Official SVS Ultra 13 thread - Page 353 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10561 of 10581 Old 02-18-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 892
The drivers in the Ultra's are beasts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra driver.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	553889  
Vader424242, TomC1315 and dedobot like this.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
Mongo171 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10562 of 10581 Old 02-22-2015, 08:43 PM
Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well I took the plunge and ordered the pb13 ultra. I got rid of my dual outlaws in hopes that the pb13 will outperform them. Should get it in a few weeks!
TomC1315 likes this.
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10563 of 10581 Old 02-22-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Few weeks?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adidino is offline  
post #10564 of 10581 Old 02-22-2015, 09:04 PM
Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yep ordered through best buy
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10565 of 10581 Old 02-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
AllenA07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Yep ordered through best buy
Just curious, any reason you didn't go through SVS directly.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4
AllenA07 is offline  
post #10566 of 10581 Old 02-22-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Strange. Should only be a few days


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adidino is offline  
post #10567 of 10581 Old 02-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah got a bit of a discount and had some store credit
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10568 of 10581 Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 13
anyone have any ideas as to what I can put over the top of the new sub to protect it from scratches? Anyone put clear bra or window tint film or anything on theirs? Got a new cat who loved to sit on my last sub the last few weeks I had it.
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10569 of 10581 Old 02-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Member
 
1969luis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I ordered the sb13ultra and it will take 2 to 3 weeks
Surfdrifter, cchunter and TomC1315 like this.

Pioneer PLasma 428XD( KURO) ; Mede8er800X3D ; BDP Oppo 103-EU ;colunas B&W frontais 684 e traseiras DM 303; Central B&W HTM62 :Sub B&W 608: yamaha RX- V771
1969luis is offline  
post #10570 of 10581 Old 02-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969luis View Post
I ordered the sb13ultra and it will take 2 to 3 weeks
Through svs?
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10571 of 10581 Old 02-25-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
anyone have any ideas as to what I can put over the top of the new sub to protect it from scratches? Anyone put clear bra or window tint film or anything on theirs? Got a new cat who loved to sit on my last sub the last few weeks I had it.
A towel? Something decorative?

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
Mongo171 is offline  
post #10572 of 10581 Old 02-25-2015, 01:25 PM
Member
 
1969luis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Through svs?

http://www.vilasound.pt/

Pioneer PLasma 428XD( KURO) ; Mede8er800X3D ; BDP Oppo 103-EU ;colunas B&W frontais 684 e traseiras DM 303; Central B&W HTM62 :Sub B&W 608: yamaha RX- V771
1969luis is offline  
post #10573 of 10581 Old 02-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question for those smarter than I....iv read that if you have a receiver with audyssey, its good to always set the sub phase to 0. Founder of audyssey highly advises this and mentions something about the phase setting only changing the phase at a certain frequency. I have also found other reputable people who say to play with the phase setting until u get the highest SPL with the avr test tone. Does anyone know what the correct answer is? Iv heard several people say they got better bass in the 180 phase position
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10574 of 10581 Old 02-28-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Question for those smarter than I....iv read that if you have a receiver with audyssey, its good to always set the sub phase to 0. Founder of audyssey highly advises this and mentions something about the phase setting only changing the phase at a certain frequency. I have also found other reputable people who say to play with the phase setting until u get the highest SPL with the avr test tone. Does anyone know what the correct answer is? Iv heard several people say they got better bass in the 180 phase position

I would set to 0 and let Audassey handle the rest.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adidino is offline  
post #10575 of 10581 Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
muffinmcfluffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Mateo, California
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
We consider the 12 Hz tune (i.e., 2 ports plugged) to be under-ported, and therefore it's not supported with a tune setting on the Sledge amp. With that said, the Sealed amp setting employs a 10 Hz 2nd order high pass, and as such will also work fine with two ports plugged.

In a small room exhibiting a lot of room gain, the Sealed mode will probably work best, but the 12 Hz mode (i.e., 2 ports plugged and Sealed menu option) will also work. Either one will complement room gain and will result in flat extension to very deep frequencies.
Does this mean my PC13-Ultra in Sealed mode with two foam plugs inserted will act as 12Hz port tune? Just wasn't sure because you said "2nd order high pass," and I didn't know if that meant that I had to change a setting. I also didn't know if that was for the newest models or not.
muffinmcfluffin is offline  
post #10576 of 10581 Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
Does this mean my PC13-Ultra in Sealed mode with two foam plugs inserted will act as 12Hz port tune? Just wasn't sure because you said "2nd order high pass," and I didn't know if that meant that I had to change a setting. I also didn't know if that was for the newest models or not.
Yes, any PC13U Sledge amp set to Sealed with 2 ports plugged will effectively be a 12 Hz tune with a 2nd order high pass @ 10 Hz.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #10577 of 10581 Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
muffinmcfluffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Mateo, California
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Yes, any PC13U Sledge amp set to Sealed with 2 ports plugged will effectively be a 12 Hz tune with a 2nd order high pass @ 10 Hz.
Sorry for me being the uneducated chum here, but care to explain what 2nd order high pass means? I'm just trying to think where I want to get at here.

My room is perhaps just a bit too boomy at 16Hz mode, and Sealed mode is good but sometimes I just feel a bit too tight, or rather I'm trying to see just what little air I can push out of the ports if possible. So I will try this mode... but is there anything else very unique about it that I should know about, where maybe not enough people are trying this mode and maybe they should?

Thanks!
muffinmcfluffin is offline  
post #10578 of 10581 Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
Sorry for me being the uneducated chum here, but care to explain what 2nd order high pass means? I'm just trying to think where I want to get at here.

My room is perhaps just a bit too boomy at 16Hz mode, and Sealed mode is good but sometimes I just feel a bit too tight, or rather I'm trying to see just what little air I can push out of the ports if possible. So I will try this mode... but is there anything else very unique about it that I should know about, where maybe not enough people are trying this mode and maybe they should?

Thanks!
Each tune setting is actually just a high pass filter, which is defined by a corner frequency and a slope. It rolls off the response below the corner frequency to help control woofer excursion when it decouples from the port below tuning. On the Sledge, the three tune options are 20 Hz, 16 Hz and Sealed. The slope for all three options is 12 dB/octave (aka 2nd order). Sealed has a corner frequency of 10 Hz, which is just below the system tune with two ports plugged.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #10579 of 10581 Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
wadeh911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Looking for opinions on who uses balanced inputs to their single or dual sb13 ultras with the input level switch in the normal position rather than in the hi level position. Obviously the output level of the sub is greater in the normal position, and I have found my Sub trim levels can be lower and still keep the db levels where mongo171 would be pleased.

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
wadeh911 is offline  
post #10580 of 10581 Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
Senior Member
 
JimSatala777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
Looking for opinions on who uses balanced inputs to their single or dual sb13 ultras with the input level switch in the normal position rather than in the hi level position. Obviously the output level of the sub is greater in the normal position, and I have found my Sub trim levels can be lower and still keep the db levels where mongo171 would be pleased.
I was under the impression that high was for when you are running it off actual output going to speakers directly ...like after it was amplified in a integrated or older receiver and you are taking it off the main speakers feed
JimSatala777 is offline  
post #10581 of 10581 Old Today, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 4,499
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 273
That switch is when using pro gear as they have higher gain output

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
fatbottom is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off