9Likes

post #20431 of 20448 Old 11-01-2014, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

I'm pretty sure Epik Empire #1 's Amp died...

Amp powers up with signal but there is no sound. It's not the source. I took the amp off, anyone see anything wrong?

Full resolution pics of amp. download for zoom, etc:
Spoiler!

If it is dead, I'll need an amp. I was wondering if the Behringer NU3000DSP has enough juice to run 2 Epik Empire's? I hardly have the volume up at all on the Emires now:

Audyssey Calibrated Level:

Minimum:

Questions:

1) Is my amp dead?
2) Troubleshooting ideas?
3) Epik Empire speaker impedance at amp? (4 Ohm)? (I'm assuming the drivers are 8 Ohm wired in Parallel)?
4) Thoughs on Behringer NU3000DSP?
5) Can the Behringer NU3000DSP run 2 Epik Empires? (Behringer says 2x880w @ 4 Ohm)
6) I know about the Behringer NU6000DSP, but based on my volume level, I wonder if it it necessary at all....?
7) Subs are on opposite sides of the room about 50ft each from the rack, okay to run speaker level? (I have 12GA flat speaker wire "lamp cord")
8) What should I do at the back of the subwoofer in place of the plate amp? (It seems sealed as I can't see into the cabinet)

Suggestions appreciated!

I removed the plate amp, cut the wires leading to the drivers and then removed all of the pcb's. I soldered the wire from the drivers to some 12awg wire and poked it through one of the holes on the metal plate, then put the naked plate back on the box. Looks cleaner this way.

I think I remember a while back, one of the Epik Empire owners used an inuke3000dsp to drive his pair without problems. I was considering that amp too as it was a helluva deal @ $170. But it looks like youre going to use an inuke 6k. Please report back as to how it performs. When I replaced my fried plate amps with an EP4k, there was a noticeable improvement in slam. Now I'm using a Crown XLS2000 because it runs much quieter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20432 of 20448 Old 11-01-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
There's nothing you can to insure your amps won't be damaged. All you can do is determine if they will definitely be damaged.
Thanks. I thought that maybe something was wrong because I saw a bright and LOUD spark when I first hooked up my Empires to an EP4000 and drove it loud. I wasnt sure whether the spark came from the subs or the amp because they are very close to each other. I checked the connections, and there didnt appear to be any shorts. But that was just a one time thing and the Behringer seemed to drive them fine after that although the fans were loud. I replaced the behringer with a crown and i just wanted to avoid that spark upon initial hookup. The Crown is working great. No sparks and no fan noise!
post #20433 of 20448 Old 11-01-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybenz View Post
I removed the plate amp, cut the wires leading to the drivers and then removed all of the pcb's. I soldered the wire from the drivers to some 12awg wire and poked it through one of the holes on the metal plate, then put the naked plate back on the box. Looks cleaner this way.
I was thinking of having blank plates machined with banana plugs mounted. I wonder if the forum would be interested in this. I'm not sure how much it will cost but I'd imagine it'd be around $50 with the banana/speaker terminal. This would look the best. Some of the earlier Epik Empires do not have a MDF box for the amp and is open to the cabinet.

Quote:
I think I remember a while back, one of the Epik Empire owners used an inuke3000dsp to drive his pair without problems. I was considering that amp too as it was a helluva deal @ $170. But it looks like youre going to use an inuke 6k. Please report back as to how it performs.
Everything seems to be alright with the 6000DSP. I'm volume matched with the plate amp setting shown above at about 1/3 on the gain knob (Audyssey volume calibration), I have an actual calibration mic on the way and will be playing a bit with REW to figure out any EQ settings.

The only issue I have is there is a pop/thump when killing power via a smart strip. Right now I am turning it off manually before system power down. It looks like I'll have to wire a relay into the power switch inside so I can trigger the power off with the receiver and avoid the thump.
Quote:
Now I'm using a Crown XLS2000 because it runs much quieter.
The fan noise doesn't bother me a bit on the 6000DSP. Its honestly not that loud. I have my equipment in a different room and have other cooling fans in there, so I didn't really notice it. (I would never do the fan mod. Most people that do ignore the fact that their new 'quiet' fans are not pushing anywhere near the amount of air the stock fans do).

How do you power on/off the Crown, any thump? (you can test what a smart-strip or power sequencer would be like by simply unplugging it).

Last edited by Dreamliner; 11-01-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #20434 of 20448 Old 11-01-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
How do you power on/off the Crown, any thump? (you can test what a smart-strip or power sequencer would be like by simply unplugging it).
I run a trigger wire from my preamp to my Belkin PF60. The Crown is plugged into one of the high current outlets on the belkin. I set it so that only that outlet is switched when it senses current in the trigger connection from the pre. So my pre triggers the Belkin to power up the crown. No thump.

I honestly thought this surge protector was overpriced and useless, but it is putting itself to good use.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
post #20435 of 20448 Old 11-01-2014, 07:23 PM

Oh yeah and the belkin is also set to delay powering up the crown til everything else is on.

post #20436 of 20448 Old 11-01-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah and the belkin is also set to delay powering up the crown til everything else is on.
Yeah. My thump is on the way down. It does it without anything connected to the inputs. Oh well. Nothing a relay can't solve. Plus it gets me trigger control from the receiver.
post #20437 of 20448 Old 11-01-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah. My thump is on the way down. It does it without anything connected to the inputs. Oh well. Nothing a relay can't solve. Plus it gets me trigger control from the receiver.
Yeah well its good to hear about another Epik owner saving his subs. Its a shame that these amps plate amps were crap quality because the subs themselves sound great. There isn't much out there that can put out the mid bass spl of DUAL empires for under $1500ish. For me it was either take a risk and spend a couple hundred and try to salvage the situation with a pro amp or plunk down 3k for a triax or SubM. Before my amps died, I was always worried about when the plate amps would die. Now it feels good to crank it while having the peace of mind in knowing that the beefy pro amp wont crap out.

Last edited by dannybenz; 11-01-2014 at 07:45 PM.
post #20438 of 20448 Old 11-01-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah well its good to hear about another Epik owner saving his subs. Its a shame that these amps plate amps were crap quality because the subs themselves sound great. There isn't much out there that can put out the mid bass spl of DUAL empires for under $1500ish. For me it was either take a risk and spend a couple hundred and try to salvage the situation with a pro amp or plunk down 3k for a triax or SubM. Before my amps died, I was always worried about when the plate amps would die. Now it feels good to crank it while having the peace of mind in knowing that the beefy pro amp wont crap out.
That's exactly right. With 2 Epik Empires + the new amplifier total cost is $1850. I don't think I'd be able to buy a product that would be better for that money. 4 15" drivers, 2 enclosures and an amplifier is a lot for $1850. Maybe if I bought some Dayton Ultimax's and made my own boxes, but the Epik Enclosures look really nice.
post #20439 of 20448 Old 11-02-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Thanks. I thought that maybe something was wrong because I saw a bright and LOUD spark when I first hooked up my Empires to an EP4000 and drove it loud. I wasnt sure whether the spark came from the subs or the amp because they are very close to each other. I checked the connections, and there didnt appear to be any shorts. But that was just a one time thing and the Behringer seemed to drive them fine after that although the fans were loud. I replaced the behringer with a crown and i just wanted to avoid that spark upon initial hookup. The Crown is working great. No sparks and no fan noise!
That spark would have freaked me out especially not knowing where it came from exactly! Are you bridging the Crown? No dsp unit at all? Or using Audyssey or something?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #20440 of 20448 Old 11-02-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
That spark would have freaked me out especially not knowing where it came from exactly! Are you bridging the Crown? No dsp unit at all? Or using Audyssey or something?
The spark freaked me out. But that was with the Behringer and it never happened after that one time. The Crown is driving one sub from each channel, so no bridging here. I have measured the response with a cross spectrum umik, and I dont think I need a dsp that bad. There is a null, but the peaks are pretty much non existent. Not much that a dsp can fix. I have a minidsp, but its single ended. Maybe I'll try a bfd for kicks.

post #20441 of 20448 Old 11-02-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The spark freaked me out. But that was with the Behringer and it never happened after that one time. The Crown is driving one sub from each channel, so no bridging here. I have measured the response with a cross spectrum umik, and I dont think I need a dsp that bad. There is a null, but the peaks are pretty much non existent. Not much that a dsp can fix. I have a minidsp, but its single ended. Maybe I'll try a bfd for kicks.

Thanks, was curious since there was boost in the original amp. What's a single ended minidsp?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #20442 of 20448 Old 11-02-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks, was curious since there was boost in the original amp. What's a single ended minidsp?
http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...ox/minidsp-2x4

post #20443 of 20448 Old 11-02-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...ox/minidsp-2x4

What's single ended about it? I'm not familiar with the term in this sense?

post #20444 of 20448 Old 11-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
What's single ended about it? I'm not familiar with the term in this sense?
Single ended = Rca connectors. It doesnt put out enough voltage to drive a pro amp to max output.

post #20445 of 20448 Old 11-02-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, had not heard of rca connectors termed that way (only in amps before), so the .9v isn't sufficient for the Crown's 1.4v for full output....forgot about that output voltage limitation with the rca version....err, single ended version .

post #20446 of 20448 Old 11-17-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow has this thread grown since I last looked at it. The plate amp for my Epik Legend crapped out on me & my local electronics shop was unable to get it working again through over a month of trying to repair it. I am already on the hunt to buy a new sub, but am looking to find a plate amp that might work in the legend so that I can revive it & move it to another room. I know many people are just drilling a hole & using an iNuke amp to power it...but I was hoping someone had found a plate amp that was similar enough in size that it would work.
post #20447 of 20448 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What is the consensus on Dayton's 1kW plate amp? Suitable replacement for blown Empire plate amps? Will it fit? If so, how much cutting?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-809

I sold my Paradigm Sub 1, bought two Epik Empires, then had a baby so I never got to turn them on. I go to check on them last week, and they won't even turn on. So I need replacement amps, and I think I have it narrowed down to two Daytons or two Crown XLS1000s. The Crowns are cheaper and probably more power, but I don't think they have auto-on and obviously they take up more space.
post #20448 of 20448 Old Today, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post
What is the consensus on Dayton's 1kW plate amp? Suitable replacement for blown Empire plate amps? Will it fit? If so, how much cutting?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-809

I sold my Paradigm Sub 1, bought two Epik Empires, then had a baby so I never got to turn them on. I go to check on them last week, and they won't even turn on. So I need replacement amps, and I think I have it narrowed down to two Daytons or two Crown XLS1000s. The Crowns are cheaper and probably more power, but I don't think they have auto-on and obviously they take up more space.
You have two new Empires that were both bad without ever being plugged in? Odds on that seem pretty long. How did you analyze the amps being at fault? The Crowns do not have a trigger or auto on, but my XLS1500s work well with a smart strip as slaves, using the avr as master. The XLS1500 and up has a significantly better SNR rating btw.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page