AVS Forum banner

Official Epik Subwoofer Thread

2M views 21K replies 1K participants last post by  elmalloc 
#1 ·
Well guys....as the saying goes:

".... and so it begins! "

As some of you may already know, Ascendant Audio has been very quiet for many many months, and it's owner, Chad Kuypers, has been missing in action for a VERY long time. Some of you guys from the DIY world will remember Ascendant Audio from their driver offerings, such as the famous Avalanche XBL^2 drivers, as well as the the Havoc and a few others.

Well, the cat is out!!! (Sorry Chad....we the people can't keep our mouths shut when we discover a good thing...
) so THIS is why you have been missing in action, huh?

Epik Subwoofers is about to launch in the next few days apparently, and seems like they will have several offerings to start, which range from 4 different 15" ported alignment, to a flagship large 18" ported box. I'm sure there will be tons of info in the next few days, specially Pictures, price, measurement numbers, performance numbers, etc.

looks like the URL is up too, but nothing up yet: http://www.epiksubwoofers.com

Given the performance and price of Chad's past offerings, such as the avalanche, can only mean one thing: a great commercial subwoofer lineup at amazing prices.

Anyways, thought you guys might find this bit of news VERY interesting indeed. I hope Chad, Scott, and some of the other guys decide to chime in and show us more info.

It's a great time to be an A/V enthusiast indeed!!!

See less See more
#13,681 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/18940083

Thanks everyone. Chad has given me some info as well.

My denon xover setting works now. I just changed from 80 to 120 and got a different sound. More upper bass. So I set it back to 80 and made sure all speakers are set to small. So I'm glad I got one thing out of the way.

Next I'll try to move my bed and place the sub where I do most of my listening and see how it sounds around the room.

Would it be ok to run my velodyne cht-10 in the othr font corner at the same time as my empire? It sounds clean and goes to right at 30hz or a couple lower with a 10" 180watt rms amp.

You can, but you must remember that the Velodyne will then be the limiting factor in your system. If possible, you could try to use it near field (close to your listening position). That might help you get the most out of the CHT-10 and even out the performance differential between the two subs a bit. However, I wouldn't introduce the Velodyne into the system until you are happy with Empire's placement and tuning. Also, you might want to strongly consider selling the CHT-10 and putting that money toward a new receiver.

#13,685 ·
#13,686 ·
#13,687 ·
Hey guys, I've been lurking, this is my first post. I waited to post until getting my Empires, here's my thumbnail review. Guess what? It's a rave

Received my double Empires yesterday, and to cut right to the chase, have perfect bass for the first time in my long "career" as an avid audiophile. (I've been at this since 14, now 59!) Set-up went super fast, then after listening a bit and dialing in levels, last step was room EQ with the inexpensive and easy to use DSPeaker. (Bass signal comes from active 2-way Marchand XM-9 low level crossover, x-over at 85 Hz, 24/dB slopes, mono out to DSPeaker, then into Empire LFE inputs. Main speakers are 6" two-way "satellites" on stands).

Time spent from unpacking boxes to perfect bass maybe 2 hours. I don't use the word perfect lightly! Perfect bass is the long time elusive holy grail of audio (other dragons having been long since slayed). These woofies are super articulate and transparent all the way down to the floor. Something else that happened - adding transparent bass to the system made my main speakers sound considerably bigger, more open and transparent! Go figure, psychoacoustics I guess.

The Empires aren't quite as big as I thought they'd be, and work really well as end tables for the couch. Since I have carpet I have them feet up and I'm going to have 18x24 pieces of plate glass cut to make table tops. Empires will be particularly good for this because the opposing drivers cancels vibration!

Thank you guys for all the comments on this thread, it was instrumental in helping me make the decision. And in particular thanks Epik and Chad, and congrats on the break-through design.

Dave King

#13,688 ·
I've been lingering around this thread for awhile now, and since it is getting closer to Legend time, I was wondering if anyone had any input on Epik vs. Outlaw (I have an LFM-1 Plus). I'm interested in the sealed box, double woofer configuration, and while I know the Legend isn't out yet, I was wondering if anyone with an Empire might want to do some hypothetical extrapolation. I would be getting rid of the Outlaw and the Legend would be my only sub (until I could afford to potentially buy a second) in an approximately 20x30x10ft room playing about 75% movies, 25% music. I know it's conjecture at this point, but any info would be very much appreciated.

#13,689 ·
Does anyone know how long Epik is going to continue making the empire sub woofer in production? I am looking to buy dual empires sometime this fall or I might just consider getting dual legends not sure yet.

#13,690 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac30 /forum/post/18945036

Does anyone know how long Epik is going to continue making the empire sub woofer in production? I am looking to buy dual empires sometime this fall or I might just consider getting dual legends not sure yet.

Well, it seems to be their most successful design by quite a lot, so I don't think you have any worries. Some might joke about the discontinuation of previous lines, but I get the feeling that the Empire and Legend represent a longer term settling of the Epik brand.

#13,691 ·
I posted this on the Turbo thread:

The comparison between the Turbo and Empire is out of proportion. The Turbo is a hot rodded MFW-15 and was done so to improve on what was already built. The Empire was built as a “value” sub for the masses that wanted something that had excellent output with low distortion for a good price and the empire does just that. Now, I’m sure that Chad could come up with a amp for the Empire that would more than suck the brains out to the Turbo as well as the guy listening to it. In this regard and what the original intent was, the Empire wins hands down.

Chad, it is time to hot rod the Empire. Come up with a amp that we can add to the current Empire that will leave those that nitpick with their mouths open in shock and awe.

Bill

#13,692 ·
I agree with varoxin. Sure beats having to build 5-6 different models. I'm eager to pull the trigger on a second one. I haven't listened to my Tower since....late May.

If a hot rod version on the Empire is in the making...I'll wait. lol.

#13,693 ·
I've got a question or questions.

I am not sure what real proper bass should sound like. I am not sure of the differences between port and sealed.

I have only had ported subs so I'm used to it. Now I have the empire and I don't know if I like it in the same way.

I like bass that's deeper then I am getting from the empire. What I mean is the bass from my velodyne sounds like deeper. I'm not sure how to describe what I mean. Kind of like lower bass vs not as low. Or deeper vs not as deep. Or warmer bass vs not as warm. Or hotter bass vs not as hot. Or the empire has a more bright sound. I'm not sure if any of this makes sense. I'm not sure if I'm describing it right. I also wonder about clean bass and bass not as clean but still clean. I'm not sure if what I'm describing is sealed vs port. So I'm confused. Does anyone kind of understand at least what I'm trying to say?

#13,695 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/18945711

I am not sure what real proper bass should sound like. I am not sure of the differences between port and sealed.

I have only had ported subs so I'm used to it. Now I have the empire and I don't know if I like it in the same way.

I like bass that's deeper then I am getting from the empire. What I mean is the bass from my velodyne sounds like deeper. I'm not sure how to describe what I mean. Kind of like lower bass vs not as low. Or deeper vs not as deep. Or warmer bass vs not as warm. Or hotter bass vs not as hot. Or the empire has a more bright sound. I'm not sure if any of this makes sense. I'm not sure if I'm describing it right. I also wonder about clean bass and bass not as clean but still clean. I'm not sure if what I'm describing is sealed vs port. So I'm confused. Does anyone kind of understand at least what I'm trying to say?

Sell the Empire and get an SVS.

#13,698 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/18945507

I posted this on the Turbo thread:

The comparison between the Turbo and Empire is out of proportion. The Turbo is a hot rodded MFW-15 and was done so to improve on what was already built. The Empire was built as a “value” sub for the masses that wanted something that had excellent output with low distortion for a good price and the empire does just that. Now, I’m sure that Chad could come up with a amp for the Empire that would more than suck the brains out to the Turbo as well as the guy listening to it. In this regard and what the original intent was, the Empire wins hands down.

Chad, it is time to hot rod the Empire. Come up with a amp that we can add to the current Empire that will leave those that nitpick with their mouths open in shock and awe.

Bill

Chad won't "come up" with an amp for the Empire, because sometime in the next year he'll dump the Empire and move on to a new sub, just like he has with every other successful sub he's built.

You should know this, you owned a Conquest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18945789

No joke if someone just wants deep bass for a reasonable price I would go with the eD a5-350 but the empire should have better sq overall

I'd take a hard look at the TCA CS-18.2 for $1275 and a one meter 25-80 Hz average of 126 dB, 10Hz @ 100dB!

#13,699 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/18945806

I'm not sure if what I'm talking about is deep vs not as deep. I only am guessing how to describe the sound or guessing as to what to call what I'm talking about.

Does anyone kind of get what I'm trying to describe?

I do get what you are saying. If you search this thread you will see I use to say the same thing (but opposite) about my epik Dynasty. It had a very deep "voice" as I called it. Every note had a heavier or deeper feel and it was not right for my taste. You are describing the opposite I would assume. It has a higher voice in your opinion. that might just be the way it is placed and set up right now or it could be the room or the old subwoofer was just voiced different. Many people will say this can't occur because there is no scientific reason that it can but I have experienced something in the same realm.

#13,700 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/18945711

One thing people often have to get used to is a dramatic decrease in distortion. This is sometimes mistaken for greater output in a given range when, in fact, it's inaccurate output. People are pleased by distortion all the time. There's tube equipment that people love, but measures poorly. It's why our enjoyment of all this stuff is largely subjective. However, the Empire does have the ability to deliver a powerful low end. The culprit here is likely your previous experience combined with a less than ideal configuration; no EQ, placement, etc. My $.02, at least.