AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

Try Master and Commander...

That has become my favorite demo scene. Although I've only watched the movie all the way through once, I've probably watched chapter 4 at least 30 times and it still can scare me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 10451 Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell View Post

with room tuning such as the SMS-1, my PB13-Ultras are amazingly good with music.

How much better is the PB13-Ultra's sound quality with music than the Plus/2?

Quote:

On the first track, with my eys closed, I was on a small island floating high in the air...

Was there any smoke in the room?
post #273 of 10451 Old 09-10-2007, 07:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

has anybody received the new curved perf grill? Or is everything still shipping with the cloth?

I haven't received my pb-13u with the curved perf grill, but it's shipped and should be here on Friday according to AG Systems.

Been lurking here for several weeks reading up, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for every little tidbit of info and pics/graphs/etc. Reading opinions and seeing objective measurements is 1000x better than any manufacturer's sales pitch!
post #274 of 10451 Old 09-10-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetetic View Post

I haven't received my pb-13u with the curved perf grill, but it's shipped and should be here on Friday according to AG Systems.

Been lurking here for several weeks reading up, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for every little tidbit of info and pics/graphs/etc. Reading opinions and seeing objective measurements is 1000x better than any manufacturer's sales pitch!

Cool, I am still waiting for my texture black to ship.
post #275 of 10451 Old 09-11-2007, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

How much better is the PB13-Ultra's sound quality with music than the Plus/2?

Oh go get one already -- you know it's just a matter of time
Quote:

Was there any smoke in the room?

Mr. Di Meola provided the smoke
Buy the alblum and hear for yourself:
http://www.amazon.com/Splendido-Hote...dp/B00000273K/
(This will showcase the effects of the SMS-1)
post #276 of 10451 Old 09-11-2007, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

That has become my favorite demo scene. Although I've only watched the movie all the way through once, I've probably watched chapter 4 at least 30 times and it still can scare me.

Ha ha... I can basically say the same thing about Flight of the Phoenix... but I've never watched the whole movie.

M&C is good throughout the movie, but the intial battle certainly is a showcase scene.
post #277 of 10451 Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh go get one already -- you know it's just a matter of time

Maybe... but I'm very interested in hearing more about the smaller sealed subs that Epik will soon be announcing.
post #278 of 10451 Old 09-12-2007, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe... but I'm very interested in hearing more about the smaller sealed subs that Epik will soon be announcing.

Without risking this thread rat-holes into a sealed versus ported conversation, let me say that this Ultra seriously challenges any preconceived notions that you need to have a sealed enclosure to get tight and musical musical bass. That debate is for a separate thread.
post #279 of 10451 Old 09-12-2007, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

Without risking this thread rat-holes into a sealed versus ported conversation, let me say that this Ultra seriously challenges any preconceived notions that you need to have a sealed enclosure to get tight and musical musical bass.

Oh, I believe you. I'm just hoping for something smaller than the Ultra that can produce similar results. The sealed boxes tend to be smaller than the ported ones.
post #280 of 10451 Old 09-12-2007, 05:50 AM

Does the PB13 Ultra's have spikes or feet on them?
post #281 of 10451 Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
They have a plyable type of rubber feet... not too hard, not too soft...
post #282 of 10451 Old 09-12-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone get shipping confirmations yet this week? I was hoping to have two ship early this week, but haven't heard anything, and no response from Erik today.

Michael
post #283 of 10451 Old 09-12-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

Oh, I believe you. I'm just hoping for something smaller than the Ultra that can produce similar results. The sealed boxes tend to be smaller than the ported ones.

....with more powerful amps in the smaller boxes..

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #284 of 10451 Old 09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Anyone get shipping confirmations yet this week? I was hoping to have two ship early this week, but haven't heard anything, and no response from Erik today.

Michael

well.. the textured blacks are no longer showing a discount price.. hope that means that the glossy blacks will be shipping soon!!!!

-------------------------------
My Setup Slideshow
post #285 of 10451 Old 09-12-2007, 11:32 PM

Got my textured black today, woot! What a beast. One thing became very clear, I have a lot of tuning work to do, via both positioning and various settings (setup as-is I appear to have this huge dip between 36 and about 55hz, iirc.) Even just roughly tuned I am enjoying the hell out of it though.

I wonder how many times the master list of dvds with bass has been accessed... like I did today?
post #286 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 12:42 AM

Well,

My PB13 Ultra textured black arrived last week WED and have been tweeking it on and off occasionally as time permits.. (Preordered along time ago)

Between then and now, especially tonight as I watched Night at the Museum TRex Chase scene.. My PB13 would stop playing as soon as the deep bass scenes came up.. THe same thing happened with WOTW-Rising of the pods and BlackHawk Down-Irene. THe funny thing is that gain was only half way and it would still do this..

What I did notice is that the Signal LED remained Green and the PB started playing immediately as soon as I cycled the power. Bad thing is that it stopped playing again with the next scene..

Needless to say it was embarassing to have my wife ask me if it was supposed to do that only after I told her to brace herself...

I already sent an email to SVS.. Well see what they say in the morning..

I just wish it was the other guy having these problems and not me...
post #287 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrzVpr View Post

Well,

My PB13 Ultra textured black arrived last week WED and have been tweeking it on and off occasionally as time permits.. (Preordered along time ago)

Between then and now, especially tonight as I watched Night at the Museum TRex Chase scene.. My PB13 would stop playing as soon as the deep bass scenes came up.. THe same thing happened with WOTW-Rising of the pods and BlackHawk Down-Irene. THe funny thing is that gain was only half way and it would still do this..

What I did notice is that the Signal LED remained Green and the PB started playing immediately as soon as I cycled the power. Bad thing is that it stopped playing again with the next scene..

Needless to say it was embarassing to have my wife ask me if it was supposed to do that only after I told her to brace herself...

I already sent an email to SVS.. Well see what they say in the morning..

I just wish it was the other guy having these problems and not me...

The Ultra is a state-of-the-art reference class subwoofer that was definitely worth the wait, but things like this do happen occasionally with a new product, and it has occured on my PB13 also so you are not alone, but hang in there and give the guys at SVS a chance to solve it for you - their level of customer serevice is untouchable and I can guarantee they will take care of you.

Cheers,
Ross
post #288 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 03:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Between you two and Craig, it sounds significant. But out of how many PB13s are we talking about? Has anyone been keeping track of how many have purchased on the forum?

In a week or so, we'll probably want to run a poll to see what the actual failure rate is.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #289 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I am a huge SVS fan, but a little disappointed in them, as I order my PB13's a few weeks ago, was told they would ship late last week, and then this week they would ship early in the week, and just found out they are shipping maybe not tell next week.

You would think they would have the build times down on thses things, and would be within 2 days of the shipping time.

This is what you get for waiting tell the first reviews were out to order.

Michael
post #290 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

I am a huge SVS fan, but a little disappointed in them, as I order my PB13's a few weeks ago, was told they would ship late last week, and then this week they would ship early in the week, and just found out they are shipping maybe not tell next week.

You would think they would have the build times down on thses things, and would be within 2 days of the shipping time.

This is what you get for waiting tell the first reviews were out to order.

Michael

I'm in the same boat. Was told they should ship the end of this week or early next. It seems the hold up is waiting on the arrival of the enclosures to come in, in my case the rosenut. Can't really blame them for a delayed component not produced in-house. I'm sure they're as frustrated as we are to get the backorders out.
post #291 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

I am wondering if it is better to get your sub now or have them hold it until they look into the failure issues that everyone else is experiencing? What would be better.. getting it and finding out that you have to send it back or just getting it right the first time (if there is, in fact, something wrong).. just curious...

My Setup Slideshow
post #292 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Would you know, that I post that message, go out into the country in Puerto Rico, and when I get back to an area that has cell service, I have a message that my subs were sent. SVS is a great company, and don't take it I was complaining about them
post #293 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Hasn't there only been two reported problems?
post #294 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Guys, from my conversations with Ron and Ed it sounds like there have been only a few isolated amp problems so try not to jump to conclusions, and they have sold a lot more new Ultras in the few short weeks than they expected to the point of needing to get restocked on cabinets as was mentioned by Bampson - the unexpectedly high sales is great to hear and over time I believe the PB/PC13 is going to become known as one of the very best subs you can buy regardless of price, the SQ is that good.

Cheers,
Ross
post #295 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

well two or three reported problems from people on this forum..(same problem as far as I know) but there are a lot of purchasers that are not on this forum I am not sure how you can really gauge if there is a problem with a product based off of one forum website... too many variables to consider...

I was simply asking a question.. I was not trying to start rumors or trouble I love SVS and think they deliver great solid products... It's just that, even great companies get glitches at times with their product production...

Please don't read too deep into my question... it was only a surface level remark.

(boy.. I think I might lose 5lbs with the amount of back peddling I am going to have to do with that question lol )

My Setup Slideshow
post #296 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 09:40 AM

Mine exhibited the same cut-off behavior as TrzVpr, but it again it was pre-tuning so I assumed I was running it too hard.

This is my first experience with a subwoofer of this class. I've got a lot of things to test before I would say there's any sort of issue; there may be and there may not. I don't want to burden SVS with claims of malfunction when it's my own fault. Also the more info I come to them with the better off we'll all be. (meaning svs and myself)

With music I hit 111db easily and what an experience! Gotta listen to my whole collection again
post #297 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babel_Fish View Post

I love SVS and think they deliver great solid products... It's just that, even great companies get glitches at times with their product production...

Right on, they have proven themselves to be a great company and when an inevitable isolated glitch happens they are the ones you want on your side, as they stand behind their product like no other company I have ever dealt with!

Quote:
(boy.. I think I might lose 5lbs with the amount of back peddling I am going to have to do with that question lol )

THAT was funny dude!

Cheers,
Ross
post #298 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
hey SVS owners

I would love to see some pics of this sub actually in your HT

They are such beasts, I am having trouble picturing one (or two) under my screen in each corner of the front wall

might as well park two Mini Coopers up there...

thanks!

brad
post #299 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 AM

Well I shot SVS an email last night and as I expected got a response early this morning as soon as I turned on my puter (I just woke up.=0)

There are some troubleshooting steps they want me to take which I will do as soon as get home from work..

THey also assured me that if that doesnt work then they would send me a new amp to switch out while they analyze this one..

I new I took a risk in preordering a new sub design but SVS's reputation for quality service help convince me to preorder.. Glad their reputation for customer service was well deserved..

Now to get this thing Fixed! My living room is still in tact.. I will post updates as they happen..
post #300 of 10451 Old 09-13-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitmore View Post

hey SVS owners

I would love to see some pics of this sub actually in your HT

They are such beasts, I am having trouble picturing one (or two) under my screen in each corner of the front wall

might as well park two Mini Coopers up there...

thanks!

brad

Here ya go.
The Ultra endtable.
LL
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page