Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 683 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
post #20461 of 20487 Old 01-01-2015, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking at buying a used Epik Conquest subwoofer. Would you all recommend it? How much would you think is a good price? Also, how does it compare to a Seaton Submersive, JTR Captivator, or the new 18" Reaction Audio sub? Would love owners impressions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20462 of 20487 Old 01-02-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I have an epik conquest. Best purchase I have made.
post #20463 of 20487 Old 01-03-2015, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few weeks ago, I noticed my Legend wasn't working. I put my hand on the plate and it was extremely hot. It actually lightly burned my hand. I turned it off then back on the next day. It came back and worked for a few days. Last night I noticed it wasn't working again. I checked and the light was off. I checked the fuse this morning and it wasn't burned out badly. I replaced and it immediately popped. I removed the plate amp (and accidentally pulled of the speaker crimp connectors in the process). Since I couldn't find any plate amps that would drop right in, and I could get a Behringer iNuke NU1000 for $150 with sufficient power, I modified the wiring on the plate so that the subwoofer connections went through the left low level input terminals. After reconnecting everything, I tested the ohms at 3.7. The amp will be here in a few days, and I'll report back on how it sounds. Honestly, this setup is in my living room where the volume never really gets turned up, so as long as the sub functions again, I doubt I will care any longer. I still have two functioning Empires in my theater that seem to be working fine. Hopefully that trend will continue.
post #20464 of 20487 Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Connecting Empire as Passive

I recently bought an Empire with a dead amp. I'm trying to run it passive with an outboard amp, but not getting any results. I removed the dead plate amp and connected the cut wires to a Crown K2 amp. From the Crown I connect to a Pioneer Elite AVR LFE output. Unfortunately I'm not getting any sound from the sub. Is a signal booster required from the AVR to the outboard amp?

Right now I have an RCA to 1/4" plug adapter from the AVR LFE to the amp. I also tried with an RCA to XLR converter, but that only resulted in a noticeable hum from the mains.

I've previously run powered subs from the AVR LFE with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks.
post #20465 of 20487 Old 01-05-2015, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by socoso View Post
I recently bought an Empire with a dead amp. I'm trying to run it passive with an outboard amp, but not getting any results. I removed the dead plate amp and connected the cut wires to a Crown K2 amp. From the Crown I connect to a Pioneer Elite AVR LFE output. Unfortunately I'm not getting any sound from the sub. Is a signal booster required from the AVR to the outboard amp?

Right now I have an RCA to 1/4" plug adapter from the AVR LFE to the amp. I also tried with an RCA to XLR converter, but that only resulted in a noticeable hum from the mains.

I've previously run powered subs from the AVR LFE with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks.
Are you sure the speakers are good? You should be able to touch the speaker(s) wires to a D cell battery and see if it moves, if not, the speakers are bad.
post #20466 of 20487 Old 01-05-2015, 07:06 AM

Drivers do appear to be good. Connected them to another amp on another system and they worked.

It's almost as if the LFE from the AVR is not sending an adequate signal to the outboard amp.
post #20467 of 20487 Old 01-05-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by socoso View Post
Drivers do appear to be good. Connected them to another amp on another system and they worked.

It's almost as if the LFE from the AVR is not sending an adequate signal to the outboard amp.
I'd think you'd get some sound even if the output voltage of your sub pre-out is low. You have gain maxed on the Crown? How exactly do you have the sub and amp connected? Are you sure you have the right 1/4" connector?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #20468 of 20487 Old 01-06-2015, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The Empire is a fine product. It's a shame about the QC in the amp affecting some batches and with no customer support from a defunct company, one is truly on their own. Knock on wood that I can get at least 10 years out of mine.
post #20469 of 20487 Old 01-06-2015, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by forlorn View Post
The Empire is a fine product. It's a shame about the QC in the amp affecting some batches and with no customer support from a defunct company, one is truly on their own. Knock on wood that I can get at least 10 years out of mine.
One of my two Empire amps failed. I replaced both with a Behringer NU6000DSP. I'll be selling my working plate amp soon.
post #20470 of 20487 Old 01-07-2015, 05:00 AM

Update on the Empire passive sub dilemma. Read through a bunch of threads, particularly the one where Ricci insisted that most AVR's have adequate LFE signals to drive a pro amp. Went back into the AVR and started messing with the set ups. Reset all the mains very low and bumped the subwoofer level up and that was able to get sound. Played around a little more with speaker distances and got things working well, with the exception of an annoying hum, which I assumed was related to the ground isolation. Never had any hum before adding the pro amp. All units, AVR, pro amp, DVD & CD were plugged into the same power strip from the same receptacle. Poked around some more in AVS with regards to hum threads and decided I needed to look into a hum eliminator. However, before getting this, I saw a tip on using an adapter on a 3 prong outlet, which the pro amp has. Popped on the $0.50 adapter, plugged amp back in and hum is gone completely! Will probably still pick up an isolator for safeguard, but all else is good.

Thanks AVS and to all the participants to the various threads for what I considered to be most useful and save me much frustration and cash!! Now I can get back to annoying my wife with a cranking sub.....
post #20471 of 20487 Old 01-07-2015, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
one of my two empire amps failed. I replaced both with a behringer nu6000dsp. I'll be selling my working plate amp soon.
interested in buying your epik amp plate. Call me at 608-778-6972. Thanks
post #20472 of 20487 Old 01-08-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan4498 View Post
interested in buying your epik amp plate. Call me at 608-778-6972. Thanks
Left you a Voicemail. Call me back or PM me.
post #20473 of 20487 Old 01-19-2015, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by forlorn View Post

I don't think the Empire had reliability problems in their amps. They had some, but not out of line with industry norms. It was the last few batches of Legends that had a lot of amp problems.

My Empire and Legend are working fine. Knock on wood.
post #20474 of 20487 Old 01-19-2015, 10:02 AM

post #20475 of 20487 Old 01-19-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpfisterer View Post
Dreamliner's ad?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #20476 of 20487 Old 01-19-2015, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpfisterer View Post
will this amp plate fit the dynasty?
post #20477 of 20487 Old 01-19-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Dreamliner's ad?
Not mine. I ended up selling my working and non-working amp direct to that dhan dude for about the same price. I'll be curious to see what it goes for.
post #20478 of 20487 Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 PM

Is anyone doing repairs on the Epik Empire amps? My empire has been demoted to an end table for now... I pulled the plate amp partially off and did not see any char marks...
post #20479 of 20487 Old 01-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Caps on the power supply board swollen and leaking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTom83 View Post
Is anyone doing repairs on the Epik Empire amps? My empire has been demoted to an end table for now... I pulled the plate amp partially off and did not see any char marks...

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #20480 of 20487 Old 01-20-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post
Caps on the power supply board swollen and leaking?
Nope.
post #20481 of 20487 Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, for those wondering, it's pretty easy to replace the amp in an Empire with the Dayton Audio SPA1000. Pics below:

I think one of the caps blew in the original amp.

Testing the new amp from PE. Which is a good thing I did because a wire got disconnected inside the amp due to a tie wrap which caused no output. PE tech support helped me find this and apparently happens to a lot of the units.

The cutout of the new amp is 10"x10" so I just removed the old amp enclosure and expanded the width of the cabinet hole by 1.25" on each side with a multi tool. The height is a little over 10" so I didn't need to do anything there.

After that, I just screwed in the new amp and I'm back in business

Without changing any of receiver settings, there was a lot more output right off the bat. So now I just need to find some time and a quiet house to rerun the calibration lol. Hopefully someone finds this helpful

Last edited by biggyd143; 01-21-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Wrong picture.
post #20482 of 20487 Old 01-21-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyd143 View Post
Hello, for those wondering, it's pretty easy to replace the amp in an Empire with the Dayton SPA1000. Pics below:

I think one of the caps blew in the original amp.

Testing the new amp from PE. Which is a good thing I did because a wire got disconnected inside the amp due to a tie wrap which caused no output. PE tech support helped me find this and apparently happens to a lot of the units.

The cutout of the new amp is 10"x10" so I just removed the old amp enclosure and expanded the width of the cabinet hole by 1.25" on each side with a multi tool. The height is a little over 10" so I didn't need to do anything there.

After that, I just screwed in the new amp and I'm back in business

Without changing any of receiver settings, there was a lot more output right off the bat. So now I just need to find some time and a quiet house to rerun the calibration lol. Hopefully someone finds this helpful

Extremely helpful.

Although my Empire is still going strong after 4 years of service, (knock on wood), I will bookmark this page for future reference.

I get nervous everytime i read another Epik amp failure story.

Valuable info here. Thanks for post
post #20483 of 20487 Old Today, 04:10 AM

I didn't get any feedback from anyone on my question. Someone local is looking to sell me a used Epik Conquest for $950. Is it worth that? My alternative is a Seaton Submersive for $1925. Would you all recommend it? How much would you think is a good price? Also, how does it compare to a Seaton Submersive, JTR Captivator, or the new 18" Reaction Audio sub? Would love owners impressions.
post #20484 of 20487 Old Today, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnapena View Post
I didn't get any feedback from anyone on my question. Someone local is looking to sell me a used Epik Conquest for $950. Is it worth that? My alternative is a Seaton Submersive for $1925. Would you all recommend it? How much would you think is a good price? Also, how does it compare to a Seaton Submersive, JTR Captivator, or the new 18" Reaction Audio sub? Would love owners impressions.
I'd lean towards the Seaton (Empire owner). You might look up some of the Kansas City sub/speaker get togethers by member Archaea and others, think you'll find comparisons with at least the Empire, Submersive and Captivator, maybe a Reaction Audio sub....

post #20485 of 20487 Old Today, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyd143 View Post
Hello, for those wondering, it's pretty easy to replace the amp in an Empire with the Dayton Audio SPA1000. Pics below:
How do I get higher resolution pictures?
post #20486 of 20487 Old Today, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Before I bought my Epik Empires new, I debated going with a Seaton Submersive. At the end of the day, 2 Epik Empires were cheaper than 1 Seaton Submersive. I have a hard time believing that 1 Seaton could compete with 2 Epik's.

Then my plate amp died and I replaced it with a Behringer NU6000DSP.

Now I have DSP control and more power than I know what to do with. Still cheaper than the 1 Seaton.
post #20487 of 20487 Unread Today, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Quote:
Before I bought my Epik Empires new, I debated going with a Seaton Submersive. At the end of the day, 2 Epik Empires were cheaper than 1 Seaton Submersive. I have a hard time believing that 1 Seaton could compete with 2 Epik's.

Then my plate amp died and I replaced it with a Behringer NU6000DSP.

Now I have DSP control and more power than I know what to do with. Still cheaper than the 1 Seaton.
I am not afraid of the amp problems if I can buy an external amp to power the Epiks if the amps go bad. I just want a great sub and was trying to stay under $1k. Do you think 2 Epik Empires would best a Seaton Submersive HP w/2400 watt amp? I read on some forums that they would not. The HP I am getting was originally purchased in June 2014. I doubt a Seaton could beat 2 Conquests but I don't think I have enough room for two of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page