Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 685 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
post #20521 of 20549 Old 05-22-2015, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Official Epik Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTom83 View Post
Is a dead empire worth anything to anyone?
It's probably just a dead plate amp like everyone else. Your better off buying a Behringer iNuke amplifier and following my directions above. The cost of the Empire + Behringer is still better than the competition. (Your only $250 away from it working again).

Knowing what I know now, I would have paid the same price for the subwoofers without a built in amplifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20522 of 20549 Old 05-23-2015, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
It's probably just a dead plate amp like everyone else. Your better off buying a Behringer iNuke amplifier and following my directions above. The cost of the Empire + Behringer is still better than the competition. (Your only $250 away from it working again).

Knowing what I know now, I would have paid the same price for the subwoofers without a built in amplifier.

Thanks, I am aware the amp is dead. I just don't want to bother with using an external amp. I am looking to see if it is worth selling this thing with a dead amp or not. I plan on buying a pair of HSU Research VTF15HMk2's. I was trying to get others opinions if I would be able to sell it or not with a dead amp and if so what is a fair price to sell it?
post #20523 of 20549 Old 05-23-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
I think it's like any sub that size, just a limited number of takers within a particular geographic area at a given time, especially one who would have to do what you don't want to do....as far as price I'd pay maybe $200 for something like that but you'd have to be pretty close. What area are you in? How about a friend who has the space and no sub to get them started?
post #20524 of 20549 Old 05-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
what is a fair price to sell it?
I agree. $200-250 would be a great deal to the right buyer, but it may take a while to find him. I'd just advertise here and on craigslist. Someone will eventually buy it, heck, I found a buyer for my plate amps. I have 2 Empires running on my iNuke 6000 and they are phenomenal. I don't think I'll sell them until I move and build a dedicated theater with DIY 18" subs and speakers behind the screen...even then, they might end up somewhere else. I really like them and I really really like the enclosure materials. Such a great design.

Quote:
I plan on buying a pair of HSU Research VTF15HMk2's.
Also, looks like SVS is having a sale this weekend, Dunno if you were considering them...I haven't looked at subs since buying my Empires.

If I were you, I'd buy a iNuke 6000 and shop for another Empire. Those VTF15HMk2's look nice though.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 05-23-2015 at 07:16 PM.
post #20525 of 20549 Old 05-31-2015, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Owners Manual

Hi, looking for owner's manual for Epik Subwoofer, actually just a copy is all I need. Just not sure which model I purchased several years ago! Single 15" driver with single large port on front of fairly large cabinet. (18" W , 26" High, 26" deep) Lost item in move and unit has been on hiatus for maybe 8 or more years. If you recognize this unit or have the manual, I'd be happy to send you $10 for a copy.

Thanks, Bill

"Tis better to be thought of as stupid than to speak up and remove all doubt"
post #20526 of 20549 Old 05-31-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, the Empire didn't come with a manual....didn't know Chad put out manuals....

Ps You don't have an Empire....maybe the Conquest? Scroll thru the thread pics...

Last edited by lovinthehd; 05-31-2015 at 06:08 PM.
post #20527 of 20549 Old 06-01-2015, 10:02 AM

Well I finally found the picture of my sub - it's a Castle. So Epik never sent out any information or user manuals with their subs? That would certainly explain why I don't have one! Anybody have some info on my model? Thanks in advance.

post #20528 of 20549 Old 06-01-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cats View Post
Well I finally found the picture of my sub - it's a Castle. So Epik never sent out any information or user manuals with their subs? That would certainly explain why I don't have one! Anybody have some info on my model? Thanks in advance.
What info are you looking for?
post #20529 of 20549 Old 06-01-2015, 11:17 AM

General intructions. In the LFE setting, crossover is removed from signal pass and adj dial is inop? Proper use of phase control. How many watts is the amp? Do I pass the AC through my power conditioner or go straight out of the wall? etc.....thanks for assisting me.

post #20530 of 20549 Old 06-02-2015, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldlewis View Post
My Epik plate amp is dead, so I'm considering a Behringer iNuke 3000DSP or some other external amp. Several folks here seem to be doing this. Can someone explain how I would convert the RCA subwoofer out connection on my Onkyo Receiver to the 1/4 inch phone input into the amp? Also, are you running the amp bridged, or one side only goes into the Epik? And what DSP adjustments are you making on the iNuke? I've removed the plate amp and disconnected the speaker cable, so I'm good with running those to the amp speaker cable connections, just need help with the rest. Thanks for your help.
Consider a wireless sub (bluetooth) link like the Rocketfish.
post #20531 of 20549 Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cats View Post
General intructions. In the LFE setting, crossover is removed from signal pass and adj dial is inop? Proper use of phase control. How many watts is the amp? Do I pass the AC through my power conditioner or go straight out of the wall? etc.....thanks for assisting me.
Hopefully someone with a Castle can confirm but if that used a similar plate amp to the Empire, the LFE input does bypass the lpf/crossover if you're using the avr for that (but you could simply turn it to max to be sure), proper use of phase control is simply trying both positions and seeing which gives you better bass but that will depend on your setup. Can't tell you specifics on the amp at all, supposedly the Empire amp originally was 600W, later replacement versions 500W. I don't use a power conditioner, don't see the need/purpose of one, some have been known to throttle amps if that's what you're thinking so maybe if you post up what unit you have over in one of the power conditioner threads you can get some info.
post #20532 of 20549 Old 06-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Thanks for your help. I'll make a go of it with that info. Awaiting all new gear to match up with my sub. Later.

post #20533 of 20549 Old 06-04-2015, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I agree. $200-250 would be a great deal to the right buyer, but it may take a while to find him. I'd just advertise here and on craigslist. Someone will eventually buy it, heck, I found a buyer for my plate amps. I have 2 Empires running on my iNuke 6000 and they are phenomenal. I don't think I'll sell them until I move and build a dedicated theater with DIY 18" subs and speakers behind the screen...even then, they might end up somewhere else. I really like them and I really really like the enclosure materials. Such a great design.

Also, looks like SVS is having a sale this weekend, Dunno if you were considering them...I haven't looked at subs since buying my Empires.

If I were you, I'd buy a iNuke 6000 and shop for another Empire. Those VTF15HMk2's look nice though.
Looks like the plan has changed. Found out since last posting my wife is 13 weeks pregnant with our first child. All large purchases have been put on hold. Ha. So... If i were to buy an inuke one would assume an inuke1000dsp should be plenty? or do i need to spend the extra 80 bucks on an inuke3000dsp? Also how noisy are the fans? i currently have a antec av cooler sitting on top of my Pioneer Elite SC-37 that i barely notice when everything is turned off, comparable?
post #20534 of 20549 Old 06-05-2015, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looks like the plan has changed. Found out since last posting my wife is 13 weeks pregnant with our first child. All large purchases have been put on hold. Ha. So... If i were to buy an inuke one would assume an inuke1000dsp should be plenty? or do i need to spend the extra 80 bucks on an inuke3000dsp? Also how noisy are the fans? i currently have a antec av cooler sitting on top of my Pioneer Elite SC-37 that i barely notice when everything is turned off, comparable?
Congrats on the kiddo! Pile up that cheddar and take care of Mama!

The iNuke fans are noisy. I wouldn't advise putting it in your theater room. (I have a rack in another room with all my theater gear).

The 1000 should be fine, much more power than the stock amp either way.

There are threads where people have replaced the fans with quieter ones with much success.

You can always buy a similar sized plate amp from Parts Express, but an actual amp is a better long term solution.
post #20535 of 20549 Old 06-28-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Hey guys would it be smart to buy a use Epik sub/s at this point in time?

I read here as a bad amp from the comments he can replace the actual amp plate?

What went wrong with this company, I was surprise this company went under in such short time.. Well not really important, just talking out loud.

Thanks

Djoel

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears SSP: XMC-1 Amplification: XPA-5 G2 Display: Samsung PN64D7000 Source: Oppo 105D, HTPC 16TB Jriver 20, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 2 Power:Panamax M5300-PM
post #20536 of 20549 Old 06-28-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 95
The epik empire have the amp issue. I don't think older subs have an issue. My conquest is still going strong.
post #20537 of 20549 Old 06-28-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post
The epik empire have the amp issue. I don't think older subs have an issue. My conquest is still going strong.
Actually the Legend had more amp issues than the Empire. My Empire is still plugging along with daily use, although I did have an amp failure and was replaced by Epik while they were still in business.
@Djoel If the amp fails there are plate amp solutions but believe the boxes need modding a bit, been a while since I've reviewed, though. External amp with dsp probably just as cost effective and more useful (but would require a place in the rack and fans may need modding if noise is an issue). Epik would probably be around still had they sourced reliable amps.
Djoel likes this.
post #20538 of 20549 Old 06-30-2015, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post
My Valor is still going strong too. Never had an issue with it and still love it!

~kyle
post #20539 of 20549 Old 07-29-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Epik Phoenix repair?

So my Epik Phoenix subwoofer died the other day. Just will not power on. I've had it for about 5 years and wondering if it's worth saving. Are there any amps that work with this or is there an easy way to check the fuse? I tried another power cable with no luck. Bummed as I remember spending about $1200 for this thing. Thanks.
post #20540 of 20549 Old 07-29-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
So my Epik Phoenix subwoofer died the other day. Just will not power on. I've had it for about 5 years and wondering if it's worth saving. Are there any amps that work with this or is there an easy way to check the fuse? I tried another power cable with no luck. Bummed as I remember spending about $1200 for this thing. Thanks.
Lots of amps will work, but if you want a matching plate amp that might be more difficult. Unlikely the driver is bad. I'd look at an external amp personally, something like a Behringer 3000DSP or 6000DSP. If there's not a fuse obvious on the outside of the amp you might take it off and check inside as well but not familiar with your particular model, don't believe my Empire amp has an internal fuse but it doesn't have an external one....
post #20541 of 20549 Old 07-29-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Lots of amps will work, but if you want a matching plate amp that might be more difficult. Unlikely the driver is bad. I'd look at an external amp personally, something like a Behringer 3000DSP or 6000DSP. If there's not a fuse obvious on the outside of the amp you might take it off and check inside as well but not familiar with your particular model, don't believe my Empire amp has an internal fuse but it doesn't have an external one....

Ok I was going to take it in to a local electronics repair store. Once they most likely verify it's the amp, how hard is it to use the external amp with it?
post #20542 of 20549 Old 07-29-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ok I was going to take it in to a local electronics repair store. Once they most likely verify it's the amp, how hard is it to use the external amp with it?
They may be able to repair the amp, too. External amp is as easy as running speaker wire from amp to driver, how you do that can vary.
post #20543 of 20549 Old 08-12-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
They may be able to repair the amp, too. External amp is as easy as running speaker wire from amp to driver, how you do that can vary.
Thanks. I think the Behringer NU3000DSP is the way I will go, but how is fan noise? This is in the media room and only used for movies. I'm just wondering if buying a new subwoofer for around $400 is a better option if there's a decent one at that range.
post #20544 of 20549 Old 08-12-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks. I think the Behringer NU3000DSP is the way I will go, but how is fan noise? This is in the media room and only used for movies. I'm just wondering if buying a new subwoofer for around $400 is a better option if there's a decent one at that range.
They are fairly noisy from what I understand but there are many who have modded them, should be easy to find such threads in the diy subforum. If the fan noise is an issue and you don't need dsp (the Empire had a low end boost in the stock amp, don't know about the Phoenix) the Crown XLS gen 1 amps are on sale making way for gen 2 and I can confirm they run very quietly (I have three XLS1500s). You could use a miniDSP in conjunction with the XLS if needed (if Phoenix is ported you should use dsp).
post #20545 of 20549 Old 08-20-2015, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Think I'm another on the way to a Behringer replacement amp for my Empire. It powers on and the light comes on. I think it is red, but not 100% sure (red/green colorblind issues). Amp warms up, but doesn't get hot (same as always).

I think I remember what it is supposed to do when powered on - Turn on red light, wait a few seconds, and then click and go to green. Is that correct? If so, I'm not getting the click, green light, or sound.

Ways to test? Amazon the place to get the Behringer?

Thanks all,
David
post #20546 of 20549 Old 08-20-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You having any particular amp issue, though? My light is off when unpowered, lit green when on (red in auto standby, but I don't use the auto position anymore, though, as I have it set to on full-time, and setup so it powers up/down with a smart power strip when the avr turns on/off....).
post #20547 of 20549 Old 08-20-2015, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
You having any particular amp issue, though? My light is off when unpowered, lit green when on (red in auto standby, but I don't use the auto position anymore, though, as I have it set to on full-time, and setup so it powers up/down with a smart power strip when the avr turns on/off....).
Well, lack of sound. It stays red even though I've got it set to On vs. Auto. I've also tried switching it over and back a few times. Still just a red light and no sound.
post #20548 of 20549 Old 08-20-2015, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMP View Post
Well, lack of sound. It stays red even though I've got it set to On vs. Auto. I've also tried switching it over and back a few times. Still just a red light and no sound.
Gotcha, thought you were talking about a relay sound or something since you seemed more concerned about the light color, sorry. Sounds like the amp is done alright. You can test the driver....but the test for the amp in that it produces no sound whether set to auto or on should be sufficient. You might want to take the amp off and inspect to see if its something simple like an obviously blown cap or loose wire, etc
post #20549 of 20549 Unread Today, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pair of working Conquests in the classifieds..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page