post #2821 of 20368 Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

anyone ordered their Castle or Tower with Rosenut veneer? I'd like to see actual pics. The Tower with it looks really really nice. Might be worth the extra $199.

Chad said they won't be doing the Rosewood veneer anytime soon. I decided I didn't want to wait.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 20368 Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post

In conclusion I would say that we are very happy with the Caliber and I can feel it in our chest in the kitchen which is approximately 20 feet away.We have a lot of tinkering to do with it. If anyone lives in the Phoenix,AZ area or nearby that has the tools to calibrate this great sub that maybe could come by and help us with this I would make it worth your while.
I hope this helps people and again this a layman's impression that doesn't know all the lingo or how to explain it in technical terms .

Rob,

I couple of things to try/think about:

The surrounds Chad uses on his drivers are really heavy duty and stiff, they will take some break in before you start to get excursion, which gives you that hit in the chest feeling.

Using audessey sets the levels of the output to the sub on the receiver, so if you change the gain level on the sub, you need to re-run it for it to be accurate. Also your mic placement in relation to the sub can cause problems if the mic is in a hot spot vs. a dead one. I'd get it set up to how you want to hear it and then run the calibration.

I think you are right on with you suspicions on placement, especially if you feel it in the kitched vs. where you are sitting. When I heard the caliber the thunder and shotgun blasts in Ratatouie were downright scary.

Harrison
post #2823 of 20368 Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcw3 View Post

Rob,

I couple of things to try/think about:

The surrounds Chad uses on his drivers are really heavy duty and stiff, they will take some break in before you start to get excursion, which gives you that hit in the chest feeling.

Using audessey sets the levels of the output to the sub on the receiver, so if you change the gain level on the sub, you need to re-run it for it to be accurate. Also your mic placement in relation to the sub can cause problems if the mic is in a hot spot vs. a dead one. I'd get it set up to how you want to hear it and then run the calibration.

I think you are right on with you suspicions on placement, especially if you feel it in the kitched vs. where you are sitting. When I heard the caliber the thunder and shotgun blasts in Ratatouie were downright scary.

Harrison

Harrison thanks for the info. I figured as much. So many people talk about that seen and didn't come off that way. If it sounds like this now,can't wait till it breaks in and get it set up right.
On an off note, I can only imagine what the Caliber will sound like matched up with Monitor Audio GS10's we are saving up for
I just hope someone nearby can help calibrate this thing(using REW I think what it's called).
post #2824 of 20368 Old 04-30-2008, 08:38 PM

"On an off note, I can only imagine what the Caliber will sound like matched up with Monitor Audio GS10's we are saving up for "

Well I can tell you the Castle sounds damn fine with the GS20s.

Speaking of Castles, I picked mine up today.
As I drove to Epik I was thinking how silly I am for spending a grand on a new subwoofer while I have a perfectly good M&K MX100, dual 12" drivers, 200 wpc that does a pretty good job shaking my home theater.

When I walked in Epik's front door and saw my boxed up sub I thought this thing is HUGE!

When I got home and tried to move the Castle into the house I thought Oh my God this thing is heavy. Good thing I still have the Radio Flyer wagon in the garage.

Once in the house it was easy sliding it to the basement staircase. Used most of my 200 pounds to control the slide down the carpeted basement stairs. Another 20 feet to the home theater. Unpacked and made a note of the heavy duty, thick cardboard box and firm protective plastifoam or whatever it is they use to protect the sub. Also noticed their is no manual and no spiked feet. At first I was bummed about the lack of spikes but not having them sure makes locating it easier and now I'm glad they arent needed! Also noted that the black finish was nicer than I expected.

Unplugged the MX100, hooked up the Castle. Fired up the trusty Radio Shack SPL meter. Tweeked it to 74db.
Listened first to a couple scenes from I Robot.
Powerful but a little boomy. Pushed it a little farther out from the corner, then a little more.
Next, War of the Worlds. Holy ****! See yah later M&K. $1000.00 WELL SPENT. I could feel the air moving around me and the ground shaking beneath. The depth of the sound of the machine "dusting" people is indescribable.
Shotgun blasts on Ratatouille - Amazing.
Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms, "The Mans Too Strong" has a very strong bass note created by, I dont know what, but the old M&K just coudnt handle it. Just made it top out then bottom out. I always wondered what it was supposed to sound like. Now I know how it sounds and feels. Pretty cool to watch the excursion of the driver during this song.

This sub has exceeded my expectations.
Worth the 8 week wait and 1000 Washingtons.
John
post #2825 of 20368 Old 04-30-2008, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

LAYMAN'S REVIEW OF THE CALIBER:

Ok I'm kinda of a newbie to this and don't know the correct lingo,so bear with me. The Caliber came packed with sturdy approx 1 1/2" styrofoam on the top,bottom and down the corners of the box. not sure that is the best packaging because if the box is punctured it would easily get to the sub including the woofer. I will say the box was in good shape with no sign of damage and the outside was marked with a sticker stating "fragile" "fragile electronic equipment". The Caliber was in flawless condition .
Pulling it out, first thing I noticed was "it was huge! ) but was nice! I placed it in the northwest corner of the living room. The living room area is approximately 21' x 23' open room into the kitchen. The kitchen has an island which is toward the back southeast portion of the room. there is a small open hallway that leads to the front door. The tv and speakers are just south of the sub along the west wall.
ok enough with that I hooked up the Caliber via the LFE to my 3808's pre-out sub ouput. My understanding was by hooking it up this way I do not need to worry about the frequency knob? (Is this the best way to hook it up?)(I left it at the 12:00 position). The volume knob I placed at 9:00 and the phase switch at 0 degree.
I used the Audyssey system on the 3808 to set the levels. It set all four speakers to small and the sub to -3dbs.
I put in Transformers in HD DVD chapter 2. Well we was not impressed to say the least. I could not hear the Caliber at all. I turned the volume on the sub little by little till I got to about 1:00. Ok now we were talking. The low end was right there and it sounded great,at least from what I was use to(had a Pioneer S-W100). The only concern I had was In that chapter the Tranformer blows up the airplanes,I really don't hear that big of an impact as you would think. I'm not sure if you are suppose to or not but I would think there is.It just seemed to us that it was like it got cut out or missing(best way I can explain it).
I then tried the lighting strike scene on Ratatouille on SD DVD,again heard the impact but wasn't like i've heard people say they have heard. I had to get to under -10dbs to get it to sound like I thought it should be but then it got a little boomy.
Batman Returns on HD DVD, (man I love the TRUE HD) watched the fight scene in the beginning up in the mountains. that was great all the lows were there and when they jump out (or get blown out) of the building as it explodes, that rocked my living room .
I tried the Lord of The Rings(fellowship), I listened to the beginning and sounded great. I wanted to listen to the part where he cuts his hand off and the helmet falls to the ground since I heard everyone say that makes a big impact. Well again wasnt as good as I read. It wasnt that thump I was expecting.
Overall I am satisfied with the Caliber,I have a feeling that the culprit of this small problem is break-in,where the sub sits, and maybe the set-up and not the Caliber(if not I hope someone has another culprit?). To us the Caliber was what we were looking for. We don't hear the sub until it's needed and it goes very low. It did not stress out even when I went into single digit -dbs ( if I remember correctly, with LOTR's I went to -4db's). I was hoping it was a little more accurate(to us that means precise) but I think it's more to do with what I said above rather than the Caliber not being able to.
I will tell you it sounded better (to us anyway) to a 15" Earthquake sub we heard over the weekend. I don't remember the model number but to us it sounded very "boomy". We were there to listen to speakers(Monitor Audio GS10's set up and RS6's set up) that we are considering to upgrade to. We watched the same scene of the Transformers movie and the Earthquake was going almost the whole time(boomy to us) and it hit the lows but we didn't think it went as low as the Caliber. I will say a couple of Movies fell off the wall shelf but they were freestanding on that shelf. His set up was very very nice and the room was I would say about as big as our area but it was strictly a big living room and a two story home. His room was on carpet and ours is on tile but we have a big rug between our tv and our seating position. The sub is sitting on one of the 1 1/2" styrofoam from the packing box, on tile floor.

In conclusion I would say that we are very happy with the Caliber and I can feel it in our chest in the kitchen which is approximately 20 feet away.We have a lot of tinkering to do with it. If anyone lives in the Phoenix,AZ area or nearby that has the tools to calibrate this great sub that maybe could come by and help us with this I would make it worth your while.
I hope this helps people and again this a layman's impression that doesn't know all the lingo or how to explain it in technical terms .

Some thoughts...

--Make sure that the crossover in the sub itself is turned OFF, or if there is no OFF switch, turn the frequency knob all the way up. Otherwise, you are filtering out bass being sent by the receiver.

--Is your seating by any chance against or very near a wall? If so, that's one of the worst places to sit, when it comes to bass. It will be incredibly boomy and uneven.

--Boomy and inaccurate bass, from otherwise great subwoofers, comes from the room itself, as you know. The placement of the sub and listening position, along with room dimensions, determine how the sub sounds, how boomy or flat , etc. You can do a lot to tweak the placement of the sub, with music, test tones, the "crawl test," etc. If you have a setup disc and an SPL meter, even better. But to truly get the best sound out of your sub, you need room treatments, aka bass traps, and probably an eq. Bass traps will take the boomy echo out of the sound and let you hear the sub itself and all the detail and texture in the bass. And an eq will restore impact to all frequencies, rather than just the ones that are boosted by the room's dimensions, plus add more texture and detail to the sound. I'd rather have an $800 sub with $100 eq and $300 in bass traps, than a $1200 sub with nothing else. Because the former will sound many times better than the latter.
post #2826 of 20368 Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

cyberbri thanks for the info. no our seating position is right-center of the room.I was under the impression that if I hook up the Caliber using it's LFE input I didn't need to worry about the frequency knob? Whats the best way to hook it up(it also has left/right inputs)? Where can I buy a step up disc? How do you use it ? It wasnt really boomy,it just seem to miss like the middle bass(I don't know how to explain ). I was hoping to find someone local on here to help me out(would make it worht there while).

jmohler6 have you heard the GS10's? How would you say they compare to the GS20's? Our long term plan is the replace the GS10 fronts for GS20's and put the 10's for surround backs.
post #2827 of 20368 Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cyberbri thanks for the info. no our seating position is right-center of the room.I was under the impression that if I hook up the Caliber using it's LFE input I didn't need to worry about the frequency knob? Whats the best way to hook it up(it also has left/right inputs)? Where can I buy a step up disc? How do you use it ? It wasnt really boomy,it just seem to miss like the middle bass(I don't know how to explain ). I was hoping to find someone local on here to help me out(would make it worht there while).

jmohler6 have you heard the GS10's? How would you say they compare to the GS20's? Our long term plan is the replace the GS10 fronts for GS20's and put the 10's for surround backs.

Required reading for all bass junkies;
Setting Up Your Subwoofer 101

Download Test CD here;
http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm
or this one;
http://binkster.net/extras.shtml#cd
and lots of tones here;
http://www.realmofexcursion.com/

The problem with obsessions is that they are insatiable.
post #2828 of 20368 Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven View Post

Required reading for all bass junkies;
Setting Up Your Subwoofer 101

Download Test CD here;
http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm
or this one;
http://binkster.net/extras.shtml#cd
and lots of tones here;
http://www.realmofexcursion.com/

Vidmaven thanks for this info I'll look at it tomorrow
post #2829 of 20368 Old 05-03-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Where is "local"? Couldn't find your location.

And do you really mean that your seating position is the exact center of the room? Can you move it 1-2 feet back? The very center of the room often produces a lot of cancellation, so that may be what you are experiencing when you say bass is missing.

Aside from Vidmaven's advice, also look into getting a digital SPL meter from Radio Shack (about $40-50). I also suggest the Avia setup DVD for audio and video - a lot more user friendly, especially for people new to this. I'm not new to this and I still use it all the time.
post #2830 of 20368 Old 05-03-2008, 11:45 AM

Ok first of all the 8 weeks I waited for my "Knight" was well worth it!!!! I like others had to haul it to the theater room, unpacked and hooked it up. Got my mic out to tune it in. Job done. My 5 yr old says, put in Transformers and crank it up Dad, well ok. The Onkyo 805 was all warmed up, and slowly turned up the volume. BAM!!!! Me and my son about jumped out of our skin. LOL This is by far the best coin I have spent on a sub. For those of you still waiting, be patient it will blow you away, literally. Interceptor007
post #2831 of 20368 Old 05-03-2008, 12:09 PM

That's great to hear, Mr. Interceptor007.
My Knight is en route. I can't wait!
post #2832 of 20368 Old 05-03-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

-350 to order my Castle or -450 for the Tower

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #2833 of 20368 Old 05-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Got a Castle coming, too.

Plan to double up somewhere further down the line.
post #2834 of 20368 Old 05-03-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

-350 to order my Castle or -450 for the Tower

Interpretation, please.
post #2835 of 20368 Old 05-03-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

money needed to save to order either subs, Egnix.

post #2836 of 20368 Old 05-03-2008, 07:40 PM

Ah. That makes sense now.
post #2837 of 20368 Old 05-04-2008, 02:43 AM

Hi Epik,

still NO sales to Europe ?
post #2838 of 20368 Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

did a cardboard model of the Tower today. And untill you see it in 3D....this thing is really huge.

post #2839 of 20368 Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Liked: 11
I just did the same for the Valor; in my 1100 cubic foot space it is going to be huge
post #2840 of 20368 Old 05-05-2008, 02:48 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Pictures of your cardboard statues please!

(insert emoticon: THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITH OUT PICS)
post #2841 of 20368 Old 05-05-2008, 07:14 PM

Liked: 11
(insert emoticon: Pictures are worthless as they are 2D)

Go here:http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/

take down the dimensions of the speaker/speakers that interest you and have minutes of fun making your own 3D model. It's the only way you'll really appreciate the scale.
post #2842 of 20368 Old 05-05-2008, 07:54 PM

Hey guys,

I live all the way up in Canada, and the only subwoofer I have ever owned/heard has been a B&M $400 12" sub. It isn't even a well known brand (SoundStage), in fact I think it is this particular stores own in house brand that only they sell. The sub does well enough, but it can only reach down to 32hz and the entire sub only weighs about 30lbs.

I have been looking for a new sub and Epik has some great prices (even with a few hundred shipping to Canada).

Would a knight or Caliber completely destroy this sub? or do you have to get a Castle/Valor to really get that visceral punch and effortless sound.

Also, is there any Canadian Epik owners out there who may be able to shed light on the actual amount spent on shipping/customs/brokering?

Any advice would be great, thanks!
post #2843 of 20368 Old 05-06-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brammer654 View Post

Hey guys,

I live all the way up in Canada, and the only subwoofer I have ever owned/heard has been a B&M $400 12" sub. It isn't even a well known brand (SoundStage), in fact I think it is this particular stores own in house brand that only they sell. The sub does well enough, but it can only reach down to 32hz and the entire sub only weighs about 30lbs.

I have been looking for a new sub and Epik has some great prices (even with a few hundred shipping to Canada).

Would a knight or Caliber completely destroy this sub? or do you have to get a Castle/Valor to really get that visceral punch and effortless sound.

Also, is there any Canadian Epik owners out there who may be able to shed light on the actual amount spent on shipping/customs/brokering?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

You need to give more info about the size of your room before anyone can recommend what would work best for you.

And I think you mean Castle/Tower. The Valor is their 15" sealed sub.

post #2844 of 20368 Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven View Post

You need to give more info about the size of your room before anyone can recommend what would work best for you.

Agreed, but I do think we can quite confidently state that a Knight or Caliber will destroy his $400 12" B&M sub, though.
post #2845 of 20368 Old 05-06-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

Agreed, but I do think we can quite confidently state that a Knight or Caliber will destroy his $400 12" B&M sub, though.

Man, I'd love to see a video of that!
See the Knight whip out a sword and just shred the other sub to pieces...
post #2846 of 20368 Old 05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

I didn't even think that needed to be said.

post #2847 of 20368 Old 05-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Finally! I just got an email saying my order was going to ship!

I ordered a Caliber but later switched up to the Tower. I ordered on 3/28. Looks like it will arrive next Monday or Tuesday. I have a feeling that will be a "work from home" day.
post #2848 of 20368 Old 05-06-2008, 02:45 PM

Just an FYI: I got my tracking number last Wednesday, but my Knight didn't ship on until Friday. So, I wouldn't trust the expected delivery date until the tracking page shows that your sub has been picked up.

Anyway, tomorrow is my "work from home" day.
post #2849 of 20368 Old 05-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnix View Post

Just an FYI: I got my tracking number last Wednesday, but my Knight didn't ship on until Friday. So, I wouldn't trust the expected delivery date until the tracking page shows that your sub has been picked up.

Anyway, tomorrow is my "work from home" day.

Yeah I did notice that my tracking # was actually setup last week so my est. delivery date on FedEx was today haha! Hopefully my sub actually gets picked up by Thursday. Im hopeful since today is Tuesday. That should guarantee that I get it prior to the weekend after this one. Every weekend that goes by has been killing me. So many movies I have been holding off on!
post #2850 of 20368 Old 05-06-2008, 05:12 PM

Yes,
I just got notice my 2 towers shipped today! Have been waiting since 3-27 can't wait to set up and be blown away!!!!!!!!!! Replacing a Earthquake M IV.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page