Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 690 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

Old 01-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Could use some advice. I'm wanting to upgrade from 7.1 to 7.2. I have an Epik Knight. What would be a good sub to mate with this Knight?
I'd prefer another Knight, but can't seem to find any used ones out there and honestly, with all the failing amps out there, I'm not sure it would be wise now. I'm not too versed on subwoofers, so please forgive me. They will both be placed front sound stage behind an AT screen wall.
Thanks for the help.
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3973 Post(s)
Liked: 3880
@SeanCJ Can you confirm details for the Knight? IIRC it is a ported 15"? What amp? How big a cabinet/what tune? At a guess the V15 or V1500 from PSA or the Echo 15 from Reaction Audio would be in the ballpark.....or go DIY.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'tune'.
Here's the specs I could pull up:
Knight specs:
* Enclosure dimensions: 26H x 18W x 26D inches (27D with grill)
* Port: Patented 6 inch flared design
* Driver: Custom 15 inch high excursion design
* Amplifier: Custom 350 watt RMS BASH amplifier
* Cabinet: Triple-internally braced, dual thickness baffle super-refined MDF
Hope this helps.
Thanks again for the suggestions. Forgot to mention, I'm on a tight budget and would definitely consider good condition used.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCJ View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'tune'.
Here's the specs I could pull up:
Knight specs:
* Enclosure dimensions: 26H x 18W x 26D inches (27D with grill)
* Port: Patented 6 inch flared design
* Driver: Custom 15 inch high excursion design
* Amplifier: Custom 350 watt RMS BASH amplifier
* Cabinet: Triple-internally braced, dual thickness baffle super-refined MDF
Hope this helps.
Thanks again for the suggestions. Forgot to mention, I'm on a tight budget and would definitely consider good condition used.
Subwoofer tune is a design aspect for ported/vented designs based on driver parameters, volume and port/vent size. I think I've read the Epik ported 15" subs were tuned somewhere around 20Hz, just wondered if you had the spec.

Define tight budget. Cost effective you might think of an AIY sub like one of these with one of these powered by something like this plus some misc parts and time and your own finish...or not on the finish since you're putting them behind an AT screen.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMP View Post
Since I cut a board to fit where the Amp had been, I used an actual wall plate. Worked nicely and looks good. But since no one can see it, probably more trouble than worth.

See my post #20624 for additional detail.
How did you attach the filler board to your sub? Did you just overlap and screw it into place, or get more fancy trying to make it flush?

Edit: nevermind, I see the picture you posted at the end of the last page now. Sorry, I hadn't gotten there yet. Looks good!

Last edited by Dre325; 01-08-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre325 View Post
SPA-500 is 273w RMS at 8ohms, SPA-1000 is 497w for $80 bucks more. Original Legend amp is 300W RMS. Has anyone used either of these (or a different amp?) with a Legend that can comment on performance?? I hate to drop money into this sub, but it's cheaper than something new...
I haven't found many references for replacement plate amps on my Legend, but have found a few options (original is 300W with a 6 to 9db boost at 22Hz): Bash 300 or 500, Dayton SPA-500, and Yung SD500-6 or SD300-6 with 6db boost. Obviously the Bash 500, Dayton SPA-500, and Yung SD500 are 500W amps and are more expensive, but I'm not sure the extra cost of around $100 is worth it for more power. Any thoughts? Has anyone had success with either the Bash 300 or Yung SD300-6 with their failed Legend? Both seem to have good reviews (one Amazon review of the Yung is a Legend owner!)

I've considered a pro amp as well and may be able to wire one into my system, but it's not as ideal as just replacing the plate amp.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:25 PM

Thank you for all this help. I'll look into the below components. I think it could be fun building my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Subwoofer tune is a design aspect for ported/vented designs based on driver parameters, volume and port/vent size. I think I've read the Epik ported 15" subs were tuned somewhere around 20Hz, just wondered if you had the spec.

Define tight budget. Cost effective you might think of an AIY sub like one of these with one of these powered by something like this plus some misc parts and time and your own finish...or not on the finish since you're putting them behind an AT screen.
lovinthehd likes this.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCJ View Post
Thank you for all this help. I'll look into the below components. I think it could be fun building my own.
If you're going the DIY route, you may be interested in my thread, where I re-built my Epik Valor (same sub driver as Knight) into a Knight/Caliber hybrid with increased power.

Epik 15" DIY Slot Ported Subwoofer

Steve
Old 01-13-2016, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I haven't found many references for replacement plate amps on my Legend, but have found a few options (original is 300W with a 6 to 9db boost at 22Hz): Bash 300 or 500, Dayton SPA-500, and Yung SD500-6 or SD300-6 with 6db boost. Obviously the Bash 500, Dayton SPA-500, and Yung SD500 are 500W amps and are more expensive, but I'm not sure the extra cost of around $100 is worth it for more power. Any thoughts? Has anyone had success with either the Bash 300 or Yung SD300-6 with their failed Legend? Both seem to have good reviews (one Amazon review of the Yung is a Legend owner!)

I've considered a pro amp as well and may be able to wire one into my system, but it's not as ideal as just replacing the plate amp.
I think I put a bash 300 in mine. Had to widen the hole a bit for the amp to fit, nothing too drastic. The sub has been working just fine for over a year. There is some significant roll off below 30hz though. I just ordered a couple of rythmik L22's so we'll see if it's a room placement issue or something wrong with the sub. I've tried moving the epik around with no improvement. I can't really move my listening seat but it is about a 1/3 of the room length from the back wall.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegator81 View Post
I think I put a bash 300 in mine. Had to widen the hole a bit for the amp to fit, nothing too drastic. The sub has been working just fine for over a year. There is some significant roll off below 30hz though. I just ordered a couple of rythmik L22's so we'll see if it's a room placement issue or something wrong with the sub. I've tried moving the epik around with no improvement. I can't really move my listening seat but it is about a 1/3 of the room length from the back wall.
Did you notice the same problem with the stock amp? Looks like you have to solder resistors on the PC board to achieve bass boost with that amp so I'm not sure that's something I want to deal with the achieve the low 20's boost that the stock Legend amp has.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Did you notice the same problem with the stock amp? Looks like you have to solder resistors on the PC board to achieve bass boost with that amp so I'm not sure that's something I want to deal with the achieve the low 20's boost that the stock Legend amp has.
I can't say for sure, I never really measured it and when I had the original amp it was in an enclosed room at my old house. It's in a large open area now.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegator81 View Post
I can't say for sure, I never really measured it and when I had the original amp it was in an enclosed room at my old house. It's in a large open area now.
Haha, that's the exact same situation I'm in as well. I've moved since my Legend has worked--been a while! Hopefully I'm not disappointed once I get it running again, but I can always toss it in another smaller room if I have to upgrade :-).
Old 01-21-2016, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to connect 2 Epik Legend Subs tp Beringer iNuke 6000dsp to

Hi everyone, I'm new here so please forgive my ignorance.

I am considering buying a Behringer NU-6000dsp amp to power 2 Epik Legend subs; the plate amps have gone in both. After looking through this amazing forum, I have decided to go for the Behringer. Dreamliner has got some great images and information of the items one would need to purchase in order to do this. Unfortunately, I am a complete newby when it comes to doing anything like this, so I was wondering if Dreamliner or anyone else had some more detailed instructions on how to carry out this conversion?

I have a Pioneer avr (SC-57) that has 2 sub outputs, which is why I am considering the NU-6000.

I would really apreciate any help you may be able to offer.

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly1819 View Post

I am considering buying a Behringer NU-6000dsp amp to power 2 Epik Legend subs; the plate amps have gone in both. After looking through this amazing forum, I have decided to go for the Behringer. Dreamliner has got some great images and information of the items one would need to purchase in order to do this. Unfortunately, I am a complete newby when it comes to doing anything like this, so I was wondering if Dreamliner or anyone else had some more detailed instructions on how to carry out this conversion?

I have a Pioneer avr (SC-57) that has 2 sub outputs, which is why I am considering the NU-6000.

Thank you in advance.
The two sub pre-outs don't matter. You can take an avr with a single sub pre-out and use a splitter if you need to. One sub pre-out connection to this amp can yield output on both channels if you set the amp up accordingly. It's pretty simple to use the amp, you merely substitute the connection between the plate amp and the drivers with your external amp and the drivers. Are you leaving the plate amp in place for sealing? Drilling into the plate amp or?

You do realize the Behringer is a bit noisy with its fans? Planning to do a fan mod or is the amp out of earshot to begin with? FWIW the iNuke 3000dsp would also work well, but the little additional cost on the 6000dsp would be worth it and then you're ready for your entry to the world of DIY subs later
Old 01-29-2016, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Yet another Epik Legend with a dead amp. I've read most of this thread and am grateful to all who've contributed.

What do you think about using a Behringer NU1000DSP iNuke Power Amplifier for the Legend? The power specs (Delivers 2 x 500 Watts into 2 Ohms; 2 x 300 Watts into 4 Ohms; 1000 Watts into 4 Ohms (bridge mode) confuse me, since I don't know the ohm rating of the Legend?

Will the Behringer's DSP allow me to add the 6-9 db boost at 22 Hz that I read the original Legend amp provided?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:24 PM

Yet another Epik Legend with a dead amp. I've read most of this thread and am grateful to all who've contributed.

What do you think about using a Behringer NU1000DSP iNuke Power Amplifier for the Legend? The power specs (Delivers 2 x 500 Watts into 2 Ohms; 2 x 300 Watts into 4 Ohms; 1000 Watts into 4 Ohms (bridge mode) confuse me, since I don't know the ohm rating of the Legend?

Will the Behringer's DSP allow me to add the 6-9 db boost at 22 Hz that I read the original Legend amp provided?
Old 01-29-2016, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by carly1819 View Post

Thank you in advance.
You probably have seen it, but this post from me tells you everything you have to do. It is pretty straight forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westfordjoe View Post

Yes, the DSP will give you the bump. The NU1000DSP is probably fine, but these iNukes are so cheap you might want to go bigger just to have room to grow....For $80 more you triple your available power. Look at my link above to make sure you get all the parts you need.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 01-29-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:57 PM

Yes, the DSP will give you the bump. The NU1000DSP is probably fine, but these iNukes are so cheap you might want to go bigger just to have room to grow....For $80 more you triple your available power. Look at my link above to make sure you get all the parts you need.[/quote]

Thank you, Dreamliner.

Does anyone know of a good and quiet replacement fan for the BEHRINGER iNUKE NU3000DSP? How difficult is it to replace the fan?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2016, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Yes, the DSP will give you the bump. The NU1000DSP is probably fine, but these iNukes are so cheap you might want to go bigger just to have room to grow....For $80 more you triple your available power. Look at my link above to make sure you get all the parts you need.

Thank you, Dreamliner.

Does anyone know of a good and quiet replacement fan for the BEHRINGER iNUKE NU3000DSP? How difficult is it to replace the fan?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I've seen a few videos on YouTube on how to make these amps quiet,looks very easy to do,and cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
Thank you, Dreamliner.

Thanks!

Might want to search in the DIY subforum, many there have modified the iNuke fans.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
You probably have seen it, but this post from me tells you everything you have to do. It is pretty straight forward.

I ordered an NU3000DSP to replace my dead Legend amp.

Since the Legend has two drivers, and the iNuke has two outputs, is there any reason not to connect one of the drivers to iNuke output channel A and the other to channel B?

Joe
Old 01-31-2016, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I ordered an NU3000DSP to replace my dead Legend amp.

Since the Legend has two drivers, and the iNuke has two outputs, is there any reason not to connect one of the drivers to iNuke output channel A and the other to channel B?

Joe
I wouldn't. The two drivers are wired together inside the box and the Legend will have just one speaker lead going to that plate amp. I'd just cut the amp off and extend the speaker wire to the iNuke. I'd either bridge both amp channels to the one speaker wire or just have a spare channel on the amp
Spoiler!

Last edited by Dreamliner; 01-31-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't. The two drivers are wired together inside the box and the Legend will have just one speaker lead going to that plate amp. I'd just cut the amp off and extend the speaker wire to the iNuke. I'd either bridge both amp channels to the one speaker wire or just have a spare channel on the amp
Spoiler!
Great idea! Only, this is all for the AV system in my bedroom. I suppose I could mount some Buttkickers beneath the mattress, but I digress. Thanks for all your advice!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Great idea! Only, this is all for the AV system in my bedroom. I suppose I could mount some Buttkickers beneath the mattress, but I digress. Thanks for all your advice!
And...the Craigslist e-mail alert for a second Legend with a busted amp is set up.
Dreamliner likes this.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I've been using the bash 300 for 2 years now with no problems. I initially left it outboard after making a wood stand for it but dropped it in after widening the hole. As it is the hole is too small for the bash so if that is your plan realize that it will need some alterations
Old 02-02-2016, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I replaced mine with a Bash 500 and changed a resistor to add the boost. It,s been a year or so and works just fine. You do have to enlarge the opening however no big deal Good luck
Old 02-07-2016, 11:57 AM

Still sitting on my dead Empire. I was originally planning on dumping it on craigslist for ~$100 but after reading the positive experiences with replacing the dead amp with a plate amp I'm having second thoughts. Couple questions...

Should I go for the Bash 500S or the Dayton Audio SPA1000? What would be the drawbacks of the cheaper Bash?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Official Epik Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ0230 View Post
Still sitting on my dead Empire. I was originally planning on dumping it on craigslist for ~$100 but after reading the positive experiences with replacing the dead amp with a plate amp I'm having second thoughts. Couple questions...

Should I go for the Bash 500S or the Dayton Audio SPA1000? What would be the drawbacks of the cheaper Bash?
Replacing the amp to your Empire will give you way more value then selling it and dumping hundreds more into another new sub.

I don't know anything about the plate amps (other than 'more is better'), hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Replacing the amp to your Empire will give you way more value then selling it and dumping hundreds more into another new sub.

I don't know anything about the plate amps (other than 'more is better'), hopefully someone else will chime in.
My biggest concern is dealing with a dead sub again within the year for some unforeseen reason. I was very close to calling it quits after driving the sub 400 miles to talk to Chad in person (I was already making the trip to visit family in the area) and seeing some foreclosure sign on his shop door. I don't want to go through those headaches again.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ0230 View Post
My biggest concern is dealing with a dead sub again within the year for some unforeseen reason. I was very close to calling it quits after driving the sub 400 miles to talk to Chad in person (I was already making the trip to visit family in the area) and seeing some foreclosure sign on his shop door. I don't want to go through those headaches again.
After you do research you'll discover that you will probably never buy a subwoofer/enclosure/amplifier package again. I bought my amplifier because if I ever replace the Empires, it will be with passive subwoofers. Probably the Dayton Ultimax package from Parts Express. So at the very least, the amplifier is something I'd need anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer
taboola here