AVS Forum banner

Official Epik Subwoofer Thread

2M views 21K replies 1K participants last post by  elmalloc 
#1 ·
Well guys....as the saying goes:

".... and so it begins! "

As some of you may already know, Ascendant Audio has been very quiet for many many months, and it's owner, Chad Kuypers, has been missing in action for a VERY long time. Some of you guys from the DIY world will remember Ascendant Audio from their driver offerings, such as the famous Avalanche XBL^2 drivers, as well as the the Havoc and a few others.

Well, the cat is out!!! (Sorry Chad....we the people can't keep our mouths shut when we discover a good thing...
) so THIS is why you have been missing in action, huh?

Epik Subwoofers is about to launch in the next few days apparently, and seems like they will have several offerings to start, which range from 4 different 15" ported alignment, to a flagship large 18" ported box. I'm sure there will be tons of info in the next few days, specially Pictures, price, measurement numbers, performance numbers, etc.

looks like the URL is up too, but nothing up yet: http://www.epiksubwoofers.com

Given the performance and price of Chad's past offerings, such as the avalanche, can only mean one thing: a great commercial subwoofer lineup at amazing prices.

Anyways, thought you guys might find this bit of news VERY interesting indeed. I hope Chad, Scott, and some of the other guys decide to chime in and show us more info.

It's a great time to be an A/V enthusiast indeed!!!

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo /forum/post/0

Well guys....as the saying goes:

".... and so it begins! "

As some of you may already know, Ascendant Audio has been very quiet for many many months, and it's owner, Chad Kuypers, has been missing in action for a VERY long time. Some of you guys from the DIY world will remember Ascendant Audio from their driver offerings, such as the famous Avalanche XBL^2 drivers, as well as the the Havoc and a few others.

Well, the cat is out!!! (Sorry Chad....we the people can't keep our mouths shut when we discover a good thing...
) so THIS is why you have been missing in action, huh?

Epik Subwoofers is about to launch in the next few days apparently, and seems like they will have several offerings to start, which range from 4 different 15" ported alignment, to a flagship large 18" ported box. I'm sure there will be tons of info in the next few days, specially Pictures, price, measurement numbers, performance numbers, etc.

looks like the URL is up too, but nothing up yet: http://www.epiksubwoofers.com

Given the performance and price of Chad's past offerings, such as the avalanche, can only mean one thing: a great commercial subwoofer lineup at amazing prices.

Anyways, thought you guys might find this bit of news VERY interesting indeed. I hope Chad, Scott, and some of the other guys decide to chime in and show us more info.

It's a great time to be an A/V enthusiast indeed!!!

I don't mean to be a jerk but I hope these guys know that they are going to need at least a veener option for their subs. I know ED hasn't learned that lesson yet. I mean we all love bass but a big ugly box isn't always the best option.

this should be interesting a lot of companies jumping into the sub market. I'm still wondering if TC sounds will ever get there act to gether and get their subs out.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind /forum/post/0

I don't mean to be a jerk but I hope these guys know that they are going to need at least a veener option for their subs. I know ED hasn't learned that lesson yet. I mean we all love bass but a big ugly box isn't always the best option.

this should be interesting a lot of companies jumping into the sub market. I'm still wondering if TC sounds will ever get there act to gether and get their subs out.

ED doesn't have the capacity to do veneers yet. Saying a company hasn't learned this yet is somewhat arrogant and ignorant. I think many users on this bored are very thankful that ED even decides to do HT subs. Although they aren't gloss black, their performance is not easily beat for the dollar.

I'd like to see this 18" sub..

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzy /forum/post/0

ED doesn't have the capacity to do veneers yet. Saying a company hasn't learned this yet is somewhat arrogant and ignorant. I think many users on this bored are very thankful that ED even decides to do HT subs. Although they aren't gloss black, their performance is not easily beat for the dollar.

I'd like to see this 18" sub..

Thanks for the nice insult and probably warranted by what I said but, it still stands that some of use want other options also if Ed can build drivers I'm sure they can find somone to do veneers (even thought its a real pain). I never said it wasn't a good thing that they are, more competion is always good. As for the performance well I will hold jugement until good third party data is available.

Regardless I'm very inerested to see Epiks design choices.

#6 ·
guys...this is exciting news! A while ago while talking to Chad about my twin tower setup, he was explaining some things to me about compression and Harmonic distortion....and in the middle of all that he showed me some "no name" super high power, high excursion, 18" driver that just killed the avalanche from 20-60hz...graphs were simply amazing! At the time I didn't make the connection, but if this is anywhere near the drive he will be using with his 18" offering, watch out!

Btw, guys lets keep the thread about Epik if you guys don't mind!
The debate about ED, their finishes, etc, should be done in an ED thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub /forum/post/0

Great ... just when I promised my wife no more big subwoofers for a while ...

you will definitely want to get your hands on their 15" and 18" offerings.

#8 ·

Quote:

guys...this is exciting news! A while ago while talking to Chad about my twin tower setup, he was explaining some things to me about compression and Harmonic distortion....and in the middle of all that he showed me some "no name" super high power, high excursion, 18" driver that just killed the avalanche from 20-60hz...graphs were simply amazing! At the time I didn't make the connection, but if this is anywhere near the drive he will be using with his 18" offering, watch out!

Btw, guys lets keep the thread about Epik if you guys don't mind!
The debate about ED, their finishes, etc, should be done in an ED thread.

you will definitely want to get your hands on their 15" and 18" offerings.

This is very interesting the biggest things I think that will determine how they do will be size (I have a feeling the subs are going to be big) and design philosophy.

#9 ·
remains to be seen for sure. With ported subs, however, you cannot expect JL F113 sizes....the EBS alignment will always need more volume.

I think if the subs come in with a very high level of performance, attractive price, and decent finish, it will be VERY successful

#10 ·
looks like the website is slowly launching!!

some prelim pics of the Epik "Tower" (high excursion 15"):

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/0

Too bad, no sealed alignments

oh, but there will be!!!

try 15" sealed, dual 15" sealed, and rumors of an 18" uber sealed

the question is gonna be not "if" but "when"

#17 ·
How is this for a flagship commercial ported sub!!

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/News2.html

ultra high power, high excursion 18" driver

dual 6" flared ports

Custom 1000W bash amp

and, this baby ain't for those looking for "small": 36H x 22W x 30D.

#20 ·

Quote:

How is this for a flagship commercial ported sub!!

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/News2.html

ultra high power, high excursion 18" driver

dual 6" flared ports

Custom 1000W bash amp

and, this baby ain't for those looking for "small": 36H x 22W x 30D.

Sure looks like my design
I should sue for copying my design