Bad experience with eD. Anyone else have this problem? CS has yet to reply in 3 days - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
received a bad a2-300 sub. the sub took a month to arrive, and now it sounds like crap.

im hoping for a free replacement driver and amp at no cost to me. most quality speaker companies would be happy to do, and have done for me in the past.

the thing clips or is blown or something. I have not even been close to pushing it to its expected limit, and it sounds like its breaking at levels that a costco 50 dollar sub could easily handle.

the gain was set to 50% and the lfe output was always on normal levels. I never turned it up that loud, and even then it would sound like crap. I left 2 voice mails in 3 days, and one email 3 days ago, and have yet to hear anything back.

anyone else deal with this? how is their customer service. i know they are slammed, and i can understand mistakes do happen, but if i dont hear back by monday im not sure if i will ever purchase from them again. Which is too bad because i was thinking about buying an a5 or a7 in th near future There is no excuse for bad customer service. a call back or email back should at least be expected within a couple days.

ill update with the rest of the experience after i have actually talked to them, hopefully they pull through and impress me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 04:08 PM

They are slammed and all I can say is I do feel very good abut the three guys I spoke with there.
It always sucks when it happens to you and we all feel for you.
I'm sure they will take care of you, it's in their best interest to do so.
post #3 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 04:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvyi83 View Post

im wanting a free replacement driver and amp sent to me, with a box to send the defective units back with free shipping. A service most quality speaker companies would be happy to do, and have done for me in the past.

Sounds to me like someone likes to beat on their gear.

If I were them I wouldn't send you another driver and amp so you could just destroy it again, since in all likelihood that is what happened. I'd want the whole sub back so I could take it apart and find what the cause really was. That way if it was failure from abuse I could charge you for the repair instead of sending out free parts to someone that doesn't deserve them.

I had nothing but great luck with the guys over at eD, and plan to do business with them in the future.
post #4 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The thing you don't indicate though is what your volume is at on your reciever. For all we know you could be in a huge room with the volume at 10+db for the sub and have your reciever's volume at near reference levels. It might not even be a defective unit, you could just be using a sub that's not strong enough for your room.

They've been fine with emails for me.

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

They call me the 18 year old DJ Audiophile-upgradeitis infected-guy!
post #5 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
nothing new... ed has been known for this kind of things and worst in the past wiht their car audio market. thus the reason they are probably gearing towards ht now.
post #6 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

trust me, my room is small 12-15 and my receiver is only a hk 340, which was turned up to about -20. which was no where near reference levels.

if they pay shipping for my unit to send it back then fine. but im not paying for a defective unit.

IF it does break under those levels, then no offense to anyone here that likes the company but the quality is basically crap.
post #7 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yah forgot to add, most companies are swamped so it could be honestly nothing wrong, give them a call instead.
post #8 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Lomax View Post

If I were them I wouldn't send you another driver and amp so you could just destroy it again, since in all likelihood that is what happened. I'd want the whole sub back so I could take it apart and find what the cause really was. That way if it was failure from abuse I could charge you for the repair instead of sending out free parts to someone that doesn't deserve them.

I had nothing but great luck with the guys over at eD, and plan to do business with them in the future.

and i did not beat on my unit.. i emailed then 10 minutes after receiving the unit because of clipping problems. its 4 days old, and sounded bad out of the box.

and btw.. what is up with you throwing blame on me. are you that die hard of a fan that you assume eD is never at fault? i wait a month for a product and get a defective unit that sounds horrible out of the box, then dont get a reply from eD for 3 days and its still all my fault? pretty ridiculous.

i have an 8 inch 50 watt computer sub that will put out more spl than this sub without making popping sounds.

i can only hope you have the same experience
post #9 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 05:28 PM

You will have to go through the process of getting an RMA. I had to do this once for car subs I ordered from them and everything went off without a hitch.

I would call them when they open up on Monday and inform them of your issues.
post #10 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

Oh yah forgot to add, most companies are swamped so it could be honestly nothing wrong, give them a call instead.

was their car audio reputation that bad? but yeah thanks.. i called then a few days ago left a couple voice mails too. im sure they are just swamped, but i guess ill wait and find out how they handle it.
post #11 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:

and btw.. what is up with you throwing blame on me. are you that die hard of a fan that you assume eD is never at fault?

No, but as a dealer for many lines of audio products, and after personally going on countless service calls and handling hundreds of warranty repairs, etc over the years, I know 10 times out of 10 when someone abuses their equipment until it's damaged it's *never* their fault.

It's almost always the same story, "I never even turned it up", "I only had the gain up half way", "I barely even used it", and so on. Unless I was there, I can't argue, but I know damn well they could make up any story they like. And it's always the equipment abusers that make the biggest stink about getting it fixed for nothing. Sort of like your first post.

Of course you actually might have received a defective unit, and there is also the chance it got damaged in-transit. I'm not disputing that, and I have no idea why you haven't heard back yet, but your story sounds awfully familiar, thats all.

Good luck.
post #12 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course you actually might have received a defective unit, and there is also the chance it got damaged in-transit. I'm not disputing that, and I have no idea why you haven't heard back yet, but your story sounds awfully familiar, thats all.

Good luck.

It doesnt matter if it sound familiar or not.....

I know one of my tweeters off my def tech towers was blown after about 3 months use, I emailed them saturday and guess what? they called me monday morning at 8 am and told me they where gonna ship me a new tweeter free of charge and that I could keep the old one... NOW THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE! Even gave me the option of taking back both towers and getting new ones...Well all know that replacing blown product is what makes good customer service its GOOD COMMUNICATION! I recently bought an amp and it wasnt here a couple of days later, I emailed the shop and not even a day later I got a response. I got it exactly teh day they promised I would.

Another story, TC sounds shipped me a sub, fedex said it was the wrong address. They call I give them a call give them directions and they still coudnt find my house. When I called they would not let me pick it up from the distribuation center. I called tc sounds and they called fedex and they arranged for me to pick it up the same hour! and TC sounds called me the next day to see if i was happy with the product and if I was able to pick it up.

I think the thing pissing off the op is bad communication.....
post #13 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:

received a bad a2-300 sub. the sub took a month to arrive, and now it sounds like crap.

im wanting a free replacement driver and amp sent to me, with a box to send the defective units back with free shipping. A service most quality speaker companies would be happy to do, and have done for me in the past.

the thing clips or is blown or something. I have not even been close to pushing it to its expected limit, and it sounds like its breaking at levels that a costco 50 dollar sub could easily handle.

the gain was set to 50% and the lfe output was always on normal levels. I never turned it up that loud, and even then it would sound like crap. I left 2 voice mails in 3 days, and one email 3 days ago, and have yet to hear anything back.

anyone else deal with this? how is their customer service. i know they are slammed, and i can understand mistakes do happen, but if i dont hear back by monday im not sure if i will ever purchase from them again. Which is too bad because i was thinking about buying an a5 or a7 in th near future There is no excuse for bad customer service. a call back or email back should at least be expected within a couple days.

ill update with the rest of the experience after i have actually talked to them, hopefully they pull through and impress me.

Call....
post #14 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

I think the thing pissing off the op is bad communication.....

No doubt, but neither you or I have any idea what kind of messages he left for them. Demanding free this and that doesn't help either.

No offense to the op, but trust me, people can be indignant pricks in either situation we might have here, his fault or not. And those are usually the ones that get put to the back of the line regardless of fault. It always pays to be nice, especially when you haven't even heard back yet.

Again, best of luck with your issue. I'm sure it will be taken care of one way or another.
post #15 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
On their website the eD Sub a2-300 has some pretty impressive specs for $350.00 sub, plus
shipping. Maybe it's worth waiting for. Elemental Designs is going through growing
pains. To many orders, and not enough staff (people) to cover all bases. eD has been
in the auto sub market for some time from what I've read.

But now they are making subs for home use. That's the problem their dealing with. They
need time to get up to speed....and that takes manpower to cover all bases. Your email,
and phone calls will be addressed as soon as possible (from them).

I have never delt with eD, but they (from what I've read) are pretty good at turning out
a nice product. I've have HSU subs, Parts Express subs, and Velodyne subs.
I'm not gonna say eD home subs and customer service sucks...I've never heard an
eD sub and never had to deal with their customer service.

Right now HSU (started in 1991) and SVS (started in 2001, I believe) and eD (just
starting to get into the home sub market) are the three main big internet direct sub
companies.........each one trying to outdue the other or at least keep up.

HSU is moving into a bigger headquarters because of the expansion of their products
(like home speakers, turbo subs, etc). SVS orginally started out with cylinder subs,
then got into box subs, and now into home speakers. The competition is tough.....
and that's a good thing for the consumer....it means lower prices, and better products,
(hopefully).

Give eD a chance to respond to your emails and phone calls. They will respond, just
may take a little more time than SVS and HSU..........vardo
post #16 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This response is so wrong
Failure on the field is ok. It happens. How a company handles it is key. Have you had bad luck? Do you think they would have taken care of you if things had gone wrong?
post #17 of 90 Old 08-11-2007, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, but as a dealer for many lines of audio products, and after personally going on countless service calls and handling hundreds of warranty repairs, etc over the years, I know 10 times out of 10 when someone abuses their equipment until it's damaged it's *never* their fault.

It's almost always the same story, "I never even turned it up", "I only had the gain up half way", "I barely even used it", and so on. Unless I was there, I can't argue, but I know damn well they could make up any story they like. And it's always the equipment abusers that make the biggest stink about getting it fixed for nothing. Sort of like your first post.

Good luck.

You are a dealer and this is how you would treat your customers? You may have been burnt with bad customers, but don't cast judgment until you know. You are a dealer for who?
post #18 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 01:48 AM

With an eD sub on order, seeing a thread like this worries me a lot. Whether the op abused his sub or not, eD has to replace it. If I were in eD's shoes though, I wouldn't agree to a return of in box components for new ones, I would want the whole unit back so I could inspect it. Also eD should refund the shipping costs, providing the sub was not abused. If my sub arrives not working as it should, or damaged, it's going back and I'm not paying for the return trip, and if I have to pay, I want my order refunded so I can buy a sub from another company.

eD has a small staff so give them a chance to call you back, from what I've herd there's only about 10 guys working there. eD needs to hire some more folks to speed up production. Waiting a month for a sub to have it arrive non working really sucks, I don't blame to op for being mad, and I think anyone here would be pissed. It's not like a sub is easy to return either, it's a headache you don't want to deal with.

Keep us informed.

Jeff-
post #19 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No doubt, but neither you or I have any idea what kind of messages he left for them. Demanding free this and that doesn't help either.

No offense to the op, but trust me, people can be indignant pricks in either situation we might have here, his fault or not. And those are usually the ones that get put to the back of the line regardless of fault. It always pays to be nice, especially when you haven't even heard back yet.

Again, best of luck with your issue. I'm sure it will be taken care of one way or another.

you think im going to call and be a dick? i left a perfectly calm message describing what had happened.. twice. 3 days later.. im a little aggrevated that i hadnt heard a thing. even after 2 emails.. and 2 calls and voice mails..

i didnt say i expect a replacement, i called and told what my problem was and told them to call me back when they had a chance.

so yeah maybe my first post was a little aggravated, but thats only because i was sligtly aggravated at the moment because i was thinking about how messed up it is for them to not call me back. but basically i was more nervous than anything. and its not like i am saying they have bad cs.. i just said they need to pull through in the end. because so far.. it seems like they dont care.

im just waiting patienty.. i have no negatve feelings towards eD, im just going to wait and see what they say. i know they are slammed, but slammed or not.. it seems like slow sart
post #20 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Call during business hours, and someone will most assuredly pick up.
post #21 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Should have bought a SVS or HSu.
post #22 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab10 View Post

Call during business hours, and someone will most assuredly pick up.

People have and it's been said (the acutal phone monkey) posted it was just him answering phone calls while doing other stuff and can't do everything all at once(meaning bad at multi-tasking)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamocles View Post

Call....

Try reading the thread..

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #23 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSSues View Post

Should have bought a SVS or HSu.

hopefully i wont still have to.

and the calls i made were during business hours, but no one picked up either time.

ill just try again on monday.
post #24 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:

hopefully i wont still have to.

and the calls i made were during business hours, but no one picked up either time.

ill just try again on monday.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthre...6&page=1&pp=10

This may be why you haven't heard anything yet. Hang in there...
post #25 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How long have they been in buisness? Seems odd they only have one phone monkey.. But maybe it helps keep costs down but at the same time keeps CS down too..

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #26 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

This response is so wrong
Failure on the field is ok. It happens. How a company handles it is key. Have you had bad luck? Do you think they would have taken care of you if things had gone wrong?

Why is it so wrong? Because it's beyond the realm of possibility that people damage equipment and lie about it to get it fixed for free under warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

You are a dealer and this is how you would treat your customers? You may have been burnt with bad customers, but don't cast judgment until you know. You are a dealer for who?

I don't see how being suspicious in certain situations that you've seen time and time again is being a bad dealer. My lines take care of me, should I not extend the same courtesy? I go way above and beyond what my obligations are daily. I don't make the equipment, I sell it and install it, so when there is a problem with the equipment, I lose out more than anyone since I'm the one that has to go get it, pay to ship it to get repaired, then re-install it for nothing.

The last thing I want to do is go through all that trouble when for all I know they are just going to do it again. Sending the unit back, rather than making a swap of components/parts, gives me a way to find out if the unit was defective or damaged. If it's defective, I stand behind my products and take care of it for nothing. If it was damaged, I can bill them for both the repair, and the service. This way they think twice about abusing the equipment next time. Of course sometimes there are exceptions, if someone spent 80k on a system, I'm not going to ask as many questions obviously.

I am a dealer for NAD, Integra, Denon, Sirius, Epson, Sim, Monitor Audio, Sunfire, PSB, Speakercraft, Middle Atlantic, Chief, Peerless, LG, Escient, Acoustic Innovations, DirecTV, Hitachi Onkyo, Yamaha, Velodyne, Nuvo, Sonos, Universal, Pronto, Logitech, Pioneer and NEC. Ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyi83 View Post

I didnt say i expect a replacement, i called and told what my problem was and told them to call me back when they had a chance.

Actually you did just that in v.1 of your first post, until you edited it. Apparently what I said about being nice made some sense.
post #27 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

Try reading the thread..

Be persistant, call.........again..........

And I thought that I liked to argue.....you must chill Daniel-son
post #28 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Why is it so wrong? Because it's beyond the realm of possibility that people damage equipment and lie about it to get it fixed for free under warranty?

I don't see how being suspicious in certain situations that you've seen time and time again is being a bad dealer. My lines take care of me, should I not extend the same courtesy? I go way above and beyond what my obligations are daily. I don't make the equipment, I sell it and install it, so when there is a problem with the equipment, I lose out more than anyone since I'm the one that has to go get it, pay to ship it to get repaired, then re-install it for nothing.

The last thing I want to do is go through all that trouble when for all I know they are just going to do it again. Sending the unit back, rather than making a swap of components/parts, gives me a way to find out if the unit was defective or damaged. If it's defective, I stand behind my products and take care of it for nothing. If it was damaged, I can bill them for both the repair, and the service. This way they think twice about abusing the equipment next time. Of course sometimes there are exceptions, if someone spent 80k on a system, I'm not going to ask as many questions obviously.

I am a dealer for NAD, Integra, Denon, Sirius, Epson, Sim, Monitor Audio, Sunfire, PSB, Speakercraft, Middle Atlantic, Chief, Peerless, LG, Escient, Acoustic Innovations, DirecTV, Hitachi Onkyo, Yamaha, Velodyne, Nuvo, Sonos, Universal, Pronto, Logitech, Pioneer and NEC. Ok?

Actually you did just that in v.1 of your first post, until you edited it. Apparently what I said about being nice made some sense.

you are ridiculous.. thats all i have to say.

i do expect a replacement. or something equivalent.. and if i dont get one. yes i will never buy from them again. and i will steer people away from their product.

however it sounded to you is fine.. but youre ridiculous. my message to the company was perfecty calm and neutral. they didnt call me back so yeah.. their cs sucks so far.. and now i expect them to replace the unit and at least do what any other company would have done by now.. which is replace the unit or at least contact me with a fair response.

you take way too much credit. and you deserve none. if you interpreted it wrongly then thats your fault.
post #29 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

no offense to you max, but i would never purchase a thing from you.
post #30 of 90 Old 08-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

no offense to you max, but i would never purchase a thing from you.

I will second that.
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page