new amps, and hook it up to a bad speaker, and wonder why it blew up so fast... they always seem to blame the amp too.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
The easiest and cheap fix may be to just get a pro amp, disconnect the speaker wires from the old amp board and use the high level inputs after the speaker wires are attached. I may just leave the old amp plate on the sub and the internal volume will remain the same and the box tunning will not be altered.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Derrickdj1- thats pretty much what happened to mine, minus the blown fuse. nothing smoking, leaking, fried, etc. still trying to figure it out. PITA, esp with everything glued in place. This was an interm sub, was planning on building some rythmiks but I was hoping to get a little more life out of this.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:

The easiest and cheap fix may be to just get a pro amp, disconnect the speaker wires from the old amp board and use the high level inputs after the speaker wires are attached. I may just leave the old amp plate on the sub and the internal volume will remain the same and the box tunning will not be altered.

This is how I am operating right now, however it doesn't have the same sound as with the original amp, probably due to the 6db boost at 22hz(?)

Old 04-05-2014, 08:10 AM

The wife and I downsized for a bit and I have 2 Sentinels in need of a new home for someone local in Las Vegas… Both are in awesome condition and I haven't had a single issue with either one.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:53 AM

Epik Empire Problem

My Epik Empire has just stopped playing when using the RCA "Crossover" input. I can plug it into the RCA "LFE" input and it will work. Need some advice as to what's going on with this sub?
I've read a lot of post that the amps go bad in these units. I still get a green light but again unit stopped working when plugged into the Crossover. Do I need a new amp? Where can I get one now that Epik is closed?

Thx
Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRobo View Post

Epik Empire Problem

My Epik Empire has just stopped playing when using the RCA "Crossover" input. I can plug it into the RCA "LFE" input and it will work. Need some advice as to what's going on with this sub?
I've read a lot of post that the amps go bad in these units. I still get a green light but again unit stopped working when plugged into the Crossover. Do I need a new amp? Where can I get one now that Epik is closed?

Thx

Why do you need to use the crossover? Can't you use the lfe and let the receiver handle the crossover?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 AM

Good point. I have just always used the crossover input. However something is still wrong if the crossover stopped working and I get a slight hum using the LFE input. I will double check this evening when I get home from work.
Thx
Old 04-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyho View Post

Does anyone happen to have the specs for the legend drivers?

I'm looking for this information as well.

120@20@14'
Old 04-19-2014, 10:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Good point. I have just always used the crossover input. However something is still wrong if the crossover stopped working and I get a slight hum using the LFE input. I will double check this evening when I get home from work.

Thx

I have always gotten a slight hum when I turn the volume knob to 50% and higher. Never been able to figure it our and thought it was just normal. I'd be curious to what you and others have tried to correct this.

Long story short with mine was that I got my CC company to refund me the cost of the sub since a local repair shop was not able to fix it due to a proprietary part they could not locate. I will end up even or slightly ahead after all is said and done! smile.gif
Old 04-20-2014, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik1 View Post

Quote:

Thx

I have always gotten a slight hum when I turn the volume knob to 50% and higher. Never been able to figure it our and thought it was just normal. I'd be curious to what you and others have tried to correct this.

Long story short with mine was that I got my CC company to refund me the cost of the sub since a local repair shop was not able to fix it due to a proprietary part they could not locate. I will end up even or slightly ahead after all is said and done! smile.gif

You sure thats not ground loop hum?

Old 04-20-2014, 02:02 AM

Quote:

since a local repair shop was not able to fix it due to a proprietary part they could not locate.

ummm... there are no critical parts that are proprietary in any of the Epik amps. i've stocked all the parts for complete rebuilds.

time to find a real repair shop, with real part sourcing.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Thx

You sure thats not ground loop hum?

Not sure. I haven't spent too much time trying to isolate the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post

Quote:

since a local repair shop was not able to fix it due to a proprietary part they could not locate.

ummm... there are no critical parts that are proprietary in any of the Epik amps. i've stocked all the parts for complete rebuilds.

time to find a real repair shop, with real part sourcing.

I think it was the knob for the crossover that he couldn't find. It worked out for me either way. I'm being fully compensated.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 AM

Liked: 13
Hey guys,

So I purchased four of the 18" Dragon drivers when Epik was having their going-out-of-business sale back in February. With my busy schedule, just finished the build (two dual opposed sealed cabinets). While I am overall very happy with the sound quality and output, it turns out one of my drivers has a rubbing voice coil issue. It is very audible when playing test tones with excursion more than around 3/4" peak-to-peak (the driver should be capable of double that). Since Epik is no longer providing support (I've called and emailed), any suggestions where I could get an equivalent or closely matching replacement driver? It's VERY frustrating to put so much work into a project and have it turn out like this. confused.gif

I would appreciate any suggestions!
Matt
Old 05-13-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuoni View Post

Hey guys,

So I purchased four of the 18" Dragon drivers when Epik was having their going-out-of-business sale back in February. With my busy schedule, just finished the build (two dual opposed sealed cabinets). While I am overall very happy with the sound quality and output, it turns out one of my drivers has a rubbing voice coil issue. It is very audible when playing test tones with excursion more than around 3/4" peak-to-peak (the driver should be capable of double that). Since Epik is no longer providing support (I've called and emailed), any suggestions where I could get an equivalent or closely matching replacement driver? It's VERY frustrating to put so much work into a project and have it turn out like this. confused.gif

I would appreciate any suggestions!
Matt

Parts express is the first place I would look.

Sorry to read about your issues but I'm more surprised that only one of the drivers was bad than you received a bad driver. I wouldn't have touched Chad's going out of business sale at any price.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:37 PM

Guys I am looking to get a sub for my Home Theater. I found a Epik Legend Subwoofer local for $200. Is this good deal? Any anyone know specs on these subs?
Old 05-24-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post

Guys I am looking to get a sub for my Home Theater. I found a Epik Legend Subwoofer local for $200. Is this good deal? Any anyone know specs on these subs?

A friend of mine had a klipsch sub10 for several years. About 6mo ago he purchased a pair of legends...sold them 3-4weeks later and built a pair of downfiring marty cube with SI 18" drivers. They legends had good sound quality, but did not have a ton of headroom. They distort rather easily on the low end due to all the eq boost to llwer the +/-3db point. For 200.00 it is probably a good buy. My friend paid 300.00 each, if they had better low end he would of kept them.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

A friend of mine had a klipsch sub10 for several years. About 6mo ago he purchased a pair of legends...sold them 3-4weeks later and built a pair of downfiring marty cube with SI 18" drivers. They legends had good sound quality, but did not have a ton of headroom. They distort rather easily on the low end due to all the eq boost to llwer the +/-3db point. For 200.00 it is probably a good buy. My friend paid 300.00 each, if they had better low end he would of kept them.

I would like to maybe build something but never built speaker setup and not sure where to begin. Don't want spend $$ since just spent a lot getting theater mostly setup.

But thinking for theater the lower ends are pretty important.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

The wife and I downsized for a bit and I have 2 Sentinels in need of a new home for someone local in Las Vegas… Both are in awesome condition and I haven't had a single issue with either one.

lol, trying to sell my Empire here locally as well.....
Old 05-24-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post

Take a trip to up to Vegas and pick up my Empire smile.gif
Old 05-24-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post

Take a trip to up to Vegas and pick up my Empire smile.gif

Lol. If had the $$. I need a trip to Vegas. Live in Phoenix.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
For the value of an Empire, what do you guys plan to replace it with? I have a pair of Empires and I couldn't replace them for under 2k.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Just like any piece of a/v gear it just will get relegated to a lower echelon of duty in the house....for me the Empire and Infinity PSW310s will move to the bedroom and downstairs after dual Marty subs take over the living room.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

For the value of an Empire, what do you guys plan to replace it with? I have a pair of Empires and I couldn't replace them for under 2k.

You can build 4 of your own for that price that are even better in sound. Check my sig. Two will cost you about $1k.

I am almost done building my second one. Parts Express even do a knockdown box kit for it, all you need is glue, an amp, and some connectors. Piece of piss to make.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

Have you checked out the BPS215 from Reaction Audio? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512281/reaction-audio-subs

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer
User Tag List