Official SVS Ultra 13 thread - Page 354 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #10591 of 10619 Old 03-08-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Iv heard the cables debate a thousand times but what are people here using as rca interconnects with their ultras? Anyone have experience with, do I dare say, audioquest sub cables? How about the new svs soundpath sub cable? Any other suggestions? Id like to get the best i possibly can out of this sub. Thx
As bear123 said, BlueJeansCable.com has good stuff. $7,000 for a 3M cable is not how I enjoy my system.
Mongo171 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10592 of 10619 Old 03-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Cool I will check into the lc-1
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10593 of 10619 Old 03-13-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Adding second PB13 Ultra

I currently own the original version of the PB13 (BASH) and I'm considering adding a second to my system (2150 cu ft dedicated space). Maybe someone with first hand knowledge can help me out.

1.Should I consider swapping my BASH amp for the Sledge amp if I add the second newer PB13 for ease of integration?
2.I can't find the detailed specs of the first version. Is the driver, cabinet, etc identical to the new version with the exception of the amp?

Thanks

Last edited by RobZ; 03-13-2015 at 05:42 AM.
RobZ is online now  
post #10594 of 10619 Old 03-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Member
 
sinisanav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Good sub for small room 1500 cubic ft

Hello SVS owners, I am close to finishing my small HT W13xL15x7.5 H I have a a subwoofer dilemma. If you check my setup( link in the signature below),you will see I have no separate subs except for built in Supercube1's in the Def Tech BP7001 towers. I have just installed back wall bass trap and some other acoustical panels which have helped overall sound tremendously ( best used 300$ ever for HT), I am generally happy with amount of mid bass I get , would like some extension in to 10-20 Hz region. Space is at premium, have room for sub that is not higher then 22" and not deeper then 23 in front of the screen and then space for 19" wide and 24 deep in the back, just by the riser.
If anyone has subs in similar size room please lend me your thoughts.
What would be your suggestion? I am comparing options with HSU, SVS, Rhythmic, PSA or vintage Def Techs.

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
sinisanav is offline  
post #10595 of 10619 Old 03-18-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisanav View Post
Hello SVS owners, I am close to finishing my small HT W13xL15x7.5 H I have a a subwoofer dilemma. If you check my setup( link in the signature below),you will see I have no separate subs except for built in Supercube1's in the Def Tech BP7001 towers. I have just installed back wall bass trap and some other acoustical panels which have helped overall sound tremendously ( best used 300$ ever for HT), I am generally happy with amount of mid bass I get , would like some extension in to 10-20 Hz region. Space is at premium, have room for sub that is not higher then 22" and not deeper then 23 in front of the screen and then space for 19" wide and 24 deep in the back, just by the riser.
If anyone has subs in similar size room please lend me your thoughts.
What would be your suggestion? I am comparing options with HSU, SVS, Rhythmic, PSA or vintage Def Techs.
If ULF is important I would go with the Rythmic. Vintage Deftech is only good above 20.
sinisanav likes this.
coolrda is online now  
post #10596 of 10619 Old 03-18-2015, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How can I tell how loud this sub will go? I was playing music at -10 on the denon with audyssey running it 5 db hot in the trim setting. my ratshack meter was saying about 110-120 db pointed directly at the cone about 4 inches away, during some bass heavy songs. It sounded fine but I'd like to not push my luck or over stress the sub. Is that pushing the upper limit with the ultra? Thanks

Last edited by mattdub1; 03-18-2015 at 07:43 PM.
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10597 of 10619 Old 03-18-2015, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
AllenA07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
How can I tell how loud this sub will go? I was playing music at -10 on the denon with audyssey running it 5 db hot in the trim setting. my ratshack meter was saying about 110-120 db pointed directly at the cone about 4 inches away, during some bass heavy songs. It sounded fine but I'd like to not push my luck or over stress the sub. Is that pushing the upper limit with the ultra? Thanks
SVS uses (aggressive) limiters, so you're not going to damage the sub. Have fun, push the thing and see what it can do!
tommaazz and TomC1315 like this.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4
AllenA07 is online now  
post #10598 of 10619 Old 03-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Senior Member
 
jwtallguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Westminster , CA
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
How can I tell how loud this sub will go? I was playing music at -10 on the denon with audyssey running it 5 db hot in the trim setting. my ratshack meter was saying about 110-120 db pointed directly at the cone about 4 inches away, during some bass heavy songs. It sounded fine but I'd like to not push my luck or over stress the sub. Is that pushing the upper limit with the ultra? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
SVS uses (aggressive) limiters, so you're not going to damage the sub. Have fun, push the thing and see what it can do!
I have 2 13 ultras in 16hz tune and get 110-120 db at my seat on movies and still have output to spare, and like allen said you pretty much cant hurt the ultras unless you do something like miss tune the amp for the tune of the ports otherwise the worst you will get is no more output.
jwtallguy is offline  
post #10599 of 10619 Old 03-19-2015, 05:23 AM
Senior Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks guys so it sounds like playing it at 110-120 db (at the cone) for a few songs isn't going to damage anything. Could anyone explain how the limiter works? Or how I would know when its kicked in? Thanks
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10600 of 10619 Old 03-19-2015, 05:48 AM
Senior Member
 
jwtallguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Westminster , CA
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Thanks guys so it sounds like playing it at 110-120 db (at the cone) for a few songs isn't going to damage anything. Could anyone explain how the limiter works? Or how I would know when its kicked in? Thanks
other than running a pure sine wave the limiter will not allow it to put out past a dangerous amount of power at a certain frequency in the dsp.

It just doesn't get louder.
jwtallguy is offline  
post #10601 of 10619 Old 03-19-2015, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Cool thanks for the info! I'm really enjoying the ultra so far but definitely have some room issues going on according to my rew sweeps. I get the highest output around 16-20 hz then a 5db dip at 25 hz then a peak at 46 hz then a 7db dip at 50hz.

Does anyone know if the cabinets are hand finished? I have dimmers in my room and while walking past the sub I noticed some unevenness in the piano black. There are some swirl marks that are sort of hazy in some spots and there are a couple scuffs on the corners of the cabinet which kind of surprised me given the cost of these. Its not that noticeable unless I get close to it or the light catches it at certain angles. Anyone else have that on theirs?
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10602 of 10619 Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 AM
Senior Member
 
jwtallguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Westminster , CA
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Cool thanks for the info! I'm really enjoying the ultra so far but definitely have some room issues going on according to my rew sweeps. I get the highest output around 16-20 hz then a 5db dip at 25 hz then a peak at 46 hz then a 7db dip at 50hz.

Does anyone know if the cabinets are hand finished? I have dimmers in my room and while walking past the sub I noticed some unevenness in the piano black. There are some swirl marks that are sort of hazy in some spots and there are a couple scuffs on the corners of the cabinet which kind of surprised me given the cost of these. Its not that noticeable unless I get close to it or the light catches it at certain angles. Anyone else have that on theirs?
My advice is to contact svs and they will correct the issue or give you a discount if that is what you choose to do, just take good pictures of the flaws and email it to them.
jwtallguy is offline  
post #10603 of 10619 Old 03-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Senior Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone get better response by pointing the driver at the wall from a ft or two away compared to firing towards the couch or center if the room?
A L Wong likes this.
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10604 of 10619 Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
AL Wong- does the "like it" mean you have yours facing a wall? Thx
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10605 of 10619 Old 03-23-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Anyone get better response by pointing the driver at the wall from a ft or two away compared to firing towards the couch or center if the room?
I get a better response when mine is pointed to the floor.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
Mongo171 is online now  
post #10606 of 10619 Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I get a better response when mine is pointed to the floor.
Speaking of pointing drivers, I know subs are non directional but is there any ill effect when placing drivers/ports of duals towards each other (front wall) if they are spaced apart (face to face) nearly 3 ft (in my case, 32")? Pointing them opposed makes the LED visible from seating when on, though I could possibly cover light with tint, etc. if needed
RobZ is online now  
post #10607 of 10619 Old 03-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I get a better response when mine is pointed to the floor.
Care to explain how that's achieved? Thx
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10608 of 10619 Old 03-23-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I get a better response when mine is pointed to the floor.
Speaking of pointing drivers, I know subs are non directional but is there any ill effect when placing drivers/ports of duals towards each other (front wall) if they are spaced apart (face to face) nearly 3 ft (in my case, 32")? Pointing them opposed makes the LED visible from seating when on, though I could possibly cover light with tint, etc. if needed
Placement makes all the difference in the world. You have to get something like REW to measure the sub response as you experiment with the placement. Piece of tape over the LED works wonders.
Mongo171 is online now  
post #10609 of 10619 Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I get a better response when mine is pointed to the floor.
Care to explain how that's achieved? Thx
As my signature says, I have a cylinder.
Mongo171 is online now  
post #10610 of 10619 Old 03-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Member
 
A L Wong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
AL Wong- does the "like it" mean you have yours facing a wall? Thx
No but I am seriously thinking of doing so.
My FR has a sharp dip at 20 Hz and due to placement restrictions, this is the only option I have left.
A L Wong is offline  
post #10611 of 10619 Old 03-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by A L Wong View Post
No but I am seriously thinking of doing so.
My FR has a sharp dip at 20 Hz and due to placement restrictions, this is the only option I have left.
Care to share your response graph just for kicks? I'm learning rew right now and have a nasty nasty room to deal with. Just wanted to see the results others are getting
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10612 of 10619 Old 03-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Member
 
A L Wong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Red face Raw 13U 16Hz and 20 Hz Tune FR (REW)

Here you go..
Background info...My system is located in the living room, open to dining and kitchen on the right .
The sub is located at the left front corner with a sliding glass door to the patio to the left of the sub.
Essentially, only a solid wall right behind the sub and about two feet to the side of it , just before the glass door takes over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	svs 13u raw 20hz and 16hz tune.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	621193  

Last edited by A L Wong; 03-23-2015 at 07:42 PM.
A L Wong is offline  
post #10613 of 10619 Old 03-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
mattdub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Your graph looks a lot better than mine except for that dip, which looks pretty severe. Try flipping it so it faces the wall and see what happens. I tried it with mine and got better response from the corner placement. But, I'm also finding I get too much low end boost from the corner so I'm trying other spots to see if I can get a flatter response

Last edited by mattdub1; 03-23-2015 at 07:54 PM.
mattdub1 is online now  
post #10614 of 10619 Unread Today, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
MitchPope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Noticed yesterday that my PC13 wasn't putting out any sound. Amp turns on, tried XLR and RCA inputs, switched from auto to always on, and tried turning it off at the wall and back on again. Is there anything else I can check? Thankfully still within warranty, but I am not looking forward to carrying it down 3 flights of stairs to send it for service.

MitchPope is online now  
post #10615 of 10619 Unread Today, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DenonLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I actually had the same thing happened to me once as well. It ended up being a cable that must have been shaken loose due to the vibration. Once I connected it everything start working again.
DenonLover is online now  
post #10616 of 10619 Unread Today, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
MitchPope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Do I void my warranty if I open up the back?

MitchPope is online now  
post #10617 of 10619 Unread Today, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DenonLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post
Do I void my warranty if I open up the back?
I called SVS and they suggested it. Once opened I realized how easy it was and upgraded from the Bash to the new digital amp and once it arrived I had it working with the new amp upgrade. One of the wires was VERY taunt so I can see how it came loose so I extended it about 2 inches and the install was much easier. Just went to Home Depot and got a hot soldering iron and it was pretty easy. You will just need to connect the wire if this is indeed the issue and not sure about the warranty issue but I suspect not since SVS would always find a way to help you even if it was out of warranty.

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 | Oppo BDP-105D | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote

Last edited by DenonLover; Today at 12:23 PM.
DenonLover is online now  
post #10618 of 10619 Unread Today, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
MitchPope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
No such luck for me. Everything appears to be connected properly.

MitchPope is online now  
post #10619 of 10619 Unread Today, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post
No such luck for me. Everything appears to be connected properly.
Hook up the wires from a speaker that has output to the sub. See if you get output from the sub.
Mongo171 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off