Official SVS Ultra 13 thread - Page 295 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #8821 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've seen several pics, of the ultra 13 driver but I can't see the dual 9" spiders. Are they close together or is there a space between them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty_eyes View Post

As I have said few times in this thread, I have Ultra with Sledge amp and I can hear the white noise over ten feet away from the sub. I'm not very happy with that but otherwise the sub is so good that I kept it. Still I wonder when you guys talk about inches and I talk about feet. Something is different or maybe you are all deaf Well, SVS says this is normal variation so I guess it is then..

I usually take my hearing aids out....so I do not notice the white noise. All kidding aside I never did notice it b4 I read this thread again and I cannot hear it a foot or two away and neither can my 67 year old son, or I mean my sixteen year old. With that said I had a BASH and now a SLEDGE amp and the SLEDGE hits "harder" IMO than my BASH did.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #8823 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

As I have said few times in this thread, I have Ultra with Sledge amp and I can hear the white noise over ten feet away from the sub. I'm not very happy with that but otherwise the sub is so good that I kept it. Still I wonder when you guys talk about inches and I talk about feet. Something is different or maybe you are all deaf Well, SVS says this is normal variation so I guess it is then..

What about flipping the sub 180 so it's not point at you? Low freq will be unaffected. High freq will be significantly attenuated.
post #8824 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
The audible white noise issue should be addressed by SVS more thoroughly. These reports are enough to keep me from buying another one, and I know there are others reading who are thinking the same thing. That's a damn shame considering the customer service they offer and the prowess of the Ultra.

Any hiss or white noise is a peeve of mine and a deal breaker.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #8825 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

The audible white noise issue should be addressed by SVS more thoroughly. These reports are enough to keep me from buying another one, and I know there are others reading who are thinking the same thing. That's a damn shame considering the customer service they offer and the prowess of the Ultra.

Any hiss or white noise is a peeve of mine and a deal breaker.

I agree and so glad mine have the good old bash amps . Although some it doesnt seem to bother but it would me also there seems to be a very inconsistent range of how loud the white noise is on different subs . So your taking a gamble .

My current HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8826 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 AM

The white noise is there, but it is very very faint. I can barely hear it when I muted the system, and put my ear to within a feet away from the cone. One would not detect that under normal use. It should not deter anyone from buying such an otherwise wonderful sub.

We can all enjoy the tight bass coming from this ultra, or we can look for non essentials to nitpick and be miserable.
post #8827 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

I usually take my hearing aids out....so I do not notice the white noise. All kidding aside I never did notice it b4 I read this thread again and I cannot hear it a foot or two away and neither can my 67 year old son, or I mean my sixteen year old. With that said I had a BASH and now a SLEDGE amp and the SLEDGE hits "harder" IMO than my BASH did.

Cant imagine the Sledge hitting harder but you never know . My Bash amps will knock your fillings loose and there whisper quiet when need be

My current HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8828 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinmanc View Post

The white noise is there, but it is very very faint. I can barely hear it when I muted the system, and put my ear to within a feet away from the cone. One would not detect that under normal use. It should not deter anyone from buying such an otherwise wonderful sub.

We can all enjoy the tight bass coming from this ultra, or we can look for non essentials to nitpick and be miserable.

Again it seems the white noise varies from sub to sub since some have reported hearing it from there seating positions No nit- picking here im very happy with my bash amps I was going to upgrade my amps just to have to latest and greatest . But I thought to myself why ?Now with the reported white noise issues im so glad I didnt . Im sorry and love SVS but theres no way these subs should be having this issue SVS has always been known for whisper quiet subs and the digital amps to me the negitaves out way if any of the positives. These bash amps hit hard and shake my HT With the thunder and cant imagine any more

My current HT
post #8829 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post

What about flipping the sub 180 so it's not point at you? Low freq will be unaffected. High freq will be significantly attenuated.

I think turning the sub 90 degrees would already help because then the woofer is not pointing towards the listening posiiton anymore. At the moment I have no room to do that. Only one place where the sub can be. If someone really wants Ultra but is concerned about the white noise I would recommend PC-model. Noise issue probably isn't so bad because the woofer is pointing down.

Of course the white noise cant't be heard during a movie or music and the sub goes on stand-by after about two hours. Then it's noiseless. But there is still that two hours. And you can also turn the sub off if you want and again there is no noise anymore. My starting point is that I shouldn't have to do that.
post #8830 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampage123 View Post

I've seen several pics, of the ultra 13 driver but I can't see the dual 9" spiders. Are they close together or is there a space between them?

The basket hides the spiders. From what I know they have a lot of room to move. As dose the entire motor assembly. That's partly why the driver is so tall. To allow the clearances needed.

Trust me this is a quality driver.

if you haven't already.

check out these tests

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...0-hz-tune.html

ShaunH
post #8831 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Someone should contact SVS about this so owner can get a formal comment. Noise should not be normal no matter what.

ShaunH
post #8832 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Really the white noise is a non-issue I did not even know my sub did that. IMO the SLEDGE seems to edge out the BASH which I owned, both are great though. I wouldn't mind getting another SLEDGE and stack it though

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #8833 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

Someone should contact SVS about this so owner can get a formal comment. Noise should not be normal no matter what.

This issue has been discussed for the last few months. SV is aware and has disclosed the reasons why and the amplitude of the white or pink noise issue. In short it's a design tradeoff. It shouldn't be audible from more than a foot away, but it seems shifty_eyes has very good hearing or his amps are untypical. I'm sure he's been in contact with SV Sound. I have no idea what, if any, resolution has been proposed.

Ed posted an explanation awhile back and explained their position on the amps (not in reference to shifty).

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #8834 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM

I have a new pb-13ultra, with little white noise, and it does not automaticaly turn off, the white noise is always there, even after 12 hours of no use...how many of you have this problem.(it is on auto off)
post #8835 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 PM

mm
post #8836 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Really the white noise is a non-issue I did not even know my sub did that. IMO the SLEDGE seems to edge out the BASH which I owned, both are great though. I wouldn't mind getting another SLEDGE and stack it though

does your sub shut off completely in auto mode?
post #8837 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ati. View Post

I have a new pb-13ultra, with little white noise, and it does not automaticaly turn off, the white noise is always there, even after 12 hours of no use...how many of you have this problem.(it is on auto off)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ati. View Post

does your sub shut off completely in auto mode?

If you read threw a few pages you'll see white noise is pretty normal but will vary from sub to sub . Some folks it doesnt bother and some it does . When you have it on auto the amp is still getting power and thats why your still hearing the white noise I imagine . I say enjoy your new sub you have a great performer !!! Unless the white noise is louder then normal .

My current HT
post #8838 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
This issue has been discussed for the last few months. SV is aware and has disclosed the reasons why and the amplitude of the white or pink noise issue. In short it's a design tradeoff. It shouldn't be audible from more than a foot away, but it seems shifty_eyes has very good hearing or his amps are untypical. I'm sure he's been in contact with SV Sound. I have no idea what, if any, resolution has been proposed.

Ed posted an explanation awhile back and explained their position on the amps (not in reference to shifty).
Thanks, I guess I just don't see how this an acceptable trade off for a product that is about 2k right now after shipping. SVS is not the only option in this price range.

And if you have little issue with size and money. Seaton or JTR can really kick some butt.

ShaunH
post #8839 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, I guess I just don't see how this an acceptable trade off for a product that is about 2k right now after shipping.
I'm pretty sensitive to ambient noise floorl; on both of my mine, the white noise is no audible with your ear more than 1' away. It seems like there might be a very few of the amps with a higher noise floor?
post #8840 of 10505 Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
I'm pretty sensitive to ambient noise floorl; on both of my mine, the white noise is no audible with your ear more than 1' away. It seems like there might be a very few of the amps with a higher noise floor?
Hmm interesting.

I read Ed's post and I still can't say that was the best trade off. I understand that if they had only raised gain on certain amps it might have caused problems with warranty and caused prices to go up. But really again these aren't cheap. And noise shouldn't be an issue. But then again I don't have one so I don't know how much it would bother me.

ShaunH
post #8841 of 10505 Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

I feel like I should say why I'm always so hard SVS while still supporting their products.

I think SVS is a great company and I have a lot of respect for them. And I hope to own several of the products when I can. I also recommend them to those I know in real life. Please understand getting someone into a real audio store and away from big box places is hard enough. But tell someone they should buy an expensive component online without seeing it or touching it. Having to ship it back if you don't like it. That's to much for most folks.

But I know who ever I send to SVS will be treated with respect and given whatever help they need. And will get a good products for the money they spend. I already sent a friend their way who bought some SBS-01s and a PB10 several years ago.

So in other words SVS is one of the few brands I would recommend to almost anyone. I hold SVS to higher standard because they are a better company.with a better product. So I'm more critical because for a lot of people including my self this hobby is not cheap. And I see no point in doing anything half way. I would simple pass over SVS if I didn't think they offered such amazing products.

ShaunH
post #8842 of 10505 Old 02-21-2011, 05:59 AM

I don't know how fussy you people are getting about SVS and their Sledge amp but do not notice all this (white and pink) noise that you are speaking of. My Ultra sounds incredibly punchy and potent and I hear no audible noise from mine when idle. As far as SVS the company goes I dare you to find a company that gives you honest advice and support like they do. I'm from a car audio background and have much experience with subwoofers and I can honestly say I haven't heard a sub for the home in the $1700 range that I would rather.
post #8843 of 10505 Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^^^^++++++++++
post #8844 of 10505 Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodyy View Post

I don't know how fussy you people are getting about SVS and their Sledge amp but do not notice all this (white and pink) noise that you are speaking of. My Ultra sounds incredibly punchy and potent and I hear no audible noise from mine when idle. As far as SVS the company goes I dare you to find a company that gives you honest advice and support like they do. I'm from a car audio background and have much experience with subwoofers and I can honestly say I haven't heard a sub for the home in the $1700 range that I would rather.

I have my own set of standards I look for in equipment. If they're not met, I don't buy.

My Bash amp is dead silent when it's off. There's no noise whatsoever. Precedence has been set, and this is what I expect now. There's no way I'll order a new one knowing that there are numerous reports of some type of noise when the sub is idle. Doesn't matter if I can hear it from 1 foot away or 15. I'll know it's there because I'll put my ear to it and see now.

I remember in my early days of home theater some 20 years ago, always trying out new equipment that I could afford that would get me away from an audible hiss coming from the tweeters while using cheap gear that didn't cost too much. Now, any type of foreign noise in my system is like nails on a chalkboard, and I simply won't have it.

I think SVS is about as good as it gets when it comes to customer service and making incredible subwoofers that remain semi-affordable for what you get. I'm not knocking them, but I know they read this thread, and I can promise you that I am most certainly not alone in my thinking. The noise reports are very hurtful in my opinion, and I hope they can resolve it.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #8845 of 10505 Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I haven't even bought my sub yet--still considering various options--but this whole Sledge white noise thing is starting to push me in a different direction away from SVS. I guess I am with those that feel any kind of noise introduced into the system that doesn't belong there is unacceptable. I remember back in my early stereo days back in the 70s, I bought a new system--receiver was a Nikko--and there was an audible noise that drove me crazy. I was going to bring it back to the shop but low and behold they were out of business so I just kept it--but I always knew it was there. My ears are 25 years older and probably can't even hear the noise now but still, I just don't see how the older Bash amp can be silent and the new and improved Sledge now has introduced noise--who cares about whatever DSP features the Sledge provides--I'd probably rather have just an on/off switch and no white noise. Oh well--I haven't ruled SVS out so we'll see.

Bob

post #8846 of 10505 Old 02-21-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

It shouldn't be audible from more than a foot away, but it seems shifty_eyes has very good hearing or his amps are untypical.

SVS seems to think also that I have very good hearing. Yea, my parents heard the noise from the LP too so maybe it's just in my genes. If they can hear it then anyone of you can also hear it. No matter how loud you have been enjoying those LFE tracks.

I've been in contact with SVS about the situation. I have Radioshack SPL meter and I can't measure over 50 dB noise levels so they say this is within normal limits. I don't doubt that. It just makes me wonder why guys here report much lower noise levels. Maybe it is my ears but I doubt that. I guess one reason could be background noise. My room is practically dead silent. Anyway, nothing to do at the moment I guess.

I hope people don't think I'm here just to throw dirt on SVS. That is not my intention. I posted here about my noise issue because I wanted to know if this is normal and to hear experience from other Sledge amp owners. I'm sure SVS can also take constructive criticism. I'm sure they are working with this issue and when they solve it we will find something else to complain. I'm sure they expect nothing less from us. There is still long road to perfection.
post #8847 of 10505 Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:

SVS seems to think also that I have very good hearing. Yea, my parents heard the noise from the LP too so maybe it's just in my genes. If they can hear it then anyone of you can also hear it. No matter how loud you have been enjoying those LFE tracks.

I've been in contact with SVS about the situation. I have Radioshack SPL meter and I can't measure over 50 dB noise levels so they say this is within normal limits. I don't doubt that. It just makes me wonder why guys here report much lower noise levels. Maybe it is my ears but I doubt that. I guess one reason could be background noise. My room is practically dead silent. Anyway, nothing to do at the moment I guess.

I hope people don't think I'm here just to throw dirt on SVS. That is not my intention. I posted here about my noise issue because I wanted to know if this is normal and to hear experience from other Sledge amp owners. I'm sure SVS can also take constructive criticism. I'm sure they are working with this issue and when they solve it we will find something else to complain. I'm sure they expect nothing less from us. There is still long road to perfection.

I have not experienced any noise what-so-ever in this situation from my Bash nor my Sledge and I have very sensitive hearing. I was an early adopter of the Sledge since it fell in line with me purchasing my second sub. I understand there has been a revision due to gain issues.
In any case, I have received exception customer service with my past issues and they have sent me new amps to test to resolve issues. If you are experiencing unacceptable performance from you product, I highly recommend working with them on the issue before writing the product off as inferior due to noise and making it seem like your stuck with it. I just want you to know you have available options and that you should take advantage of them.
post #8848 of 10505 Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM

I have been dealing with SVS with regards to my 2 issues, white noise and not going into auto off.....well, I can say that Jack Gilvey has been exceptional with regards to addressing my concerns
post #8849 of 10505 Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

So in other words SVS is one of the few brands I would recommend to almost anyone.

SVS and Emotiva. Great gear.
post #8850 of 10505 Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I remember in my early days of home theater some 20 years ago, always trying out new equipment that I could afford that would get me away from an audible hiss coming from the tweeters while using cheap gear that didn't cost too much. Now, any type of foreign noise in my system is like nails on a chalkboard, and I simply won't have it.

+1, and that's why I've voiced my complaints with the ASEQ1 adding noise to the system, which is still audible at 1' and not at 5' like it was.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page